Meharry Medical College OR Touro college of osteopathic MD in NY? Help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Galsenbdoc

Reaction score
Hi amazing docs and future docs!
Would like to get your advice on school decisions as I am a reapplicant and have been out of school for 3+ years.
I got accepted into Touro a few months ago in the harlem campus. I was also waitlisted at Meharry until this past friday! Meharry offers a MD program as you all know which starts in the less than 2 weeks.
I am thorn between the DO vs MD route. Initially I wanted to go to Meharry due to lower cost of living (tuition is about the same for both school) and also didn’t want to worry about residency limitations.
As much as I want to save money and ensure a succesful career, part of me wants to be in New york to experience something new while getting a good education and hopefully a residency in OBGYN. I have always lived/studied in smaller cities (tulsa, fayetteville, salt lake city..) and thought NY would open other doors but not sure if it’s the wisest thing to do. Would love to get your advice on this as I have to decide fairly soon. Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

First off, congratulations on your acceptances!

If tuition and COL are the same, I'd go to Meharry as it's an MD program. If you have friends/family that live in New York that you need to provide and support, then I would say to stay in New York so you can be with them. If you don't have any connections to New York besides wanting to live there, I'd suggest going to Meharry and eventually moving to New York after medical school. You can work hard while attending Meharry and land a residency in New York after you graduate. Plus as many others on this forum with more experience than myself will chime in, MD keeps doors open for you if you decide to pursue more competitive specialties than going DO or to a Caribbean school (MD > DO >>> Caribbean).

My advice: Go MD (Meharry) if you don't have any special/required needs to be in New York. You can always visit and start having an experience during and after residency.

Good luck with everything!

Reactions: 1 user
MD, especially since Touro-NY has major problems right now. Going DO would also close a lot of doors for you in the world of OB-GYN. Easy decision. Best of luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
My boyfriend went to Tour-NY and all he has to say is it's basically Hollywood Upstairs Medical College. Go Meharry 100%

Reactions: 1 users
MD>DO always if you have that luxury ALWAYS choose MD over DO unless there is some extenuating circumstance like an in-state vs OOS financial reason or location bc of family or something but generally MD schools are less expensive than DO anyway. No matter what, MD will always open more doors for you. Plus, Touro NY is not that great of a DO school anyway they have some issues there. This is an easy decision. Congrats on having some options!

MD>DO always if you have that luxury ALWAYS choose MD over DO unless there is some extenuating circumstance like an in-state vs OOS financial reason or location bc of family or something but generally MD schools are less expensive than DO anyway. No matter what, MD will always open more doors for you. Plus, Touro NY is not that great of a DO school anyway they have some issues there. This is an easy decision. Congrats on having some options!
what issues does Touro NY have right now?

All of them.

No, really. If you can think of an issue, they have that issue.

I don’t necessarily agree that an applicant should universally take MD over DO based on principle (you really think I’d give up my TCOM seat for CUSM? Funny), but Meharry is a great school and Touro-NY...isn’t. This should be pretty cut-and-dry imo.

Always go US MD over DO

This is coming from a DO... It will keep/open more doors for you. You won't have to learn OMT which you will probably never use. You won't have to take two sets of board exams. And won't be screened out from residency interviews because you're not an MD.

Hi amazing docs and future docs!
Would like to get your advice on school decisions as I am a reapplicant and have been out of school for 3+ years.
I got accepted into Touro a few months ago in the harlem campus. I was also waitlisted at Meharry until this past friday! Meharry offers a MD program as you all know which starts in the less than 2 weeks.
I am thorn between the DO vs MD route. Initially I wanted to go to Meharry due to lower cost of living (tuition is about the same for both school) and also didn’t want to worry about residency limitations.
As much as I want to save money and ensure a succesful career, part of me wants to be in New york to experience something new while getting a good education and hopefully a residency in OBGYN. I have always lived/studied in smaller cities (tulsa, fayetteville, salt lake city..) and thought NY would open other doors but not sure if it’s the wisest thing to do. Would love to get your advice on this as I have to decide fairly soon. Thank you
Meharry. And it's not merely because MD will open more doors for you. I can't recommend Touro-NY due to poor COMLEX II pass rates and the unethical behavior in how they dealt with an overbooking issue two years ago.