Mixed signals (but still a rejection...)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Apollyon

Screw the GST
Lifetime Donor
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, today, two pieces of mail...one from Palmetto Richland, and one from the Brooklyn Hospital Center. USC is light and thin (duh!), but Brooklyn is heavier.

The Brooklyn envelope is hand-addressed, but metered. Hmm... I think that there MIGHT be something else in there, and got a laugh thinking of a place sending a rejection with a brochure! I open it, and I know immediately it's the shove, but the letter is actually hand-signed by the PD...when I see the initials of the secretary (who signed the letter).

Does this mean I got thisclose to an interview (just the stinkin' interview), and got the axe? Hmm... Otherwise, there's an office person who deserves a nice bonus (or at least a referral to hand clinic!)! Last year, Brooklyn sent email rejects.

Oh, and the USC letter WAS truly signed by the PD. A funny part was the line that said (it's not copyrighted, so I can reprint it), "If we can be of any further assistance, please let us know."

Yeah, interview me! Duh!

Members don't see this ad.

I know it's tough, but have you gotten interviews anywhere? You're dealing with an applicant pool that is mainly US seniors, a lot of whom are AOA (or will be) graduates. I know I felt stupid getting some rejections, after going through each level of training (college, med school) without being told "no" before.

mike

Yeah, St. John's (Detroit), Mt. Sinai-NY, SUNY-Buffalo. What's interesting is how, in person, many EM docs say how AOA means nothing in EM, or, in a cockeyed sort of way, is a detractor, because a lot of people who get it aren't brilliant, but hardcore grinds, and they are the same in the ED, and don't "cut to the chase" (ie, aren't time-efficient).

And, if you look at the stats, for non-primary care specialties, EM has one of the higher levels of FMG, Canadian, physician, and independent applicants who match (ie, one of the lower percentage US Senior matches) - about 83 or 85% (if I recall) of the spots will go to seniors - that leaves 1 in 6 being not one.

I'm reminded of Ralphie in "A Christmas Story", when he talks about being a conoisseur of soap in the mouth. I've become like that with rejections. It doesn't bother me too much now. That's why I found this sequence a little funny~~

Members don't see this ad :)
Please, for the love of Pete, can we crush once and for all this deluded notion that "a lot of [EM applicants] are AOA (or will be)"? What a joke! Yes, there are definitely a few out there - there are probably a few AOA grads applying for PM&R, as well - but there certainly are not "a lot".

Take out the Denvers, the Cincinnatis, the UCLAs, and you have bushels full of mediocre applicants - like myself! I am a primo example of mediocrity in medicine, and I have about a dozen interview invitations to date. I've been to a handful of interviews so far on the East Coast, and, after speaking to the other applicants, none of them struck me as especially accomplished or brilliant. We were all middle-of-the-roaders with marginal credentials, or so it seemed, since I was not able to read their ERAS apps.

Or am I just the lucky guy who won the lottery (over and over again) of interview invites? Methinks it's the noncompetitive applicant pool that I'm swimming in.

the HORNET

I would have to DEFINITELY agree, Hornet. I would say that about 5-10% of the entire applicant pool for EM is probably AOA. But just because someone is AOA doesn't mean they can pick their residency of choice.

Everyone must remember that EM program directors aren't idiots. Everyone seems to get caught into thinking that they are just numbers and extracurricular activities. People please read the SAEM website and learn. EM directors look for well-rounded, intelligent, dedicated and out-going people who work hard and play hard. If you happen to be AOA with all of these characteristics, then good for you... you'll get your choice.

But as for the majority of us, we aren't AOA and we are the middle of the road. I'm middle of the road (average GPA, average boards, excellent Dean's and LORs) and I got 25+ interviews. Just be yourself and have confidence in that. If you're true to yourself and to your values, then you'll match at your perfect place.

However, for FMGs, it's just a much tougher road all around... there's no getting around that.

Ok, here's a dumb question for a kid who just got into med school but who may be interested in EM.

What is an AOA?

Thanks...

Well, "Everybody Poops", it seems you've learned the first lesson of medical school, here's the second... AOA is an academic honor society, every school has a board (or bored) that picks the top group of students, I'm not sure how many at other schools, 14 of 72 at my school, that pretty much corresponds to the highest GPA's of the class. BUT, because they are chosen at the end of the 2nd and 3rd years, the primary determinant is Pre-clinical grades...a statistic notoriously unimportant to the majority of EM programs. In Summary, AOA is a feather in the cap of anyone who achieves it, but don't hang your hat on it alone and don't shed a tear if you don't make it.

PS-I've now had several interviews, and I've met several future EM Interns and for the most part ya'll are some quality people and I'm proud to associate with you. (sniff-sniff)

"...its so nice to have a big, strong SPUD around the house..." Mrs. Potato Head, Toy Story 2