Microbiology in Opto School

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hurricaneuro

SUNY c/o 2014
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm going into my last semester of undergraduate and I am only taking two required classes to finish my degree (Psychobiology and Neuroscience). So, since this is the first time I have open space to take something that I can choose I am really leaning towards taking some non-science classes just to do something different for a change before I leave.

Microbiology is also offered but it is not part of my degree and SUNY (where I will be going) strongly suggests it, but does not require it. Now, it's not that I am not interested in science (obviously I am!) and if I don't take micro I want to buy a book and brush up on it over the summer...but as far as what you have seen as optometry students, is it crucial that I gain a grasp of it before hand or will just taking it as it comes in opto school be sufficient?

(I have already finished all pre-med requirements and anatomy, physiology, and biochemistry)

Thanks a lot!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm going into my last semester of undergraduate and I am only taking two required classes to finish my degree (Psychobiology and Neuroscience). So, since this is the first time I have open space to take something that I can choose I am really leaning towards taking some non-science classes just to do something different for a change before I leave.

Microbiology is also offered but it is not part of my degree and SUNY (where I will be going) strongly suggests it, but does not require it. Now, it's not that I am not interested in science (obviously I am!) and if I don't take micro I want to buy a book and brush up on it over the summer...but as far as what you have seen as optometry students, is it crucial that I gain a grasp of it before hand or will just taking it as it comes in opto school be sufficient?

(I have already finished all pre-med requirements and anatomy, physiology, and biochemistry)

Thanks a lot!

If you have taken it already, it will obviously be easier the second time around, but honestly, a lot of things emphasized in undergrad courses are barely even mentioned in Opto school in regards to like Biochem etc.

If you feel like torturing yourself, take it. Otherwise, you can take it as it comes in Opto School and honestly, you'll be fine.

By the way, don't waste your last summer of freedom reading Microbiology text :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Definitely take a fun class and enjoy your last semester of undergrad! I think it would be a fair assessment to say that achirum and I are polar opposites when it comes to our study habits (he actually has them :p), so if we both suggest it, it must be a good sign!

I'm going to assume you are a Biology major, and if not some kind of science major (obviously). I am currently taking Micro, after receiving my B.A. in Biology last may. In all honesty, while there is some new stuff, the vast majority of it was already covered in my undergraduate classes... specifically - Gen Bio, Microcellular Biology, Cell Structure and Function, and Developmental Biology. While I know you haven't taken these exact courses, I am going to assume that you have had plenty of other upper level Bio classes for your major. If this is the case, you probably are not missing much by not taking Micro.
Take something fun. Last semester of the best 4 (or 5) years of your life, might as well be something new, entertaining, or easy.

At the same time, while I would also recommend taking something fun, I am finding my microbiology class lots of fun and quite easy (because yes, much of the material is a review). So it could be helpful for optometry school to some degree, while likely being easy and interesting... that is, if it sounds like something of interest to you, of course. :)

I really enjoyed my micro class in college, so I'd recommend that you take it. Do you have to take it to pass micro (or even do well) in optometry school? Probably not. The micro class that I had at opt. school was a very narrowed down version of the micro class that I took in undergrad, as we only studied organisms that affect the eye. Take the micro course only if you're interested in it. And...as much as I enjoyed micro, I definitely would not study a micro book over the summer, so I second that!

I can't wait for the day to take a few classes that I get to choose freely. I'm on pace to have all my pre-reqs completed in 2.5-3 yrs. If I don't get into opto school, my senior year is gonna be SO slack!

Last edited:
I know that every school is different but for me micro has been by far the easiest and possibly to most fun class i have taken. I you decide to take it, take it with a lab because that is the most interesting part.