Moving from CA to WI, switch cars from RWD to AWD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Orangeyouglad

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Basically the title. For some context, I currently have 8 year old RWD coupe and I'm moving to WI for residency and barely any experience driving in snow, especially with my car. I was wondering what would be the best move for me in terms of getting a new car. Is AWD necessary? I know maintenance can be expensive on them. How old should I be looking at? Should I even buy or should I lease? Should I buy it here or there?

On another note, I'm sad to give up this car. It's my baby and I've worked on it for years. Sad to see it go :(

Members don't see this ad.

Drive slow, brake slow and early, increase following distance, and don't make quick turns of the steering wheel to readjust when sliding. For what it's worth I have a RWD crossover and have never really had a problem. I live near the WI border, so I might not get quite as much snow if you are going further up north and also don't drive off road. Some people get snow tires, and some people have AWD; although both help, I wouldn't know to what extent.

Reactions: 1 user
Get good tires, all season at least (snow tires for winter, all season for summer is even better). Take your time when it does snow, live close to your hospital - you should be fine. When it does snow enough the first time you’re here to make it slick - find a big empty parking lot to practice turning and braking so you know how your car will react.

Lifelong Michigan native (some say snow is worse in MI than WI), only drove little front wheel coupes growing up, now own an AWD for last 2 years. The AWD makes everything easier, makes controlling the vehicle more reliable, lets me not leave quite so early if the weather is crud. I would have driven all but 2 trips these last 2 years with my little coupe of the past. Both were 45 min drives in good weather, one was an ice storm, other was white out snow storm. Without AWD, would have called in.

After growing up in CA I lived in the upper Midwest for med school/residency with my RWD pickup--pretty much the worst setup you can have as there isn't much weight on the drive wheels.

People have been driving 2wd vehicles for a long time in the midwest and other snow states and have done ok. AWD is nice to have, but really just keeps you from getting stuck. It helps you go, but AWD doesn't help you stop one bit which is the bigger issue in snow.

As long as you're not in the boonies, most of the major midwest cities do a really good job with snow plowing. The only time I ever had to drive through "real" snow was when it was during the snowstorm itself or immediate aftermath.

I recommend true snow tires for the winter months (I installed them around Oct/Nov, switched back to summer tires around April). RWD with snow tires will beat AWD with "all season tires" anyday. True snow tires stay softer in the frigid weather and have appropriate treads for snow. It makes a huge difference. Much bigger than RWD vs AWD. I got mine from Tire Rack. I can't stress that there is a difference between "all season tires" and "mud and snow" tires and actual snow tires. If it doesn't have the Mountain/snowflake symbol, it's not a true snow tire. Any tire person in the midwest will know the right tires to set you up with if you buy them in person.

Drive safe, slow. Anticipate turns, etc. Leave for work early and expect slower traffic. Also wake up early to clear your windshield of ice and car of snow--that's a pain if you're running late, but I found it fun and meditative when I planned ahead.

Consider putting a couple packs of tube sand (60lb sand bags sold at any hardware store in the winter in the Midwest) above the drive wheels. I used to put 4 or 5 (300lbs) over mine, but like I said, RWD pickups need more weight. A car probably wouldn't need more than 2, if it needs them at all. Do NOT put them all the way at the rear of the car as that can make fishtailing more likely--you put them directly over the axle. It'll help you get more traction.

With snow tires, then AWD>FWD>RWD, but any one of those with snow tires will beat all the others without snow tires. 4WD is as good as either AWD or RWD--it depends on your 4WD system, as many don't have a differential between the two axles and really shouldn't be engaged until there is about 4 or 6 inches of snow on the ground.

I'm a sentimentalist, so I'd keep your current car and buy a new set of rims and some snow tires. But, if it's a older classic car, keep in mind the salt on those Midwest winter roads will wreck havoc on the undercarriage real quick.

Thy number of snow tires shalt equal four. Thou shalt not have 2 snow tires only on thy rear axle or thou shalt end up in a ditch.

Reactions: 7 users
@RangerBob (not a real ranger) said it before I could, and is 100% spot on target. The worst snow tire is better than the best all-weather tire in snow.

When I had my Dakota, 25+ years ago, it was RWD, but, also, I had a manual transmission. So, if I began to spin or slide, I could just push in the clutch, and that would straighten me out very quickly. Still, I had to get sandbags from the Depot to weigh down the rear end. That works on your mileage.

Flash forward to 2015, and I got my first diesel. Ecodiesel 1500, 4wd. For my 100 mile each way commute, that was quite safe (the Ecodiesel engine, on the other hand, what a POS). Upgraded in 2018 to Ram 2500 4wd with a 6.7L Cummins inline 6. Likewise, safe.

My BMW was RWD, but, also, safe. It just got old. Remember that the worst thing on the road is not ice, or rain, or deer/elk/bear/moose, but, other people.

After this long, pointless screed, one last thought - I don't know about WI, but NY, PA, and OH salt the roads (not sand). That will eat your vehicle to the floorboards. You didn't mention the year of your car, but, you might get a very rude surprise.

If you're in the market for a new car then yes go ahead and get an AWD. If the one you have is working fine otherwise, I agree with the concept of getting snow tires and rotating through them at appropriate intervals. RWD + snow tires > AWD w/o snow tires.

Basically the title. For some context, I currently have 8 year old RWD coupe and I'm moving to WI for residency and barely any experience driving in snow, especially with my car. I was wondering what would be the best move for me in terms of getting a new car. Is AWD necessary? I know maintenance can be expensive on them. How old should I be looking at? Should I even buy or should I lease? Should I buy it here or there?

On another note, I'm sad to give up this car. It's my baby and I've worked on it for years. Sad to see it go :(

I've always lived in places with a fair amount of snow and never have had an AWD/4WD vehicle. Plenty of people drive vehicles without it. There are quite a few drivers with it who drive with overconfidence (i.e. too fast for conditions, or make sudden turns/lane changes) and end up in a ditch anyhow. If you want to buy a car with it, go ahead...but it doesn't substitute for slowing down, keeping a healthy distance behind the car in front of you, and being cautious, which is really the key to safe winter driving.

As far as salt vs. sand, in the upper midwest, it seems to vary by community. Traction is better with salted roads, but it is harder on your car. That's why the car washes have long lines on nice winter days; get the underbody flush to help get the salt off. I usually get quality all-season tires. Putting sand bags in your trunk for added weight also can help in snow as mentioned above.

I moved from california to a cold midwest city with a RWD sports car which struggled like crazy when it snowed. If the roads were plowed I could drive carefully and be ok on the main roads and highways, but I had to avoid any hills or side roads with a couple inches of snow. I got stuck in a parking lot with maybe 8 inches of snow on it, and I also did a tail spin on a side road. Thankfully I avoided the ditch because I was driving slow.

I drove some cheap FWD rental cars during the winter there which had no problems at all with regular tires. If I knew I was going to live in a snowy place long term, I would sell my RWD. I'm sure AWD would be great but FWD was plenty for an urban/suburban environment with plowed and salted roads.

I've lived most in my life in the snow best and rarely had 4wd/awd. I have always had a solid, full (4) set of snow or equivocal all year tires in good shape. Still drive a rwd car and do just fine.
However, if you have a long commute and are timid, look at a subaru. Excellent winter car with longevity.