MPH Fall 2018: Applied, Accepted, Waitlisted, Rejected!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Congratulations! Good for you that you heard back so early. What degree did you apply for? Also, did Johns Hopkins email you?
I also got acceptance today from JHU today for the one year MPH program and yes I did receive an email

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I also got acceptance today from JHU today for the one year MPH program and yes I did receive an email
Congratulations! I’m assuming you all are hearing back since you applied to the 1 year MPH. I applied to the MHS in epidemiology (Oct. 12), so I think it’ll take a little while longer for me. Anywho, congrats!

Congratulations! Good for you that you heard back so early. What degree did you apply for? Also, did Johns Hopkins email you?

Thanks! I applied to the MPH program (class of 2019). I received an email notice.

Members don't see this ad :)

Congratulations! I checked out your initial post and it looks like we are both later in career students. Are you planning on visiting the school?

Congratulations! I’m assuming you all are hearing back since you applied to the 1 year MPH. I applied to the MHS in epidemiology (Oct. 12), so I think it’ll take a little while longer for me. Anywho, congrats!

I applied for the Global Disease Epidemiology & Control (GDEC) MSPH, so I'm also hoping this!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I would go to applicant days at UMich, contact faculty that you might want to work with, get a good appreciation of what the school is about and show your interest in them.

Good Luck!

Undergrad School: Miami University
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.82
Major/Minor: Psychology / Neuroscience, Spanish, & Latin American Studies
GradGPA (if applicable):
Grad Studies (if applicable):
GRE (including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable): 164 V (94%tile), 159 Q (73%tile), 5.0 W (93%tile) - took 3 years ago lol
Experience/Research (please, be brief):
Undergrad:
  • Research assistant in 2 psychology labs concurrently (worked in one lab for full 2 years, worked in a second for 6 months before moving to the third for 1.5 years; 3 labs total)
  • Created a senior research thesis through two of these labs
  • 8 research presentations at various conferences
  • Volunteer research assistant at a hospital for a summer
Postgrad:
  • Research assistant at a university under the head of the psychiatry & brain sciences department
  • Have worked here 2 years, will be close to three by the time I (hopefully!) leave
  • Possibly one publication by the time I apply, probably not considering the timeline
Other:
  • Volunteered with an activist group pressuring local members of Congress to keep the ACA
  • Tutored Hispanic adults getting their high school diplomas
  • Resident assistant during college
LOR: 2 from the professors whose labs I worked in during my undergrad, one from my current boss (professor & head of psychiatry/brain sciences dept)

Special factors: Not really a special factor but I graduated in 3 years so my time in the research labs was a longer percentage of my time there than it looks.

***Please include the following whenever possible: specific concentration/track, dates, type of correspondence (phone, email, letter, etc.), scholarships/grants.***

Interested in: Epidemiology across the board - UMich, Boston U, Emory, UIC, Columbia, OSU
Applied(include the date of application):
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Whew! After that novel of a post, do y'all think I should apply to more places? Mine are based on geographical locations I like -> ranking/good program -> price tag. I'm not super interested in Johns Hopkins/Harvard. UMich is my top choice (in-state as well) and I would reallyyyy love a scholarship there. Thoughts?
d

Congratulations! I checked out your initial post and it looks like we are both later in career students. Are you planning on visiting the school?
Yes it does feel a bit weird that I will be going back to school after so many years:) currently I live and work in Cape Town South Africa so wont be able to visit before June once I come for the orientation.
But listen did you get any information about merit scholarship with your acceptance email as I received a Standard email saying committee found you as an outstanding candidate. Am not worried about financing it totally out of my pocket so hoping for some kind of help in funding

Yes it does feel a bit weird that I will be going back to school after so many years:) currently I live and work in Cape Town South Africa so wont be able to visit before June once I come for the orientation.
But listen did you get any information about merit scholarship with your acceptance email as I received a Standard email saying committee found you as an outstanding candidate. Am not worried about financing it totally out of my pocket so hoping for some kind of help in funding

I feel the same way you do re: going back to school - but I am super excited and will appreciate the experience more than I did law school (which I went to directly from college). I didn't get any information on merit scholarships. I checked out the 2017 JHU class page and people mentioned that one should call the admissions office and inquire when merit scholarship evaluations will commence - and that if one received a relatively early admissions offer, one is probably under consideration for a merit scholarship. So, it is worth a shot.

I am super excited about Hopkins and about 95% sure that is where I will end up - hope we can stay in touch if we both end up there!

I feel the same way you do re: going back to school - but I am super excited and will appreciate the experience more than I did law school (which I went to directly from college). I didn't get any information on merit scholarships. I checked out the 2017 JHU class page and people mentioned that one should call the admissions office and inquire when merit scholarship evaluations will commence - and that if one received a relatively early admissions offer, one is probably under consideration for a merit scholarship. So, it is worth a shot.

I am super excited about Hopkins and about 95% sure that is where I will end up - hope we can stay in touch if we both end up there!
I am 100% sure about Hopkins as it was always as it was always my first choice so will definitely stay in touch. Will inbox you my email and u can do the same. Keep me posted if u hear anything about funding

Undergrad School: Small University (~2600)
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 2.9 (biology classes were hard for me) and I also have a class from a community college
Major/Minor: Biology and Political Science
GradGPA (if applicable):
GRE (including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable): GRE took it last year got around 150, will be retaking in November
Experience/Research (please, be brief): Volunteered at a hospital 1 summer, lab experience from my university, worked in a multicultural library, currently working in a medical office as a receptionist, I have lots of customer service experience due to jobs throughout high school and college.
Special factors:
-English is not my native language (bilingual)
-Currently working on a research project at a community college based on engineering and health

***Please include the following whenever possible: specific concentration/track, dates, type of correspondence (phone, email, letter, etc.), scholarships/grants.***

Interested in: Emory, DePaul, GWU, BU, Tulane
Applied(include the date of application):
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

I'm taking all the advise I can get.

Last edited:
I am 100% sure about Hopkins as it was always as it was always my first choice so will definitely stay in touch. Will inbox you my email and u can do the same. Keep me posted if u hear anything about funding

Will do! Looking forward to staying in touch.

I am currently a first year at Columbia. From what I recall, merit scholarships are also based heavily on GPA. I did not receive one so I am not entirely sure about the criteria, but I vaguely remember that a high GPA was a major deciding factor. Columbia is pretty strict regarding meeting the requirements though for a merit scholarship. I had a very similar GRE score as yours, so honestly, I would not sweat it. Focus on your personal statement, which plays a huge role in this application process honestly. I also recommend applying to outside scholarships just in case if you end up not receiving a merit scholarship. I am currently taking out loans, and though receiving the highest amount possible, it does not sufficiently cover the entire cost of tuition at Columbia.

How is the environment at Columbia?

Undergrad School: University of Massachusetts Amherst
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.595/3.66
Major/Minor: Public Health with a minor in History
GradGPA (if applicable): NA
Grad Studies (if applicable): NA
GRE (including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable):9/29/17 V155 (69%) Q153 (51%) AW4.0 (60%)
Intern at a local opioid abuse treatment clinic ~4 months
SMDEP 2016 Participant at UVA
Executive Board member of sorority ~1.5 years
Public Health and Education advocate for a nonprofit centralized in Haiti and Mississippi ~8 months

Special factors:
First generation college student
Diagnosed with severe anxiety and depression
LGBT woman

Interested in:
Applied
(include the date of application): Oregon State (10/7) Minnesota (10/7) GWU (10/7) USC (CA) (10/17) San Diego State (10/18) Michigan (10/24)
All for Health Policy and Management*** Applications verified on 10/17
Accepted: GWU (10/25) Minnesota (11/2)
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Undergrad School: Large Private School
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.2 (thanks premed)
Major/Minor: Psych, minor public health, concentration premed
GRE (including date taken): Feb '17. 154V, 147Q, 4.5W
  1. psych/public health Research Volunteer - Summer
  2. MCH Public health internship - 4.5 months
  3. Family Planning internship at global health NGO - 3 months (at time of application)
  4. Medical assistant - 1.5 years
  5. Emergency room med tech - 6 months
  6. Some other stuff I dont remember. School leadership, tutoring, etc.

LOR: 3 from public health internship supervisors/directors.

Special factors: immigrant, minority

Interested in: Global Health, Women's health

Applying to: GW Global health

Accepted: GW - Spring admit. Done! Woo!
Rejected: N/A
Waitlisted: N/A

Last edited:
Undergrad School: Large Private School
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.2 (thanks premed)
Major/Minor: Psych, minor public health, concentration premed
GRE (including date taken): Feb '17. 154V, 147Q, 4.5W
  1. psych/public health Research Volunteer - Summer
  2. MCH Public health internship - 4.5 months
  3. Family Planning internship at global health NGO - 3 months (at time of application)
  4. Medical assistant - 1.5 years
  5. Emergency room med tech - 6 months
  6. Some other stuff I dont remember. School leadership, tutoring, etc.

LOR: 3 from public health internship supervisors/directors.

Special factors: immigrant, minority

Interested in: Global Health, Women's health

Applying to: GW Global health

Accepted: GW. Done! Woo!
Rejected: N/A
Waitlisted: N/A

When did you apply and when did you hear back?

Undergrad School: Top 40 school
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 2.7 - was pre-med, it killed my gpa
Major/Minor: Sociology, Public Health minor
GRE (including date taken): October - 150Q 151V 3.0
  1. Employed in operations/administration at a global health nonprofit with gov ties - 2 years
  2. Employed in operations/administration at a national health based nonprofit - 2 years
  3. Studied abroad and interned at WHO
  4. Interned at various at health based organizations during all of undergrad

LOR: 3 from past bosses. I'm worried about not submitting any academic letters but I've been out of school for a good amount of years and only worked at small organizations since graduation so I know my letters will be top notch compared to ok letters from undergrad.

Special factors: immigrant, first-generation college student

Interested in: Global Health, Health Policy & Management

Applying to: Columbia MPH, Yale MPH
, UCB MPH, Boston MPH, GWU MPH, NYU MPH, Emory MPH, Tulane MPH, Hopkins MSPH.
I know a lot of these are reach schools (emphasize reach) with my stats, but I'm going for it since I hear many schools take a holistic approach. Feedback is welcomed!

Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:
Are you considering retaking the GRE? Doing so may increase your chances of acceptance.

Hey all, I'm a long-time lurker here! I'm wondering if anyone has any advice for my reach schools (Columbia, Emory) or suggestions for other safety schools I could apply to. I'll be talking to a Columbia admissions counselor next week! Wishing you all the best of luck with the application process!!! :)

Undergrad School:
Big State School
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.37 (3.40 SOPHAS)
Major/Minor: Biology B.S., Anthropology B.S., Global Health Certif.
GRE: 11/17 - 158V, 155Q, 4.5 AW

Experience/Research:
  • ~1/2 year - created health improvement plan posters, trained a team in quality improvement, analyzed county data, and audited immunization records at local public health department in community health
  • ~1/2 year - did lots of literature reviews on health beliefs, literacy, and outcomes of underrepresented populations for research group
  • 1 year - bioinformatics research work on influenza and HPV
  • 2 years - global health research work focusing on diarrheal disease
  • 1 month - interned at NGO focusing on anti-FGM in West African country
  • 1 year prep work/1 month actual fieldwork - principal investigator of research project in West African country
  • 1 year - service chair for sorority I helped found; organized fundraising and awareness events for health-related philanthropy
Special factors:
  • Gates Millennium Scholarship
  • First generation college student, minority
  • Fluent in a foreign language, intermediate in another
  • First place award for research poster
  • Presented at numerous research symposiums/poster sessions
LOR from:
  • MD/PhD, principal investigator for international research internship — knows my ability to do independent research very well
  • Medical anthropology professor, knows about my work ethic, my ability to tie together my own background to med anthro (Personal statement is heavily focused on this aimed @ Columbia’s MPH in SMS )
  • Anthropology professor, knows work ethic and ability to do independent research in bioinformatics
Interested in: Social epidemiology, social determinants of health, behavioral health, infectious epi (certificate)

Applying to: Columbia SMS (11/28), Emory GH (1/3), BU (11/20), Harvard HSB (12/1)
Accepted: BU (12/21), Columbia (1/26), Emory (1/31)
Rejected: Harvard (3/1)
Waitlisted:

Last edited:
Undergrad School: UC Irvine - graduated June 2017
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.93 (UC Irvine - Summa Cum Laude) 3.7 (community college)
Major/Minor: Public Health (BA) & Psychology (AA)
GRE
(including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable): Taking November 11th
- 1 year Honors Thesis on perceptions of safety and physical activity in a underserved latino neighborhood
- 2.5 years as a receptionist at a children's hospital
- 6 months as administrative intern for Family Medicine Residency Program
- 4 years volunteering at Children's Hospital
- 3 month internship for the University's Faculty/Staff Wellness department
- 6 month internship at a Food Bank
- 3 months working for a Family Medicine Residency Program (just started this job).
Special factors:
- Public Health Honors, Campuswide Honors, University Honors
- Spanish Fluency
- 3 strong letters of Recommendation(2 from professors who worked with me on my research study and 1 from Family Medicine department head)
- Minority (Hispanic) 1st generation student

Interested in: SDSU, CSUF, UCI, UCLA - All in community health/health promotion
Applied
(include the date of application):
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

I decided to apply last minute, so I haven't really studied all that much for the GRE. I think I'm going to score in the 140's range because I'm a horrible timed-test taker. I'm really nervous and I'm hoping schools will look at the whole application and not just stats. I'm thinking of applying to just California schools. Any advice? Can I get into an MPH program with a bad GRE score?

Last edited:
Undergrad School: State university
Undergrad GPA: 3.44 (According to WES)
Major/Minor: Bachelor of Dental Surgery

GRE Q: 155 V: 145 AWA: 3.0

TOEFL: 81

Experience: Two and half year of experience in private dental clinic.

Interested in: University of Texas Health Science Center- Houston, University of Texas A&M, George Washington University.

Please suggest me more universities safe or moderate for my profile.

Thank you.

Did you receive funding decision also or only acceptance??

Only acceptance - the email stated merit scholarship consideration would start in January, so I am keeping my fingers crossed. My focus is on health policy so DC (and hence, GW) is very appealing.

Only acceptance - the email stated merit scholarship consideration would start in January, so I am keeping my fingers crossed. My focus is on health policy so DC (and hence, GW) is very appealing.
So will you prefer GW over Hopkins??

And also when did you reply I received an email on 2 oct from GW that they will take one month so still waiting

On paper I prefer Hopkins, but I am reserving judgment until I take campus visits and get funding responses. I am also waiting on other schools so I plan to take my time to make a decision. Of course, all that can change.

Undergrad School: UC Irvine - graduated June 2017
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.93 (UC Irvine - Summa Cum Laude) 3.7 (community college)
Major/Minor: Public Health (BA) & Psychology (AA)
GRE
(including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable): Taking November 11th
- 1 year Honors Thesis on perceptions of safety and physical activity in a underserved latino neighborhood
- 2.5 years as a receptionist at a children's hospital
- 6 months as administrative intern for Family Medicine Residency Program
- 4 years volunteering at Children's Hospital
- 3 month internship for the University's Faculty/Staff Wellness department
- 6 month internship at a Food Bank
- 3 months working for a Family Medicine Residency Program (just started this job).
Special factors:
- Public Health Honors, Campuswide Honors, University Honors
- Spanish Fluency
- 3 strong letters of Recommendation(2 from professors who worked with me on my research study and 1 from Family Medicine department head)
- Minority (Hispanic) 1st generation student

Interested in: SDSU, CSUF, UCI, UCLA - All in community health/health promotion
Applied
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

I decided to apply last minute, so I haven't really studied all that much for the GRE. I think I'm going to score in the 140's range because I'm a horrible timed-test taker. I'm really nervous and I'm hoping schools will look at the whole application and not just stats. I'm thinking of applying to just California schools. Any advice? Can I get into an MPH program with a bad GRE score?
Personally, I think that you could get into quite a few MPH programs with low GRE scores. Your gpa is very good, your experience is great for your interests, and your LOR sound great, too. So, if you do score that low in the 140s in your GRE, I recommend writing a short little thing about it in your statement, explaining that you do not do well with timed, standardized tests, but that your gpa shows that you do very well with college courses, especially in the public health major. As for the schools you’re applying to, I think you’ll definitely be able to get into csuf (I know plenty of people who go there with far lower gpa’s and less experience than you). However, I do recommend trying to get your GRE score at or above at least 150, as some universities do have cut-off scores. But, the only reach school you’re applying to is UCLA, so you could be fine. Good luck.

Undergrad School: Medium State University
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.2/3.77 (pre-med classes messed me up)
Major/Minor: Health Administration and Policy (Public Health)
GradGPA (if applicable): N/A
Grad Studies (if applicable): N/A
GRE (including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable): 10/26
  • Research Assistant in a university social psychology lab for 6 months
  • Intern at Johns Hopkins Center for Learning and Health for behavioral research related to substance abuse and HIV/AIDS for a summer
  • Medical clinic volunteer in Panama
  • Shadowed an American internist in Nigeria for a summer
  • President and volunteer of a community service student organization for 1 year
  • Volunteered for a food security NGO for children for 2 years
  • Campus student advocate for food insecurity awareness
  • Sociology undergraduate teaching assistant for 2+ years (with a semester break)
  • Public Health course assignment assessor/"grader"
  • Secretary for a public health student org
  • Participant in the National Model African Union Conference
Special factors: black woman, lived abroad for 4 years, second-generation immigrant, Igbo fluency (beginner), French fluency (beginner)

LORS: Head of public health department public health internships, Sociology professor/ TA supervisor, Director of Africana studies department/former professor/club supervisor

Interested in: Global Health (especially in sub-Saharan Africa), Health Policy, Health Economics, Human Rights

Applying to: JHU MSPH- International Health/Health Systems, Columbia MPH- Health Policy and Management, NYU MPH- Global Health, Emory MPH- Global Health, UPitt MPH-Health Policy and Management, GW MPH- Global Health Policy, UPenn MPH-Global Health

** I know my GPA is very average and, by the looks of it, the competition this year is fierce. Am I in over my head?
Took the GRE today. 150Q 155V AW? Should I retake it? My first choice in schools is Hopkins.

Took the GRE today. 150Q 155V AW? Should I retake it? My first choice in schools is Hopkins.
My first score last year was 156Q, 155V, 4W and I chose to retake it and got up to 158Q, 162V, 4.5W. I am very glad I retook it, since I was on the fence but feel much more competitive now.

My first score last year was 156Q, 155V, 4W and I chose to retake it and got up to 158Q, 162V, 4.5W. I am very glad I retook it, since I was on the fence but feel much more competitive now.
Thanks!

Worrying about my lack of experience......

What are you talking about? You have a good number of relevant long-term public health experiences and your perfect quant score is going to catch eyes as well! :) (Can I borrow your brain for my GRE coming up?)

Hey everyone! It's been a while since I posted, I was a Fall 2016 applicant and was on this forum 24/7 :laugh:

I made a survey of the 2016 cohort's application experience which was well received; you can read the results here: MPH Fall 2016: Applied, Accepted, Waitlisted, Rejected!

It has a lot of useful advice and some reassurances (like the average GPA/GRE scores). If any of you have questions that were not covered by the above, feel free to reach out to me. I'd be happy to answer any specific questions about the application process (I applied to 10 schools) or look over your personal statement.

Also, I noticed some of you are applying to UNC Chapel Hill which I am currently attending, so I'm happy to chat with any prospective applicants. The Health Policy/Management department is having some webinars that you should check out: https://goo.gl/N8G9YS

Good luck!

Reactions: 9 users
Spring 2018 or 19 admit? I heard back today, too - but for fall 2018. Congrats to you!

Spring 2018 :) Oh wow that's early for Fall!! I didn't think they'd send acceptances that early.

Did you receive funding decision also or only acceptance??

Just acceptance. Praying for funding, but info is coming later so idk yet.

And also when did you reply I received an email on 2 oct from GW that they will take one month so still waiting

Mine took about the full month.

Undergrad School: Top 20 State School
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.4/3.8
Major/Minor: Major: Health Science, Minor: Biology and Communication
GradGPA
(if applicable):
GRE (including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable): 150 (V), 160 (Q), 4.5 (AWA)
Experience/Research
(please, be brief):
  • Research for 0.5 years
  • Elected Undergraduate Student Government Senator (USG) for the College of Medicine
  • Membership Coordinator for USG
  • Orientation Leader and helped admissions office for the rest of the year
  • Diversity Ambassador for the school
  • Work for the State's Commission on Minority Health
  • Vice President of my sorority
  • Volunteered a whole year at a Cancer Hospital
  • Registered Dental Assistant
  • Work at the Medical Center as a library assistant
  • Camp Counselor for 3 years at a High school leadership camp
  • Alpha Lambda Delta and Phi Eta Sigma National Honor Society
Special factors:

Interested in: University of Washington (MPH in Health Systems and Policy), Yale (MPH in Health Care Management), UIC (Health Policy and Administration), Dartmouth (Health Policy and Delivery Systems), Ohio State (Health Services Management and Policy), Johns Hopkins (MHA), UPenn, Northwestern (Public Health), Brown (Public Health and Public Affairs)
Applied
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Am I crazy? I just need some advice because I am freaking out!

Last edited:
I’ve been lurking on this forum for a while now and submitted my apps earlier this month. Now I have all this free time just to obsess while I wait to hear back. In the meantime, I figured I’d finally contribute my stats/timeline.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Undergrad School: Small private university
Undergrad GPA: 3.58
Major: Psychology Minor: Communication
GRE: Sept 2017 - 163 V, 159 Q, 4 AW

- 1 year undergraduate research assistant on cultural values and helpseeking behavior
- 2 years working in online advertising
- 2 years Peace Corps Volunteer. I was an education volunteer but most of my secondary projects were health-related. I held a leadership position on a PC health committee, facilitated health education projects, and wrote/received a grant for malaria projects.

Special factors: …intermediate proficiency in a Bantu language?? I don’t have any full time/direct public health experience, but I’m hoping my random background/Peace Corps service will still help.

Interested in: MPH - behavioral/social sciences, global health, health rights

Applied
: Columbia SMS, Emory Global Health, NYU CGPH, BU, Tulane International Health, UTHealth-Houston Health Promotion/Education

SOPHAS Submitted 10/16, Verified 10/17

Accepted: Tulane (11/1), UTHealth (11/13), Emory (12/7), BU (12/15), NYU (01/12)
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Good luck everyone!

Last edited:
At what point is it too late to retake the GRE and send it? For example, if I retake the GRE 12/1 for schools with 12/1 deadlines, send my other scores but letting the schools now that new scores are coming, and send my scores directly from test center on test date, will they possibly still look at my new scores?

At what point is it too late to retake the GRE and send it? For example, if I retake the GRE 12/1 for schools with 12/1 deadlines, send my other scores but letting the schools now that new scores are coming, and send my scores directly from test center on test date, will they possibly still look at my new scores?

Which school(s)? Because, I think it depends on the program. I spoke to University of Michigan about sending updated transcripts after app submission/the deadline and I was told (in a one-on-one meeting & on prospective students day) to just shoot the admission coordinator an email stating your are sending updated transcripts and they'll keep a lookout and add it to your application once it arrives. I can't speak to other programs but there's obviously always the possibility of having more stringent deadlines/policies

I’ve been lurking on this forum for a while now and submitted my apps earlier this month. Now I have all this free time just to obsess while I wait to hear back. In the meantime, I figured I’d finally contribute my stats/timeline.

Undergrad School: Small private university
Undergrad GPA: 3.58
Major: Psychology Minor: Communication
GRE: Sept 2017 - 163 V, 159 Q, 4 AW

- 1 year undergraduate research assistant on cultural values and helpseeking behavior
- 2 years working in online advertising
- 2 years Peace Corps Volunteer. I was an education volunteer but most of my secondary projects were health-related. I held a leadership position on a PC health committee, facilitated health education projects, and wrote/received a grant for malaria projects.

Special factors: …intermediate proficiency in a Bantu language?? I don’t have any full time/direct public health experience, but I’m hoping my random background/Peace Corps service will still help.

Interested in: MPH - behavioral/social sciences, global health, health rights

Applied
: Columbia SMS (10/16), Emory Global Health (--), NYU Community Health (10/20), BU (10/26), Tulane International Health (10/26), UTHealth-Houston Health Promotion/Education (10/26)

(I submitted most of my apps on 10/16 and above, I listed the date I got a confirmation email from the school that my application was complete and being reviewed. I still haven’t received a confirmation email from Emory though…)

Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Good luck everyone!
I contacted Emory admissions earlier this month, and they said they won't start downloading and reviewing apps until late November for Fall 2018 admission. Hope this helps!

Just took my GRE--got a 159V and 157Q. I'm really hoping on getting into Columbia, Yale, and JH (MSPH). Think these are good enough? I know they won't be for merit scholarships, though.

Just took my GRE--got a 159V and 157Q. I'm really hoping on getting into Columbia, Yale, and JH (MSPH). Think these are good enough? I know they won't be for merit scholarships, though.
Congrats on getting the GRE out of the way! You did great.

I do not have experience with JH, but I was accepted into Columbia and Yale with slightly lower GRE scores than you. Everything will largely be based on the rest of your application. The rest of the stats you posted look very strong, and from my experience applying and closely following the thread for my application year, I think you have a great shot at being accepted into these programs. Columbia has very strict GRE percentile cutoffs for receiving merit scholarships, typically above the 80th percentile but also based on the top stats of the accepted students that year. Yale takes a more holistic approach. I received a great merit scholarship from Yale, which I happily accepted!

Last edited:

I do not have experience with JH, but I was accepted into Columbia and Yale with slightly lower GRE scores than you. Everything will largely be based on the rest of your application. The rest of the stats you posted look very strong, and from my experience applying and closely following the thread for my application year, I think you have a great shot at being accepted into these programs. Columbia has very strict GRE percentile cutoffs for receiving merit scholarships, typically above the 80th percentile but also based on the top stats of the accepted students that year. Yale takes a more wholistic approach. I received a large merit scholarship from Yale, which I happily accepted!

Curious - what programs/departments did you apply to?

Curious - what programs/departments did you apply to?
Yale: Epidemiology of Microbial Diseases
Columbia: Certificates in Epidemiology and Infectious Disease Epidemiology

I contacted Emory admissions earlier this month, and they said they won't start downloading and reviewing apps until late November for Fall 2018 admission. Hope this helps!

Just got an email today saying they received my app and will be beginning the admission process "shortly". Back to waiting I guess...

In case it's helpful to anyone, my SOPHAS verification took exactly one week (app completed 10/24, verified 10/31)!

I do not have experience with JH, but I was accepted into Columbia and Yale with slightly lower GRE scores than you. Everything will largely be based on the rest of your application. The rest of the stats you posted look very strong, and from my experience applying and closely following the thread for my application year, I think you have a great shot at being accepted into these programs. Columbia has very strict GRE percentile cutoffs for receiving merit scholarships, typically above the 80th percentile but also based on the top stats of the accepted students that year. Yale takes a more holistic approach. I received a great merit scholarship from Yale, which I happily accepted!

Thank you!! Feeling better about it now :)

In case it's helpful to anyone, my SOPHAS verification took exactly one week (app completed 10/24, verified 10/31)!

I submitted mine 10/22 and my app was considered "complete." Just waiting on transcript verification. Hopefully, it gets done today too!