Mexican/Japanese= URM?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ADominGu3z

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, i suppose this isnt just a question about apply to med schools, but rather being considered URM. This fall i plan on applying to multiple UC in California to finish my undergrad and i was wondering if im considered URM. Im half Mexican and half Japanese, but speak only english. I would say I identify with them both equally with the exception that I live in a Hispanic dominantly cultured area. Would i be considered URM if i put both? for the sake of consistency, would i be questioned if i look as Asian as i do with a Hispanic last name?

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone, i suppose this isnt just a question about apply to med schools, but rather being considered URM. This fall i plan on applying to multiple UC in California to finish my undergrad and i was wondering if im considered URM. Im half Mexican and half Japanese, but speak only english. I would say I identify with them both equally with the exception that I live in a Hispanic dominantly cultured area. Would i be considered URM if i put both? for the sake of consistency, would i be questioned if i look as Asian as i do with a Hispanic last name?
If you live in a Hispanic community, it would help your case to get involved in some nonmedical community service that aids the poor in your area now, as well as something similar when you relocate to your new campus in a year. What a bummer that your language roots weren't passed on as well, as Spanish fluency would be another plus in California.

yea i know. sad part is my grandparents on both sides are both fluent in their native languages and some how only English was passed on to me. I think it was primarily due to social pressures since i am fourth generation Japanese here in the US and for Mexican i have no idea

Members don't see this ad :)
Your two backgrounds will cancel out and there will be no net advantage. :)

that's what i figured lol, but i would say im more mexican than these people who are 1/8 or 1/16

that's what i figured lol, but i would say im more mexican than these people who are 1/8 or 1/16

Lol. Actually I think you'll be an interesting applicant. That's a cool mixture of backgrounds: a spicy personality and innate calculus skills. ;)

assuming that Asians are good at calculus? shame on you lol, but ill take the spicy as a compliment

its hard to say for my Mexican heritage because for all i know, where i am currently living, we could have been here since the beginning. not only that, but my dad has no idea who his dad is, but only that he is mexican

Your two backgrounds will cancel out and there will be no net advantage. :)

This is ridiculous. Racial and ethnic identity is not a zero-sum, additive property.

OP, you can check multiple boxes on AMCAS.

Also, it will lend some credibility to being "URM" if you are involved with your local community.