MPH Fall 2018: Applied, Accepted, Waitlisted, Rejected!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
deleted

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Undergrad School: Mid-sized private research university
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 4.0/4.0
Major/Minor: Neuroscience
GradGPA (if applicable): N/A
Grad Studies (if applicable): N/A
GRE (including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable): 163Q, 167V, 5.0AW
Experience/Research (please, be brief):
- 3 years with small community-focused nonprofit working to improve food systems among indigenous U.S. communities
- 2.5 years as research assistant with university-affiliated nonprofit: nutrition/water survey design, administration, analysis with indigenous community in sub-Saharan African country
- Program Evaluator for public health nutrition education program for students in southern U.S.
- Development Intern with Africa Bureau at large U.S. federal agency
- Volunteer Coach/Mentor for yearlong project-based leadership project focused on local food systems

Special factors:

***Please include the following whenever possible: specific concentration/track, dates, type of correspondence (phone, email, letter, etc.), scholarships/grants.***

Interested in: UC Berkeley (MPH Epi/Biostats), Johns Hopkins (MHS Epi + Food Systems Cert), UCLA (MS Epi + Food Systems Cert), University of Michigan (MPH Epi), Emory (MSPH Epi), University of Washington (MPH Epi), Harvard (SM80 Epi), Tulane (MS Epi), Columbia (MPH Epi)
Applied(include the date of application): Applied for all of the above on 11/3, Verified sometime around 11/10
Accepted: Michigan 11/17, Tulane 12/5
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm interested in using quantitative/qualitative methods in research related to food systems, agroecology, and community health! I tried to apply for MS programs where it made sense, but some schools seem to reserve MS degrees for those anticipating immediate doctoral studies (about which I'm on the fence). Do any of you have further insights? Am I wrong in thinking this? Should I apply for an MPH instead at schools like UCLA?

I'm super happy to see pa611 and others also interested in food and nutrition-related public health! Would love to chat more with you all. Are there any programs that I may have missed with a focus in these areas, especially broader food systems and community health? Definitely open to suggestions! I know the schools above are long shots, but I would be elated if I could study at any of them!

Thank you!!! So inspiring to learn about everyone's interests and accomplishments.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I'd rate your chances at a scholarship as high at half of the schools at least, as well as you getting into most or all of those schools given that I'd rate your gpa, experience and GRE scores as very good to excellent!

Undergrad School: Ivy League
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.62
Major/Minor: Psychology major, Nutrition minor
GRE: (taken 8/23/17) - 168 V (98th percentile), 158 Q (69th percentile), 5 AWA (93rd percentile)
  • 5+ years working for a large sponsor of federally-funded child nutrition programs (National School Lunch/Breakfast Programs, summer meals program, etc.)
  • 5 months participation in a councilwoman-convened working group to plan for children's access to meals during emergency school closures
  • 1 year research assistant in an anxiety & depression laboratory

Interested in: Public health nutrition, healthy food access, food systems/policy, social science/health behavior, community health

Applying to: Johns Hopkins MPH
(Concentration in Food Systems & Public Health), Harvard MPH (Health & Social Behavior), UC Berkeley MPH (Public Health Nutrition), Tufts MS/MPH (dual - MS Food Policy & Applied Nutrition/MPH), Tulane MPH (Nutrition), Drexel MPH (Community Health & Prevention)

Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

There are a few MPHs with public health nutrition concentrations that I've ruled out because I don't have the pre-reqs (organic chemistry, etc.), but I also feel like a nutrition concentration isn't mandatory to accomplish my goals. Feel free to let me know what my chances are or if you know of any other programs I should check out; this is just a tentative list so far. Also very curious what my odds are at scholarships, since finances are going to factor heavily into my decision. Thank you!
I

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I think you'll get into most, or all, of these schools given your super high gpa, relevant experience and excellent GRE scores. I think that JHU, Emory and Tulane are good global health wise, I think JHU is the better School of those and if their degree is a ScM it would help with later graduate studies, as would the JHU name. Probably if you're good at math, it would makes sense to build upon those skills at a school like JHU, IMO.

Undergrad School: Mid-sized private research university
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 4.0/4.0
Major/Minor: Neuroscience
GRE (including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable): 163Q, 167V, 5.0AW
- 3 years with small community-focused nonprofit working to improve food systems among indigenous U.S. communities
- 2.5 years as research assistant with university-affiliated nonprofit: nutrition/water survey design, administration, analysis with indigenous community in sub-Saharan African country
- Program Evaluator for public health nutrition education program for students in southern U.S.
- Development Intern with Africa Bureau at large U.S. federal agency
- Volunteer Coach/Mentor for yearlong project-based leadership project focused on local food systems

Special factors:

***Please include the following whenever possible: specific concentration/track, dates, type of correspondence (phone, email, letter, etc.), scholarships/grants.***

Interested in: UC Berkeley (MPH Epi/Biostats), Johns Hopkins (ScM Epi + Food Systems Cert), UCLA (MS Epi + Food Systems Cert), University of Michigan (MPH Epi), Emory (MSPH Epi), University of Washington (MPH Epi), Harvard (SM80 Epi), Tulane (MS Epi), Tulane (MS Epi), Columbia (MPH Epi)
Applied(include the date of application):
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm interested in using quantitative/qualitative methods in research related to food systems, agroecology, and community health! I tried to apply for MS programs where it made sense, but some schools seem to reserve MS degrees for those anticipating immediate doctoral studies (about which I'm on the fence). Do any of you have further insights? Am I wrong in thinking this? Should I apply for an MPH instead at schools like UCLA?

I'm super happy to see pa611 and others also interested in food and nutrition-related public health! Would love to chat more with you all. Are there any programs that I may have missed with a focus in these areas, especially broader food systems and community health? Definitely open to suggestions! I know the schools above are long shots, but I would be elated if I could study at any of them!

Thank you!!! So inspiring to learn about everyone's interests and accomplishments.

Undergrad School: Arizona State University
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.3/3.5
Major/Minor: Marketing
GRE (including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable): 9/9 - V 165 (96%) Q 159 (73%) unofficial
  • Senior thesis project with Planned Parenthood on topic of increasing STI testing
  • 1.5 years at pediatric practice creating content, educating other pediatric, ob-gyn, midwife providers on frenectomies
  • Currently consulting with a birth center to create educational content for patients and community
  • 1.5 years (and counting) with national school lunch program coordinating nutrition education and community partnerships
  • Texas Health and Human Services local child nutrition committee member
  • 1 year coaching for Girls on the Run in Title 1 elementary schools

Interested in: UCLA (community health services), Harvard (health and social behavior), UC Berkeley (maternal and child health), UNC (maternal and child health), JHU (population, family, and reproductive health), Columbia (population and family)

Applied
(include the date of application):
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

So I just took the GRE on Saturday. I'm obviously very pleased with my verbal score, but disappointed in the quant. In all my practice exams I fared much better on quant than verbal, though if I retook I imagine the increase in my quant score would be less than my decrease in my verbal. Seriously debating retaking and, in addition to the extra time, stress, and money, likely getting a more average verbal and a slightly less average quant. My top school rn is Columbia, and I really need a merit scholarship, in which case I would likely need to retake to achieve 80% across the board if it's that stringent of a requirement. Any thoughts?

