MPH Fall 2018: Applied, Accepted, Waitlisted, Rejected!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ConfusedAsUsual

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey ya'll,

Because SOPHAS opens up in 2 days (August 17th), I think it's about time we start freaking out together, while still helping each other out and sticking through this process. :)

Also, here's a pretty awesome comprehensive application thread written by wwmmkk, to get started: Advice for Applying to MPH Programs

This is the format used from previous years. Make sure to go back and update your post! That would help.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Undergrad School:
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA:
Major/Minor:
GradGPA
(if applicable):
Grad Studies (if applicable):
GRE (including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable):
Experience/Research (please, be brief):
Special factors:

***Please include the following whenever possible: specific concentration/track, dates, type of correspondence (phone, email, letter, etc.), scholarships/grants.***

Interested in:
Applied
(include the date of application):
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Good luck, everyone! And here's to starting in 2018!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
Undergrad School: Large State University
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.88, 3.96 (SOPHAS verified)
Major/Minor: Public Health (concentration in Sociology)
GradGPA
(if applicable): N/A
Grad Studies (if applicable): N/A
GRE (including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable): Taken 2/25/17 - Q: 153 (51%) V: 160 (86%) W: 5 (93%)
1. 2 Literature Reviews on Breastfeeding in Low Income Countries (not published)
2. Summer at a National Science Foundation Research Experience for Undergraduates
3. Research Presentations at multiple conferences and locations (including a U.S. embassy and an international conference)
4. Internships at a local health department, state health policy institute, and regulatory consulting firm
5. Research on the policy and politics of the U.S./U.K. response to HIV/AIDS
6. Co-founded a public health student leadership council at my college
7. Led a PIH Engage group at my college for a year and was a member for 3 years
8. Was on the Board of Partnerships for GlobeMed at my university
9. Student Representative for my college
10. 9 years as a pharmacy technician (part-time)​
LOR: Vice President of a state health policy institute, professor who led my NSF REU, professor who oversaw my HIV/AIDS research
Interested in: Health policy, health politics, development, health economics, social stratification, global and domestic healthcare systems

Applied(include the date of application): Yale MPH (Health Policy) (verified 9/14), BU MPH (Health Policy and Law) (verified 9/14), GWU MPH (Health Policy) (verified 9/14), Tufts (Health Services Management and Policy) (verified 9/14)
Accepted: GWU (10/3/17), BU (12/15/17), Tufts (12/20/17), Yale (12/21/17)
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

I know Yale is a reach (especially with my quant score on the GRE), but I'm primarily concerned with getting into BU. Any thoughts on other schools? I'm focused mainly on moving to the east coast.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Interested in: Yale MPH (Health Policy), BU MPH (Health Policy and Law), GWU MPH (Health Policy), Tufts (Health Services Management and Policy)
Applied(include the date of application):
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

I know Yale is a reach (especially with my quant score on the GRE), but I'm primarily concerned with getting into BU. Any thoughts on other schools? I'm focused mainly on moving to the east coast.

Woah, you have some killer stats! :) I personally don't feel Yale is a huge reach, on their website they do say: "No minimum standardized test scores exist for acceptance into the program, and no averages or medians are calculated. However, due to the significant quantitative nature of the program, a successful applicant typically scores in the 50th percentile or above on the quantitative section."

Also, if you're looking at the East Coast, maybe look into Columbia's Health Policy program?

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You have a very strong application, and I don't think the quant around 51% will hurt at all for even the highest caliber of schools. I do think you have a better than 50% chance of going to Harvard, JHU or Columbia (easily 50% chance at each of these schools so you'll probably get into 1 or 2 of them).

Bu is kind of a safety school, you'll get in there, unless they think a person with your stats and research experience wouldn't bother with them. If BU admitted everybody with high stats, a lot would go elsewhere so they'd be waiting forever to get people to commit.

There are plenty of people with stats and experience less than yours who get into the top schools all the time, in fact you're probably freakin some people out saying you won't get into BU . . .

Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.93
GradGPA
GRE (including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable): Taken 2/25/17 - Q: 153 (51%) V: 160 (86%) W: 5 (93%)
1. 2 Literature Reviews on Breastfeeding in Low Income Countries (not published)
2. Summer at a National Science Foundation Research Experience for Undergraduates
3. Research Presentations at multiple conferences and locations (including a U.S. embassy and an international conference)
4. Internships at a local health department, state health policy institute, and regulatory consulting firm
LOR: Vice President of a state health policy institute, professor who led my NSF REU, professor who oversaw my HIV/AIDS research
Interested in: Health policy, health politics, development, health economics, social stratification, global and domestic healthcare systems

Interested in: Yale MPH (Health Policy), BU MPH (Health Policy and Law), GWU MPH (Health Policy), Tufts (Health Services Management and Policy)
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Undergrad School: Medium State University
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.2/3.77 (pre-med classes messed me up)
Major/Minor: Health Administration and Policy (Public Health)
GradGPA (if applicable): N/A
GRE (including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable): 152Q/152V (1/6/18)
  • Recent Student Volunteer/Intern at the Center for Medicaid and Medicare (Jan 2018-May 2018)
  • Co-founder of my university chapter for the American Mock World Health Organization
  • Intern at Johns Hopkins Center for Learning and Health for behavioral research related to substance abuse and HIV/AIDS for 3 months
  • Research Assistant in a university social psychology lab for 6 months
  • Medical clinic volunteer in Panama for a week
  • Shadowed an American internist in Nigeria for a month
  • President and volunteer of a community service student organization for 1 year
  • Volunteered for a food security NGO for children for 2 years
  • Campus student advocate for food insecurity awareness
  • Sociology undergraduate teaching assistant for 2+ years (with a semester break)
  • Public Health course assignment assessor/"grader"
  • Secretary for a public health student org
  • Participant and in the National Model African Union Conference and vice president of university chapter
  • Special factors: black woman, lived abroad for 4 years, second-generation immigrant, Igbo fluency (beginner), French fluency (beginner)

LORS: Head of public health department public health internships, Sociology professor/ TA supervisor, Public Health Research Methods professor/Hopkins researcher

Interested in: Global Health, Health Policy, Health Economics

Applying to: JHU MSPH- International Health/Health Systems, Columbia MPH- Health Policy and Management, NYU MPH- Global Health, Emory MPH- Global Health, UPitt MPH-Health Policy and Management, GW MPH- Global Health Policy, UPenn MPH-Global Health

** I know my GPA is very average and, by the looks of it, the competition this year is fierce. Am I in over my head?

Last edited:
Woah, you have some killer stats! :) I personally don't feel Yale is a huge reach, on their website they do say: "No minimum standardized test scores exist for acceptance into the program, and no averages or medians are calculated. However, due to the significant quantitative nature of the program, a successful applicant typically scores in the 50th percentile or above on the quantitative section."

Also, if you're looking at the East Coast, maybe look into Columbia's Health Policy program?

Thanks for the Columbia suggestion! It used to be pretty high on my list, but I'm not entirely sure if that's the program for me. I've had a friend go there for the health policy program, and it sounds like some certificates require at least a 75% on your Q GRE. Plus, I believe they don't even consider you for merit based aid (which I definitely need) unless all of your standardized scores are above the 80%.

Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.85 (might change when calculating SOPHAS GPA)
Major/Minor: Psychology and Sociology, with a minor in Biology.
GRE (including date taken): Taking it October 15th (is this too late??)
Experience/Research
(please, be brief):
  1. Summer Independent research project in Madagascar regarding SRH status of women in rural villages
  2. Honors Thesis on effects of culture on sexual behaviors, knowledge, and perceptions among South Asian women (1 year)
  3. Planned Parenthood Fellowship and additional PP work (1 year)
  4. UN Women HeForShe involvement (2 years), some other NGO work
  5. Education/Research Volunteer for Domestic Violence Organization (1 year)
  6. Other Research: Data Analysis/qualitative research for University President (2 years), OB/GYN research assistant (2 years), neuroscience research assistant (1 year), independent research project regarding race perceptions
  7. Intern/Volunteer experience in clinics (3 years) and hospital setting (200 hours)
  8. A bunch of leadership experience (OL, RA, UG government), teaching assistant experience (Biology lab, Sociology, Organic chemistry), and awards.

LOR: Honors Thesis Professor, Director of Research Center in Madagascar, University President for whom I did research, Advisor of a globally-focused women's program, Professor/Mentor
Interested in: Sexual and Reproductive Health, Maternal and Child Health, Global Health, Social Epidemiology, Family and Population Health, Community Health. I'm also divided between research, policy, and healthcare (if I even want to pursue medicine anymore?).

Applying to: Columbia MPH
(Sociomedical Sciences), Yale MPH (SBS), UCB MPH (MCH), UCLA MPH (Community Health), Boston MPH (MCH), SBU MPH (Community Health), GWU MPH (MCH). Some other masters programs I'm considering that are more medically-focused (if I pursue that route) are: LSHTM (Reproductive and Sexual Health Research) and Stanford (Community Health & Prevention Research).

I'm also interested in Harvard's SM Epi in Reproductive, Perinatal and Pediatric and in their SM in Global Health and Population. However, can anyone speak to the work experience needed? For Global Health and Population (which is something I'm super into because of the women's health initiatives), admission committees look for 6 months minimum FTE...

Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Let me know if I'm in over my head, or if you know any other schools I can look into!

From what I've been reading, you have a decent shot at most of these programs. Unfortunately, I can't speak to the work requirements for Harvard (I would apply there too if that wasn't a requirement!). Best of luck!

Reactions: 1 user
** I know my GPA is very average and, by the looks of it, the competition this year is fierce. Am I in over my head?

What!? No! You have some incredible health experiences! Good luck on your GRE coming up!
Also, Igbo? That's so cool! I'm trying to learn Malagasy :)

Undergrad School: Small liberal arts college
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.95
Major/Minor: Major: Women's Studies, Minor: Social Justice Studies
GRE (including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable): February 2017 - 163Q, 161V, 5.0W
  • Research assistant in health behavior research lab; 3 presentations and 1 publication (2 years)
  • Founder and president of gender equality organization on campus (2 years)
  • Research-focused summer internship at reproductive health non-profit, continuing through school year (13+ months)
  • Volunteer for sexual assault survivor advocacy organization (2 yrs)
  • Various leadership positions in other student orgs; organized multiple events related to female empowerment & equality (3 years)
  • Student assistant in women's studies department - paid position (2 years)
LORs: Research advisor, women's studies professor, internship supervisor

Interested in:
Sexuality and sexual health, LGBT health, social determinants of health & health inequalities, health intervention implementation & evaluation, sexual health education, social justice & human rights (trying to combine all of these interests into one!)

Applying: Columbia MPH
(PopFam), Yale MPH (SBS), Brown MPH (SBS), Minnesota MPH (Community Health Education), Boston MPH (unsure of concentration), *MAYBE* Harvard MS (Epidemiology - Reproductive, Perinatal, and Pediatric Epi), UCLA MPH (Community Health Sciences)

Applied
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Am I reaching too high?! I'm not sure if I want to ultimately do research or community health programming. I hope I'm covering my bases with these programs...

I think you're stats are really high (good GPA, around 80th percentile for standardized testing, and good research experience). Although by looking at a lot of these forums, Yale could be considered a reach for most people. But you have a shot at almost every school you're interested in. Good luck!

Undergrad School: Cal State University
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.81/4.0
Major/Minor: B.S. in Health Science
GRE: (Took on 8/17): 162 V (91st percentile), 159 Q (73rd percentile), 5.5 AWA (98th percentile).
Experience/Research:
-Research assistant for 4 research projects involving chronic diseases/cancer/nutritional epidemiology.
-Have presented my research (first author) at 6 oral/poster presentations.
-Volunteer for a website that helps retrieve hard-to-find scientific journal articles in regards to nutrition/health.
-Have 1 publication in progress.

Special factors: Hispanic/Latino, speak 5 languages, taken several courses in epidemiology and public health, 3 strong letters of recommendation (all from professors I have done research with).

Specific concentration
: Epidemiology (with focus on chronic disease/cancer/nutrition)

Applied: Submitted on 10/5 (verified 10/12) to UCI (MS), UCLA (MPH), UC Berkeley (MPH), University of Washington (MPH), USC (MPH), Columbia (MPH), Tulane (MPH), Emory (MPH), Johns Hopkins (MHS), University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill (MSPH-to-PHD), George Washington (MPH), University of Michigan, Ann Arbor (MPH).

Accepted: Tulane (11/1), GWU (11/2), University of Michigan (11/17), Emory (12/7), UCI (12/15), Columbia (1/22), University of Washington (1/30), UCLA (1/31), UC Berekely (2/13), USC (2/19), Johns Hopkins (2/28), UNC (3/6)
Rejected: none!
Waitlisted: none!

Last edited:
Undergrad School: State University
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 2.6
Major/Minor: Individualized Studies: Biochemistry & Organic chemistry, Human Genetics & Pathology, Liberal Studies (December 2016 graduate)
GradGPA (if applicable):N/A
GRE: July 2017 - 158V (80%), 158Q (69%), 3.5 AWA (42%)

Experience/Research
- 6 Abstracts, 4 publications (1 as first author - manuscript in preparation)
- 1 year (current) FT research position in public ivy - molecular mechanism of radiosensitivity in breast cancer
- 1 year lab tech position evaluating human tissue for transplantation
- ~ 1 year volunteering in prominent cancer hospital
- American Foundation for Suicide Prevention volunteer
- 3+ years volunteering in drug addiction detox facility

Special factors:
- Graduated with 150 credits (changed majors a ton) but curriculum consisted of a very heavy/diverse science load including 1.5 years of graduate level biochemistry
- Had a pretty horrific event during my undergrad - affected GPA greatly. Included in addendum to all schools
- Have publicly spoken at banquets for suicide awareness and reducing mental health stigma
- Very strong LOR from MD/PhD (my PI), LOR from calculus professor from undergrad and LOR clinical director of previous lab

Interested in: Environmental Epi, epigenetic dysregulation

Applying to: University of Michigan MPH
(Epi & EHS, verified 12/15), Wayne State University MPH, Drexel MPH (EHS) , Emory MSPH(Epi/EHS Joint, verified 12/15), University of Pittsburgh MPH (EHS), Boston University (EHS, verified 12/15)

Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Last edited:
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.93
GradGPA

Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

I agree with all of the responses - your extensive (and impressive) research experience/dedication is certainly going to make it easy to overlook an average quant score.

Members don't see this ad :)
Undergrad School: Large state university
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.43 (could change when SOPHAS calculates it)
Major/Minor: Biology/Anthropology
GradGPA: N/A
Grad Studies: N/A
GRE Q: 151 V: 158 AWA: 5.0 (Taken June 2017)
Experience/Research:

- Former military with experience as a leader for two years in unit health and wellness. Primarily through education, prevention, and maintenance.
- Volunteer for two semesters helping elementary school kids become more involved in science and technology.

Special factors:
-
Strong LOR from my neuroscience professor as well as my epidemiology professor.

Interested in: MPH Epidemiology. Hopefully with a focus in either spatial epidemiology, molecular epidemiology, or neuroepidemiology.

Interested in: University of Texas Health Science Center- Houston (also applying to Austin campus), George Washington University, University of North Texas Health Science Center, San Diego State University.
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

* ** Anyone have any information on UNTHSC? I haven't heard much about them and it worries me.
Additionally, I'm worried about my lack of skills/experience compared to the rest of you on here.

* ** Anyone have any information on UNTHSC? I haven't heard much about them and it worries me.
Additionally, I'm worried about my lack of skills/experience compared to the rest of you on here.

You have background and experience in epi as well, right? I think your experiences are fine, and being former military is a positive special factor. And your stats (GPA and GRE) are right at/above the mean of UNTHSC and higher than UTHSC.

You have background and experience in epi as well, right? I think your experiences are fine, and being former military is a positive special factor. And your stats (GPA and GRE) are right at/above the mean of UNTHSC and higher than UTHSC.

I don't have a background in epi. In the military one of my duties was merely preventative education/action such as testing water samples and instructing the unit on types of vector borne diseases in the area etc.
Where did you get the stats on GPA from UTHSC? I looked on their site and couldn't find any.

I don't have a background in epi. In the military one of my duties was merely preventative education/action such as testing water samples and instructing the unit on types of vector borne diseases in the area etc.
Where did you get the stats on GPA from UTHSC? I looked on their site and couldn't find any.

This link: Prospective Student FAQs - Prospective Students - The University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston (UTHealth) School of Public Health

"UTHealth School of Public Health prefers an undergraduate GPA of at least 3.0 or higher on a 4.0 scale.

A minimum combined score of 298 for Masters programs and 308 for Doctoral programs on the Verbal and Quantitative sections of the General Test is preferred. For the Analytical Writing section, a score of at least 4.0 on a scale of 6.0 is preferred. Our institution code for ETS is 4479."

Undergrad School: University of Michigan
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.715
Major: Sociology (Honors) (Law, Justice, Social Change subplan); History of Art
Minor: Science, Technology, and Society
GradGPA
GRE (including date taken): taken on 7/31/17, V: 157, Q: 152, AWA: 5
- University Hospital volunteer for three years
- Co-President for two years of a public health club with chapters across the nation
- Worked a summer job for my University's Infection Prevention and Epidemiology department
– Worked temporarily as a Certified Nurse Aide
- Heavy involvement in four different campus social justice organizations
- Helped to organize one of the largest annual undergraduate, student led social justice conferences in the nation
- 1 year of wet lab research studying mechanisms of pulmonary fibrosis
- Conducting qualitative research and writing an Honors Thesis about the UN and how it responds to genocide allegations
- Volunteering at an Eye Clinic in India (when I was in high school)
LORs: Three professors from my University
Special factors: Woman of Color, daughter of immigrants/refugees, trilingual, some academic recognition for grades, Sociology Major of the Month

Interested in: Health Behavior and Health Education, Behavioral/Social Sciences, Community Health, Global Health, Human Rights
Applying to: BU MPH (Social Justice, Human Rights and Health Equity), UMich MPH (Health Behavior and Health Education), Minnesota MPH(Community Health Promotion), Tulane MPH (Health Education and Communication), GW MPH(Health Promotion), Columbia MPH (Sociomedical Sciences), Emory MPH (Behavioral Sciences and Health Education), Pittsburgh MPH (Behavioral and Community Health Sciences)

I'm really not sure of where I stand in relation to other applicants and am a little worried about my GRE Quant score. If anyone has any advice, recommendations, etc. they would be much appreciated! :)

Last edited:
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.92/4.0
Major/Minor: History & Classics (double major)
GradGPA (if applicable): 3.0
Grad Studies (if applicable): Law (J.D., Ivy League Law School)
GRE (including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable): LSAT - 85% (qualified for GRE waiver)
Experience/Research (please, be brief): Lawyer with 10+ years experience practicing at a top global law firm and 2 Fortune 100 companies. I manage a team of lawyers/support staff and have had significant experience overseeing complex, high stake, multi-country matters. On the health front I have the following experience:
1. College - peer safe sex advisor for 2 years
2. Law school - 2 years volunteering at an LGBT public interest organization; 1 summer internship at a public interest organization specializing in representing people with HIV/AIDS
3. Legal Career - extensive experience working on legal matters for companies that touched on public health concerns; head of LGBT employee resource group and oversee World AIDS Day events/AIDS marches.

After years of practicing law I have decided to move on to the health field - specifically, health policy and management.

LORS: Two legal colleagues and one college professor (mentor).

Special factors: Second career student; first in family to graduate college/law school; immigrant, PoC and gay male.

Interested in: Health Policy & Management (MPH)

Applying to: Harvard, Johns Hopkins, Columbia, Emory & others.
Accepted: Minnesota, Hopkins
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Since I am a non-traditional student and don't have a formal science/public health background, I don't know where exactly I stand as far as metrics are concerned (hence why I'm applying to a broad swath of programs). Any advice or observations are welcome! Thanks all, and good luck everyone!

Last edited:
This link: Prospective Student FAQs - Prospective Students - The University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston (UTHealth) School of Public Health

"UTHealth School of Public Health prefers an undergraduate GPA of at least 3.0 or higher on a 4.0 scale.

A minimum combined score of 298 for Masters programs and 308 for Doctoral programs on the Verbal and Quantitative sections of the General Test is preferred. For the Analytical Writing section, a score of at least 4.0 on a scale of 6.0 is preferred. Our institution code for ETS is 4479."

Thank you!

Undergrad School: Big 10
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.8 overall, 3.97 (Major)
Major/Minor: B.S. Earth and Environmental Science
Grad Studies (if applicable): 4.0 (Biostats, Epi, Intro to Pub Health)
GRE: Tested on 08/20. 160Q, 168V, 5 AW.
* ~3 years as an Environmental Geologist, primarily working on water quality/remediation projects under state/federal legislation. Led team of up to 15 engineers/geologists on hydrogeologic data analysis/data reduction for $45m water quality project
* Second author on paper analyzing new conceptual preferential flow pathways for contaminated sites connected to human receptors; previously presented at Clemson Hydrogeology Symposium, abstract recently accepted to AEG 2018
* Authored numerous white papers and technical memos on potential human health and environmental impacts of constituents found in a certain material at the type of sites I primarily worked at.
* Field trip assistant and manuscript editor for two Clemson Hydrogeology Symposium field trips.
* Educational outreach for students historically underrepresented in Earth Sciences; instructed high school students in environmental remediation and use of university lab equipment.
* Second author for peer reviewed paper published on Pulmonary Fibrosis (back in my pre-med days!), 1 year of associated biomedical research experience.
* Just accepted a position as a graduate assistant for a professor of epidemiology at local university, will have a few months of this experience by the time I apply.

Special factors:
Letters of recommendation from my mentor at work (co-author of the professional research papers and very familiar with my work), my Earth Science advisor from undergrad, and a former project manager who is now a hydrogeologist working for my state's Division of Environmental Quality.

Interested in:
Environmental health, water quality, climate change, disaster epidemiology.

Applied: Submitted 10/31/17, verified 11/08/17 (after a one day delay due to a mistake on my part)
GWU (Global EHS, 11/08), JHU (General MPH, 11/08), Boston (Env Hazard Assessment, 11/08), Minnesota (EHS, 11/08), Tulane (Disaster Management, 11/13), Colorado (EHS, 11/16), Harvard (EHS, 11/28), Berkeley (EHS, 11/29), Columbia (Env. Health Policy, 11/29), UNC (12/06), Yale (12/06)
Accepted: GWU (11/15), Tulane (11/20), Johns Hopkins (11/30), Minnesota (12/12), BU + 20k APEX (12/15), UNC (12/20)
Rejected: TBD
Waitlisted: TBD

Last edited:
Undergrad School: University of Michigan
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.79 overall, 3.96 (Major)
Major/Minor: B.S. Earth and Environmental Science
Grad Studies (if applicable): Currently taking graduate level courses in public health at local university.
GRE: Tested on 08/20. Unofficial scores were 160Q, 168V, pending AW score.
* ~3 years as an Environmental Geologist, primarily working on water quality/remediation projects under state/federal legislation. Led team of up to 15 engineers/geologists on hydrogeologic data analysis/data reduction for $45m water quality project
* Second author on paper analyzing new conceptual preferential flow pathways for contaminated sites connected to human receptors; previously presented at Clemson Hydrogeology Symposium, abstract recently accepted to AEG 2018
* Authored numerous white papers and technical memos on potential human health and environmental impacts of constituents found in a certain material at the type of sites I primarily worked at.
* Field trip assistant and manuscript editor for two Clemson Hydrogeology Symposium field trips.
* Educational outreach for students historically underrepresented in Earth Sciences; instructed high school students in environmental remediation and use of university lab equipment.
* Second author for peer reviewed paper published on Pulmonary Fibrosis (back in my pre-med days!), 1 year of associated biomedical research experience.
* Just accepted a position as a graduate assistant for a professor of epidemiology at local university, will have a few months of this experience by the time I apply.

Special factors:
I'm pursuing environmental public health. I'll hopefully get letters of recommendation from my mentor at work (co-author of the professional research papers and very familiar with my work), my Earth Science advisor from undergrad, and the hopefully the epi professor I'm currently assisting at the local university.

I have NO idea what to expect with regard to where to apply or where I might feasibly gain acceptance, as I am coming from quite a different background with very little public health experience! :( Guidance would be SO appreciated, feeling a bit lost!

Interested in: Columbia, UMich, George Washington, Tulane, Berkeley. Maybe JHU and/or Harvard? Other suggestions welcome!!
Applied:
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

You have very strong experiences and great stats! I see no reason why you shouldn't apply to JHU or Harvard. I'm not as well versed in the environmental public health side of things, so I can't speak to much to that side of their programs.
Work experience is highly valued in this application process, so that should help you out immensely. Just make sure to highlight why you want to pursue public health and what sparked the passion in your personal statement.

I have NO idea what to expect with regard to where to apply or where I might feasibly gain acceptance, as I am coming from quite a different background with very little public health experience! :( Guidance would be SO appreciated, feeling a bit lost!

Interested in: Columbia, UMich, George Washington, Tulane, Berkeley. Maybe JHU and/or Harvard? Other suggestions welcome!!
Applied:
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Echoing copecb's comment: I believe all of what you listed is basically environmental public health and you have AMAZING stats!!
You can definitely apply to those schools (they want people with work experience and you have it).

copecb2013 and confusedasusual,
Thank you both very much for the feedback! Since I don't know of anyone in my sphere that has an MPH (or probably even knows what that stands for!) I really appreciate the advice. :)

When is the best time to apply? I know applying earlier is generally better, but what constitutes applying "early"?

When is the best time to apply? I know applying earlier is generally better, but what constitutes applying "early"?

People from previous threads can correct me but I'd think anywhere in September and October (seen some people on the 2017 thread submit to SOPHAS around then).

Undergrad School: University of California
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.53 (non-SOPHAS gpa)
Major/Minor: Biology Major, Applied Statistics Minor
GRE (including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable): Taking 9/25

* Research Assistant in Entomology department for 3+ years, in the process of publishing a paper
* Supplemental instructor and mentor at my schools academic resource center
* Community service chair and physician recruiter for local Global Brigades chapter on campus, we'd set up medical clinics and build public health/sanitation projects in rural and undeserved areas of Honduras and Nicaragua every year along with doing service projects in the local community.
* Volunteer at local Kaiser Permanente medical center, got to rotate through numerous departments
* Records coordinator for Kaiser volunteer program, helped maintain and update TB, immunization records, etc.
* VP for health fitness org on campus that encouraged students to lead healthier lives through weekly exercise.
* Community outreach member for free clinic in a near by severely impoverished and undeserved city
* Volunteer in another local free clinic, committee was responsible for connecting patients with low cost and sometimes free medication programs through companies like Teva

Special factors:

* LORs form my entomology research PI, from a biology professor I supplemental instructed with multiple times, and from a statistics professor i took numerous courses with
* second generation arab american, first in immediate family to finish a bachelors degree

***Please include the following whenever possible: specific concentration/track, dates, type of correspondence (phone, email, letter, etc.), scholarships/grants.***

Interested in: UCLA, UC Berkeley, UCI, Emory, UNC, GWU, LSHTM, Michigan (All epidemiology concentrations , I'm extremely interested in field/shoe-leather epidemiology/outbreak investigation, similar to what EIS officers do for the CDC. I really wanna feel like I'm serving the community and public with my work.)
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Looking at everyones stats and experiences kinda worries me. I didn't really know I wanted to do public health till my senior year, so all my experiences are very general health related things. My school doesn't offer any public health or epidemiology type classes so all my course work is pure biology and statistics. Are there any schools yall think I should add to my apply list? Or any that might be unattainable given my stats? Some help would be greatly appreciated, I'm a bit overwhelmed by all the factors that go into the whole process. Also would waiting until November to submit my applications significantly hurt me?

Last edited:
Looking at everyones stats and experiences kinda worries me. I didn't really know I wanted to do public health till my senior year, so all my experiences are very general health related things. My school doesn't offer any public health or epidemiology type classes so all my course work is pure biology and statistics. Are there any schools yall think I should add to my apply list? Or any that might be unattainable given my stats? Some help would be greatly appreciated, I'm a bit overwhelmed by all the factors that go into the whole process. Also would waiting until November to submit my applications significantly hurt me?

I personally think you have a good amount of public/general health oriented experience. I know for Berkeley's Epi/Biostats program, you'd be perfect. They're looking for people who "completed undergraduate course work in the biological, social, or math sciences" and "common work experience for admitted applicants: volunteer work in public health, research assistant, lab technician." You have a good shot at any of these schools.

As for applying, I've seen people from previous threads submit in November and they get in just fine. I feel is always good to apply early though, since SOPHAS processes to schools on a first come first serve basis. So, getting ahead before the rush of submissions is beneficial. Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but schools start reviewing once your application is considered complete to them?

Good luck on your GRE! :)

As ConfusedAsUsual said, your experience is definitely relevant to the public health work that you want to do. With your experiences and stats, you should have a good chance at all of the schools on your list (pending your GRE score for some of the top schools on the list). I would recommend checking out Yale's epi program!

Also, applying earlier does get the review process started sooner for some schools, as they have rolling admissions. You'd have to check with individual programs though. But otherwise, most priority deadlines are early December/January, so as long as you've submitted and been verified by then, you'll be fine.

Hey ya'll,

Because SOPHAS opens up in 2 days (August 17th), I think it's about time we start freaking out together, while still helping each other out and sticking through this process. :)

Also, here's a pretty awesome comprehensive application thread written by wwmmkk, to get started: Advice for Applying to MPH Programs

This is the format used from previous years. Make sure to go back and update your post! That would help.

Undergrad School: IMG MBBS
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.9 Sophas wes icap calculated
Major/Minor: Medicine
GradGPA
(if applicable):3.73 as per WES
GRE (including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable):GMAT scored 580 with little prep ets calculator converts my scores to GRE V 151 Q 159 (pathetic but didnt have time to study as i work full time)
Experience/Research (please, be brief): 8 years clinical practice experience in rural and urban settingsin Pakistan, 3 years data analysis experience in a pathology research lab South Africa,
Volunteering for a local Township NGO as a medical consultant 2 hours weekly as a medical consultant (sponsor of free medicines )
Volunteering part time experience in a trust formed by fellow medical graduates (5 years)
Special factors:
Data Analysis experience with reasonable command over STATA, SPSS, Public heal;th experience in Pakistan & Africa can communicate in 5 languages (Hindi, punjabi, german, Africans and Urdu)

Interested in: Global MPH with Epidemiology concentration
Applied
(include the date of application): Applying to JHU, YALE, COLUMBIA, WASH U, bu, uNIV OF ILLINOIS, dARTMOUTH AND NYU
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

I have very stron LOR CEO of the NPO i am volunteering with, My ex professor and head of department of my medical college and CEO of the lab i am currently working with. Please advise with my average GMAT scores what are my chances of getting into a top program like JHU, Yale, columbia etc what can be a good safe school option. I really dont have time to do the GMAT again with 2 kids and full time job...

Good luck, everyone! And here's to starting in 2018!

Undergrad School: Large State School
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.93/4.0
Major/Minor: Human Development and Family Science, Honors
GRE (including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable): Taken 4/21, 163V, 170Q, 5.5AW
* 3 years being a research assistant in a lab studying the transition to parenthood and maternal health
* Honors thesis with PI from above research lab
* Summer health fellowship in Peru, working with native communities to promote health
* Summer job working at a college prep/STEM camp for low-income kids
* 1 year wet lab research experience studying the microbiome of dogs
* 3 years volunteering at local hospitals in ED, women's health ward, and with Child Life dept
* Officer position in a college-wide leadership org
* Crisis Text Line volunteer
* 2 years working as undergrad tutor in chemistry, biology, biochem, ochem, and stats

Special factors:
LOR's:
from my PI of 3 years and thesis advisor (very strong), a professor of HDFS who focuses on low-income families and has taught me research and writing courses, and the director of my Peru health fellowship

I'm interested in Maternal & Child Health, Sexual and Reproductive Health, Global Health, and Community Health. I honestly don't know what my chances at these schools are, so if you could give me an idea that would be so helpful!

Interested in: Emory MPH (Behavioral Sciences & Health Ed.); NYU ; Berkeley MPH (Maternal & Child Health); WashU MPH (Generalist); Yale MPH (SBS); Brown MPH; Columbia MPH (SMS); Boston U (MCH), JHU (MSPH, Population, Family, & Reproductive Health)
Applied(include the date of application): Berkeley (11/30), WashU (12/8), Columbia (11/30), Emory (12/28), Boston (1/3)
Accepted: WashU (12/28, $35k merit scholarship)
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Last edited:
Interested in: UCLA, UC Berkeley, UCI, Emory, UNC, GWU, LSHTM, Michigan (All epidemiology concentrations , I'm extremely interested in field/shoe-leather epidemiology/outbreak investigation, similar to what EIS officers do for the CDC. I really wanna feel like I'm serving the community and public with my work.)
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

1. Does your interest in outbreak investigation/EIS mean that you are interested in Infectious Disease Epidemiology? That is my area, so I applied to programs with specific ID epidemiology courses:
Yale - MPH in the Epidemiology of Microbial Diseases (attending)
Boston University - MPH in Epi/Biostats with a certificate in Infectious Disease
Columbia - MPH in Epidemiology with a certificate in Infectious Disease Epidemiology
GWU - MPH in Epidemiology, offers variety of infectious disease based classes

There are other programs of course; I narrowed my list down a lot before applying.

2. Many programs are rolling admissions, so the earlier you apply, the better. You will likely hear back faster and have higher chances of being accepted when there are more open seats. With that being said, I did not submit my applications until late November through December, and it was absolutely fine. Don't let the timing stress you out; just meet the deadlines.

3. Your stats look good! I have learned that many public health schools take a very holistic approach to reading applications; one aspect of the application does not make or break you. Focus on a strong personal statement to tie your application together.

Undergrad School: International Medical Graduate MBBS
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.73 as per sophas
Major/Minor:
GradGPA
(if applicable):
GMAT 630 ETS calculater converts to V 154 Q 166
Experience/Research (please, be brief): 8 years clinical practice experience in urban and rural setting in Pakistan including 3 years running my own private practice near a local township
3 years++ working as a Data Analyst at a pathology lab South Africa
Volunteering experience part time for last 2 year with a local NPO as a medical consultant, started it myself and arranged independant funding of medicines to the local township
Special factors:
LOR from my ex Department head at Medical University, CEO of the Pathology lab i am working for & Director of a local NGO i am volunteering for
Plenty of practical Pubic health experience
can speak 5 languages
comfortable working with STATA,SPSS etc

Please can someone evaluate my chances on getting into the programs mentioned below being an international medical graduate at an age of 38 I am worried some programs may want much younger crowd. want your honest feedback

Interested in: MPH Global health & Epidemiology
Applied
(include the date of application): Applying to JHU,Yale, Columbia, DRexel,george washington university & Washington university St. Louis

Accepted:JHU (10/21) GWU (11/02) Drexel 12/10 with deans scholarship, BU (20k merit award) Wash U. (Full tutuion award for 2 years)
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Last edited:
Wondering if anyone could look at my stats and give me a feel of whether I'm qualified to apply or if I should wait and work for a few years. Taking my GRE later in the fall.

Undergrad School: Top 5 liberal arts college
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.6/3.9
Major/Minor: Psychology (stats emphasis)
GRE (including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable): Taking in October/November
Experience/Research (please, be brief): 6 months neurodegenerative bioinformatics research; 6 months fellow in data science teaching innovation; TA for Psychology, Statistics, and CS; More than a year volunteering (non-paid work) at a public health non-profit associated with a top medical school, doing both health screenings as well as healthcare policy research; psychology research on anxiety that resulted in a conference poster; statistical genetics research in psychiatry
Special factors: I've taken most of the pre-med requirements thus have done well taking a rigorous science curriculum. Also have taken numerous economics, computer science, and higher level mathematics classes (multivariable calc and linear algebra)

Interested in: Epidemiology (especially neuroepidemiology, genetic epidemiology, and clinical trials)

Applied(include the date of application): Harvard (MS Epidemiology), Emory (MSPH Epidemiology), Johns Hopkins (MS General Epidemiology and Methodology), Columbia (debating b/w MPH and MS in Epidemiology), UCBerkeley (MPH Epidemiology and Biostatistics), UMichigan (MPH Epidemiology), UCLA (MPH Epidemiology)
Accepted: UMichigan MPH (12/15)
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Last edited:
Undergrad School: International Medical Graduate MBBS
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.73 as per sophas
Major/Minor:
GradGPA
(if applicable):
GMAT 630 ETS calculater converts to V 154 Q 166
Experience/Research (please, be brief): 8 years clinical practice experience in urban and rural setting in Pakistan including 3 years running my own private practice near a local township
3 years++ working as a Data Analyst at a pathology lab South Africa
Volunteering experience part time for last 2 year with a local NPO as a medical consultant, started it myself and arranged independant funding of medicines to the local township
Special factors:
LOR from my ex Department head at Medical University, CEO of the Pathology lab i am working for & Director of a local NGO i am volunteering for
Plenty of practical Pubic health experience
can speak 5 languages
comfortable working with STATA,SPSS etc

Please can someone evaluate my chances on getting into the programs mentioned below being an international medical graduate at an age of 38 I am worried some programs may want much younger crowd. want your honest feedback

Interested in: MPH Global health & Epidemiology
Applied
(include the date of application): Applying to JHU, Wash U, Yale, Columbia, NYU, george washington university & Univ of illinois
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Age is not a factor when it comes to MPH admissions.

Wondering if anyone could look at my stats and give me a feel of whether I'm qualified to apply or if I should wait and work for a few years. Taking my GRE later in the fall.

Major/Minor: Psychology
GRE (including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable): Taking in October/November
Experience/Research (please, be brief): 6 months neurodegenerative bioinformatics research; 6 months fellow in science teaching innovation; TA for Psych, Stats, and CS; More than a year volunteering (non-paid work) at a public health non-profit associated with a top medical school, doing both health screenings as well as healthcare policy research; psychology research on anxiety that resulted in a conference poster
Special factors: I've taken all the pre-med requirements thus have done well taking a rigorous science curriculum. Also have taken numerous economics, computer science, and higher level mathematics classes (multivariable calc and linear algebra)

Interested in: Epidemiology (especially neuroepidemiology, and clinical trials)

Applied(include the date of application): Harvard (MS Epidemiology), Emory (MSPH Epidemiology), Johns Hopkins (MS General Epidemiology and Methodology), Columbia (debating b/w MPH and MS in Epidemiology), UCBerkeley (MPH Epidemiology and Biostatistics), Michigan (MPH Epidemiology), UCLA (MPH Epidemiology)
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

As someone interested in possibly becoming involved in clinical trials and/or the pharmaceutical industry, am I better off with an MS or an MPH in Epidemiology?

ALSO still kind of deciding between statistics-heavy epidemiology and biostats. Pros and cons?

If your interest is in clinical trial work or pharmaceuticals, the MS biostats will be the best choice.

I personally think you have a good amount of public/general health oriented experience. I know for Berkeley's Epi/Biostats program, you'd be perfect. They're looking for people who "completed undergraduate course work in the biological, social, or math sciences" and "common work experience for admitted applicants: volunteer work in public health, research assistant, lab technician." You have a good shot at any of these schools.

As for applying, I've seen people from previous threads submit in November and they get in just fine. I feel is always good to apply early though, since SOPHAS processes to schools on a first come first serve basis. So, getting ahead before the rush of submissions is beneficial. Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but schools start reviewing once your application is considered complete to them?

Good luck on your GRE! :)
a

Thank you for the confidence boosting! Berkeleys program would be a dream come true haha. I believe you're right about the reviewing, gotta gave everything verified. And thank you for the well wishes on the GRE! Ill need it!

As ConfusedAsUsual said, your experience is definitely relevant to the public health work that you want to do. With your experiences and stats, you should have a good chance at all of the schools on your list (pending your GRE score for some of the top schools on the list). I would recommend checking out Yale's epi program!

Also, applying earlier does get the review process started sooner for some schools, as they have rolling admissions. You'd have to check with individual programs though. But otherwise, most priority deadlines are early December/January, so as long as you've submitted and been verified by then, you'll be fine.

Awesome yeah I've been really stressing about the deadlines! Guess I should just make sure my personal statement is tops and I'll be fine. Thanks for the reassurance! And I'll definitely look into yale! Looks interesting!

1. Does your interest in outbreak investigation/EIS mean that you are interested in Infectious Disease Epidemiology? That is my area, so I applied to programs with specific ID epidemiology courses:
Yale - MPH in the Epidemiology of Microbial Diseases (attending)
Boston University - MPH in Epi/Biostats with a certificate in Infectious Disease
Columbia - MPH in Epidemiology with a certificate in Infectious Disease Epidemiology
GWU - MPH in Epidemiology, offers variety of infectious disease based classes

There are other programs of course; I narrowed my list down a lot before applying.

2. Many programs are rolling admissions, so the earlier you apply, the better. You will likely hear back faster and have higher chances of being accepted when there are more open seats. With that being said, I did not submit my applications until late November through December, and it was absolutely fine. Don't let the timing stress you out; just meet the deadlines.

3. Your stats look good! I have learned that many public health schools take a very holistic approach to reading applications; one aspect of the application does not make or break you. Focus on a strong personal statement to tie your application together.

I would say so! I also have some interest in chronic diseases but it's kind of a 70 to 30% interest ratio (leaning towards infectious) between the two for me. I know EIS and their state and local counterparts also investigate higher incidents of chronic diseases so they both go hand in hand imo.

Even more reason to look into Yale! Are there any other programs you'd recommend? Something with a strong microbio/virology/ID bent would be great! A lot of epidemiology departments seem to be more research/theory focused so any departments that have a more applied epidemiology bend would also be great!

Major/Minor: Psychology
Experience/Research (please, be brief): 6 months neurodegenerative bioinformatics research; 6 months fellow in science teaching innovation; TA for Psych, Stats, and CS; More than a year volunteering (non-paid work) at a public health non-profit associated with a top medical school, doing both health screenings as well as healthcare policy research; psychology research on anxiety that resulted in a conference poster
Special factors: I've taken all the pre-med requirements thus have done well taking a rigorous science curriculum. Also have taken numerous economics, computer science, and higher level mathematics classes (multivariable calc and linear algebra)

Interested in: Epidemiology (especially neuroepidemiology, and clinical trials)

Applied(include the date of application): Harvard (MS Epidemiology), Emory (MSPH Epidemiology), Johns Hopkins (MS General Epidemiology and Methodology), Columbia (debating b/w MPH and MS in Epidemiology), UCBerkeley (MPH Epidemiology and Biostatistics), Michigan (MPH Epidemiology), UCLA (MPH Epidemiology)
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

As someone interested in possibly becoming involved in clinical trials and/or the pharmaceutical industry, am I better off with an MS or an MPH in Epidemiology?

ALSO still kind of deciding between statistics-heavy epidemiology and biostats. Pros and cons?

Sorry for the double post but I seem to be unable to edit my previous one (stupid Androids).

Based on your interests I'd recommend MS degrees over MPH. MS is an academic research based degree, while MPH is more of a professional applied type degree (think your local health department). MS tends to be more rigorous in regards to methodology and the research aspects of public health so since you want to get into trials I feel like you'll get more bang for your buck. With the MPH you'll spend more time learning about public health in a more holistic way meaning less time to develop your methodology skills. MS is also much more likely to teach you grant writing which will be very useful especially if you go for a PhD later.

As for Epi vs Biostats I've heard mixed things. There's a lot of overlap between the two, especially if it's an MS in Epi rather than an MPH (Again MS is more analytical). However overall it seems Biostats has the better employability, thought you must also realize there are simply less people with biostatistics degrees than epi so that might be confounding that perception a bit. Go with what you think will interest you more. Biostatistics will be much much much much heavier on the analytical aspect of data and trials while I'd imagine epi would have a bit more about trial design but again there's tons of overlap and it really depends on the individual programs you're looking at.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but schools start reviewing once your application is considered complete to them?

Most schools won't look at your application until after it is verified. SOPHAS verifies on a first-come-first-serve basis, so depending on when you submit it can take 1-40 days. Plan accordingly.

My thoughts on MS vs MPH (epi) and Epi vs Biostats:

MS epi vs MPH epi:
I only have experience with one school, but the way my alma mater did it, the MPH is 45 credits and the MS is 33 credits. The MPH requires 15 credits of core public health courses (including intro epi and biostats), 13 credits of departmental classes (even mix of epi and biostats), 4 credits of epi foundation classes, 5 credits of epi/biostats electives, and 4 credits of practicum and research. Only 9 credits are not related to epi/biostats (could be more depending on your elective choice). The MS program requires 11 epi courses, 6 pure stats courses and 3 thesis and consulting credits. Unlike the MPH program, which consists of intro biostats and intro SAS, the MS program requires you to take pure mathematical statistics, and you are expected to have a basic SAS background prior to beginning the program. So, I would argue that the epi knowledge is the same for the MS and the MPH, but the MS gives you more of a stats background. Of course, this is probably different for other schools, so check the programs online prior to applying. Typically both the MS and the MPH are good enough for PhD programs.

MPH epi vs MPH biostats:
Again, I only have experience with one school. My program required us to take the same departmental courses regardless of whether you concentrated in epi or biostats, so if you're looking for strong data analysis skills you'll get them in both concentrations. You'll get to take some theoretical stats courses, but they're fairly watered down and you don't get to take the mathematical statistics that MS epi/biostats people get to take, which is a real bummer. The elective options are a little better though since you can satisfy the prereqs for courses like survival analysis, longitudinal data analysis and design of medical studies, which you cannot do as an epi concentrator.

MS epi vs MS biostats:
This really depends on what you want to do. If your interested in fieldwork, observational studies or health department work, the epi route is best. If you're interested in mathematical models, clinical trial work or pharmaceutical industry positions, the MS biostats is best. MS biostats is good preparation for PhD in biostats, and is a good option for those who need to strengthen their academic record prior to applying.

MPH biostats vs MS biostats:
Basically, if you want to do biostats, go for the MS. At my school, the MPH biostats is really just an epi degree with a couple of watered down biostats classes. Yale is the only exception to this rule, as their MPH biostats is the same as their MS aside from the addition of a practicum and core courses.

Hopefully this helps a little.

a

I would say so! I also have some interest in chronic diseases but it's kind of a 70 to 30% interest ratio (leaning towards infectious) between the two for me. I know EIS and their state and local counterparts also investigate higher incidents of chronic diseases so they both go hand in hand imo.

Even more reason to look into Yale! Are there any other programs you'd recommend? Something with a strong microbio/virology/ID bent would be great! A lot of epidemiology departments seem to be more research/theory focused so any departments that have a more applied epidemiology bend would also be great!

If you have some years of work experience after undergrad, you could look at programs at Emory and Hopkins, which both have great infectious disease concentrations. I applied to MPH programs straight from undergrad, so I did not have the required work experience to apply to these programs.

The following programs are more lab/biology based, but they are unique MPH opportunities if you are interested in that:
UMich:Hospital and Molecular Epidemiology MPH
UC Berkeley: Infectious Diseases and Vaccinology MPH
UPitt: MPH in Infectious Diseases and Microbiology (IDM)
Yale has opportunities to work with professors in wet labs without a laboratory based curriculum. The opportunities are there but not a requirement!
You could also enter the Epidemiology MPH and take ID related elective courses
There are probably others as well, but these are some I looked into in the past.

If you are looking to feel your way through chronic and ID epidemiology in a more applied sense, I would look at schools like BU and Columbia where you can select certificates to complement your main epi department and have a variety of elective choices, or schools like GWU, UPitt, UMich, and many/most others where you would be in an Epi department and select a variety of electives from the whole department rather than reside in a very specific program. Just look at elective lists before you make any decisions to make sure they offer a good range of ID and chronic classes that you are interested in! Most programs list electives and curriculums on their websites, but if you have trouble finding them (they may not always be posted or up to date), you could contact admissions or the department directly and they can likely send you a list.

Last edited:
Undergrad School: Syracuse University
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.38/ I'm not sure but probably higher
Major/Minor: Public Health
GradGPA
GRE (including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable): Taking on October 2nd
  • Interned at girls empowerment organization in part of Nigeria where human trafficking is very high. Taught middle school aged students about human trafficking, sexual health, gender equality, and self esteem ~ 1 month
  • Volunteered at one week long clinic in my native village in Nigeria assisting health providers in conducting breast cancer and cervical cancer screenings. Held a drive at my university through the African Student Union to collect feminine products and clothing for patients ~ 1 week
  • Interned at family planning service in Syracuse - taught students about reproductive and sexual health ~ 2 months
  • Interned at Massachusetts State House with the Chair of the Committee on Health Care Financing - 3 months
  • Currently working in Nigeria at public health NGO on a project that provides family planning services and post abortion care to women in 26 states and over 300 hospitals across the country ~ 9 months so far

Interested in: Emory (Global Epi), Harvard (Global Health), Columbia (Epidemiology), Hopkins (International Health), GWU (Global Health), and London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine (MSc Epidemiology)

Applied
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Okay, what do you all think? I know like basically all of my schools are reaches but these are where I want to go :( I guess it really depends on my GRE score. Also any tips for finding time to study for GRE? My work schedule is so crazy.

Undergrad School: Syracuse University
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.38/ I'm not sure but probably higher
Major/Minor: Public Health
GradGPA
GRE (including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable): Taking on October 2nd
  • Interned at girls empowerment organization in part of Nigeria where human trafficking is very high. Taught middle school aged students about human trafficking, sexual health, gender equality, and self esteem ~ 1 month
  • Volunteered at one week long clinic in my native village in Nigeria assisting health providers in conducting breast cancer and cervical cancer screenings. Held a drive at my university through the African Student Union to collect feminine products and clothing for patients ~ 1 week
  • Interned at family planning service in Syracuse - taught students about reproductive and sexual health ~ 2 months
  • Interned at Massachusetts State House with the Chair of the Committee on Health Care Financing - 3 months
  • Currently working in Nigeria at public health NGO on a project that provides family planning services and post abortion care to women in 26 states and over 300 hospitals across the country ~ 9 months so far

Interested in: Emory (Global Epi), Harvard (Global Health), Columbia (Epidemiology), Hopkins (International Health), GWU (Global Health), and London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine (MSc Epidemiology)

Applied
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Okay, what do you all think? I know like basically all of my schools are reaches but these are where I want to go :( I guess it really depends on my GRE score. Also any tips for finding time to study for GRE? My work schedule is so crazy.

We're in similar situations. I plan to take my GRE in mid-October. I'm trying to focus on just my weaknesses (quantitative reasoning). Look for free online prep on Kaplan and Barron and spend your free time studying them. Take as many timed practice exams as you can. It seems like you have amazing public health and global health experience so focusing on getting a high GRE score will increase your chances of getting into those prestigious schools. However, I would suggest also considering some safety schools like NYU, Tulane, and Boston U. Good luck!

Undergrad School: Arizona State University
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.3/3.5
Major/Minor: Marketing
GRE (including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable): 9/9 - V 165 (96%) Q 159 (73%) unofficial
  • Senior thesis project with Planned Parenthood on topic of increasing STI testing
  • 1.5 years at pediatric practice creating content, educating other pediatric, ob-gyn, midwife providers on frenectomies
  • Currently consulting with a birth center to create educational content for patients and community
  • 1.5 years (and counting) with national school lunch program coordinating nutrition education and community partnerships
  • Texas Health and Human Services local child nutrition committee member
  • 1 year coaching for Girls on the Run in Title 1 elementary schools

Applied: UCLA (community health services), Harvard (health and social behavior), UC Berkeley (maternal and child health), UNC (maternal and child health), Columbia (population and family), University of Texas, Icahn School of Medicine

Accepted: UCLA (2/8), UC Berkeley (1/21), UNC + tuition and stipend (1/22), UT (1/18), Icahn (12/29), Columbia (1/22)
Rejected: Harvard (3/6)
Waitlisted:

So I just took the GRE on Saturday. I'm obviously very pleased with my verbal score, but disappointed in the quant. In all my practice exams I fared much better on quant than verbal, though if I retook I imagine the increase in my quant score would be less than my decrease in my verbal. Seriously debating retaking and, in addition to the extra time, stress, and money, likely getting a more average verbal and a slightly less average quant. My top school rn is Columbia, and I really need a merit scholarship, in which case I would likely need to retake to achieve 80% across the board if it's that stringent of a requirement. Any thoughts?

Last edited:

I grew up in DFW and while I don't have any experience with the MPH program specifically, I've had a number of friends attend UNTHSC for D.Pharm and DPT and every single one of them was really impressed with the program.

So I just took the GRE on Saturday. I'm obviously very pleased with my verbal score, but disappointed in the quant. In all my practice exams I fared much better on quant than verbal, though if I retook I imagine the increase in my quant score would be less than my decrease in my verbal. Seriously debating retaking and, in addition to the extra time, stress, and money, likely getting a more average verbal and a slightly less average quant. My top school rn is Columbia, and I really need a merit scholarship, in which case I would likely need to retake to achieve 80% across the board if it's that stringent of a requirement. Any thoughts?

I'll let others weigh in on the Columbia issue (I didn't apply but do remember reading here that the 80% is pretty strict), but that quant score is definitely good enough for admissions to those schools. The tracks you are interested in aren't quant-heavy, and you have very relevant public health experience. I would focus more on working on a good personal statement, rec letters, etc. than stressing out about the GRE.

What are my chances of getting in? Should I apply to any safety school and which ones?

Last edited:
So I'm thinking about moving my GRE by a week and taking it Oct. 22nd. Is this too late...?

Undergrad School: Ivy League
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.62
Major/Minor: Psychology major, Nutrition minor
GRE: (taken 8/23/17) - 168 V (98th), 158 Q (69th), 5 AWA (93rd)
  • 5+ years working for a large sponsor of federally-funded child nutrition programs (National School Lunch/Breakfast Programs, summer meals program, etc.)
  • 5 months participation in a councilwoman-convened working group to plan for children's access to meals during emergency school closures
  • 1 year research assistant in an anxiety & depression laboratory

Interested in: Public health nutrition, healthy food access, food systems/policy, social science/health behavior, community health

Applied: Johns Hopkins
(Full-time MPH - 10/31), Harvard (MPH Health & Social Behavior - 10/31), UC Berkeley (MPH Public Health Nutrition - 10/31), Tulane (MPH Nutrition - 10/31), Drexel (MPH Epi - 10/31), Columbia (MPH Epi - 10/31), Tufts (dual - MS Food Policy & Applied Nutrition/MPH - 11/3)

Accepted:
Tulane (11/1), Drexel +$ (11/30), Tufts +$ (12/20), UC Berkeley +$ (1/22), Columbia (1/22), Johns Hopkins (1/23)
Rejected: Harvard (2/22)
Waitlisted: N/A
Attending: Johns Hopkins!

Last edited: