Moral Injury and Burnout

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Sure, path dependence is a thing. But why not just turn it over even more to social workers? Why hire MDs at all?

I absolutely agree with you that many times our patients' needs are things that will never, ever, ever be fixed with medications. I just don't see why we would expect physicians qua physicians to be the ones fixing it.
Because you don't know what you don't know. Just because you go to see an orthopedic surgeon and end up with a PT referral instead of surgery does not mean you should have seen a PT for that eval in the first place. We have both the depth and breadth to do diagnosis and treatment planning beyond what any therapists, social workers, or psychologists can do.

It's not that there isn't a place for a SW eval for psychosocial interventions or a psychologist eval for psychotherapy interventions but I cannot tell you how many times my evals have been worth much more than either of those disciplines can offer. It's actually a relatively low time suck of an MD's time if it's only for an initial consultation and then referred out to other services/programing/case management.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
You realize that metanalysis is basically looking at psychosocial interventions on top of medication? It's not exactly making an argument that you can replace medication with any of those psychological or social support interventions. I mean, I don't think this is a particularly debated topic that SOME kind of psychosocial support is better than no support in patients with severe mental illness.
Yes I am aware of that fact and have in fact read the paper I linked to. This is in response to an earlier post saying that psychosocial interventions generally have smaller effect sizes and are not as important as biological interventions. At no point in this thread did I say that medications are not vital or life saving for many of our patients, nor have I ever recommended to a patient of mine that they should forgo antipsychotics and just do psychosocial interventions. Not sure how you could read my posts in this thread in this light but thank you for your comment.

Reactions: 1 user
Fantastic thread, it's been fabulous to read. Too bad I don't have popcorn available here. Would've made the experience more theatrical if you will.

Adding to what someone said above about the worried well, one of my mentors said something that stuck with me.
In psychiatry we basically have 2 cohorts of patients, sick patients that don't want to see you and not-so sick patients that want to see you.
The latter will pay handsomely to see you, the former probably are uninsured.

I can see why dp mentions about prestige and interventions that cater to that particular population (TMS, ketamine/esketamine, maybe psylocibin in the future?). These don't take away from what we do as doctors, because we are basically treating two very distinct patient populations. To each their own and I do wish we had more services for the sick patients that don't want to see you.

In my line of work, we get to see a lot of patients struggling with methamphetamines getting a LAI instead of contigency management (which will treat the underlying cause of their presentation). The machinery here in the US is geared towards making money and not giving it away, so LAI's will prevail for treating methamphetamine use disorder patients. California is piloting a CM program for medi-cal patients so in a way there might be light at the end of the tunnel. In this system though, it's much easier to just give an LAI and forget about it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Exactly how many truly chronically mentally ill/sick people do we think there are in this country? I'm surprised to see so many psychiatrists think that so many people they see in outpatient treatment really need fancy stuff...and/or need it for years and years on end.

Psychosocial interventions, Psychotherapy, healthy living skills, money, hope, social connection/trust and access to services that allow the aforementioned to flourish and grow is paramount for mental health. Humans are resilient creatures and just living life (and suffering through it as we all must) is not that ****ing complicated. If its just a matter of not living your best life, I'm not sure why medical psychiatric providers are involved at all???

Do physicians actually run CMHCs? The majority ive seen are run by some idiot with a bachelors degree from university of phoenix. I think typically board of directors, CEOs, admin for CMHCs from what ive seen are non clinical people.
No clue if this is still the case but MMHC was run by a psychiatrist. The president+CEO of one of the biggest local CMHC's in my new area is also a MD.

Because you don't know what you don't know. Just because you go to see an orthopedic surgeon and end up with a PT referral instead of surgery does not mean you should have seen a PT for that eval in the first place. We have both the depth and breadth to do diagnosis and treatment planning beyond what any therapists, social workers, or psychologists can do.

Okay, sure. I don't think anyone's ever objected to the idea of noticing when a psychosocial intervention is relevant and recommending it or providing a referral. It might even be good for patients for psychiatrist to spend most of their time doing therapy and a much smaller portion on meds. We just have to recognize that the less relevant meds are, the less relevant our medical credentials are.

It's not that there isn't a place for a SW eval for psychosocial interventions or a psychologist eval for psychotherapy interventions but I cannot tell you how many times my evals have been worth much more than either of those disciplines can offer. It's actually a relatively low time suck of an MD's time if it's only for an initial consultation and then referred out to other services/programing/case management.

I would say being able to tell if meds are appropriate is absolutely a function of knowing about how to deploy meds. So we are probably on the same page. In my experience the best evaluations I have ever read are usually coming from psychologists, but a) they are appropriately not commenting much on the aspects of treatment I have the most training in and b) our experiences may just legitimately differ.

lol, this reminds me of The White Lotus. You have to admit, I make very valid points by subjecting the conventional narrative to downright honest scrutiny. So you look at someone successful and you say what is going on here, and then you say okay which part of this is fake and which is real? I'm not anything particular personally, though admittedly I have *seen* a lot. I *know* a lot of *stuff*, doesn't mean that I'm smarter or richer, and that's irrelevant anyway on a personal level. I'm saying I'm sort of a Morpheus of The Matrix if you will, I can start to get people to see the REALITY for what it is so everyone can make a choice as to whether they want to stay in the Matrix or get out of it.

This is also not particularly limited to me personally. I learned a lot from colleagues both junior and senior and I can see where things are coming from, and a lot of them have moe insight to specific topical issues than I do.

The point of all of this isn't to put people on some kind of bell curve and grade people and somehow assert my superiority. It's to say that you have options, you can do this and that, and choices have consequences. If you aren't happy, make a change.

As I've said before, you are definitely the Evil Fairy Godperson of this forum. You're not wrong, Walter. . .

I think a lot of your analysis is accurate as far as identifying why systems work the way they do. And then you centered it around "prestige", which, you will note, is not a thing anyone invoked until you entered the conversation, and which most people have responded to with puzzlement. You may consider if you are the source of the concern for prestige in this conversation v. it being a naturally occurring tangent from the thread.

Reactions: 3 users
Okay, sure. I don't think anyone's ever objected to the idea of noticing when a psychosocial intervention is relevant and recommending it or providing a referral. It might even be good for patients for psychiatrist to spend most of their time doing therapy and a much smaller portion on meds. We just have to recognize that the less relevant meds are, the less relevant our medical credentials are.

I would say being able to tell if meds are appropriate is absolutely a function of knowing about how to deploy meds. So we are probably on the same page. In my experience the best evaluations I have ever read are usually coming from psychologists, but a) they are appropriately not commenting much on the aspects of treatment I have the most training in and b) our experiences may just legitimately differ.
I think our experiences must legitimately differ. Having done OP intakes and now PHP/IOP intakes for the past 5 years, I cannot tell you how many comments I have received from parents (I'm all CAP) about how much better conceptualized my description of both the diagnoses themselves and the suspected etiology or perpetuating factors are compared to assessments their child has had in the past from NPs, PCPs, LCSWs, or psychologists. I have read well north of 100 psychologic evals during this time and it is so fleetingly rare they fully encapsulate the patient, which I think is largely attributable to them having to complete very time intensive tasks (the testing itself) and because the people doing this testing often do not follow-up with patients to determine how effective their assessments are (tough doing a job you get basically no feedback on your accuracy).

I think I am an above average psychiatrist but certainly not a world beater so I would expect my experience is pretty generalizable to other psychiatrists. My organization is actually tracking the difference between masters level intake assessments versus MD intake assessments but it's too early in that data collection for me to having any results to share, certainly the other leadership also sees a difference here.

Last edited:
As they say--we can train any monkey to do surgery, the important thing is knowing when not to operate. In the same way, I think we do have a special authority in the sense that we have a deeper knowledge and broader context than just about anybody else in the mental health game. I can say with some confidence when something is or is not a prescription drug problem. I have worked with many excellent social workers and therapists who have never set foot on an inpatient unit, who have never seen severe and incapacitating psychosis, and who have a hard time differentiating between a psychotic BPD patient vs. someone with a genuine primary psychotic disorder.

I would love to have the ability to divert a big chunk of my panel towards robust psychosocial interventions, and spend more of my time on the patients with truly medical issues.

I think our experiences must legitimately differ. Having done OP intakes and now PHP/IOP intakes for the past 5 years, I cannot tell you how many comments I have received from parents (I'm all CAP) about how much better conceptualized my description of both the diagnoses themselves and the suspected etiology or perpetuating factors are compared to assessments their child has had in the past from NPs, PCPs, LCSWs, or psychologists. I have read well north of 100 psychologic evals during this time and it is so fleetingly rare they fully encapsulate the patient, which I think is largely attributable to them having to complete very time intensive tasks (the testing itself) and because the people doing this testing often do not follow-up with patients to determine how effective their assessments are (tough doing a job you get basically no feedback from).

I think I am an above average psychiatrist but certainly not a world beater so I would expect my experience is pretty generalizable to other psychiatrists. My organization is actually tracking the difference between masters level intake assessments versus MD intake assessments but it's too early in that data collection for me to having any results to share, certainly the other leadership also sees a difference here.

This is all very true.
I work with and supervise psychologists and social workers. I have a ton of respect for the expertise they bring.
Social workers know a lot more than I do about the resources in the community and how to properly refer and what is realistic and what is not.
Psychologists are excellent in the interpersonal department. They get more intensive supervision in therapy than most psychiatrists in residency.
But the idea that they can replace us in the acute setting is laughable, and it's not just about "prescribing medications".
The reality is that they do not get the same breadth and depth of exposure as we do, which is critical in establishing clinical acumen, getting the right differential, assessing dangerousness and making the right clinical decisions. All while being extremely efficient.
Now if they want to go through the hoops of medical school, then toil through a similar residency and take on legal liability for holding patients against their will and discharging them from the hospital, they are most welcome to.

Fantastic thread, it's been fabulous to read. Too bad I don't have popcorn available here. Would've made the experience more theatrical if you will.

Adding to what someone said above about the worried well, one of my mentors said something that stuck with me.
In psychiatry we basically have 2 cohorts of patients, sick patients that don't want to see you and not-so sick patients that want to see you.
The latter will pay handsomely to see you, the former probably are uninsured.

I can see why dp mentions about prestige and interventions that cater to that particular population (TMS, ketamine/esketamine, maybe psylocibin in the future?). These don't take away from what we do as doctors, because we are basically treating two very distinct patient populations. To each their own and I do wish we had more services for the sick patients that don't want to see you.

In my line of work, we get to see a lot of patients struggling with methamphetamines getting a LAI instead of contigency management (which will treat the underlying cause of their presentation). The machinery here in the US is geared towards making money and not giving it away, so LAI's will prevail for treating methamphetamine use disorder patients. California is piloting a CM program for medi-cal patients so in a way there might be light at the end of the tunnel. In this system though, it's much easier to just give an LAI and forget about it.

The distinction you make is probably true.
However, it's disingenuous (even if intentially so) to bring up 'prestige and technical skills' to argue against funding for psychosocial interventions in treatment of SMI, as I don't think this is playing in the dynamics in the acute setting.
No one is going to drop antipsychotics, depakote, lithium, clozapine, ECT for psychosocial interventions.
This is factoring much more when you're treating the 'worried well', as you need to sell the latest hype and gadget and, ironically, this is where the science gets a lot more dicey and what gives us a bad rep on the long term.

Also, it's probably very relevant that @dl2dp2 brought up prestige, only because it's definitely factoring in real life decisions about funding.
But as physicians, aren't we ethically obliged to do what's best for patients?
This is simply good old corruption.
I would be much happier and satisfied in my work if it is more global in its approach, as opposed to 'purely technical', and if I knew I'm doing what's best in the patient's interest. It really is not an either/or.

Last edited:
I’ve been thinking about this a lot in terms of the online uproar in reaction to the Clancy case in Massachusetts. This case is incredibly tragic and I’m not commenting on the case or PPP.
The online uproar has been in terms of how the ‘system’ fails post partum women. PPD is like depression a complex issue and for most mothers not a simple cause and effect. Big risk factors are ambivalence regarding pregnancy, single parenthood, lack of social support, poor relationship quality with partner and pre-existing depression. What exactly are they expecting from “the system?” When you need a village, a supportive partner and are unsure about being a parent ssris and brief psychotherapy will not solve these problems. The constant expectation that the mental health system has the ability to remedy all kinds of bad situations resulting from personal decisions is ridiculous. We tend to be the scapegoat for lack of accountability.

Reactions: 6 users
Exactly how many truly chronically mentally ill/sick people do we think there are in this country? I'm surprised to see so many psychiatrists think that so many people they see in outpatient treatment really need fancy stuff...and/or need it for years and years on end.

Psychosocial interventions, Psychotherapy, healthy living skills, money, hope, social connection/trust and access to services that allow the aforementioned to flourish and grow is paramount for mental health. Humans are resilient creatures and just living life (and suffering through it as we all must) is not that ****ing complicated. If its just a matter of not living your best life, I'm not sure why medical psychiatric providers are involved at all???
I believe there are millions. I agree that behavioral health treatment shouldn't be the the default mechanism by which people achieve good lives. That said, where we differ is: I think a majority of people are really struggling, and Psychiatry is not the answer. It seems you think most are doing ok. We agree Psychiatry is not currently equipped to deal with what most people are needing.

Last edited:
There are millions. I am glad you have found life uncomplicated. Your experiences are fringe, most find it very difficult. I guess you can take note of how many people are struggling it decide that they 'should be able to figure it out' and take comfort from that but I don't.
I think the reference is to medicalization of suffering. No doubt millions are suffering but not suffering from a primary psychiatric illness. As people are taught to pathologize suffering (thanks pharmaceutical advertising) they get tied up in the mental health system when they may have been better off/more resilient living through and interacting with their pain without trying to suppress it. I definitely see their point in line with the viewpoint you have been expressing.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
There are millions. I am glad you have found life uncomplicated. Your experiences are fringe, most find it very difficult. I guess you can take note of how many people are struggling it decide that they 'should be able to figure it out' and take comfort from that but I don't.

Right, if we just take bipolar disorder and schizophrenia (not even counting personality disorders, severe MDD, severe anxiety disorders, severe OCD, developmental disabilities/ASD, etc etc):

Number of US adults 2020: 331.4 million
NIMH 1 year prevalence of bipolar disorder: 2.8% adults (9.27 million) -> most studies put somewhere in the 2-3% range worldwide consistently
NIMH prevalence of schizophrenia: 0.25-0.64% (call it 0.5%, so 1.66 million)

So yeah, you could tie up all the psychiatrists in the united states just handling the people with those two illnesses if we could get them consistently in contact with the medical system.

Last edited:
I think the reference is to medicalization of suffering. No doubt millions are suffering but not suffering from a primary psychiatric illness. As people are taught to pathologize suffering (thanks pharmaceutical advertising) they get tied up in the mental health system when they may have been better off/more resilient living through and interacting with their pain without trying to suppress it. I definitely see their point in line with the viewpoint you have been expressing.
I agree with that!

Also, it's probably very relevant that @dl2dp2 brought up prestige, only because it's definitely factoring in real life decisions about funding.
But as physicians, aren't we ethically obliged to do what's best for patients?
This is simply good old corruption.
I would be much happier and satisfied in my work if it is more global in its approach, as opposed to 'purely technical', and if I knew I'm doing what's best in the patient's interest. It really is not an either/or.

Your first point is not tethered to your second point. Physicians are ethically obliged to do what is best for the patient right in front of them. We are not ethically obliged to make imaginary assumptions about whether our practice is going to be best for some collective group of patients out there we never see.

In high quality private practice, the work is much more global in nature because you have the time and space to take care of pieces of the puzzles that are not technical. There is no sale of snake oil here at all. Prestige follows the exact opposite of snake oil. As I said before, the best private treatment is typically combined med and therapy treatment with extensive psychosocial interventions, which is by far the most evidence based treatment program.

What you really object to is that high quality treatment isn’t accessible in public settings because the system isn’t willing to pay for it. You can achieve a much happier and satisfied state in private practice, but you just set yourself up to failure by saying that I can’t do this in the public system and woe is me, and private treatment must be corrupt. This makes no sense to me.

• Okay...
Reactions: 4 users
Your first point is not tethered to your second point. Physicians are ethically obliged to do what is best for the patient right in front of them. We are not ethically obliged to make imaginary assumptions about whether our practice is going to be best for some collective group of patients out there we never see.

In high quality private practice, the work is much more global in nature because you have the time and space to take care of pieces of the puzzles that are not technical. There is no sale of snake oil here at all. Prestige follows the exact opposite of snake oil. As I said before, the best private treatment is typically combined med and therapy treatment with extensive psychosocial interventions, which is by far the most evidence based treatment program.

What you really object to is that high quality treatment isn’t accessible in public settings because the system isn’t willing to pay for it. You can achieve a much happier and satisfied state in private practice, but you just set yourself up to failure by saying that I can’t do this in the public system and woe is me, and private treatment must be corrupt. This makes no sense to me.

Meh.
Seems like you got a bit triggered.
It IS unethical to make funding decisions based on the so-called 'prestige' of the intervention as opposed to what actually benefits the patients.
This is bona fide corruption. We all know that conflicts of interest run amok in medicine so there's nothing groundbreaking here. It is not meant as a personal comment to you, but it is accurate . it is not some 'hyptohetical' whatever that psychosocial interventions will make a huge difference in patient care, and it's certainly not me who implied they should be deprioritized because they reduce the 'prestige' of the field.

As for private practice, sure, there are some who try to be as evidence based as much as possible (I'm actually starting my own PP, thank you), but you couldn't tell with the proliferation by 'elite' PP offering 'nutraceuticals', blood tests of nutrient levels, EEG recordings or whatever . What's the evidence base for that? What's the science behind ayurveda?
What was the evidence base for Freudian psychoanalysis that was the treatment of choice for the rich and the 'worried well' before it got the death it deserved. Interestingly enough, Freud himself catered to that same population to survive. And we got stuck with that 'legacy'.

If there is shoddy science, it is happening because of the desperation to present something 'technical' and 'scientific' to sell a false product.

