Midwestern University Post-bac question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks so much for the response! Did you interview over the phone or did you have to go to their campus? Thanks.

I interviewed by phone

Members don't see this ad.

I interviewed today over the phone and Dr. Bell said there's gonna be committee meeting this week.

I interviewed too and he said the same thing.

Members don't see this ad :)
That's good to hear. I called them today and after the little scuffle with my application, I finally got it cleared up and it's probably too late by now, but I want to know SOMETHING. But, thanks for the update.

I got in today!!..... Its been a bumpy road but things are finally looking up.... So I graduated undergrad in 06, now I'm in the BMS program at RFUMS. When I applied to RFUMS they told me the program was an "academic enchancement" program perfect for predental students like myself. Well, they lied!... In this program you basically do the first year of med school w/ their med school class (Which makes it reaaaaallly hard to get a high GPA)... It's not an academic enhancement program, it just a linkage to their med school... Well anyways, I moved to chicago, I'm doing ok (3.2 GPA, good for med school) in the program, but they didn't release grades for my classes till, March!! As a result, I didn't get a single interview and now i'll be graduating with a nothing more than a 3.2 GPA(not strong out of a BMS program, but probably good enough to get me into their med school, ironic huh?)... As a result of all the stress of my situation, I lost my girlfriend (of 7 years), my mom hasn't spoken with me in over a month, and basically I've felt hopeless. But i got in today and though to some this may not seem like a major accomplishment, I finally feel like I will be in the right place to attain my goal of dentistry... Thanks to the people on this forum and their guidance I feel like there is some hope... Thank you! If I can help anyone let me know....

I am accepted to this program today too.
Hopefully I can get good grades on the upper science classes and get into d-school this time.
I think the curriculum helps me a lot regarding my low science GPA. Concerns are, I need to take 15 credits of those challenging classes with other health profession program students in 10 weeks though.
I don't think it's late that bad. Apply and let me know if you have any question.:thumbup:

I am familiar with this program. PM me if you have questions.

I am applying a little late for the MWU program. Quick question for all of you whom have already been through the application process.

How do you submit official MCAT scores to MWU? Through the AAMC MCAT web page I don't see them as a selection for submitting scores. Do I need to do the "create and print" option?

I applied to the program about a month ago and just printed the MCAT report from the aamc website and mailed it along with my application. They had no problem with that.

weird, I applied to CCOM for the osteopathic medicine program, rejected and was offered to transfer my application to the MBS for no extra fees or what not. I really applied as an after-thought, not giviing much thought into the possibility of acceptance. Anwyays I got accepted, and have to confirm my answer by april 21st.
Weird, I didnt have to go through a phone interview or anything. Anyways, I also applied to UNT TCOM MS program and they dont give out their acceptances/rejections until april 21st. Anyways, comparing this MBS program to UNT TCOM program, the Midwestern one is 2 years- thesis based while UNT is one year non thesis based. What other distinguishable factors are there for the Midwestern MBS program in regards to medical school as a goal in future? Currently residing in Houston, TX and wanted to stay around here. Need more information before I make this big leap of faith

AZCOM just started their MA biomedical sciences program, which is one year like TCOM's program. I applied to that one after a bit of a scuffle with my application, but I haven't heard anything in about 6 weeks.

I'm starting to believe that the administration got confused with my application and it's still in limbo, despite the calls I've been making. If you all have heard something by now, then I guess it's not looking good for me.

That's very interesting about CCOM doing that for you. When I was rejected from TCOM DO last year, they just sent the generic email suggesting their SMP. It wasn't too difficult to apply but having it done for you sounds pretty sweet :laugh:

For Arizona Campus you can find out your status by calling the admissions office if you want to know... They're not calling right now because they are short handed....

No, that's the problem: I called them a few times already and they said that they've received everything and it got sorted out. I just have a bad feeling that only one or two people know what's going on with my app and it got lost in the bureaucracy. Anyhow, I doubt I'll nag them again anytime soon, but if it comes down to April 21st, I'll have to call them yet again.

Members don't see this ad :)
akwizeguy-I am in the same boat as you. They transfered over my application. All I had to do was sign this form and fax it in. I didn't have a phone interview either. Maybe it's because our CCOM application is so thorough.
I was accepted on March 3rd had to pay my deposit by like March 15th, but UNT won't notify us until middle of April. I got an interview invite like 2 days after the acceptance to LECOM-E. I went ahead and accepted the spot at Midwestern Downers Grove because I did not want to be out of a spot for next year. I had my interview last week and the admissions committee is suppose to be meeting today and mailing out letters on Friday for LECOM-E. I have another interview at KCUMB on the 14th. These were my only 2 interviews.
Atleast you should hear back from UNT before you have to pay the $750 deposit. Goodluck in your decision!

For anyone who is a predent and applied, I have a question. When I took the DAT I requested that scores be sent to Midwestern Dental School, would I have to resend them for the MA program or do you think they have them?

For anyone who is a predent and applied, I have a question. When I took the DAT I requested that scores be sent to Midwestern Dental School, would I have to resend them for the MA program or do you think they have them?

I am pretty positive that you should send your DAT score to MA program address. The website says all credentials should be sent that address. You gotta do it as soon as possible.

I am pretty positive that you should send your DAT score to MA program address. The website says all credentials should be sent that address. You gotta do it as soon as possible.

Ok thanks, I just sent the score report. Hope it makes it there soon. :scared:

Well, in case anyone is wondering, I contacted the secretary for the dean of admissions and I was indeed correct that they still haven't completed my application. It seems that although she prepares the applications for review, the admissions people are separate in their processing of materials.

Thus, I am still 'missing' the same materials I sent them 3 weeks ago that the admissions people have confirmed to receive.

I'd like to thank dentistin2011 for providing me with the number to call (which is 623 572 3620 ) because if I hadn't cleared it up, I'd basically still be dead in the water now.

She said the committee meeting is also this coming week so more people might be getting interviews soon if you're curious. Just sit tight and hopefully it'll work out.

yeh that was the same situation for me.
I think there was a miscommunication between admissions office and biomedical science office.
Everyone who sent their application credentials would better check your status with the number above. She is a program director's secretary.
I hope there's gonna no delay for you guys.

Hey guys, thanks for that number! I'll be calling them soon.

I just had my phone interview (like 2 minutes ago) and I was pretty much caught off guard since I haven't heard anything since I called last week and here it was. He said if it was a bad time but there was no way I could ask him to call back later, so after a bit of a panic, I composed myself and started the interview.

Well, Dr. Bell spoke with me and it was pretty simple. He asked the basic questions, but he pointed out my research and asked if I was interested in doing research someday. I told him my story and he seemed satisfied (I hope :scared:) but when it got to me asking questions, I kind of stumbled.

For some reason, I kept bringing up other programs I had applied to and I think that confused him a little bit (like LECOMs), but I think it was because I was trying to find out a difference between the two. It got better though when I asked specifically about how the curriculum down there would be like. I'll write specifically what he mentioned.

The good news is this MA program finally secured the link program a lot of you might be curious about. To gain automatic acceptance, you need:

3.0 Undergrad
3.5 in the MA
26 MCAT
LoR from the MA program
Completed Interview at AZCOM
24 hours completed

This is completed as soon as February, because the school is on the quarter system.

For the automatic interview, all of the requirements are the same except MA GPA can be 3.0 and MCAT 24.

Note this is at AZCOM only.

So, what's going to happen when we actually get there? The MA students will be with the PA and other non-doctorate health professionals, so some classes will be taught by medical student faculty, but the workload will be "60-70%" to that of a medical student, according to Dr. Bell. This could work out pretty well, as I see a chance for students to ease into the groove of medical school before they have to grind it out.

Anatomy will have dissections from cats to cadaver, but the cadaver will be already be dissected by the medical students and we'll just get to look. He says it's due to time constraints since the Anatomy class isn't like 7 credit hours like it is at TCOM, so I can understand that. I was happy to get cadaver exposure.

Physiology is like PBL with PA students in that you're presented with cases and have to solve them in a small group setting. I might be oversimplifying things because I'm sure there is more work to it.

Histology has a lab component with mostly microscope slides.

That's about all the specifics. I thought I'd share this with everyone who may be interviewing soon because to be honest, I had not reviewed my application materials in preparation nor had I looked on SDN or their website to refresh what their courses were, so it was jarring, but I think I got through fine.

If I could change anything about what just happened, it would be less mention of other schools because I think it just made the conversation awkward. Other than that (and not exactly being ready), the interview was fine, so I think anyone remotely interested or even reading SDN in the first place will be fine.

The interview made me more interested about the program and I'm hoping that it goes well. I've been meaning to make an MDapps to get some comments about my chances, but I think if you get a phone interview quickly after your complete application, things are looking good. Note that this is rolling admissions, so don't wait to send them your materials and check up with them to make sure they have your stuff.

Hey flushot, thanks for sharing all that info. It's pretty weird they called you out of the blue, instead of setting up an interview time. Oh well, I'm sure you did fine.

Did Dr. Bell mention if the linkage was only for Midwestern's DO school? What about the other schools, like dental?

Does anyone know what day they start the MA program?

Hey flushot, thanks for sharing all that info. It's pretty weird they called you out of the blue, instead of setting up an interview time. Oh well, I'm sure you did fine.

Did Dr. Bell mention if the linkage was only for Midwestern's DO school? What about the other schools, like dental?