I am currently a first year at Columbia. From what I recall, merit scholarships are also based heavily on GPA. I did not receive one so I am not entirely sure about the criteria, but I vaguely remember that a high GPA was a major deciding factor. Columbia is pretty strict regarding meeting the requirements though for a merit scholarship. I had a very similar GRE score as yours, so honestly, I would not sweat it. Focus on your personal statement, which plays a huge role in this application process honestly. I also recommend applying to outside scholarships just in case if you end up not receiving a merit scholarship. I am currently taking out loans, and though receiving the highest amount possible, it does not sufficiently cover the entire cost of tuition at Columbia.

Does anyone have any experiences or thoughts on UT Austin MPH program as well as UNTHSC in Forth Worth, Texas?

We're in similar situations. I plan to take my GRE in mid-October. I'm trying to focus on just my weaknesses (quantitative reasoning). Look for free online prep on Kaplan and Barron and spend your free time studying them. Take as many timed practice exams as you can. It seems like you have amazing public health and global health experience so focusing on getting a high GRE score will increase your chances of getting into those prestigious schools. However, I would suggest also considering some safety schools like NYU, Tulane, and Boston U. Good luck!
Thank you so much for your response and GRE tips! I wish you good luck with everything!

Thank you so much for your response and GRE tips! I wish you good luck with everything!

I am not applying for MPH programs this year but I took my GRE recently and did well! What really helped me the most was the free practice tests that come on the ETS site. Make sure you take the timed one as it gives you your score!

Also, for studying vocab, I found that it's better to study the 100 most common words (found via google) rather than studying all of the words in a practice book.

Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
hii everyone i m an international student with
gre-324
toefl-106
gpa-aggregate 63% arnd 2.9 out of 4 i guess
12-73%
10-90%
bds dental graduate
applying fr mph
could anyone suggest me some moderate and safe university?

Undergrad School: SUNY Binghamton
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.5/3.7
Major/Minor: Art History/French
GRE: V: 165 Q:153
Experience/Research:

- 4 years in administration at an Arts College in NYC
- Assorted Gallery internships
- Just started volunteering with a global health non-profit!
- Read soooo many books on public health/global health/Obamacare, etc.

- Recs from university professor, current boss and provost of the college I work for.

- Took Intro to Microeconomics and Intro to Stats online to brush up on math since I did not take any in undergrad. EDIT: Also taking a Career Development course in Project Management this semester!

Interested in:
Applying to:
Columbia (MPH Health Policy and Management), NYU (MPH Public Health Policy and Management), U Michigan (MPH Health Management and Policy) and Johns Hopkins (MHA)
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

I posted my stats before in the all-encompassing thread but seems there might be more eyes here. I have been doing my best to communicate with admissions from each of these schools. Is there anything else anyone would recommend beyond crushing the GREs and writing a great statement? Do you view any of these as "reaches" for me? I know it's hard to tell without the GRE, but my since-expired scores were V161/Q151. I expect to do better on quant this time around.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Hi all, I am thinking of applying for Fall 2018 and I am finishing my undergrad in December.
What are my chances of being accepted based on the following?

Undergrad School: George Mason University (BSc in Community Health)
Undergrad GPA: 3.69 (cumulative) (projected final GPA 3.74) (3.84 major GPA)
GRE: 139 V; 141 Q; 3.0 Writing (i know its terrible :/)
Experience/Research
Currently doing volunteer on a research with my professor looking at alcohol and bar policy relation to drinking among college students

Schools interested in: GW, BU, Columbia, GMU, Pittsburgh (let me know if you guys have other recommendation based on my profile)
Programs: Epi or Global health

Hi all, I am thinking of applying for Fall 2018 and I am finishing my undergrad in December.

Experience/Research
Currently doing volunteer on a research with my professor looking at alcohol and bar policy relation to drinking among college students

Schools interested in: GW, BU, Columbia, GMU, Pittsburgh (let me know if you guys have other recommendation based on my profile)

Hi! You should look into NYU and Tulane. I don't know what your interests are but those schools have pretty good programs and have high acceptance rates. UMichigan is also and excellent school as well as UMaryland.

School: Top 10 Public University
GPA: 3.19
GRE: V: 161 Q: 157 W:4.5
Major: Biology (General)

- 1.5 years as a research assistant in the Biology Department
> Co-author on a paper published in an integrative biology journal
- 1 year as a program assistant at a university center focused on sustainability and public health
- 2 years as a student government employee
> one year directing a leadership development program and one year directing our volunteering office
- 1.5 years as a teaching assistant
- 1 year as a campus tour guide
- 2 summers (6 months total) of a shadowing program at a private medical practice

**currently in a gap year working as a patient care rep in a hospital and volunteering at a hospice center**

Applying for Fall 2018: USC, UCLA, University of Hawaii, UCI, SDSU, BU, NYU, UC Berkeley [Based on these stats, is it even worth it to try to apply to Ivy's?]

What do y'all think?
Give Columbia a shot. Your GPA is around their average and you have a lot of public health experience. Your GRE scores are pretty good as well. However, you may not qualify for their merit scholarships as their standards are pretty high (high GPA and GRE scores above 80th percentile).

Members don't see this ad :)

Experience/Research

You have a good GPA. Hopefully, you can think of some more relevant experience to add to your application. Also, I would consider retaking the GRE. GRE score percentiles need to be at least at the 50th percentile. Those scores are below the 15th percentile. I'm thinking of purchasing a Magoosh study tool. I've read a lot of positive testimonials. Good luck!

Hello all!
Good luck on your applications!

Undergrad School: big 10
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.32
Major/Minor: Environmental Health Science
GradGPA
(if applicable): N/A
GRE (including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable): V 157, Q 170, 4.0
-1 year research project on indoor air pollution
-Public health service project in Peru
-3 years board member in a student organization
-Some summer internships irrelevant to public health
-currently on a gap year, working in a toxicology lab in china as a guest student
Special factors:
International student, completed my bachelor's degree in US
Interested in:
Global health / environmental health
Applied:
GWU, BU, NYU, Tulane, Columbia
Accepted:
All of the above!!
I was so thrilled when I received those offers since I had been worrying about my low GPA all years. Never be nervous or disappointed, there're always chances!;)

Last edited:
Hi! I just took my GRE yesterday and I was in a similar situation - had to juggle a full time job and other commitments, and I've been away from school for over a decade now. I managed a 170Q (99th percentile)/ 163V (85th percentile) on my first attempt. I'll be applying to Harvard, Columbia, UMich and Johns Hopkins for their MPH programs.

Anyway, do message me for more tips if you'd like, but here are some of the things I found very useful:

- I signed up for Magoosh's GRE prep course and watched as many videos as I could on Quant (my weakness). The videos were very systematic and were useful in helping me recall high school math. I'm a visual learner and the clear explanations and diagrams were very useful.

- the Manhattan prep books are REALLY useful for Quant. I worked through the chapters in books 1 through 6 on the various Quant topics and attempted the problem sets at the end of each chapter. I've heard the Manhattan prep books aren't as useful for Verbal, though. Also get your hands on the Manhattan prep 5-lb book of practice questions if possible as it has loads of questions on each topic.