As for my personal situation, lol, you know little to nothing about it. I am very happy career wise. I know the system and found a way to deal with it that is personally viable for me, It does not mean we cannot point out problems in the system. Surely that logical fallacy cannot escape you?
Reading your post, it actually seems you think you have some kind of monopoly of the 'secret sauce' on how to be happy in your career. Very interesting. Private practice doesn't work for everyone, and that includes the "elite", "prestigious" kind. LOL.

Last edited:
It IS unethical to make funding decisions based on the so-called 'prestige' of the intervention as opposed to what actually benefits the patients.
This is bona fide corruption. We all know that conflicts of interest run amok in medicine so there's nothing groundbreaking here. It is not meant as a personal comment to you, but it is accurate . it is not some 'hyptohetical' whatever that psychosocial interventions will make a huge difference in patient care, and it's certainly not me who implied they should be deprioritized because they reduce the 'prestige' of the field.

This is not as straightforward. There's an entire field devoted to measuring what you mean by the "prestige of the intervention" and what "actually benefits the patients", what needs prioritization and what doesn't, which is highly technical in nature and deals with NICE criteria, QUALY, cost adjusted life year saved, etc blah blah. W.r.t. to psychiatry, a lot of what you claim is actually very controversial. Is community-based psychosocial intervention better/worse in terms of value-based payments vs. peer-based intervention? Is it *really* true that "prestige" interventions are less value-add than psychosocial interventions? There are papers after papers covering this topic.

And even when it's pretty obvious that something ISN'T "value add" based existing standalone criteria, often payers decide to prioritize them ANYWAY for many other reasons. For example, it's been shown that some new treatments for rare diseases, such as Vertex's Trikafta, at the pricing model they stipulate, exceed the NICE target for value per QUALY, but major payers around the world decide to typically still cover it. Essentially, innovation and "prestige" itself have value when they can benefit a small number of individuals, even though broadly it isn't necessarily a value add.

Again, you can simplistically chalk everything to "corruption", and think that you have all the answers, but at the end of the day there are a lot of people who are smarter than both of us who have thought a lot harder about a lot of these issues. My personal belief is that before one goes out to "speak out" one needs to investigate what has been said and do the actual work to formulate a plan.

• Dislike
Reactions: 2 users
Wow this thread started off so supportive validating and now its just weird. I guess that's just the problem with online forums. If y'all are in Utah sometime lets pick this up over red wine.

• Care
  • Haha
Reactions: 7 users
Right, if we just take bipolar disorder and schizophrenia (not even counting personality disorders, severe MDD, severe anxiety disorders, severe OCD, developmental disabilities/ASD, etc etc):

Number of US adults 2020: 331.4 million
NIMH 1 year prevalence of bipolar disorder: 2.8% adults (9.27 million) -> most studies put somewhere in the 2-3% range worldwide consistently
NIMH prevalence of schizophrenia: 0.25-0.64% (call it 0.5%, so 1.66 million)

So yeah, you could tie up all the psychiatrists in the united states just handling the people with those two illnesses if we could get them consistently in contact with the medical system.
Now add on SUD's, eating disorders, catatonia, MDD resulting in suicide attempts or chronic disability, etc and yes it's absolutely the case the numbers suggest we need more mental health treatment and not more people telling folks to pull themselves up by their bootstraps.

The other issue is that many people are not currently capable of the distress tolerance needed to face their issues. They need initial contact with the mental health care system to get to the point of being able to face their issues and not be functionally impaired. Ideally this work can be completed in a set period of time and not require lifelong work (cough psychoanalysis cough) and much of it could be done with individual and/or group psychotherapy without psychiatric involvement (potentially past the initial assessment), but it's extremely important work to be done.

This is not as straightforward. There's an entire field devoted to measuring what you mean by the "prestige of the intervention" and what "actually benefits the patients", what needs prioritization and what doesn't, which is highly technical in nature and deals with NICE criteria, QUALY, cost adjusted life year saved, etc blah blah. W.r.t. to psychiatry, a lot of what you claim is actually very controversial. Is community-based psychosocial intervention better/worse in terms of value-based payments vs. peer-based intervention? Is it *really* true that "prestige" interventions are less value-add than psychosocial interventions? There are papers after papers covering this topic.

And even when it's pretty obvious that something ISN'T "value add" based existing standalone criteria, often payers decide to prioritize them ANYWAY for many other reasons. For example, it's been shown that some new treatments for rare diseases, such as Vertex's Trikafta, at the pricing model they stipulate, exceed the NICE target for value per QUALY, but major payers around the world decide to typically still cover it. Essentially, innovation and "prestige" itself have value when they can benefit a small number of individuals, even though broadly it isn't necessarily a value add.

Again, you can simplistically chalk everything to "corruption", and think that you have all the answers, but at the end of the day there are a lot of people who are smarter than both of us who have thought a lot harder about a lot of these issues. My personal belief is that before one goes out to "speak out" one needs to investigate what has been said and do the actual work to formulate a plan.

A lot of backpeddling here.
It's pretty clear where you stand from the 5+ posts you made.

For example, I quote:

"Things that work are not prestigious and won't get paid. Diet and exercise work really well. Maybe you should get paid more as a dietician or personal trainer. Maybe Medicaid should pay $1000 a month for people to exercise. Good luck getting that passed in Congress. This is true throughout medicine. Do you want the specialty to be prestigious and well-paid, or do you want to universalize things that get paid by the government? You can't get both. So you should just split the specialty into two and let people pursue what they want for their career--which is exactly what is already happening."

So obviously, you think we should aim for the 'technical', 'exclusive' and scientific', even if we have evidence that other interventions work much better. Or 'split the specialty' as you say, so you can call yourself a 'psychiatrist' and not be confused with these "low-prestige" folk.

Frankly, so much of what you wrote here is completely up in the air, wild predictions and assumptions, that I'm befuddled as why you think others should be seeking more accuracy.

Fair enough, let's agree to disagree.

Last edited:
"Things that work are not prestigious and won't get paid. Diet and exercise work really well. Maybe you should get paid more as a dietician or personal trainer. Maybe Medicaid should pay $1000 a month for people to exercise. Good luck getting that passed in Congress. This is true throughout medicine. Do you want the specialty to be prestigious and well-paid, or do you want to universalize things that get paid by the government? You can't get both. So you should just split the specialty into two and let people pursue what they want for their career--which is exactly what is already happening."

