Moving Stata file into SPSS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nycpsychloy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all!!

So I've been given data gold by a mentor... an old longitudinal data set that has never been touched... to use for my Psych MA Thesis! The only issue is that the data set is in STATA form and I only know SPSS. I tried to convert the file into an SPSS file like you would convert an excel file but with no luck... does anyone know another way of converting the file without having to enter each number in one at a time??

THANKS!!!:)

Members don't see this ad.

google:

How do I use a Stata data file in SPSS?
1. Reading a Stata file up to version 9 with SAS

SPSS 15 and above currently supports Stata up to version 9. A Stata data file can be read in SPSS either via pull-down menu or via syntax using the get stata file command.

Using the pull-down menus select File -> Open -> Data... and then for Files of Type select the appropriate sas data file type; then select the file from the list and click Open. That is all to it.

With SPSS syntax we can use the get stata file command to read in a Stata data file.

get stata file='C:\data\states.dta'.

2. Saving a Stata data file as a version 9 file

If you have a newer version of Stata such as Stata 10, you can save a data file as a version 9 file with the saveold command. Here is an example.

use http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/notes/hsb2, clear
(highschool and beyond (200 cases))
saveold "c:\data\hsb2old.dta"
file c:\data\hsb2old.dta saved

3. Using Stat/Transfer

The most updated version of Stat/Transfer will recognize Stata version 10 data files and converting Stata data files to SPSS is fairly straightforward.

THANKKKKK YOU!!!!! I didn't realize that using an older version of SPSS would have mattered! I just moved the file over using SPSS 16 and it worked!

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:love: