missed board registration

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

donnie70

Reaction score
So I checked the ABIM website a few months ago and saw nothing about the registration dates. As with the IM boards, I figured I would just get an email when registration opened. Sunday I find out the registration deadline has passed. I'm freaking out. Will I be able to get a job without having taken the boards this November? I've been studying all year and was planning to take pulm this November and CC next November at the beginning of my job. Even if someone will hire me, that's a year of studying I'll have to basically re-do next year. I'm so mad this happened and can't believe I did this to myself. Anyone hear of this happening and know if you can get hired? I passed my IM boards no problem the first time around during my first year of fellowship.

Members don't see this ad.

You’ll be fine. You’re still board eligible and even places that require certification will give you a few years to get certified.

Members don't see this ad :)
So I checked the ABIM website a few months ago and saw nothing about the registration dates. As with the IM boards, I figured I would just get an email when registration opened. Sunday I find out the registration deadline has passed. I'm freaking out. Will I be able to get a job without having taken the boards this November? I've been studying all year and was planning to take pulm this November and CC next November at the beginning of my job. Even if someone will hire me, that's a year of studying I'll have to basically re-do next year. I'm so mad this happened and can't believe I did this to myself. Anyone hear of this happening and know if you can get hired? I passed my IM boards no problem the first time around during my first year of fellowship.

Donnie70,
I can't tell you how happy I am to stumble across your post. I did that EXACT SAME THING. I have been studying throughout all of fellowship, never thinking that I wouldn't get an alert/prompt to register for the certification exam. Last Sunday (just like you) I found out that I missed the deadline. Distraught is an absolute understatement for how I feel. I've never been in a situation like this before. I've always done well on exams and have never missed a deadline in my life. Unfortunately, I've talked with everyone possible at ABIM, and they won't budge. They are absolutely firm on this deadline. Like you, I'm extremely embarrassed and very down. I'm hoping with time I'll just be able to accept this as a mistake. I'm trying to tell myself that in the long run (20-30 year career), no one (including myself) will ever notice if I passed an exam in 2018 or 2019. But it definitely still hurts... A LOT. A question that I do have is whether we can take the pulmonary and CCM boards together in 2019, or do we have to wait to take the CCM boards in 2020? It looks like the policy says we will need to wait for 2020, which is terribly upsetting as well. Do you think there's any way around this? Is there another CCM board exam (ie. surgical/anesthesia/EM critical care) that we could sit for in 2019, if we are not able to take the CCM exam in 2019? In any case, I'm so happy to hear that it isn't just me! Thank you so much for your post!

Agree with above. Just take it next year.

Hell, I waited to take mine because my employer would pay for the test.