So obviously, you think we should aim for the 'technical', 'exclusive' and scientific', even if we have evidence that other interventions work much better. Or 'split the specialty' as you say, so you can call yourself a 'psychiatrist' and not be confused with these "low-prestige" folk.

Frankly, so much of what you wrote here is completely up in the air, wild predictions and assumptions, that I'm befuddled as why you think others should be seeking more accuracy.

Fair enough, let's agree to disagree.

These are not contradictory. We don't KNOW if paying people $1000 a month using Medicaid funds would IN FACT instrumentally cause them to achieve a healthier lifestyle. There's literature on this type of intervention (contingency management), and it's very complicated. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. There is other literature around using "new meds", like GLP-1 agonists, and whether they are more or less cost-effective.

I'm asking questions that you can't answer with evidence because either the evidence doesn't exist or you don't know about it. Instead, you are compelling me to make concessions based on ideology and clinical impression. Furthermore, I believe these concessions would in the long run both harm the field and individual MDs.

Again, there are a set of foundational questions which I think the field still doesn't agree on, and the issues relating to "burnout" are very much related to these questions:
1. is psychiatry primarily about managing the consequences of social ill (broadly defined), or is it primarily about managing a diseased brain (with meds and other somatic treatments and psychotherapy)?
2. if it's not primarily about managing the consequences of social ill, who should be doing that work when competent people to do that work is nowhere to be found?
3. if it IS primarily about managing the consequences of social ill (at least in some niche practice areas), how much should psychiatrists get paid for doing that work?

My answers, which you don't like, are:
1. diseased brain - i.e. we mainly act on the individual level not the collective level
2. I can do it, if you pay me what I deserve
3. same as market for my time for doing anything else

Still, I'm pretty sure that this set of answers leads to the least amount of "burnout". But when I spell that out explicitly, nobody likes these answers, because they are seemingly "unkind", and makes you tempted to make the argument that the system is "corrupt" because you are ideologically convinced that many people can primarily only benefit from systemic-level interventions. MAYBE it's true. I don't know. I don't even know if these questions even have scientific answers. Still, institutional players REALLY exploit this tug at your heartstrings and underpay people, because they make this rather specious claim that because your patients are poorer, you should therefore get paid less for your time. This is really the mechanism of burnout. Prestige (rigor, evidence, technology, expertise, whatever you call it) is really our only defense against this to pursue 2 and 3. If one wants to solve burnout, one needs to know what one is worth and how to get it. You don't get there by making concessions when you ask institutions to pay for services that they think they can get for cheap. The point to split the field in half is exactly to further elevate public psychiatry to its own level of hyper-technical specialization so that the perception that it's not "prestigious" and really a "waste of time" because meds are a waste of time in 95% of these people (isn't that the whole point originally?) is proven false to yourself and others.

Last edited:
These are not contradictory. We don't KNOW if paying people $1000 a month using Medicaid funds would IN FACT instrumentally cause them to achieve a healthier lifestyle. There's literature on this type of intervention (contingency management), and it's very complicated. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. There is other literature around using "new meds", like GLP-1 agonists, and whether they are more or less cost-effective.

I'm asking questions that you can't answer with evidence because either the evidence doesn't exist or you don't know about it. Instead, you are compelling me to make concessions based on ideology and clinical impression.

Again, there are a set of foundational questions which I think the field still doesn't agree on, and the issues relating to "burnout" are very much related to these questions:
1. is psychiatry primarily about managing the consequences of social ill (broadly defined), or is it primarily about managing a diseased brain (with meds and other somatic treatments and psychotherapy)?
2. if it's not primarily about managing the consequences of social ill, who should be doing that work when competent people to do that work is nowhere to be found?
3. if it IS primarily about managing the consequences of social ill, how much should psychiatrists get paid for doing that work?

My answers, which you don't like, are:
1. diseased brain - i.e. we mainly act on the individual level not the collective level
2. I can do it, if you pay me what I deserve
3. same as market for my time for doing anything else

Still, I'm pretty sure that this set of answers lead to the least amount of "burnout". But when I spell that out explicitly, nobody likes these answers, because they are seemingly "unkind", and makes you tempt to make the argument that the system is "corrupt", because you are ideologically convinced that many people can primarily only benefit from systemic-level interventions. MAYBE it's true. I don't know. I don't even know if these questions even have scientific answers. Still, institutional players REALLY exploit this tug at your heartstrings and underpay people. This is really the mechanism of burnout. Prestige (rigor, evidence, technology, expertise, whatever you call it) is really our only defense against this to pursue 2 and 3. If one wants to solve burnout, one needs to know what one is worth and how to get it. You don't get there by making concessions when you ask institutions to pay for services that they think they can get for cheap.

I know what you're saying (we're on the same wavelength), but I do not find your approach appropriate or even fruitful for the field (on the long term).

I don't think you can separate the 'diseased brain' from social ills or from subjective, interpersonal connection. All of these are part of psychiatry and what makes the field worthwhile.
I think you're selling a pipe dream with your hyperfocus on 'somatic therapies' and treating the 'diseased brain'.

Can you please tell us what advances have we made in the last 30 years in 'somatic therapies'?
Our best medications are still by and large incidentally found. WHat critical drugs have we discovered since SSRis in the early 90s?
I don't know if you want to count TMS or 'stellate ganglion' bs.

This is all not to argue that we should ignore 'biological psychiatry'. There is a lot of important work to be done, particularly in prevention (probably will not make much money either').

As mentioned previously, the history of psychiatry in the 20th century has been about overselling 'technical' and 'exclusive', starting with psychoanalysis. All it does is ruin our reputation on the long term when the worms are out.

Maybe I can have that perspective as my identity is not so wed to psychiatry as others'. So 'prestige' isn't really sticking.
I like to do what I can in the field, gtfo and pursue other things in my time.
As for 'burnout', this is individual. For some, getting paid and being seen as 'prestigious' is most important. For others, it is to feel engaged, knowing that you are doing what's right while getting paid decently.

Last edited:
As mentioned previously, the history of psychiatry in the 20th century has been about overselling 'technical' and 'exclusive', starting with psychoanalysis. All it does is ruin our reputation on the long term when the worms are out.

This is ideological I think. You think psychiatry's reputation is worse now vs. in 1923? I'm very much an optimist in this regard.

I mean, just look at the match data in the last 10 years. I bet all the stuff you call "nonsense" will improve that even more. The stigma of psychiatric treatment has vastly *improved*, principally due to the focus on technical and exclusive medicalization. We can plausibly argue that psychiatry is now a real "lifestyle", and "technical" specialty instead of a specialty that primarily manages people with SMI with wraparound services. The philosophical thread you argue on is also not new. It's been as old as the reaction against Freud and then antipsychiatry, etc. The main problem has always been that this philosophy doesn't really elevate anything. It makes people burn out. It says what you do is useless and it'll never get anywhere UNTIL "society changes", which it never will. This seems fruitless to me.

Interesting thread and also interesting interactions.

Why aren't we insisting to our leadership that we pour money and research resources into psychosocial interventions at the same rate?
We do, but leadership won't care if it doesn't have tangible outcomes (which are be almost impossible to satisfactorily define) and lead to overall financial stability (ie, why should we poor OUR money into all of this when it may not even be helpful!?!).

Why don't we have a free, nationally-available computerized CBT program for anxiety, so every anxious patient has at least one quality intervention available with just an internet connection?
There are plenty of online resources and I go over worksheets from various websites and make recommendations for workbooks all the time. They exist and are easily available with a basic google search (therapistaid.com, cbtonline.com, CBT Toolbox, Beck institute resources, etc).

Why haven't we dumped money into the community mental health system?
We have, how much more should we be dumping?

Why haven't we brought back asylums for the most severely ill patients?
Because they are expensive, require significant manpower and resources in a system where we already have immense shortages, and many patients historically campaigned strongly against them in political arenas. I'd look into the history of the International Conference on Human Rights and Psychiatric Oppression and the political fallout in the 1970's and 80's.

Why haven't we built a system of unlocked crisis centers as an alternative to unhelpful emergency department visits for our BPD patients in crisis?
These already exist in many places and are state-level issues. I refer my ER patients to several local crisis centers regularly.

The public cries for "access to mental health," but I don't think they realize how disappointing that access will be, if they ever get it...
This is 100% accurate, but not only because of the reasons you'd think. Most patients who NEED that level of care have the most specific and unrealistic expectations which are not realistic in our highly litigious society. As you said, if we could buck liability our system could be far more accommodating to high-need patients. However, many of the patients I see who come through the ER who would legitimately benefit from such services either don't want them or only want them on their terms which are completely unrealistic. Sometimes because the patient is severe PD and expectations are ridiculous and counterproductive to actually getting better, and sometimes because they're so psychotic that what they think they need is completely discordant with basic self-care. Additionally, the ethical argument of autonomy into play. The patient call of "who are you to dictate my life?!" will come up which was one of several driving factors leading to deinstitutionalization in the 70's and 80's.

But I also dispute the idea that your salary as a system employed psychiatrist will go down because we should be doing the sensible and logical thing (giving more weight to psychosocial interventions).
Pay is based on production, and it's far more productive from most administrative metrics standpoint to manage meds and stabilize than create long-term change through use of significant resources without tangible outcomes. So how do you justify being paid equally or near as much for giving more weigh to psychosocial interventions and how will you make that happen other than just demanding to be paid $XYZ? Genuinely curious on your thoughts there.

This is a political issue. And spreading awareness and political mobilization is EXACTLY how you start to address it.
It is how you start it, but how far will that awareness and mobilization take you in terms of actually producing change?

But social interventions will not replace clozapine, lithium or the monthly haldol shot.
They will not replace starting an antipsychotic after a FEP hospitalization.
They will not replace almost any of the work that we already do.
There is probably more 'niche' work in psychiatry in SMI and acute psychiatry than in any other field of psychiatry. Ironically, much more so than the 'snake oil' that gets sold to the worried well by Columbia and Harvard grads.

The issue is more that our resources are unbalanced because there will always big pharma knocking on the door to sell its next product instead of sensibly using our resources to help patients connect with their families, have a roof over their heads and the daily organization they need to lead a dignified life. Interventions that are just as critical as the antipsychotics.
I do not see where that fear is coming from.
This is all very true.
I work with and supervise psychologists and social workers. I have a ton of respect for the expertise they bring.
Social workers know a lot more than I do about the resources in the community and how to properly refer and what is realistic and what is not.
Psychologists are excellent in the interpersonal department. They get more intensive supervision in therapy than most psychiatrists in residency.
But the idea that they can replace us in the acute setting is laughable, and it's not just about "prescribing medications".
The reality is that they do not get the same breadth and depth of exposure as we do, which is critical in establishing clinical acumen, getting the right differential, assessing dangerousness and making the right clinical decisions. All while being extremely efficient.
Now if they want to go through the hoops of medical school, then toil through a similar residency and take on legal liability for holding patients against their will and discharging them from the hospital, they are most welcome to.
As they say--we can train any monkey to do surgery, the important thing is knowing when not to operate. In the same way, I think we do have a special authority in the sense that we have a deeper knowledge and broader context than just about anybody else in the mental health game. I can say with some confidence when something is or is not a prescription drug problem. I have worked with many excellent social workers and therapists who have never set foot on an inpatient unit, who have never seen severe and incapacitating psychosis, and who have a hard time differentiating between a psychotic BPD patient vs. someone with a genuine primary psychotic disorder.

I would love to have the ability to divert a big chunk of my panel towards robust psychosocial interventions, and spend more of my time on the patients with truly medical issues.

So the argument seems to be that psychiatry's major role, at least with initial treatment, should be the MH version of the ER where we triage patients to decide who would actually benefit from meds/medical care vs who primarily needs psychosocial intervention which is fair and I believe accurate. But to Clausewitz's point, for those who we categorize as not really needing meds but needing psychosocial support, why should psychiatry continue to be involved in the social aspect when there are others just as qualified, if not more qualified, and requiring less pay/educational investment to perform this work? I hate the "practice at the top of your scope" argument, but in this situation I actually think it's valid.
To the bolded, why are you not referring people to psychosocial resources? Lack of availability? Unless you've got a long history within that system, I'd take some time to explore what resources are available and reach out to them.

As I've said before, you are definitely the Evil Fairy Godperson of this forum. You're not wrong, Walter. . .

I think a lot of your analysis is accurate as far as identifying why systems work the way they do. And then you centered it around "prestige", which, you will note, is not a thing anyone invoked until you entered the conversation, and which most people have responded to with puzzlement. You may consider if you are the source of the concern for prestige in this conversation v. it being a naturally occurring tangent from the thread.
I could be wrong, but I think "prestige" is being used in a very generalized way to represent a broad set of concepts which are somewhat loosely associated (expertise and recognition of expertise/individual influence on systems, financial earnings/power, self-image/esteem, etc). In that sense, prestige is relevant and is absolutely a major political/systemic force of implementing actual change and policies that goes beyond conceptualization of systems. If we're talking about "prestige" in terms of the more basic definition, then yea, it's a somewhat random tangent with minimal relevance to this conversation.

I think our experiences must legitimately differ. Having done OP intakes and now PHP/IOP intakes for the past 5 years, I cannot tell you how many comments I have received from parents (I'm all CAP) about how much better conceptualized my description of both the diagnoses themselves and the suspected etiology or perpetuating factors are compared to assessments their child has had in the past from NPs, PCPs, LCSWs, or psychologists. I have read well north of 100 psychologic evals during this time and it is so fleetingly rare they fully encapsulate the patient, which I think is largely attributable to them having to complete very time intensive tasks (the testing itself) and because the people doing this testing often do not follow-up with patients to determine how effective their assessments are (tough doing a job you get basically no feedback on your accuracy).

Eh, I look at child psych as an almost completely separate field from general psychiatry because of the prevalence and level of psychosocial aspects involved. The patient who would likely be mostly fine if they didn't have a completely toxic environment with constant stressors/abuse and adults/caregivers modeling awful coping skills/strategies is a lot more common in child psych than general adult psych, imo. I think a lot of what is being discussed in this thread is actually more relevant to child psych than general psych and focusing on future generations being functional adults would do a lot more good, but it's the same issues implementing change there as it is with adults.

Psychologist evals have been very hit or miss, but most I've worked with have actually been very good in terms of specific MH issues. Obviously they lack the medical education we have which does make a huge difference at times, but imo that's where we have the greatest job security.

I believe there are millions. I agree that behavioral health treatment shouldn't be the the default mechanism by which people achieve good lives. That said, where we differ is: I think a majority of people are really struggling, and Psychiatry is not the answer. It seems you think most are doing ok. We agree Psychiatry is not currently equipped to deal with what most people are needing.
Are they though? How are we defining struggling and what lens are we looking through? Maybe we're not struggling as much as we think but are setting much higher standards for what it means to be "okay" and what lifestyle we should expect which are unrealistic. Maybe in our modern world we've become so focused on feelings that we've lost perspective on other aspects of life. This is a whole other separate conversation which does have some relevance here, and I'm not trying to diminish what people are dealing with, but do want to point out that exploration of perspective is important, and I love when people on here talk about asking patients about what their expectations are.

Now add on SUD's, eating disorders, catatonia, MDD resulting in suicide attempts or chronic disability, etc and yes it's absolutely the case the numbers suggest we need more mental health treatment and not more people telling folks to pull themselves up by their bootstraps.

The other issue is that many people are not currently capable of the distress tolerance needed to face their issues. They need initial contact with the mental health care system to get to the point of being able to face their issues and not be functionally impaired. Ideally this work can be completed in a set period of time and not require lifelong work (cough psychoanalysis cough) and much of it could be done with individual and/or group psychotherapy without psychiatric involvement (potentially past the initial assessment), but it's extremely important work to be done.
100% agree with this and relates to the above. I partially attribute this to the growing societal idea that whatever someone feels should be accepted and that external causes of those feelings should be the things addressed and patients should be accommodated instead of the patient addressing internal mechanisms.

TL;DR- Lots of people feeling burnt out by the crappy system with reasonable but idealized expectations. Realism being brought into thread about burnout and decompression leading to B/l butthurt. Results: Entertaining but somewhat depressing thread. Conclusion, the system sucks and probably isn't getting better sooner and everybody recognizes it.

Last edited:
Are they though? How are we defining struggling and what lens are we looking through? Maybe we're not struggling as much as we think but are setting much higher standards for what it means to be "okay" and what lifestyle we should expect which are unrealistic. Maybe in our modern world we've become so focused on feelings that we've lost perspective on other aspects of life. This is a whole other separate conversation which does have some relevance here, and I'm not trying to diminish what people are dealing with, but do want to point out that exploration of perspective is important, and I love when people on here talk about asking patients about what their expectations are.
Totally, and that was part of the initial point - globally reduced distress tolerance further increases the expectations for what we will address. But I think the conclusion to that is we need to be able to offer a broader set of treatment options so that we are helping build capacity for tolerating physiologic levels of distress and not medicating them (versus concluding that these issues shouldn't 'need' support and then hoping people stop complaining about them).

I think the field of anxiety disorders has done the best job with this and has validated rating scales for concepts like "anxiety sensitivity" which capture this large group of people who perhaps don't have over-active amygdala's but just don't like feeling even a mild degree of anxiety. Their treatment approach is different as well.

I take different conclusions. The present situation is that we are asked to do more things then we can, with fewer tools then we need, and this creates dissatisfaction and moral injury. But I believe that there are pathways to a better future state that can come from a more clearly articulated role definition, standards of care, and wresting power from the hardcore biologists, amongst other things.

Wow this thread started off so supportive validating and now its just weird. I guess that's just the problem with online forums. If y'all are in Utah sometime lets pick this up over red wine.

It's not weird. If you want simply supportive and validating you should just talk your friends and colleagues. Increasingly, if you want the honest *truth* you really can't get it anywhere other than online anonymous forums.

I feel like we are feeding a troll at this point and/or beating a dead horse debating with one person. It appears most of us are on the same page.

I am definitely not a troll, and you are definitely not debating just me. Rightly or wrongly, the perspective I'm promulgating actually represents the mainstream of the field.

TL;DR- Lots of people feeling burnt out by the crappy system with reasonable but idealized expectations. Realism being brought into thread about burnout and decompression leading to B/l butthurt. Results: Entertaining but somewhat depressing thread. Conclusion, the system sucks and probably isn't getting better sooner and everybody recognizes it.
Thank you.

@Stagg737 we’re not talking here about replacing medications with psychosocial interventions. No one thinks that you should stop antipsychotics and send pts to group home. It’s just making the point that we do need more social resources for better care. This is really critical. It’s also pretty uncontroversial until someone decided that this will take “prestige “ from our field. I think it will make our work more fruitful and engaging. My point is that our training gives us insight beyond medications so I’m not worried the least about being replaced.
For those who only need psychosocial services they are most certainly not SMI patients and probably already get referred to social workers and therapists.

@dl2dp2 im realistic. Certainly not in the anti psychiatry camp. There is a lot of value to what we do, but I don’t think we could or should ever divorce the subjective, the biological and the social. I have been very involved in biological research in psychiatry. Any technical advancement will be extremely slow and incremental and I very much doubt it will come from psychiatry departments. Most likely it will be basic neuroscience making an unexpected discovery and technological advancements in probing the brain cause our tools now are simply not good enough. So you’re selling a pipe dream that is not the current reality of the field. You conveniently ignored what technological advancements we’ve made in the last 30 years. Better be a realist than oversell the field and end up with egg on face.

@Stagg737 we’re not talking here about replacing medications with psychosocial interventions. No one thinks that you should stop antipsychotics and send pts to group home. It’s just making the point that we do need more social resources for better care. This is really critical. It’s also pretty uncontroversial until someone decided that this will take “prestige “ from our field. I think it will make our work more fruitful and engaging. My point is that our training gives us insight beyond medications so I’m not worried the least about being replaced.
For those who only need psychosocial services they are most certainly not SMI patients and probably already get referred to social workers and therapists.
I agree, but like I said above I think the word "prestige" was being used as an (incorrectly) overgeneralized term to refer to multiple aspects (expertise, financial capabilities, political/bureaucratic leverage, etc) of what is required to get anything done in our system let alone a major overhaul like what will be necessary to provide enough social resources to actually provide a noticeable effect size. Our training does give us further insight, but medications are what make us more unique from other individuals who can do much if not all of the psychosocial work discussed for less money and with less training. Imo, the question I'd have for others in the thread is do you all feel psychiatry should be spending our time overseeing SW responsibilities and work throughout this process vs triaging and then chronically managing meds/medical problems and deferring social aspects to others?

Any technical advancement will be extremely slow and incremental and I very much doubt it will come from psychiatry departments.
I'd argue this is just as true for changes to social resources on a systemic level as well. It's more doable on a local level, but even making impactful change at a state level requires significant clout or the backing of a large hospital system, even then it can be nearly impossible.

I miss the beginning of this thread, maybe we need to pick this up over drinks at APA this year

I don’t think it’s an either/or proposition re: biological and psychological and social. Debates do tend to skew in that way though, plenty of social psychology research on that. An analogy from my perspective is that I have worked with and overseen therapists who know nothing about psychopharmacology and they are much less effective In several ways than someone who has familiarity with meds. I also see social interventions that dont take into account behavioral or other basic psychological principles that end up being ineffective or counterproductive. Same goes with a psychiatrist who doesn’t see or address or formulate much past the biological. They are going to be missing a lot and I have seen those folks out there.

Obviously, the psychiatrist or even myself as a psychologist doesn’t need to take the patient to their haircut appointment or fill out a job app, but we do need to understand how these activities play out regarding their overall treatment plan. How often I have seen the social workers or case managers interpret all difficulty with these activities as “they need a med change”. Having the people with the most expertise in mental illness too far removed from the day to day functioning of patients is not a good design and I see it all too often.

I don’t think it’s an either/or proposition re: biological and psychological and social. Debates do tend to skew in that way though, plenty of social psychology research on that. An analogy from my perspective is that I have worked with and overseen therapists who know nothing about psychopharmacology and they are much less effective In several ways than someone who has familiarity with meds. I also see social interventions that dont take into account behavioral or other basic psychological principles that end up being ineffective or counterproductive. Same goes with a psychiatrist who doesn’t see or address or formulate much past the biological. They are going to be missing a lot and I have seen those folks out there.

Obviously, the psychiatrist or even myself as a psychologist doesn’t need to take the patient to their haircut appointment or fill out a job app, but we do need to understand how these activities play out regarding their overall treatment plan. How often I have seen the social workers or case managers interpret all difficulty with these activities as “they need a med change”. Having the people with the most expertise in mental illness too far removed from the day to day functioning of patients is not a good design and I see it all too often.
Your point is well made and stands on its own, but if I can highlight a way it connects to the initial point - you are making the case for why effective help is pretty difficult, not because we need to be social workers but because we need to be able to formulate these diverse aspects of the presentation. But our workforce and tools frequently don't allow for such broad conceptualizations.

I have often thought of a solution which is to define behavioral health care as involving biological, psychological and social domains, and for each domain, we have a task of formulation, and a task for treatment. Within this framework, a psychiatrist is a bio psychosocial formulator, and focused on biological treatment. A psychologist is a psychosocial formulator, and focuses on psychological treatment. A social worker focuses on social formulation and social treatment. An LMHC/masters level therapist relies on the formulation of a PhD clinician to provide psychological treatment. A nurse practitioner provides biological treatment that is informed by the formulation of a psychiatrist. This is simple enough to make sense to bean counters and gives everyone a meaningful role that reflects their level of training.

BIOLOGICALPSYCHOLOGICALSOCIAL
FORMULATION/ASSESSMENTPsychiatristPsychiatrist, PsychologistPsychiatrist, Psychologist,
Social worker
TREATMENT/IMPLEMENTATIONPsychiatrist, Psych NPMasters-level therapistSocial worker

The burnout is a societal enactment, introjected into us from the patients who are burnt out and hopeless from being ill themselves.