DO Moving Forward DO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ruskimed

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm finally considering applying to American medical schools after spending years combatting damage I have done to my GPA and a rejection from several Canadian schools. I had two semesters of approximately a 1.7 GPA as a result of not really knowing where I have been going with my life. For reference, I have improved my cGPA 3.3, sGPA 3.3 with 7 semesters of 3.9 and 4.0 and MCAT 507.

My concern with the fact I am a US/Canadian Dual Citizen living in Canada, which kind of limits my understanding of the US application process.

My ECs include some hospital volunteering 80 hours, probably 100 or so by the time I submit, and some other various community volunteering gigs, probably about 20 hours currently. I'm fortunate to have lined up a shadowing gig with in a rural ER and family practice in May ~40 hours or so, something not necessarily easy to do in Canada.

My question lies in what do I need to be doing to maximize my odds at receiving a DO acceptance, what should my hour targets be before I apply this year, when is the ideal time to apply, and what schools should I be applying to?

Members don't see this ad.

It may help if you shadow a DO doc. A LOR from one could really help you, as well. Otherwise, continue to increase volunteer hours and stay the course.

Best of luck to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I suggest these DO schools with your stats:
ACOM
ARCOM
BCOM
WCU-COM
LMU-DCOM
UP-KYCOM
MU-COM
WVSOM
UIWSOM
VCOM (all 3 schools)
NYIT-Arkansas
RVU-Utah
ICOM
LECOM (all schools)
PCOM-Georgia and Moultrie

Members don't see this ad :)
So I noticed some of the schools you recommended are pre-accreditation status. What does that exactly mean for me?

So I noticed some of the schools you recommended are pre-accreditation status. What does that exactly mean for me?
It means the school is new and will not receive final accreditation until sometime in the future.