Interviewers didn't really ask me about why medicine. Is this a bad sign?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

s.nd

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I had an interview at a top 5 school and was interviewed by two committee members. Both of them were very nice and they said my journey was pretty unique in their opinion. However, only one of them asked "why medicine" very briefly and cut me off in the middle of my answer to ask a follow up question. In both cases, most of the questions they asked me related to my life in the U.S., why I chose to study here, if I plan to stay here or practice medicine back home, etc (I'm an international student from the Middle East and came to the U.S. to attend a college - HYP if it matters). One of the interviewers said he was really impressed that I came all the way from my country to attend my undergrad and managed to do well academically and socially (referenced my LORs).

While this experience was nice, I can't help but wonder if I should have steered the conversation more towards medicine? I just couldn't do it since the natrual flow they were going with focused more on my life. Is this a red flag in your opinions? At the end of the day this was a medical school interview so I expected to be asked more about medicine, patients, etc. I was wondering if anyone has had this type of interview before and if so, did it result in R/WL?

Thank you!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
If they were concerned or had questions after having read your application, you would have been asked. That you weren't asked is evidence that the answer was clear from the written application.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Trying to devine whether you will get into a school based on the questions you were asked during interviews is not likely to be a fruitful endeavor. I know that this is a frustrating answer, but you would be better served by focusing on the things you can control. Good luck . . . I sincerely hope you get into your first choice school.