medical toxicology as a career

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Trisomy13

ultra
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi. i searched but couldn't find anything so...

i'm taking a course in the fall (MSIV then) about medical toxicology critical care and i am curious as to how competitive this fellowship is, coming out of an EM residency. Also, what type of career is medical toxicology? I can't imagine a busy patient census, so does a toxicologist find him/herself working in the ED or ICU most of the time? or is it more of a research field? i can't find much about this specialized field, but i would like to know more about it... any info is appreciated. thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Most toxicologists also pull shifts as emergency physicians (this is the most commong pathway to a tox fellowship, but some people choose PM&R or peds before their fellowship).

For the most part, toxicologists mainly do research, educate residents (as most are part of academic medical centers), staff poison control centers, and many places run inpatient units. Inpatient units can either be with admission priviledges (rare) or as a consult service. I've heard of some programs who may have 15-20 patients/day for their census, which can be quite busy.

More info can be found at the ACMT website or SAEM's website.