- unlike most people, I was more worried for Quant as opposed to verbal, but I still put in effort for verbal prep. I did many questions on Magoosh, and familiarised myself with having to read and digest large chunks of admittedly boring text (which is a good skill for the RC portions of the test). I also used the vocabulary guide from Magoosh (which you can download for free from their website), as well as their Flashcards app.

- in terms of time management, I tried to get in at least 1 hour of solid studying a day since late July. I would watch Quant videos, and attempt at least 15-20 questions a day from both verbal and Quant. I took leave from work for the two weeks leading up to the test to focus my efforts on GRE prep. While I'm not sure if you might be able to do the same, I still think you can get a lot done with regard to studying if you pace yourself - the most important thing here is consistency over time as it'll allow you to absorb the info better.

- You have about ten days till the test - I would use the time to review topics you aren't confident in, and keep practicing questions (that's really the best way to pick up on the common tips and tricks in the actual test).

All the best!

Undergrad School: Syracuse University
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.38/ I'm not sure but probably higher
Major/Minor: Public Health
GradGPA
GRE (including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable): Taking on October 2nd
  • Interned at girls empowerment organization in part of Nigeria where human trafficking is very high. Taught middle school aged students about human trafficking, sexual health, gender equality, and self esteem ~ 1 month
  • Volunteered at one week long clinic in my native village in Nigeria assisting health providers in conducting breast cancer and cervical cancer screenings. Held a drive at my university through the African Student Union to collect feminine products and clothing for patients ~ 1 week
  • Interned at family planning service in Syracuse - taught students about reproductive and sexual health ~ 2 months
  • Interned at Massachusetts State House with the Chair of the Committee on Health Care Financing - 3 months
  • Currently working in Nigeria at public health NGO on a project that provides family planning services and post abortion care to women in 26 states and over 300 hospitals across the country ~ 9 months so far

Interested in: Emory (Global Epi), Harvard (Global Health), Columbia (Epidemiology), Hopkins (International Health), GWU (Global Health), and London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine (MSc Epidemiology)

Applied
(include the date of application):
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Okay, what do you all think? I know like basically all of my schools are reaches but these are where I want to go :( I guess it really depends on my GRE score. Also any tips for finding time to study for GRE? My work schedule is so crazy.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
I don't think any of these schools are a reach for you, especially NYU and BU. If I was you I'd apply for some dream schools like Emory and Tulane, and others. I think you'd have a fair shot at a lot of schools.

Undergrad School: SUNY Binghamton
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.5/3.7
Major/Minor: Art History/French
GRE: Will take on November 1 (planning on having everything else done by then!)
Experience/Research:

- 4 years in administration at an Arts College in NYC
- Assorted Gallery internships
- Just started volunteering with a global health non-profit!
- Read soooo many books on public health/global health/Obamacare, etc.

- Recs from university professor, current boss and provost of the college I work for.

- Took Intro to Microeconomics and Intro to Stats online to brush up on math since I did not take any in undergrad. EDIT: Also taking a Career Development course in Project Management this semester!

Interested in:
Applying to:
Columbia (MPH Health Policy and Management), NYU (MPH Public Health Policy and Management), U Michigan (MPH Health Management and Policy) and Boston U (MPH)
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

I posted my stats before in the all-encompassing thread but seems there might be more eyes here. I have been doing my best to communicate with admissions from each of these schools. Is there anything else anyone would recommend beyond crushing the GREs and writing a great statement? Do you view any of these as "reaches" for me? I know it's hard to tell without the GRE, but my since-expired scores were V161/Q151. I expect to do better on quant this time around.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Feeling stuck choosing between MPH and DrPH/PhD programs related to community health, prevention science, and health education. My advisors/former bosses think my background and prior master's is enough to get into a doctoral program right now, but without a proper MPH or coursework in biostats I'm not feeling that's the case.

Undergrad School: Private liberal arts college
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.6
Major/Minor: Psychology
Grad School: Ivy
GradGPA (if applicable): 3.8
Grad Studies (if applicable): Master of Education in Prevention Science
GRE: 163V/157Q, waiting for AW
Experience/Research:
- Three years as peer health educator in undergrad
- Three years as research consultant writing socio-emotional health curriculum
- CDC PHAP program - program coordinator for a school-based STI screening program, program evaluation and intervention development for LTBI patients
- Presented twice at PHAP seminars, presented to TB PEN on LTBI work, had poster on same project accepted to TB Union conference but was unable to attend
- Fellowship with CDC focused on adolescent health policy

Special factors:
Some admissions counselors seem to like that I've taken a nontraditional route into public health

LORS: Current CDC manager, 2 program managers and chief medical officer from PHAP host site, master's thesis advisor if need be

Interested in: School-based healthcare, adolescent health, socio-emotional development, infectious disease, domestic health policy

Applying: GW (DrPH), JH, Emory, Maryland,

Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Last edited:
You have a good GPA. Hopefully, you can think of some more relevant experience to add to your application. Also, I would consider retaking the GRE. GRE score percentiles need to be at least at the 50th percentile. Those scores are below the 15th percentile. I'm thinking of purchasing a Magoosh study tool. I've read a lot of positive testimonials. Good luck!
Magoosh is really great and has helped me a ton! It's definitely worth the investment.

Magoosh is really great and has helped me a ton! It's definitely worth the investment.
Really? Great! I just purchased a plan today. Thank you for that reassurance. Good luck with your applications!

Really? Great! I just purchased a plan today. Thank you for that reassurance. Good luck with your applications!
Magoosh is really useful! The videos helped me a lot. The practice questions tend to be harder than ETS/Manhattan Prep though, so don't be demoralised if it gives you a projected score that is lower than what you'd like. Good luck!

My advisors/former bosses think my background and prior master's is enough to get into a doctoral program right now, but without a proper MPH or coursework in biostats I'm not feeling that's the case.
I'd suggest contacting admissions people at the schools you're interested in about this. I think everything else in your application is on track for DrPH especially. They may admit you on the condition you take biostat during your first semester/before you enroll, which would certainly save you a lot of $$ compared to getting a whole MPH.

Hi everyone, so I took my GRE today and I'm pretty disappointed with my scores. Got a 164 Verbal and 155 Quantitative.

Do y'all think this will be a big negative mark on my applications considering the schools I want to apply to and my GPA and experiences? Will my minor in stats make a difference? Is it worth retaking? I'm just really afraid I'll be adding more stress, time, and money into studying and retaking it just to end up with basically the same score.

I absolutely hate this test and I fail to see how it proves anything in terms of how good of an epidemiologist I would be (when would I ever have to find the angle of a trapezoid or the amount of time John Doe spent driving from Tanzania to Egypt ).

