Reapply MD in 2019 OR Apply DO in 2018?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pied Piper CEO

5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Apply DO >>>>>>>>>>lose 1 years worth of physician salary to take the MCAT a THIRD time.

You can always boost ECs and apply MD as well, but I would not (if I were you) take a year off.

Reactions: 2 users
I always tell people to retake a bad MCAT if they have the GPA to get into MD schools. However, your GPA is low, as well. So you will have to go with applying to DO schools. I don't advise taking the MCAT anymore, because you likely have plateaud. I am surprised you were interviewed by any MD schools, but it is what it is. Maybe it was because of your masters GPA - what is your masters in?

You can retake the MCAT while applying to both MD and DO schools and see what happens. You will likely not improve very much on your MCAT, so having the DO schools on there will be a safe bet.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Apply DO >>>>>>>>>>lose 1 years worth of physician salary to take the MCAT a THIRD time.

You can always boost ECs and apply MD as well, but I would not (if I were you) take a year off.

I always tell people to retake a bad MCAT if they have the GPA to get into MD schools. However, your GPA is low, as well. So you will have to go with applying to DO schools. I don't advise taking the MCAT anymore, because you likely have plateaud. I am surprised you were interviewed by any MD schools, but it is what it is. Maybe it was because of your masters GPA - what is your masters in?

You can retake the MCAT while applying to both MD and DO schools and see what happens. You will likely not improve very much on your MCAT, so having the DO schools on there will be a safe bet.

Thanks for the honest advice. My masters is in Infectious Diseases and Microbiology with heavy emphasis on virology, immunology, and microbiology. I look like a knob, but I actually just got an interview at Toledo for next week about 20 minutes after posting this. I'll have to wait and see what happens, but I'm definitely keeping all of this in the back of my mind.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for the honest advice. My masters is in Infectious Diseases and Microbiology with heavy emphasis on virology, immunology, and microbiology. I look like a knob, but I actually just got an interview at Toledo for next week about 20 minutes after posting this. I'll have to wait and see what happens, but I'm definitely keeping all of this in the back of my mind.

Good luck!

If **** hits the fan and you end up DO... let me tell you my story. I am at a DO school myself because despite having a very high MCAT and outstanding ECs including research at a top hospital, I had an ultra trash GPA (surprised I got into DO school, actually). Similar to you, I worked in clinical research at an academic ACGME program and maintained my connections. I am assuming you can maintain your connections and play the game throughout school and get to where you want to go. That should be a glimmer of hope. Going DO isn't ever ideal, but people in your position who have connections at ACGME programs can easily get research during summer between M1-M2 when your classmates are struggling to hear anything back, and you can play the game and match competitively. Straight up tell your past PI in the specialty you want that you are going to want to come back for research during medical school. It will go a long way for you if you go DO.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users