MGMA Pulmonary & Critical Care compensation and salary

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thelungguy

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was looking for MGMA data regarding PCCM salary and compensation for the Southwest region (California) for new grads, 1 - 2 years post fellowship. Would appreciate any guidance

Members don't see this ad.

I was looking for MGMA data regarding PCCM salary and compensation for the Southwest region (California) for new grads, 1 - 2 years post fellowship. Would appreciate any guidance

Compensation is going to vary heavily on where exactly in California, amount of work/how busy you are going to be, and on how much Pulm vs CCM you will be doing.

I doubt someone will be able to provide you with the exact MGMA numbers for the southwest on here. You have a few options:

#1 - Ask recruiters to share this information with you - many have access to the MGMA data.

#2 - Email MGMA. There is a discounted membership-lite option, and if you buy this - they can give you 2-3 data points for free.

#3 - Buy the real data. Maybe you can purchase it in collaboration with a few of your colleagues since it is quite expensive.

#4 - Live with the freely available data. The AMGA National medians are available for free on the Cejka website

Private practice , full time PCCM starting is around 350 on the coasts . A friend of mine from residency, got early 300s with Kaiser in SoCal straight out of fellowship but his RVU potential/ benefits were extremely good .
I would assume it is higher every where else

Members don't see this ad :)
Numbers probably vary based on the location, I would assume they are higher in less desirable parts. Probably much higher in Chico than in LA, for example. I can only speak for CCM alone since that is what I pay attention to - I have seen both private and hospital employed pure CCM jobs offering 400s in certain parts of California. The base is lower if tied to wRVU incentives but most CCM gigs I saw were paying per shift/hour.

I reached out to the MGMA and it was hard finding somebody to talk to that knew enough about what I would be buying. It seemed that it gets pretty expensive pretty quickly.

I am trying to find something concrete to negotiate my contract. Coming out of fellowship, i have no idea how much i ought to be making. It’s a position in so-cal, largely pulm consult and ICU with census 20+.

Any advise regarding how to go about it?

I reached out to the MGMA and it was hard finding somebody to talk to that knew enough about what I would be buying. It seemed that it gets pretty expensive pretty quickly.

I am trying to find something concrete to negotiate my contract. Coming out of fellowship, i have no idea how much i ought to be making. It’s a position in so-cal, largely pulm consult and ICU with census 20+.

Yup, the MGMA data is expensive. I think the best way to go about it is by talking to people about the contract/job offer you have - co-fellows, fellowship faculty etc. It is hard to tell you how to negotiate without knowing what you have been offered and the details of the gig. Maybe you don't want to share too much publicly, which I can understand but no one is going to be able to give you good advice without that. Consider sending a PM to one of the more frequent PCCM posters (@tartesos @jdh71).

Take a look at contract diagnostics, endorsed by WCI.

What part of California though.

The Bay Area and SoCal valley are "NOT" the "southwest region" for purposes of salary and negotiations.

Look. The sky is not the limit here. It is currrntly ILLEGAL to pay you too much based on some interesting federal laws which make some sense applied to the privateers but not really so much to employee folks especially those working ICUs (because uhhh, where else are being paid to "refer" someone that sick to?) Anyway. It is what it and they won't pay you more than "market". I suggest buying the MGMA data for the whole PCCM national market. Request their tables and data. And compare. If they want give their data or tables be cautious.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I am a pathologist in a rural hospital (It is super nice area too)
We have been looking for a Pulm/CC forever. I know it will be sweet gig well above MGMA.
CEO and management are really great to work with too.

If anyone interested I think there may be a way to email / private message me and I can give you info.