MPH, uGPA: 3.84, uSGPA: 3.79, 28R MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jgalt42

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
California Resident
Graduated BA in Psych in 2009
Graduated MPH in Health Management in 2011 at an ivy league university
Working full time as a clinical quality analyst for a healthcare organization for low-income patients

I do have a red flag besides the MCAT score. During my first semester in grad school, I did not pass an MBA class (corporate finance). I did retake it the following year. I was put on AP, but was taken off of it. Other than that my grades were fine in grad school (though my school's grading system was pass/fail)

Experience
- Lots of clinic and shadowing experience in undergrad
- Was a residential technician for a transitional living center for brain injured patients during my freshman year in undergrad
- Research assistant at a neuroeconomics lab for 2 years
- Research fellowship for radiology research on tourette’s syndrome during the summer 2006
- Interned at the World Health Organization at the department of health systems financing in summer 2010
- Was a student organization consultant for two years advising student organizations at my college
- Started an honor society
- Started an international volunteering group where I took 10 students down with me to northeast brazil to volunteer at an orphanage and also do some fieldwork on the healthcare system there. One of the most eye opening experiences of my life!
- Was the social director at my grad school’s student association
- During my second year in grad school- I worked as administrative support for the division of prenatal diagnostics at the school of medicine at the university at my grad school
- Clinical quality analyst position for a big health services organization working on

Awards
- Outstanding senior man - graduating award
- Commencement speaker in undergrad
- Phi Beta Kappa
- Undergraduate leadership award

MCAT
- 28P (PS:10/VR:7/BS:11) in 2008
- 28R (PS:10/VR:8/BS:10) in April 2012

My LOR will be
(My undergrad doesn’t have a premed committee)
- Physics prof in undergrad
- Neuroscience prof
- Portuguese prof that taught my entire team medical Portuguese before we went to Brazil

Grad
- My academic advisor

Professional
- 2 Medical Directors from work (for allopathic schools)
- A DO physician from my work (for osteopathic schools)

I don't plan on retaking. How many schools should I apply to? How good of a chance do I have for allopathic schools?

Members don't see this ad.

I think you're in a good position at most mid-tier schools and maybe even a few top 40s.

You have a good shot, just apply broadly. I don't know what number to give you, I don't know your financial situation, maybe 10 M.D. and 10 D.O.??

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks, will apply broadly. This amount of uncertainty sucks though, but I will move forward.

Hi everyone,

These are the schools I'm applying to. Are these within reach?

MD:
Florida International University College of Medicine
Rosalind Franklin University
Commonweatlh Medical College
Loma Linda University
University of Louisville School of Medicine
Wright State University
Creighton University School of Medicine
East Virginia Medical School
Indiana University
Medical College of Wisconsin
Saint Louis University
UC Davis
UCLA - Thomas Haider
University of Miami
University of Missouri- Kansas City
University of South Florida
University of Toledo College of Medicine
University of Washington
Albany Medical College
Drexel University College of Medicne
George Washington University School of Medicine
Rush Medical College
Temple University
University of Central Florida
University of Maryland School of Medicine
University of Vermont
Virginia Commonwealth University
Wake Forest
Uniform Services University of the Health Sciences
Brown University
Georgetown University School of Medicine

DO:
Western U
Rocky Vista
Touro U California
Touru U Nevada
PCOM
Nova Southeastern

Hi everyone,

These are the schools I'm applying to. Are these within reach?

MD:
Florida International University College of Medicine Very IS friendly over > 80 % matriculants are FL residents. It's a waste of money in my opinion.
Rosalind Franklin University
Commonweatlh Medical College
Loma Linda University You might want to remove unless you know more about their ideology. It's a very religious school.
University of Louisville School of Medicine I'm a little iffy about this since it's IS (Instate) friendly close to 75 % IS matriculants but if you think the secondary fees are worth it for only 25 % available OOS (out of state) seats then go ahead and apply?
Wright State University
Creighton University School of Medicine
East Virginia Medical School
Indiana University Don't even mess with this, unless you have close ties you're screwed. 85 % IS is not friendly at all towards OOS Cali applicants.
Medical College of Wisconsin
Saint Louis University
UC Davis
UCLA - Thomas Haider MCAT too low it would be a waste of money but if you really want to and have extra money sure.
University of Miami
University of Missouri- Kansas City
University of South Florida
University of Toledo College of Medicine
University of Washington
Albany Medical College
Drexel University College of Medicne
George Washington University School of Medicine Too many applicants and even though you have a chance it's too slim to waste a 100+ bucks over
Rush Medical College
Temple University
University of Central Florida
University of Maryland School of Medicine
University of Vermont
Virginia Commonwealth University
Wake Forest
Uniform Services University of the Health Sciences
Brown University MCAT too low
Georgetown University School of Medicine would remove for similar reasoning given as George Washington but its up to you. Make sure you know about the social mission focus and "Cura Persnalis" ideology at this school.

DO:
Western U
Rocky Vista
Touro U California
Touru U Nevada
PCOM
Nova Southeastern

DO schools are all good. MD schools some are bolded for reasoning stated above.

Recommendations:-

I would add NYMC since its Cali friendly and you meet the 10 percentile for MCAT. Out of the bolder ones if you want to keep UCLA, GW and Georgetown then sure just make sure you know the slight drawbacks you do have a slight chance don't get me wrong. I personally would rather apply to UCI. I would also add Pennsylvania state university even though your stats are borderline you might get in.

Last edited:
DO schools are all good. MD schools some are bolded for reasoning stated above.

Recommendations:-

I would add NYMC since its Cali friendly and you meet the 10 percentile for MCAT. Out of the bolder ones if you want to keep UCLA, GW and Georgetown then sure just make sure you know the slight drawbacks you do have a slight chance don't get me wrong. I personally would rather apply to UCI. I would also add Pennsylvania state university even though your stats are borderline you might get in.

Thanks for the feedback! I'd love to add NYMC, but I don't have biochem under my belt. UCI's 10th percentile MCAT is at 29, should I still apply?

I'm not going to apply to UCLA directly, but I actually graduated from UCR and we have the Thomas Haider program, although not quite sure if the UCR med school is opening this year. Which does provide me with another school.

Also, do you think I have a good shot at VCU? Thanks again for your help!

Thanks for the feedback! I'd love to add NYMC, but I don't have biochem under my belt. UCI's 10th percentile MCAT is at 29, should I still apply?

I'm not going to apply to UCLA directly, but I actually graduated from UCR and we have the Thomas Haider program, although not quite sure if the UCR med school is opening this year. Which does provide me with another school.

Well a 10 percentile simply means that the bottom 10 % of the class that was accepted had a MCAT score below 29 and above 29. So, I think with a 28 you have a slight chance. You will probably have a higher chance at UCI than UCLA.

Also, do you think I have a good shot at VCU? Thanks again for your help!

VCU has a bottom 10 percentile of 28 so you're not at a bad position but the reason why I can't tell you if you have a chance at VCU is because their acceptance procedure is a little complex. The thing about VCU is that they perform committee scorings. So how it works is that your file is initially reviewed by an evaluator and he decides if you get sent a secondary application. After filling out the secondary application you are given a "base score". Based on how your base score is ranked which is "subjective" you will be invited for an interview. Your interviewer then scores you and takes you at front of a 20+ individual committee which includes 4th year med students, residents, physicians, professors and researchers etc. Your interviewer presents his score and talks about you and then you are given a final score. If you score a 1 out of 5 you're accepted, 2 out of 5 you're okay might get accepted in one of the 4 acceptance cycles that VCU gives out. 3/5 most likely wait list, 4/5 and 5/5 is a rejection. I don't know how your ECs will impress the school if it will or if it won't. So all I can tell you is that VCU accepts students based on a very holistic approach. VCU tends to appreciate life experiences. LORs and ECs. If you're strong in those dimensions then I don't think the 28 MCAT score will hinder you from an acceptance. They are known for rejecting people with high stats and accepting people with lower stats at times so stay positive!

Well a 10 percentile simply means that the bottom 10 % of the class that was accepted had a MCAT score below 29 and above 29. So, I think with a 28 you have a slight chance. You will probably have a higher chance at UCI than UCLA.

VCU has a bottom 10 percentile of 28 so you're not at a bad position but the reason why I can't tell you if you have a chance at VCU is because their acceptance procedure is a little complex. The thing about VCU is that they perform committee scorings. So how it works is that your file is initially reviewed by an evaluator and he decides if you get sent a secondary application. After filling out the secondary application you are given a "base score". Based on how your base score is ranked which is "subjective" you will be invited for an interview. Your interviewer then scores you and takes you at front of a 20+ individual committee which includes 4th year med students, residents, physicians, professors and researchers etc. Your interviewer presents his score and talks about you and then you are given a final score. If you score a 1 out of 5 you're accepted, 2 out of 5 you're okay might get accepted in one of the 4 acceptance cycles that VCU gives out. 3/5 most likely wait list, 4/5 and 5/5 is a rejection. I don't know how your ECs will impress the school if it will or if it won't. So all I can tell you is that VCU accepts students based on a very holistic approach. VCU tends to appreciate life experiences. LORs and ECs. If you're strong in those dimensions then I don't think the 28 MCAT score will hinder you from an acceptance. They are known for rejecting people with high stats and accepting people with lower stats at times so stay positive!

Thanks, do you think I can put Tulane in here as well?