MHA admissions Fall '14

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just starting the application process now and was wondering if you guys had any suggestions on where I should apply with my respective numbers.

GPA: 3.32 Health Science major from school in a large city
GRE: 145V 151Q, waiting on Writing; may take again
Work experience: interned with AMA Foundation for one semester and a pharmaceutical company for a summer; very involved around campus.

I was leaning toward Oh. State, Iowa, Xavier, Rush, S. Carolina. Thanks ahead of time!

Members don't see this ad.

Any idea when one can expect a decision from the Mailman school of Public Health (Columbia University)..? I applied in October..

Any idea when one can expect a decision from the Mailman school of Public Health (Columbia University)..? I applied in October..
I believe they said we would receive a decision in February. Did you apply for the MPH-HPM or MHA program?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I believe they said we would receive a decision in February. Did you apply for the MPH-HPM or MHA program?

I have appled for the MHA program..am eagerly waiting for a decision to decide between yale and columbia..

P.s. : Sorry for the late reply.

Was accepted to Trinity, interviewing with UAB and VCU in January. Really happy with all three so far and getting excited! (Location was a huge factor in deciding where to apply for me, hence the no-Michigan/Minnesota/JHU)

Did you interview on campus with Trinity? I have an interview in February with them, so excited!

Just got invited for the onsite visit day at UMich as well! Now just have to figure out which one of the offered days will work with my schedule...

Good luck to everyone interviewing at Michigan!

I received an offer of admission from Yale's Health Care Management Program this morning. Getting super excited for grad school in the fall!

Reactions: 1 user
I received an offer from Yale last week as well, but I just found out their open house is on 4/4, which is the same day as Hopkin's... o_O

Anyone hear back from Cornell? I was told we would have a decision by the 13th.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if Hopkins has sent out all of their invitations for interview? Hopkins was definitely a reach school for me but I'm still hopeful lol. I've been accepted to GW and have an interview at VCU on the 31st which is a relief but I still have my eyes on JHU

Hey everyone - I'm a current MHA student at UNC and would be happy to answer any questions about that program. I was going through this process last year and remember how much it helped to chat with people on here. Anyway, let me know and good luck with all your apps!

I have a doubt. Do universities grant merit based scholarships to international students? I have interviewed with Tulane & GWU so far, waiting to hear back from them. Dr Leonard Friedman at GWU even said that I'm a strong contender to any top MHA program in the US because of my GPS. Would they then consider granting me some kind of tuition aid?

Also, any suggestion as to any additional universities I could apply to now? Since I haven't received any acceptance letter so far, I want to apply to some additional universities just in case. Please give me suggestions! I hope it's not too late :(

I've applied so far to Columbia, Tulane, GWU, University of Pittsburgh & University of Illinois- Chicago.

GPA- 3.82
GRE- 152 (Q) 158 (V)
One year experience of working in a dental hospital.
Strong SOP.

Help please! :(

Is the MHA program at University of Oklahoma & Texas A&M Health Centre any good?

How's the job/fellowship outlook?

Since I am only in my first year I can only speak to what I've heard from the second years, but I think the outlook is pretty good. Generally half of the class goes the fellowship route and the other half goes into consulting or some other job opportunity. Of those I know that applied for fellowships, many have received offers for top programs around the country, California, Minnesota, Florida, Georgia, Texas, and of course here in the research triangle, among many others. We have a really great network of UNC alum that have done fellowships and are now working in those hospitals. They come to back to UNC to speak with us and coordinate recruitment for the fellowships, so that is definitely a big plus if that's the route you are looking to take.

The same is true for consulting firms and other opportunities. I would say the alumni network is extremely strong. Personally, I have been connected with alumni in all different types of organizations to help me talk through internship opportunities and to just learn more about what they do. Hope that helps!

So, I'm beginning to fill out my SOPHAS application right now. I'm in a unique situation. I attended medical school (MD) for 2 years and finished my basic sciences, but then realized that medicine was not for me and decided that I didn't want to be a clinician because of the hugely stressful lifestyle. Then, not sure of what I wanted to do and not wanting to waste a year, I completed MBA in one year and got my degree last July. Now I'm looking to apply to the MHA program at University of Minnesota, UNC, UAB, VCU, Rush, St. Louis, GWU, Missouri, JHU, and Cornell.

Here are my stats:
Undergraduate GPA: 3.76
Graduate MD GPA: 2.73
Graduate MBA GPA: 3.66
GRE: 156 (QR) 155 (VR) 4.0 (AW)
Work experience: None that is relevant

What do you think my chances are of getting into any of the schools that I listed above? I realize that I should have filled out the SOPHAS and applied to these schools much earlier, but I'm still hoping that at least one of these schools will accept me. What do you guys think of my chances? I would appreciate any help/advice.

Hi all,

Congrats to all those who are interviewing and to all who have been accepted! It seems like schools are actively working on applications.

I had a question based on an observation I've made. Many of you have applied to the "big name" programs (ex. JHU, Yale, Columbia, Cornell, GWU, etc) even though US News does not rank any of these programs in the top ten. I haven't seen many folks apply to UMich, UMN, or UNC. Is there a reason for this or is it just selection bias on this thread? Anyone know what rankings are based on anyways?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Hi all,

Congrats to all those who are interviewing and to all who have been accepted! It seems like schools are actively working on applications.

I had a question based on an observation I've made. Many of you have applied to the "big name" programs (ex. JHU, Yale, Columbia, Cornell, GWU, etc) even though US News does not rank any of these programs in the top ten. I haven't seen many folks apply to UMich, UMN, or UNC. Is there a reason for this or is it just selection bias on this thread? Anyone know what rankings are based on anyways?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Hm, not sure why UNC and UMich are left out of your "big name" programs, for I would have included them in that group. If you're thinking in terms of international recognition, then that may make more sense.

I honestly didn't think that less people on this board are applying to the three that you mentioned just from reading this thread, but maybeI'm not paying much attention. Perhaps people are geared towards more "academic-focused" institutions such as Yale or Columbia, and others want the full college experience with big name sports teams like those at UNC and UMich. I based my selection off of job placement, atmosphere, and location, which lead me to UNC and JHU.

Which rankings are you looking at? That might helps us figure out what they based their criteria off of.

Hm, not sure why UNC and UMich are left out of your "big name" programs, for I would have included them in that group. If you're thinking in terms of international recognition, then that may make more sense.

Thanks to you and JQH for your responses. Name recognition/prestige like that of Yale etc is what I was referring to -- sorry if that was unclear. As per the rankings, I was referring to US News posted by JQH.

What do people in consulting and provider-side management organizations (ex. hospitals, clinics, not insurance) and whatnot think of MPH programs in Healthcare Administration (ex. Yale) vs. MHA programs? I can't seem to get a straight answer from anybody.

Hello everyone! I've been reading these threads for a while now but just got around to signing in for an account. I just heard that I will be Skype interviewing with Tulane next week and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions or tips! They would be very much appreciated, I'm pretty nervous haha!

Thanks so much and good luck to everyone!

To KennedyAM- My app went out with the first SOPHAS mailing (10/17, I believe)

Re: applying to schools with higher name prestige and lower ranking rather than schools with higher ranking but less name prestige, here's my answer:

An MHA or an MPH in healthcare management is a professional degree, and in order to succeed professionally you need various personal capital: knowledge, hard skills, soft skills, the right experience, a broad and effective network, and a resume that can somehow pique the interest of hiring managers, among other things. U.S. news rankings can't possibly be the ultimate factor in deciding what the best school is for everyone. We all enter grad school with different experiences, skill sets, and needs that the rankings simply don't account for. All the programs I applied to I like for different reasons, certainly some more so than others, and as I move forward in the process my opinion changes.

So Yale will always have the Yale name. It's a validation. It says something special about you in every professional circle, whether it is health, business, journalism, or theatre. Then again, what are the big names in healthcare: Johns Hopkins? UCSF? Harvard? UNC? Names are beyond recognition, they are networks, they're an edge and edges are always important.

So Columbia and Yale and Johns Hopkins may not be in the top 5 but they have other attractors that set them apart, like 2 years w/a paid year residency for Hopkins, and many of your classes will be at the School of Management at Yale. They're also in the Northeast, which is an awesome place to live as a young adult and they have more connections to job opportunities in those respective areas.

U.S. News may have ranked University of Michigan as the #1 healthcare management school, but it just isn't for me. You honestly couldn't pay me to live there. Furthermore I'm not going to spend 2 years of my late twenties there when I could be somewhere else with a program that's just as good, and most likely fits my needs better. A #1 school doesn't guarantee you your dream job- You do that. It starts with a good education, but it's so much more than that. Work your connections, develop awesome relationships with your professors, land that internship that will get your foot in the door of that company you want to be working for when you graduate. Of course you still want to get into the best school possible, but I look at the rankings as more fluid than absolute.

So when I created my list of schools I took all of those things into consideration to create a collection of schools that represented the diversity of strong programs out there. If I knew I really didn't want to go to a school (regardless of their ranking) I didn't apply. I've lived places that really made me unhappy, so even though I know a program is amazing, if I'm not happy I won't do as well academically and professionally.

I suppose it just comes down to knowing myself, my limits, and my personal and academic ideal situations. I also know that my ideals may not be someone else's, so I would hope that in the best of all possible worlds, we would be able to self select into the programs that best reflect our individualities. And I seriously hope that isn't a pipe dream haha.

Hello everyone! I've been reading these threads for a while now but just got around to signing in for an account. I just heard that I will be Skype interviewing with Tulane next week and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions or tips! They would be very much appreciated, I'm pretty nervous haha!

Thanks so much and good luck to everyone!
I interviewed with Tulane last month. It was fantastic. Just be prepared to talk about your experiences, why you want an MHA and how you're a good fit for Tulane. Overall, just relax :D

Heading to UMich for an interview on January 27th and off to UNC for their interview, on Feb. 10th! Any of you guys headed there on the same dates?

I didn't have a 2nd interview. My interviewer said a decision would be put out by the 13th. Did you hear back?

Had a 2nd interview recently. I'll be hearing back in the next week or so. Initially I was told the 13th too so have hope, friend! They will probably get back to you any day now.

Had a 2nd interview recently. I'll be hearing back in the next week or so. Initially I was told the 13th too so have hope, friend! They will probably get back to you any day now.
Sounds good. Thanks for the reassurance :D

Just got accepted to GWU! My first acceptance letter :D

Reactions: 2 users

Re: applying to schools with higher name prestige and lower ranking rather than schools with higher ranking but less name prestige, here's my answer:

An MHA or an MPH in healthcare management is a professional degree, and in order to succeed professionally you need various personal capital: knowledge, hard skills, soft skills, the right experience, a broad and effective network, and a resume that can somehow pique the interest of hiring managers, among other things. U.S. news rankings can't possibly be the ultimate factor in deciding what the best school is for everyone. We all enter grad school with different experiences, skill sets, and needs that the rankings simply don't account for. All the programs I applied to I like for different reasons, certainly some more so than others, and as I move forward in the process my opinion changes.

So Yale will always have the Yale name. It's a validation. It says something special about you in every professional circle, whether it is health, business, journalism, or theatre. Then again, what are the big names in healthcare: Johns Hopkins? UCSF? Harvard? UNC? Names are beyond recognition, they are networks, they're an edge and edges are always important.

So Columbia and Yale and Johns Hopkins may not be in the top 5 but they have other attractors that set them apart, like 2 years w/a paid year residency for Hopkins, and many of your classes will be at the School of Management at Yale. They're also in the Northeast, which is an awesome place to live as a young adult and they have more connections to job opportunities in those respective areas.

U.S. News may have ranked University of Michigan as the #1 healthcare management school, but it just isn't for me. You honestly couldn't pay me to live there. Furthermore I'm not going to spend 2 years of my late twenties there when I could be somewhere else with a program that's just as good, and most likely fits my needs better. A #1 school doesn't guarantee you your dream job- You do that. It starts with a good education, but it's so much more than that. Work your connections, develop awesome relationships with your professors, land that internship that will get your foot in the door of that company you want to be working for when you graduate. Of course you still want to get into the best school possible, but I look at the rankings as more fluid than absolute.

So when I created my list of schools I took all of those things into consideration to create a collection of schools that represented the diversity of strong programs out there. If I knew I really didn't want to go to a school (regardless of their ranking) I didn't apply. I've lived places that really made me unhappy, so even though I know a program is amazing, if I'm not happy I won't do as well academically and professionally.

I suppose it just comes down to knowing myself, my limits, and my personal and academic ideal situations. I also know that my ideals may not be someone else's, so I would hope that in the best of all possible worlds, we would be able to self select into the programs that best reflect our individualities. And I seriously hope that isn't a pipe dream haha.

Emma1600, thank you very much for taking the time to respond. I think I've taken a more pigeonhole approach to my applications and ignored a variety of other characteristics that impact graduate education. I applied to Yale on a whim -- just to see what would happen -- and I also received admission earlier this week into its MPH in HCM. I've thought much more about what I want since then. I saw that you also were admitted there -- are you set on it or looking elsewhere still?

Accepted to Cornell :) !

I emailed to follow up with them a few days before the committee met and ended up getting my admissions decision in response on the 13th. For everyone still waiting to hear back from them, I was told the decisions will officially be sent out within the next couple weeks.

Reactions: 1 users
Accepted to Yale and GWU! Gahhhh! :soexcited:

Reactions: 7 users
Good luck to everyone interviewing at Michigan!

I received an offer of admission from Yale's Health Care Management Program this morning. Getting super excited for grad school in the fall!

Congratulations..I am in as well..Looks like a very very good program (I've attended their information session) with plenty of career opportunities in and around NYC.

Very well put..For those of us looking at a career more focused on healthcare management (as opposed to more technical areas such as biostat or epi) the affiliated school of business is very important. Yale SOM and CBS (for mailmann) are awesome schools to take a chunk of your classes in and that WILL mean a lot when you show up for intership opportunities where you will have to compete with MHA's, MPH and MBA candidates. Relationships developed here would matter if one decides to pursue an Executive MBA later in one's career. I have given up the idea of an MBA after receiving my acceptance from Yale even though Duke Fuqua is an awesome MBA..The Collaboration between public health and School of management is more focused and broader in scope in this side (MHA, HCM (MPH)) vs a MBA with a Healthcare concentration.

Emma, will you be attending the open house in April (Yale)? or are you waiting on other colleges to respond before narrowing down on your program.

Accepted to Cornell :) !

I emailed to follow up with them a few days before the committee met and ended up getting my admissions decision in response on the 13th. For everyone still waiting to hear back from them, I was told the decisions will officially be sent out within the next couple weeks.

Congrats! That's great news! When you say "in response", did they tell you informally in an email? Sorry, I'm just getting anxious :nailbiting: You think you're headed to Cornell ultimately?

Hey, is it too late to begin applying to programs?

JHU deadline is Feb. 2 and Cornell's is April 15th, I believe. If you have all your scores/transcripts/recs set to go, I say go for it :)

JHU deadline is Feb. 2 and Cornell's is April 15th, I believe. If you have all your scores/transcripts/recs set to go, I say go for it :)

Thanks. I think I'll apply to Cornell and Xavier. I'm not sure about my chances though. I have a 3.46 b.s. in biochemistry, cell and molecular biology and a couple of business classes. Worked in research labs at major hospitals. 161 quant and 156 verbal GRE. Hopefully I'm not too late!