Moving to Grenada OR St. Kitts UPDATED please

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which island is better as far as expenses go? St. kitts or grenada?

• Grenada

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • St. Kitts

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

vettech327

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I've seen many posts about this but I would like UPDATED info from students who have attended more recently like 2015 or later. I haven't been accepted (yet) but I just want to be proactive and get all the information I possibly can! I saw a few things on google about shipping boxes and/or BARRELS down to either island through Amerijet. Has anyone had any experience with this? Also, do you suggest shipping a mattress OR mattress topper down to the island? ANY INFO helps. I am mostly looking at info for off campus housing, bringing pets (10 lb cat and 8lb dog), shipping products down, and packing luggage on the flight.

thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

I doubt there will be many students that went to both...?
I can only speak for my experience at St. Kitts.

- RENT (off campus) you are looking at generally anywhere between $500 - $1000 USD/month, some places can be a little more especially the nicer Mariott housing at the Royal on the island.
- BARREL/SHIPPNG boxes I never did, but I have had friends that have gotten them. Could take a month to get there if I remember, also keep in mind any new electronics and valuable items could go through customs and you could get taxed pretty hard, but I would suggest talking to someone who has shipped before before you do.
- You don't need to ship a MATTRESS, the rooms are generally furnished unless for whatever reason you really love your mattress.
- Bringing your dogs/cats I think you need vet certificate of some rabies thing. Most of the students there bring pets back and forth during breaks so it is not that difficult. Keep in mind if you are living on campus first semester you are not allowed to bring pets (They did experiment with a few students last semester however by allowing them to). So you'd most likely bring them in the semester afterwards once you figure out off campus housing.

Feel free to asking me some basic stuff. I was there from Aug - Dec of last year and I will try to answer what I can

Reactions: 1 users
I suspect costs between the two islands are relatively similar since its generally expensive to ship and import things to other countries. Lots of customs taxing happens in Grenada. Its best to try and figure out what the bare minimum you need to live is rather than to try and replicate an American lifestyle for a few years.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I doubt there will be many students that went to both...?
I can only speak for my experience at St. Kitts.

- RENT (off campus) you are looking at generally anywhere between $500 - $1000 USD/month, some places can be a little more especially the nicer Mariott housing at the Royal on the island.
- BARREL/SHIPPNG boxes I never did, but I have had friends that have gotten them. Could take a month to get there if I remember, also keep in mind any new electronics and valuable items could go through customs and you could get taxed pretty hard, but I would suggest talking to someone who has shipped before before you do.
- You don't need to ship a MATTRESS, the rooms are generally furnished unless for whatever reason you really love your mattress.
- Bringing your dogs/cats I think you need vet certificate of some rabies thing. Most of the students there bring pets back and forth during breaks so it is not that difficult. Keep in mind if you are living on campus first semester you are not allowed to bring pets (They did experiment with a few students last semester however by allowing them to). So you'd most likely bring them in the semester afterwards once you figure out off campus housing.

Feel free to asking me some basic stuff. I was there from Aug - Dec of last year and I will try to answer what I can

thank you for the info!

did u not continue at Ross after december?

did u live off campus during ur time there?

Feel free to message me, I was on island from April '15 - August '17 (now in clinics). But no, definitely DO NOT ship a matress, lol. This will be provided anywhere you rent.

(And also essentially no one will be able to give a perspective on which island is cheaper, I know of two people ever who have gone to both. They're both costly but you're on St. Kitts for a shorter period of time because its an accelerated program. Its also closer to America so that makes having things sent to you, flights, and cost of imported goods are slightly less.)

thank you for the info!

did u not continue at Ross after december?

did u live off campus during ur time there?

No I did not. I was waiting on decisions while I was taking classes there. I took this semester off in case I was accepted into another school and I am!

I lived off campus.

Reactions: 1 user
Just pointing out that although Ross is an accelerated program, that you do pay for 1 additional semester that you do not pay for at sgu (or state schools) so that's an extra many thousands of dollars more. Also, the Ross tuition is overall more expensive, so even if cost of living is a little cheaper in st. Kitts (honestly I'm really skeptical but I've never been to compare), you'll make up for it in tuition.

Although this is a great question to think about when trying to decide between schools, given the pretty significant academic differences between sgu and ross, I would probably focus my decision more on which curriculum felt like a better fit. Slightly shorter program with more semesters and minimal time off? More traditional model with summers and winter breaks?