Undergrad School: University of California
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.53 (non-SOPHAS gpa)
Major/Minor: Biology Major, Applied Statistics Minor
GRE (including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable): Taking 9/25

* Research Assistant in Entomology department for 3+ years, in the process of publishing a paper
* Supplemental instructor and mentor at my schools academic resource center
* Community service chair and physician recruiter for local Global Brigades chapter on campus, we'd set up medical clinics and build public health/sanitation projects in rural and undeserved areas of Honduras and Nicaragua every year along with doing service projects in the local community.
* Volunteer at local Kaiser Permanente medical center, got to rotate through numerous departments
* Records coordinator for Kaiser volunteer program, helped maintain and update TB, immunization records, etc.
* VP for health fitness org on campus that encouraged students to lead healthier lives through weekly exercise.
* Community outreach member for free clinic in a near by severely impoverished and undeserved city
* Volunteer in another local free clinic, committee was responsible for connecting patients with low cost and sometimes free medication programs through companies like Teva

Special factors:

* LORs form my entomology research PI, from a biology professor I supplemental instructed with multiple times, and from a statistics professor i took numerous courses with
* second generation arab american, first in immediate family to finish a bachelors degree

Interested in: UCLA, UC Berkeley, UCI, Emory, UNC, GWU, LSHTM, Michigan (All epidemiology concentrations , I'm extremely interested in field/shoe-leather epidemiology/outbreak investigation, similar to what EIS officers do for the CDC. I really wanna feel like I'm serving the community and public with my work.)
Applied(include the date of application):
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Looking at everyones stats and experiences kinda worries me. I didn't really know I wanted to do public health till my senior year, so all my experiences are very general health related things. My school doesn't offer any public health or epidemiology type classes so all my course work is pure biology and statistics. Are there any schools yall think I should add to my apply list? Or any that might be unattainable given my stats? Some help would be greatly appreciated, I'm a bit overwhelmed by all the factors that go into the whole process. Also would waiting until November to submit my applications significantly hurt me?

Hi all! I'm a foreign national, and very glad to meet everyone on this thread. Hoping to get some feedback on my chances at the programs listed below. While I don't have any direct public health experience as I've been in the military ever since I graduated, I have had a keen interest in healthcare for as long as I remember, specifically with regard to nutrition, lifestyle habits, and diseases caused by growing affluence (the latter is particularly relevant to my country of origin).

Would appreciate any insights on how I can better scope my applications to address these interests, and convince the schools that I'm worth taking on as a student (I know Harvard, in particular, stated a requirement for "public health experience" -- I emailed their admissions team and they told me there were many ways a military background could fulfil this criteria, but I'm still a little unsure of how to go about it).

All the best to everyone applying!

Undergrad School: University of Michigan, Ann Arbor (international student)
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.86 (SOPHAS-calculated)
Major/Minor: Political Science
GradGPA: 3.61
Grad Studies
: MA (Political Science) -- opted to do a CUGS (concurrent undergrad/grad study) program while at UM, which allowed me to complete both a BA and MA in Polsci in 4 years
GRE (including date taken): (Taken on 9/21/17) 170 V (99th percentile), 163 Q (84th percentile); 5.5 AWA (98th percentile)
- 8+ years of military service (commissioned officer in a foreign Armed Force) -- this has been my career since graduation (and even before)
- No explicit public health experience to date, due to the nature of my job, but I have been rotated through several different postings (can't go into too much detail here, unfortunately) ranging from command to staff-level appointments, all of which have required quite distinct skill sets
- Interested in the disparities of health behaviour between various races/ethnicities and the communication of health-related policies; the proliferation of lifestyle diseases in an urbanised society

Special factors:
- International student
- Awarded a graduate scholarship by country's Ministry of Health, to pursue a MPH in either the US or the UK; will return to serve a bond upon graduation

Interested in: Harvard MPH (Health and Social Behavior); Columbia MPH (Sociomedical Sciences); University of Michigan MPH (Health Behavior and Health Education); also considering Johns Hopkins' and UNC-Chapel Hill's programs

Applied (include the date of application): Harvard MPH (Health and Social Behavior) 11/26; Columbia MPH (Sociomedical Sciences) 11/26; UMich MPH (Health Behavior and Health Education) 12/3; UNC MPH (Health Behavior) 12/3; Emory MPH (Behavioral Sciences and Health Education) 12/3; Johns Hopkins MSPH (Health, Behavior and Society) 12/13

Accepted:
U-M (HBHE) 12/21
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Last edited:
Hi all! I'm a foreign national, and very glad to meet everyone on this thread. Hoping to get some feedback on my chances at the programs listed below. While I don't have any direct public health experience as I've been in the military ever since I graduated, I have had a keen interest in healthcare for as long as I remember, specifically with regard to nutrition, lifestyle habits, and diseases caused by growing affluence (the latter is particularly relevant to my country of origin).

Would appreciate any insights on how I can better scope my applications to address these interests, and convince the schools that I'm worth taking on as a student (I know Harvard, in particular, stated a requirement for "public health experience" -- I emailed their admissions team and they told me there were many ways a military background could fulfil this criteria, but I'm still a little unsure of how to go about it).

All the best to everyone applying!

Undergrad School: University of Michigan, Ann Arbor (international student)
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.91/4
Major/Minor:
Political Science
GradGPA (if applicable): 6.8/8
Grad Studies
(if applicable): MA (Political Science) -- opted to do a CUGS (concurrent undergrad/grad study) program while at UM, which allowed me to complete both a BA and MA in Polsci in 4 years
GRE (including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable): (Taken on 9/21/17) 170 V (99th percentile), 163 Q (85th percentile); still awaiting AWA scores
- 8+ years of military service (commissioned officer in a foreign Armed Force) -- this has been my career since graduation (and even before)
- No explicit public health experience to date, due to the nature of my job, but I have been rotated through several different postings (can't go into too much detail here, unfortunately) ranging from command to staff-level appointments, all of which have required quite distinct skill sets
- Interested in the disparities of health behaviour between various races/ethnicities and the communication of health-related policies; the proliferation of lifestyle diseases in an urbanised society

Special factors:
- International student
- Awarded a graduate scholarship by country's Ministry of Health, to pursue a MPH in either the US or the UK; will return to serve a bond upon graduation

Interested in: Harvard MPH (Health and Social Behavior); Columbia MPH (Sociomedical Sciences); University of Michigan MPH (Health Behavior and Health Education); also considering Johns Hopkins' and UNC-Chapel Hill's programs
Applied (include the date of application):
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Your GPA and GRE stats are amazing so no problem there! And military service can definitely be a huge plus (especially the long term officer experience you have). If you could give us a little more detail on what exactly you did it'd help us help you a lot! However, regardless of what you specifically did, military experience in general tends to teach great self discipline, leadership, and team work. I'd try emphasizing these aspects even tho none of it is directly related to public health, as these skills are highly sought after in many fields, including public health. I know some schools actually actively try to recruit veterans, tho this is usually American veterans,not sure if they'd look at foriegn vets differently.

Hi everyone! I'll come back and add my stats but I need some help on the application itself. What is the difference between experiences/additional experiences and the resume upload? Super confused. Am I just supposed to break down my resume into the experiences and use the same descriptions? Are they supposed to be distinct? What are ya'll doing?

I plan on contacting schools individually regarding this question but thought I should ask here anyways. Does it look bad to apply to multiple programs at schools? For example, Global Health and BSHE at Emory? Don't know if I am putting myself at a disadvantage.

