Microbiology or Anatomy?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

artmaster

Reaction score
Optometry students, would you say taking a microbiology or an anatomy course during undergrad has helped you more in optometry school? I know both of these courses are recommended, but I have some friends in med school that told me I would be very thankful if I took anatomy in undergrad because learning every muscle can be a struggle. So I'm thinking since anatomy involves a lot of memorization, that it may be more useful....but then again, microbiology is also a recommended/required course for many optometry schools and it's not as stressed for med school.

If any of you took either course during undergrad, I know both would be very beneficial, but which course would you say has made a bigger impact in terms of easing the load when studying in optometry school. If you didn't take either, which would you have wished to have taken at undergrad?

(The optometry school I want to go to, both courses are recommended, not mandatory, so I'm trying to decide taking one before I graduate. Any advice would be appreciated!)

Members don't see this ad.

Looking back taking a general anatomy/physiology course helped a lot in Optometry school. Microbiology was interesting in undergrad but it was not necessary for Optometry school. My undergrad A/P class was 8 credits but significantly prepared me for ocular anatomy.

Reactions: 1 users
Looking back taking a general anatomy/physiology course helped a lot in Optometry school. Microbiology was interesting in undergrad but it was not necessary for Optometry school. My undergrad A/P class was 8 credits but significantly prepared me for ocular anatomy.
Thank for your response! That's kinda what I thought...what optometry school did/are you go(ing) to?
I only have one semester of my senior year in undergrad left and was thinking of committing to SUNY or Salus. If anyone from those schools could leave their input, it would be much appreciated!