I am finishing up my first year here so I can answer any questions...

The automatic linkage is really awesome and it's great to know that I have an automatic place for Fall 09. I couldnt apply for Fall 08 since I had never taken the mcat and was missing a pre-req..

SO yeah, the automatic placement is for F09.

The classes really are not that bad at all. Physio is with PA's and Biochem is with Pharmacy. All you have to do is make a schedule for yourself and don't fall behind. Classes are on a quarter system which can be un-nerving if you aren't used to it. Feel free to PM me or post if you have specific questions....

Yeah, I was very surprised too. There was no email or phone call confirming that my app was complete, so he basically told me both on the spot.

And the linkage is only for DO, as far as I know. I didn't ask about other programs; I'm sure you can find it easily. The phone number is still up there in my post.

Thanks for info SBK. I'm glad that the linkage is working out ok, because I'm still confused as ever with TCOM's linkage deal.

So, would you say that you have plenty of time to study and to enjoy the city? From what I got, Dr. Bell made it seem that there was much more time to prepare and study in the MA program but I can't imagine there being that more much time. It isn't med school but I doubt we'll be able to just cake walk by.

Anyhow, I'm eager to hear their decision by next week. Ironically, that'll be when TCOM gets back to everyone too :eek:

Yeah, I was very surprised too. There was no email or phone call confirming that my app was complete, so he basically told me both on the spot.

And the linkage is only for DO, as far as I know. I didn't ask about other programs; I'm sure you can find it easily. The phone number is still up there in my post.

Thanks for info SBK. I'm glad that the linkage is working out ok, because I'm still confused as ever with TCOM's linkage deal.

So, would you say that you have plenty of time to study and to enjoy the city? From what I got, Dr. Bell made it seem that there was much more time to prepare and study in the MA program but I can't imagine there being that more much time. It isn't med school but I doubt we'll be able to just cake walk by.

Anyhow, I'm eager to hear their decision by next week. Ironically, that'll be when TCOM gets back to everyone too :eek:

There is more than enough time to have a social life. Hell, I pulled straight A's so far and I have a lax schedule. First quarter I attended every class and studied everyday and still made time to go work out and go out at nights. Just don't fall behind and let things build up! Thats the biggest key for me.

Awesome, that sounds nice. Did you form any study groups to help with the tests or was it mostly independent study? At any rate, I'm glad that it's not like you had to rip out your hair to finish the program with high marks.

Given that, I'm looking forward to it, if it ends up being where I go.

For those of you that have been accepted to their program, would you mind sharing your stats? I am in the process of applying, but wanted to know how competitive it is and if it is even worth applying to. I am trying to increase my GPA to be competitive for dental school, but I dont know if this program is for me. Thanks so any help, or input

I was accepted to the Downers Grove MBS program. I have a 3.61 overall 3.52 science with a 8p 8v 9b MCAT. I retook the MCAT in Jan, so I was not complete until late Feb.

I am finishing up my first year here so I can answer any questions...

The automatic linkage is really awesome and it's great to know that I have an automatic place for Fall 09. I couldnt apply for Fall 08 since I had never taken the mcat and was missing a pre-req..

SO yeah, the automatic placement is for F09.

The classes really are not that bad at all. Physio is with PA's and Biochem is with Pharmacy. All you have to do is make a schedule for yourself and don't fall behind. Classes are on a quarter system which can be un-nerving if you aren't used to it. Feel free to PM me or post if you have specific questions....

SBK,

I just applied to the F08 MA-BioSci program. If I want to subsequently start AZCOM DO school F09 (with no "gap year") should I also apply to the DO program this June through AACOM? Or does Midwestern have a separate application/admissions process for their F08-MA students? <--I hope that all made sense :)

2nd Question: How are the MCAT review electives at Midwestern? Did you take them yourself?

SBK,

I just applied to the F08 MA-BioSci program. If I want to subsequently start AZCOM DO school F09 (with no "gap year") should I also apply to the DO program this June through AACOM? Or does Midwestern have a separate application/admissions process for their F08-MA students? <--I hope that all made sense :)

2nd Question: How are the MCAT review electives at Midwestern? Did you take them yourself?

To be honest, what you said makes sense, but I would call admissions office to make sure. I would assume the applications are seperate.

I never took the mcat course or any course for that matter. I just studied by myself in the lounge:( All worked out in the end:) Send me a pm and I can share stats and whatnot.

Does anyone know if they replace retake grades for admissions purposes like their DO school?

Does anyone know if they replace retake grades for admissions purposes like their DO school?

I don't think they do. You might want to call and make sure. The number is further upthread.

-)Do they inform you of their decision by mail, e-mail, or phone?

-)Also, do they interview everyone or only the applicants they're interested in. I've heard different things so just wanted some clarification. Thanks!:)

According to Dr. Bell, they will inform you by email and by snail mail.

Also, I have no idea about the interviews. I did ask when they usually do interviews and they say before committee meetings to discuss who gets the acceptance. They just had one apparently or I think it will be this week, so the interviews should be rolling in for the next wave of decisions.

Don't worry if you don't get an interview yet, since there is still time and they want to keep slots open for future applications. That's what the waitlist is for, but odds are I would want an acceptance or rejection, like most people. Much easier to make decisions rather than hanging on a rope that could or could not break.

Well, I think I made it into the program (MA in Glendale, AZ) when I called them yesterday. Looks like this is where I'll be in Fall :)

So, for those of you in the program, how did you handle living arrangements? As for those who were just accepted, what plans do you have? I really have no idea what to do yet, but it wouldn't hurt to start now.

The on-campus housing is full and usually they only take like 5 people off the waitlist (for housing)... Apartment right around Midwestern are pretty expensive for cost of living in glendale... So Im looking into renting a house probably three bedroom because it ends up being much cheaper than the other options... I just need to find two roommates now... If anyone is interested...

Ehhh, that sounds interesting. If we could talk via IM or even phone, I'd be glad to work something out with you. I don't know much about the living scene down there, so we'll see.

In the AZCOM thread in the Pre-osteo forum, they've mentioned a few 1 bedroom 'efficiencies' starting around $700, which is a bit higher than I hoped. I won't be bringing a car, so I hope that the place you pick is close to campus and within a reasonable distance to, I dunno, the grocery store or something.

But yeah, I'm definitely interested. Let me know what you think.

school said there are over 80 people in the waitlist already.
I am looking for 2 or 3-bed apartment in the walking distance from the school. I found Arrowhead would be a good option and talked to an assistant saying that I could put my name on the list in June.

I am also considering getting a place near campus. I havent made my final decision between MWU and PCOM but I'm still down to get a roomate or two for an apartment off campus if I attend. I will know for sure in the next couple of weeks if I will be attending MWU or not.

Dentistin2011 as well as anyone else let me know if you are interested. :)

school said there are over 80 people in the waitlist already.
I am looking for 2 or 3-bed apartment in the walking distance from the school. I found Arrowhead would be a good option and talked to an assistant saying that I could put my name on the list in June.

Did you call the school directly for help or just looked around the area and called their offices directly?

Yeah, I'm interested in setting something up with anyone. I'll definitely be going there for fall, so shoot me a PM. I'll start doing my own research this weekend.

EDIT - Ok, I read your other thread, so that answered my question. It seems like that Arrowhead apts seems good but I'll have to look into that too. Ehhhh, you and I could get into a 3 bedroom if you're interested or something. I'll PM you my contact info...

I still haven't heard from MWU! My app was complete at the beginning of April. Should I take this as a bad sign?

I'm getting scared reading that everyone is looking for housing already...I hope I don't get stuck in some weird apartments.

I still haven't heard from MWU! My app was complete at the beginning of April. Should I take this as a bad sign?

I'm getting scared reading that everyone is looking for housing already...I hope I don't get stuck in some weird apartments.

Did they interview you yet? If they haven't, I wouldn't think it's a bad sign.

I got a letter saying that I was on the waitlist after the interview.

I talked to a housing office assistant and he said there were 80 people in the waitlist. Most importantly, he recommended looking for off-campus housing.

Did you call the school directly for help or just looked around the area and called their offices directly?

Yeah, I'm interested in setting something up with anyone. I'll definitely be going there for fall, so shoot me a PM. I'll start doing my own research this weekend.

EDIT - Ok, I read your other thread, so that answered my question. It seems like that Arrowhead apts seems good but I'll have to look into that too. Ehhhh, you and I could get into a 3 bedroom if you're interested or something. I'll PM you my contact info...

Did they interview you yet? If they haven't, I wouldn't think it's a bad sign.

I got a letter saying that I was on the waitlist after the interview.

No interview yet. :(

I'll call and try not to sound too desperate. haha

Did they give you a reason for being on the waitlist? Was it your stats or a poor interview?

I asked Dr Bell and he said there were 3 possible reasons being on the waitlist.
1. low stats > average of applicants is 3.4ish of GPA and 20 of DAT (don't know about MCAT score)

2. poor interview

3. it's if an applicant has a good chance to get in med/dental school (if he/she has had some interviews or is on the waitlist of them)

No interview yet. :(

I'll call and try not to sound too desperate. haha

Did they give you a reason for being on the waitlist? Was it your stats or a poor interview?

It appears that most of us in the post-bac will have to look off-campus. The med students probably snatched up the spots quickly after they matched.

Also, Rose, I wouldn't worry too much about waiting, but if you're curious you can always call Dr. Bell's secretary at the number which was posted a few posts back.