Lastly, is anyone applying to any schools in London? Would love some input on the application process.

Any help would be appreciated. Trying to get this app in ASAP. Best of luck to you all!

Last edited:
Your GPA and GRE stats are amazing so no problem there! And military service can definitely be a huge plus (especially the long term officer experience you have). If you could give us a little more detail on what exactly you did it'd help us help you a lot! However, regardless of what you specifically did, military experience in general tends to teach great self discipline, leadership, and team work. I'd try emphasizing these aspects even tho none of it is directly related to public health, as these skills are highly sought after in many fields, including public health. I know some schools actually actively try to recruit veterans, tho this is usually American veterans,not sure if they'd look at foriegn vets differently.

Hi, thanks so much for the insightful response! I really appreciate your time.

Emphasising those areas (leadership, discipline etc) definitely makes a lot of sense. I've done rotations in the Defence Ministry here (more of a planning and staff function), as well as in ground units (commanding a platoon/company, being responsible for their training, development, morale and well-being).

I will continue to explore how I can best document and share those experiences in my SOP and personal statements, in relation to my career switch to public health after such a while in the military.

Thanks again! :)

Hi everyone, so I took my GRE today and I'm pretty disappointed with my scores. Got a 164 Verbal and 155 Quantitative.

Do y'all think this will be a big negative mark on my applications considering the schools I want to apply to and my GPA and experiences? Will my minor in stats make a difference? Is it worth retaking? I'm just really afraid I'll be adding more stress, time, and money into studying and retaking it just to end up with basically the same score.

I absolutely hate this test and I fail to see how it proves anything in terms of how good of an epidemiologist I would be (when would I ever have to find the angle of a trapezoid or the amount of time John Doe spent driving from Tanzania to Egypt ).

Hi! I believe you're in a good position to apply to those schools which you listed. You'd be a strong candidate with your background in projects and volunteer experience, which (to me) clearly demonstrates your passion and interest in public health.

I honestly wouldn't worry too much about the GRE scores - you did really well on Verbal, and decently on Quant. I would highlight the minor in Stats to show that you have a background and interest in a quantitative discipline (and your GPA backs that up, anyway, so I wouldn't be too concerned). My two cents is that you'd be best off focusing on the rest of your application for now and making it as strong as possible. After all, the MPH admissions committees typically perform a holistic evaluation of each candidate, which isn't purely based off grades or standardised testing.

I definitely think you have a good shot at all the schools you mentioned you're applying to.

Hi everyone! I'll come back and add my stats but I need some help on the application itself. What is the difference between experiences/additional experiences and the resume upload? Super confused. Am I just supposed to break down my resume into the experiences and use the same descriptions? Are they supposed to be distinct? What are ya'll doing?

I plan on contacting schools individually regarding this question but thought I should ask here anyways. Does it look bad to apply to multiple programs at schools? For example, Global Health and BSHE at Emory? Don't know if I am putting myself at a disadvantage.

Lastly, is anyone applying to any schools in London? Would love some input on the application process.

Any help would be appreciated. Trying to get this app in ASAP. Best of luck to you all!

Hey! I asked the first question on this thread but also called SOPHAS. It seems it's essentially the same thing--however, on the experiences section, you have 600 characters to explain what exactly you did, so I suppose it gives you room to delineate your experience. If anything, you can put the more public health-oriented experiences there and have your resume encompass everything.

Not sure about the second question, but I was originally looking to apply to LSHTM, which internationally, is one of the top prestigious and well-known schools for public health and is located in a great area if you want to do global work. The application opens November, though. So you have some time there.

Undergrad School: Small Liberals Arts
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.3/3.3
Major/Minor: Biology
Graduate School: Top 50 law school, 3.3 GPA (I don't know how I got three identical GPAs, I'm a unicorn?)
GRE: Nope. LSAT, 164. I have a JD so I am only applying to programs that will waive the GRE.
  1. Practicing attorney -- 3+ years, rural government; 2+ years, behavioral health organization
  2. 2 years, clinic assistant in urban community health center.
  3. 8 years on/off, volunteer EMS
  4. LS thesis on Indian Health Service (unpublished)
  5. Health law award in LS (highest grade)
  6. Internships: Fed agency in civil rights division, non-profit in women's/children's health
  7. Research: undergraduate capstone on a local environmental health issue, significant lab work

LOR: Boss, two professors from LS

Interested in: Rural things. EMS, MCH, telehealth, disasters. Native health (I'm not a Native person, however).

Applying to:
I'm an odd one! I am using tuition reciprocity, so my options are limited. Also, my family gets a say in where we go. Colorado, UN-Reno, NDSU, UND, Arizona, Idaho State, and, because its inexpensive, South Florida. I like all kinds of weather, in case you can't tell. A more prestigious program would be nice, but not very important -- and I want to pay in cash, so that's probably not realistic. Any other suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Last edited:
Updated stats 4/9/18

Hello wonderful people! I was wondering if I could solicit some advice from my fellow applicants...

First things first:
Undergrad School: UC Berkeley
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.33
Major/Minor: Molecular & Cell Bio (Neurobiology)
GRE
(9-08-2017): 161 V, 167 Q, 4.5 AWA. I was seriously debating on retaking it since I was averaging about a 163 V and 168Q on practice tests, but honestly i don't really think that's much of a difference so I decided forgo retaking it (I also absolutely hate doing the writing section- I commend anyone who can write a cohesive essay in 30 minutes- yall are amazing!). But if anyone thinks I should go for it, please let me know!
Current
- currently working at a reproductive health education program at a high ranking medical school and also a research assistant for an obgyn doctor/professor (it's a been a little over a year)
- volunteering at a women's clinic in the city doing outreach to homeless individuals in the community
Undergrad
- 2 years in molecular and cell lab
- 2 years as peer health educator
-1.5 years as a volunteer in a student organization that offered free services to the local homeless population

Applied: Columbia (MPH Sociomedical sciences), Johns Hopkins (MHS Social Factors in Health), Harvard (MPH Health and Social Behavior), U Mich (MPH Health Behavior), UW (MS for health services), Emory (MSPH Health Policy and Health Services), UCLA (MS Community Health Sciences), UC Berkeley (Maternal Child Health)
Accepted: All :D
Rejected:
Waitlisted:
Enrolled:
JHU

I would love it if anyone could give insight into whether I'm reaching too high (I probably am)!

Also, the main reason why I posted was to see if anyone is sort of in the same boat as me in terms of interests: I'd like to pursue an academic research career in public health (something along the lines of health behaviors and health education with an emphasis on sexual and reproductive health) and maybe pursue a PhD. I was researching the different university sites and a lot offered MS programs (that I didn't even know existed) that said it's more geared towards those interested in academic research (whereas MPH is for professional careers). And now I'm utterly confused on what I should do! That's why for a lot of the schools I'm in interested in, I list an MPH program and MS program as my options. What do you all think?

Thank you!

Last edited:
So I'm thinking about moving my GRE by a week and taking it Oct. 22nd. Is this too late...?
My friend applied to schools last year and she took hers early November and submitted everything before Thanksgiving and got in to all the schools that she applied to...I think you'll be fine!

Hello wonderful people! I was wondering if I could solicit some advice from my fellow applicants...

First things first:
Undergrad School: UC Berkeley
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.33 (that pre-med life killed me...I have 3 Cs on my transcript-stupid anatomy!)
Major/Minor: Molecular & Cell Bio (Neurobiology)
GRE
(9-08-2017): 161 V, 167 Q, 4.5 AWA. I was seriously debating on retaking it since I was averaging about a 163 V and 168Q on practice tests, but honestly i don't really think that's much of a difference so I decided forgo retaking it (I also absolutely hate doing the writing section- I commend anyone who can write a cohesive essay in 30 minutes- yall are amazing!). But if anyone thinks I should go for it, please let me know!
Current
- currently working at a reproductive health education program at a high ranking medical school and also a research assistant for an obgyn doctor/professor (it's a been a little over a year)
- volunteering at a women's clinic in the city doing outreach to homeless individuals in the community
Undergrad
- 2 years in molecular and cell lab
- 2 years as peer health educator
-1.5 years as a volunteer in a student organization that offered free services to the local homeless population

Special factors: i honestly don't feel like I'm very special lol. I think I'll have stellar recs from my previous professors and work supervisors, but other than that...
I think I'm pretty good at math? I took up to multivariable and am now taking linear algebra at my local community college (kind of for funsies) and i've taken intro stats course and did well. And considering I'm not thinking about biostats or epi really, I think this is good thing?

Interested in: So far...Columbia (MPH Sociomedical sciences or pop fam), Johns Hopkins (MSPH in pop fam or MHS Social Factors in Health), Harvard (MPH Health and Social behavior or MS global health & Pop), U Mich (MPH Health Behavior), UW (MS or MPH for health services), Emory (MPH Behavioral sciences or MSPH Health Policy and Health Services), BU (MS Health Services or MPH), UCLA (MS Community Health Sciences
Applied(include the date of application)
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

I would love it if any one could give insight to whether I'm reaching too high (I probably am)!

Also, the main reason why I posted was to see if anyone is sort of in the same boat as me in terms of interests: I'd like to pursue an academic research career in public health (something along the lines of health behaviors and health education with an emphasis on sexual and reproductive health) and maybe pursue a PhD. I was researching the different university sites and a lot offered MS programs (that I didn't even know existed) that said it's more geared towards those interested in academic research (whereas MPH is for professional careers). And now I'm utterly confused on what I should do! That's why for a lot of the schools I'm in interested in, I list an MPH program and MS program as my options. What do you all think?

Thank you!

Hey! You have relevant experiences and great research experiences and also, don't retake the GRE!! YOU HAVE A KILLER SCORE! If you don't mind me asking, what did you study and for how long?? I took my first practice test and scored like a 155Q/155V--pretty upset about it, but I still have some study time.

I believe MS is more research-oriented, while MPH is more of a professional degree, but someone correct me if I'm wrong. I'm in a similar boat, however, and am also applying to MS programs. Also, a lot of the competitive MS ones I looked into accept people right out of undergrad, while some competitive MPH programs look for some FTE. For a couple of the schools you listed, I'd look into the FTE requirement, too. For example, Harvard's MPH (and the global health and pop fam, actually) require FTE.

Other than that, I think you have an awesome shot at a good number of these schools.

My friend applied to schools last year and she took hers early November and submitted everything before Thanksgiving and got in to all the schools that she applied to...I think you'll be fine!

Did your friend have December 1st deadline when applying to MPH schools, by any chance? And I changed it to October 29th cause I'm sucking right now lmao!

Did your friend have December 1st deadline when applying to MPH schools, by any chance? And I changed it to October 29th cause I'm sucking right now lmao!
Yes she did!

Basically she applied to all the top 10 schools (and got into all of them!), and some of them have December 1st deadlines. She actually took her first GRE in the beginning of October, didn't do so well, and retook it in early November. A lot of schools that I'm looking at that have December 1st deadlines, but they say that that's the deadline to submit onto SOPHAS (not necessarily when they receive from SOPHAS). I think you should look at whether the school your applying wants all your materials from SOPHAS BY december 1st, or for you to submit onto SOPHAS by Dec 1. They usually outline that in the admissions process page of their website. You also have the option of telling ETS where to send your scores the day you take your test, so you could opt for that to reduce some time. But honestly I think if you take it before November and you have the rest of your app ready, you should be fine.

I studied for the GRE for like 6 weeks (?) using Magoosh study plan. Super helpful! Download their vocab flashcards (it's free) and if you can afford it, pay for their plan! They have like a 90 day plan and a 30 day plan and they outline what books you should get. Your basically paying for their practice questions (they have ton).

Don't worry too much about your diagnostic. My first diagnostic was like 158V and 159Q. Really really look at what kinds of questions you got wrong and practice them.

Also, some tips:
- if your taking a computer test, take at least 2 practice test using a computer based practice test. just so your not awkwardly navigating that for the first time on test day.
- DON'T TAKE A PRACTICE TEST THE DAY BEFORE AND CRAM. i did that and i think that actually harmed me.
- Make sure as you practice, you pinpoint your weaknesses and practice those more. I got into the habit of practicing everything (even the questions that I was good at) and thus not dedicating enough time working on the type of questions i sucked at (writing and vocab).

I decided very recently that I wanted to pursue an MPH and enrolled in a GRE prep course that runs from 10/2 - 11/26. Would it be too late if I take the GRE in Nov/Dec? One of the schools I am interested in does not have Spring enrollment. :(

Undergrad School: Towson University
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.16 Cumulative at Towson (Sophas may change due to transferring multiple schools, no idea actual GPA)
Major/Minor: American Studies / Health Science
GradGPA
GRE (including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable): N/A (Taking two month GRE Prep Program)
  • Senior Thesis: Intelligence Product and Policy Solution- The Human Trafficking Threat in the Northern Regions of Vietnam. (forty pages, significant research)
  • Developed Policy to Combat Antibiotic Resistance in the United States
  • Research and Presentation on the Gerson Therapy as Alternative Treatment for Chronic Disease
  • Over 60 credits of Health Science Study (Previously Health and Wellness Major at Buffalo State for 3 years)
  • Strength and Conditioning Intern at The University of Tulsa ~ 3 1/2 months
  • Strength and Conditioning Intern at Buffalo State College ~ 4 months
  • American College of Sports Medicine Certified Personal Trainer ~ 2 years experience

Special factors:
LOR from NYU Alumni, LOR from Political Science (Ph.D.) Professor in which I wrote both policies and have an excellent rapport. Went to several schools (Lake Forest, Buffalo State, University at Buffalo), it took 7 years for me to complete undergrad. I persevered through a lot in that time. Last 3 semesters GPA 3.4, 3.5, 3.55. Former college athlete. Applying for more internships in the field to gain additional experience.

Interested in: NYU MPH/MHA (Health Policy and Managment), Stony Brook U MPH (Health Policy and Management), Columbia MPH/MHA, GWU, UMD,
Applied(include the date of application): N/A
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Yes she did!

