Mph/mba

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zmkelchn

patagomate
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I’m considering pursuing a dual MPH/MBA program so I can combine public (and potentially international health) along with the business and administrative side of medicine. I don't have a specific question, but was wondering if anyone else is currently in a program such as this one or has completed a dual MPH/MBA program. Additionally, does anyone have any advice for a program like this.
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm finishing up my MPH and im not sure you would need an MBA if you choose the health policy and management option. I'm still debating it myself

I'm finishing up my MPH and im not sure you would need an MBA if you choose the health policy and management option. I'm still debating it myself

I don't think its something you necessarily need, but may give you an edge in some circumstances. Additionally, an MBA would give you a broader and deeper understanding of business. An MD, for example, does not need an MBA to run a hospital, so nor does someone with an MPH. I think it comes down to how you market your degree. I would however not mind doing an MPH in international health, then getting an MBA with a focus in health care administration. Some school have dual 2-3 year programs, or you can work for a while and then go to some top MBA programs (Wharton, for example). So while I don't think you have to have an MBA, I think it would give you a better sense of business and may give you an edge over some other people.

Members don't see this ad :)
so my question to you is: do you think the MBA is worth it (cost and time)? especially when you could do without it? How much of an edge will it really give you? Im asking because i literally just got accepted to 2 MBA programs this week (I get my MPH in December) and I'm debating if it is worth the effort, especially when it is not a top school and I really dont want that 100k tuition debt on me

so my question to you is: do you think the MBA is worth it (cost and time)? especially when you could do without it? How much of an edge will it really give you? Im asking because i literally just got accepted to 2 MBA programs this week (I get my MPH in December) and I'm debating if it is worth the effort, especially when it is not a top school and I really dont want that 100k tuition debt on me

Worth the time? Yes, I think so. Most MBA programs are only two years. However, you have to look at your net return in this case. If you are going to slip 100k in dept, perhaps it would be better to get a job in public health, and take MBA classes part time so you have an income to pay for the program/lessen the initial debt. A very of large portion of MBAs do this. You also have the chance that your employer will pay for your MBA if they feel it will help the company (I'm not sure how readily they would do that though). It's never good to start out with a ton of debt, as you may always be playing catch up. Furthermore, simply having the MBA will not necessarily get you a higher paying job when you are starting out. It may, however, give you an edge later on when competing for senior executive positions at a large hospital, large groups (CDC, WHO), etc. So, I really do think the MBA is worth the time and effort, but perhaps not at the prospect of going into a large amount of debt initially. With this being said, each individual case is different. Some employer may see your MPH/MBA and start you off at a relatively high position with high salary right away. Most, however, work their way up. I would imagine some of the senior positions can be fairly lucrative as well. Nevertheless, it's really impossible to give an exact yes or no answer.

Congrats on being accepting. How much business background did you have prior to applying to a MBA program? Keep in mind I can't offer any professional advice though because I'm yet to even enter the working world or graduate from my undergrad university. This simply represents my opinion and take on this situation, and I still have many of the same questions myself.

Best of luck!

Worth the time? Yes, I think so. Most MBA programs are only two years. However, you have to look at your net return in this case. If you are going to slip 100k in dept, perhaps it would be better to get a job in public health, and take MBA classes part time so you have an income to pay for the program/lessen the initial debt. A very of large portion of MBAs do this. You also have the chance that your employer will pay for your MBA if they feel it will help the company (I'm not sure how readily they would do that though). It's never good to start out with a ton of debt, as you may always be playing catch up. Furthermore, simply having the MBA will not necessarily get you a higher paying job when you are starting out. It may, however, give you an edge later on when competing for senior executive positions at a large hospital, large groups (CDC, WHO), etc. So, I really do think the MBA is worth the time and effort, but perhaps not at the prospect of going into a large amount of debt initially. With this being said, each individual case is different. Some employer may see your MPH/MBA and start you off at a relatively high position with high salary right away. Most, however, work their way up. I would imagine some of the senior positions can be fairly lucrative as well. Nevertheless, it's really impossible to give an exact yes or no answer.

Congrats on being accepting. How much business background did you have prior to applying to a MBA program? Keep in mind I can't offer any professional advice though because I'm yet to even enter the working world or graduate from my undergrad university. This simply represents my opinion and take on this situation, and I still have many of the same questions myself.

Best of luck!

Thanks for the response man. I got my BA in Psych in 2007 and have been working in behavioral health and health admin since. I started my mph last year and will be finishing in December. I dont have much of a business background as most of my work revolves around compliance and staff training/development.

Thanks for the response man. I got my BA in Psych in 2007 and have been working in behavioral health and health admin since. I started my mph last year and will be finishing in December. I dont have much of a business background as most of my work revolves around compliance and staff training/development.

This is my worry as well because I don't have much of a business background at all, and feel it may be hard to convey why I’m interested in business if I have nothing to base my decision off of. I'm going to try to fit in some general business classes during this last semester and perhaps in my gap year.

hey. There is a psychologist in one of my classes right now ( MBA). He has a pretty involved position administratively in a mental health system of some size. I think he finds the material very useful but I do not think he has an MPH either.

I am not sure about taking on a lot of debt. I like the suggestion of part time education with fulltime work ( obviously as I chose that path). I think employer tuition support at some level is quite common among my classmates. Good luck.

hey. There is a psychologist in one of my classes right now ( MBA). He has a pretty involved position administratively in a mental health system of some size. I think he finds the material very useful but I do not think he has an MPH either.

I am not sure about taking on a lot of debt. I like the suggestion of part time education with fulltime work ( obviously as I chose that path). I think employer tuition support at some level is quite common among my classmates. Good luck.

Are you doing your MPH or MBA part time?

hi rysa4, am interested in the MBA at amherst and have looked at all their info. can u give ur views on the program?

hi rysa4, am interested in the MBA at amherst and have looked at all their info. can u give ur views on the program?

i'd also be interested in hearing reviews on the MBA program at UMass at Amherst

the umass amherst online mba is a great program imo, especially for a health care professional....lots of doctors, nurses, etc are in the program

its a good program, teachers are fair, passing the classes isnt that hard as long as you do the work

my only problem is that foundation of business class, imo its a waste of a class for 3grand