Basically she applied to all the top 10 schools (and got into all of them!), and some of them have December 1st deadlines. She actually took her first GRE in the beginning of October, didn't do so well, and retook it in early November. A lot of schools that I'm looking at that have December 1st deadlines, but they say that that's the deadline to submit onto SOPHAS (not necessarily when they receive from SOPHAS). I think you should look at whether the school your applying wants all your materials from SOPHAS BY december 1st, or for you to submit onto SOPHAS by Dec 1. They usually outline that in the admissions process page of their website. You also have the option of telling ETS where to send your scores the day you take your test, so you could opt for that to reduce some time. But honestly I think if you take it before November and you have the rest of your app ready, you should be fine.

I studied for the GRE for like 6 weeks (?) using Magoosh study plan. Super helpful! Download their vocab flashcards (it's free) and if you can afford it, pay for their plan! They have like a 90 day plan and a 30 day plan and they outline what books you should get. Your basically paying for their practice questions (they have ton).

Don't worry too much about your diagnostic. My first diagnostic was like 158V and 159Q. Really really look at what kinds of questions you got wrong and practice them.

Also, some tips:
- if your taking a computer test, take at least 2 practice test using a computer based practice test. just so your not awkwardly navigating that for the first time on test day.
- DON'T TAKE A PRACTICE TEST THE DAY BEFORE AND CRAM. i did that and i think that actually harmed me.
- Make sure as you practice, you pinpoint your weaknesses and practice those more. I got into the habit of practicing everything (even the questions that I was good at) and thus not dedicating enough time working on the type of questions i sucked at (writing and vocab).

Woah, that's awesome! Thanks for the information :)

I am not applying for MPH programs this year but I took my GRE recently and did well! What really helped me the most was the free practice tests that come on the ETS site. Make sure you take the timed one as it gives you your score!

Also, for studying vocab, I found that it's better to study the 100 most common words (found via google) rather than studying all of the words in a practice book.

Good luck!
Awesome! Thanks!!

Applying to: I'm an odd one! I am using tuition reciprocity, so my options are limited. Also, my family gets a say in where we go. Colorado, UN-Reno, NDSU, UND, Arizona, Idaho State, and, because its inexpensive, South Florida. I like all kinds of weather, in case you can't tell. A more prestigious program would be nice, but not very important -- and I want to pay in cash, so that's probably not realistic. Any other suggestions are greatly appreciated!

I think it is important to remember that many schools offer decent financial packages and scholarships. With your existing professional degree, you may be eligible for additional scholarships at some schools. If there is a "more prestigious program" that you are interested in, I think it is worth applying to so you can see what your package looks like in the end.

There are also schools that offer "advanced professional" MPH degrees for individuals with advanced degrees that are shorter than a traditional 2 year MPH. You may be interested in looking into those, too!

Updates:
Retook GRE today, V157+Q170☺️☺️☺️

Hello all!
Good luck on your applications!

Undergrad School: big 10
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.32
Major/Minor: Environmental Health Science
GradGPA
GRE (including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable): V 155, Q 166, 3.5. Going to retake it on 10/1
-1 year research project on indoor air pollution
-Public health service project in Peru
-3 years board member in a student organization
-Some summer internships irrelevant to public health
-currently on a gap year, working in a toxicology lab in china as a guest student
Special factors:
International student, completed my bachelor's degree in US
Interested in:
Global health / environmental health

Considering; GWU, BU, NYU, geaorgetown, Tulane, UCI, Columbia

I am super worrying now since my gpa is very average, and also my lack of experience :(
what are my chances?

Anyone have any feedback on Columbia's programs? I've heard mixed reviews about opportunities, size of the program, and individual attention. Any info would be appreciated!

Hey! I asked the first question on this thread but also called SOPHAS. It seems it's essentially the same thing--however, on the experiences section, you have 600 characters to explain what exactly you did, so I suppose it gives you room to delineate your experience. If anything, you can put the more public health-oriented experiences there and have your resume encompass everything.

Not sure about the second question, but I was originally looking to apply to LSHTM, which internationally, is one of the top prestigious and well-known schools for public health and is located in a great area if you want to do global work. The application opens November, though. So you have some time there.

thank you so so much!! Last question: did you end up doing your experience section as bullet points or more paragraph format? thanks again!

thank you so so much!! Last question: did you end up doing your experience section as bullet points or more paragraph format? thanks again!

I personally made it in paragraph form!

Hello every one,
I'm really greatful I came across such a forum. Searching for a masters' degree is not that easy since I'm not used to this much of choices and possibilities.
To break it down for you:
I'm a dentist (just wating for my diploma) and I got accepted for a Fulbright grant for next year, as an alternate nominee. I plan to pursue an MHA (master in health administration).
I still have to take the toefl.
As you will see, as an alternate I chose to play the "security Game" : High acceptance rate/ affordable studies and cities.

Undergrad School: Forein dental school
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: N/A
Major/Minor: N/A
GradGPA
Grad Studies (if applicable): Masters in health administration
GRE (september 20th 2017) [V152; Q158; W3.5] or Other Test (if applicable):
Research in dental stuff with an article wating to be published.
1 year internship in hospitals.
1year and a half a medical representative in several pharmaceutical companies.
2 years in total in call centers. (Irrelevant).
1 year as the president of the campus theater club.
1 year as head of the artistic department in my school.
Special factors: Foreign/ Fulbright (maybe more don't know)

Interested in: Tulane university (MHA), Georgia State University (MSHA), George Mason Uni (MHA), VCU (MSHCM), UNC Charlotte.
Applied
(include the date of application): Not yet
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

What do you think of my selection so far.
My question is, knowing that I have only 4 choices to make, and depending on my GRE scores, what is best fit?
If anyone could help me, It would be life saving.

Undergrad School: University of Wisconsin
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.3 (SOPHAS GPA is 3.42)
Major/Minor: Psychology and Conservation Biology
GradGPA (if applicable):NA
Grad Studies (if applicable):NA
GRE (including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable): 10/19: V154 Q157 AWA5.0; 11/16 V151 Q159 AWA5.5
Not much as far as public health goes but I was an RA in two different psychology labs. One dealing with Prejudice and one with motivation and learning.
I am going to Sri Lanka over winter break as part of a global health field experience.
This fall I facilitated an inclusion and diversity program for incoming students.
Special factors:
First generation student from a low income family that was also adopted

Interested in: Epidemiology specifically emerging zoonotic diseases
Applied
(include the date of application): Indiana, GWU, Georgetown, Wisconsin, Nebraska, SLU (Epi and Biosecurity), Yale, Tulane, Pitt (infectious diseases and microbiology pathogenesis, eradication, and laboratory practice), Emory, JHU (all verified around 11/27 for those that have applications on SOPHAS)
Accepted: SLU (Unofficial acceptance call 11/ 27; official acceptance letter 12/13, it took longer since I applied to a dual concentration program), Indiana (12/6), Pitt (12/12), GWU (12/18), BU (12/21), Nebraska (12/27)
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

I really need some help deciding where to apply. I know that not having any PH experience is really going to hold me back but I am sure that I can apply and get in somewhere.

Last edited:
Undergrad School: University of Tampa
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.54 /3.83
Major/Minor: Public Health with a concentration in Health Education and Wellness/Minor Sociology
GRE: October 6th- 149V 151Q (I know... not good but I am terrible at standardized tests and improved a lot from the first time I took it)
  • MEDLIFE internship living in Lima Peru for 3 months- Assisted in running mobile health clinics and development projects, compiled and analyze patient data and health metrics
  • Youth Clinic, HIV test counselor/assistant outreach coordinator for 10 months(ongoing) - Administer HIV/STI tests, provide linkage to care, create community outreach events to bring awareness of HIV and testing including Worlds AIDS Day, International condom day, Hall-o-SCREEN and Gay Men HIV/AIDS Day
  • Pediatrics Infectious Disease HIV/AIDS Research for 5 months- Assisted in HIV clinical trial research to find new drug protocols
  • Peace Corps Campus Ambassador for 6 months- Working to spread the mission of Peace Corps on campus and the community by outreach events and presentations
  • Certified Nursing Aid for 4 months- Worked as a CNA in an assisted living facility working with residents who have ALS and MS
  • Very involved on campus- President-Order of Omega, President- Pre-Physician Assistant Association, Vice President- Public Health Association, Volunteer Coordinator- MEDLIFE, Sergeant of Arms- Eta Sigma Gamma
  • Volunteer about 80 hours each semester- Habitat for Humanity, Special Olympics, Emergency Room, Feeding Tampa Bay, RAM
Special factors:
-Study abroad in South Africa and that is where I fell in love with public health (Paul Farmer is my role model!)
-LOR- 3 professors and one boss - Epidemiology prof, Sociology prof, advisor/public health prof, and MEDLIFE boss.

Interested in: MPH in Global Health, Global Health/Epi programs- Specifically in HIV prevention and Treatment

Applied: verified - Boston(October 9th), Tulane (October 15th), Tufts (October 25th), GW (October 25th), Colorado (November 10th), Emory (November 17th), Brown (November 20th), University of Washington (November 30th)
Accepted: Tulane (October 24th), George Washington (November 19th), Tufts (December 8th), Boston University (December 15th), Brown (February 15th), Colorado (February 21st)
Rejected: UW (1/20), Emory (1/29)

Attending: Brown University School of Public Health!!!

Last edited:
Hi! I just took my GRE yesterday and I was in a similar situation - had to juggle a full time job and other commitments, and I've been away from school for over a decade now. I managed a 170Q (99th percentile)/ 163V (85th percentile) on my first attempt. I'll be applying to Harvard, Columbia, UMich and Johns Hopkins for their MPH programs.

Anyway, do message me for more tips if you'd like, but here are some of the things I found very useful:

- I signed up for Magoosh's GRE prep course and watched as many videos as I could on Quant (my weakness). The videos were very systematic and were useful in helping me recall high school math. I'm a visual learner and the clear explanations and diagrams were very useful.

- the Manhattan prep books are REALLY useful for Quant. I worked through the chapters in books 1 through 6 on the various Quant topics and attempted the problem sets at the end of each chapter. I've heard the Manhattan prep books aren't as useful for Verbal, though. Also get your hands on the Manhattan prep 5-lb book of practice questions if possible as it has loads of questions on each topic.

- unlike most people, I was more worried for Quant as opposed to verbal, but I still put in effort for verbal prep. I did many questions on Magoosh, and familiarised myself with having to read and digest large chunks of admittedly boring text (which is a good skill for the RC portions of the test). I also used the vocabulary guide from Magoosh (which you can download for free from their website), as well as their Flashcards app.

- in terms of time management, I tried to get in at least 1 hour of solid studying a day since late July. I would watch Quant videos, and attempt at least 15-20 questions a day from both verbal and Quant. I took leave from work for the two weeks leading up to the test to focus my efforts on GRE prep. While I'm not sure if you might be able to do the same, I still think you can get a lot done with regard to studying if you pace yourself - the most important thing here is consistency over time as it'll allow you to absorb the info better.

- You have about ten days till the test - I would use the time to review topics you aren't confident in, and keep practicing questions (that's really the best way to pick up on the common tips and tricks in the actual test).

All the best!

This is so helpful! Thank you so much. My scores ended up being 155V and 143Q...so bad! But I am re-taking in a month. Is it possible to increase my quant score by at least 17 points in a month?

It seems like everyone here has a lot of work experience, so I'm a little concerned about my bare minimum work experience. Also, I'm not sure if there's a thread on this, but does anyone know which schools offer generous scholarships/financial aid?

Undergrad School: Ivy League
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.94 (SOPHAS verified)
Major/Minor: Biology, Medical Anthropology and Global Health (double major)
GRE (including date taken): V 166 (97%), Q 167 (92%), AW 5.0 (93%) - taken on 5/6/17
Other Test: MCAT in 2014 - Physical Sciences 12 (95%), Biological Sciences 12 (95%), Verbal Reasoning 9 (67%), total 33 (91%)
  • Will have 2 years of full-time work experience as a health policy analyst by next summer
  • 2.5 years of hospital volunteer
  • 1 year of genetics research leading to an honors thesis
  • 1 year of medical cannabis and cosmetic development research
  • 6 months as an RA for a clinical research study
  • Tutored college biology classes for a year
  • Marketing and fundraising chair for a club for a year
  • Tutored grade school students struggling with reading for a year
  • TA'd an anthro class for a summer term
Special factors: first-generation college graduate, immigrant, speak four languages, transferred from a community college to an Ivy League

Interested in: health policy, health economics, mental health
Applied: Hopkins (completed 10/17, SOPHAS verified 10/24), Harvard (completed 10/17, SOPHAS verified 10/24), Berkeley (completed 10/20, SOPHAS verified 10/24), UCLA (verified 10/30) -- all MPH Health Policy track, except Community Health Sciences for UCLA
Accepted: Hopkins (1/8), UCLA (2/2), Berkeley (2/12), Harvard (2/22)
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Last edited:
Undergrad School: GWU
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.53 / 3.80
Major: Biology
GRE: No GRE, MCAT Score of 517 (95th percentile)
Experience/Research
1 Semester TA for Undergrad Bio Lab
1.5 Years Tutoring
1 Summer Biology Research Lab
1 Year as a Research Intern for a Medical Clinic, leading to a published abstract and poster presentation
Other Info: Had terrible GPA first few semesters of college but improved later, earning between a 3.9-4.0 every semester the last 2 years of college. Did not have time to take GRE before applications but already had solid MCAT scores so I only applied to programs that accepted MCAT in lieu of GRE.

Applied to: Boston, Drexel, Temple, Yale, Columbia, Mt Sinai, Rutgers
All for Environmental/Occupational MPH programs
Submitted apps in mid September hoping for some early decisions from schools with rolling admissions.
Accepted: Mt Sinai (10/1), Temple (10/1), Rutgers (10/15), Drexel (11/15), Boston (12/15).

Has anyone else tried applying to MPH programs with only MCAT scores? I was worried about having a very medically oriented application at first but I addressed my reasoning for a change of career path and my reasons for wanting an MPH in my essays. I have already been accepted into the Mt Sinai program, which seems more inclined to accept MCAT score from applicants, but I am really hoping for Columbia or Yale.

Last edited: