Medical Terminology as Spoken by the Layperson...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Scrubbs said:
Had a patient the other day giving me a surgical hx...

Pt: "I had a vaginal microwavezation for bleeding."
Me: "A what?"
Pt: "Yeah... that's what they told me it was... a microwavezation for my fibroids."

Translation = Uterine Embolization. At least she new what it was for... never would've figured it out otherwise! :laugh:

In that same vein, I had a patient tell me she was thinking about having an "endometrial deflation," i.e. endometrial ablation :D

Members don't see this ad.

I never hear anything original, but then I got three new to me this week....

1. pt taking rx for "caesars"
2. i cut my leg; do I need an attendance shot?
3. pt wrote "i am on a low castrol diet" {what foods don't you eat :D }

Members don't see this ad :)
Just picked up the body of a woman whose daughter told us that one of her health problems was "a really bad case of ass-biteys". Took me a second (of looking at the body) to realize she meant ascites.

I bet you didn't know that the word "fever" can be used as a verb. It can as in "I done been fevering." It's even better in its full context of "I done been fevering and my boss won't let me go home. So I come here for you to make my boss let me go home." Consequently I put on my EP cape and flew right over to her place of business. I walked in and found her boss and stated in a loud and sure voice "Sir, I am DocB from the Hospital X Emergency Room. I hereby comandeer your labor force and demand that you send my patient home. I furthurmore decree that you raise her wages and address her as "Your Highness." My job being done there I was of like a flash to smite the Evil Overlord of HMO because my other patient had come to the ER so I could get his outpatient MRI of the knee approved. It's a tough job being the only person in the universe who can deliver health care but it's the lonely burden of the EP. Da da da daaaaa!!!!

Dude is a bystander at a MVA

Critical driver removed...

EBONICS DUDE: "Yep, they removed him and started doin' UPS on him."..

I was reading a dictated clinic note the other day. The note said the patient was put on 25 mg of scrotal lacked tongue. I think he meant to say spironolactone...but I was interested in the scrotal tongue to be honest.

"Pain" can also be used as a verb. Example: "This toof been painin' me all week. Now it done swolled up on me."

Praetorian said:
Funniest name I've ever encountered: a 16 y/o black asthmatic named Orangejello (he and his family pronounced it "Uh-rahn-juh-low"). I damn near pissed myself laughing. Apparently his mother decided to name him using a system she'd heard about American Indians using- name the child after the first moving non-human object you see. She seemed like a sweet woman, so I can only pray has drugs to blame for this, because otherwise it should qualify as child abuse to name your child after any food product that "jiggles".

I've heard this before except there was also a twin named Lemonjello (pronounced "Lee-mon-juh-low").

jetproppilot said:
Dude is a bystander at a MVA

Critical driver removed...

EBONICS DUDE: "Yep, they removed him and started doin' UPS on him."..

Is that what you call a code-brown?

Not mine... but a pt with stab wound to buttocks in Reno.

Medical student: So what happened?

pt: you know.... Friday night.

I kinda like "swellage" - you know, its what happens to your ankles when you're in decompensated CHF.

Not really funny I know, but consider it came from a pt's daughter who stated she is .... an RN STUDENT!

I personally had a patient-small black girl- named Terror (could have been a wayward spelling of Tara?)

Members don't see this ad :)
Uhh I had orangejello and lemonjello No joke.. then I brought this up somewhere I interviewed at and apparently it is semi-common.. They had an "Orangejello" before.. I wonder if it was the same patient but it was in 2 different parts of the country!

Walking by the room of a bad COPDer who was being lectured by a family member about quitting smoking. "You better wise up. Denial is not just a river in China." Can't argue with that.

-"obeastity"
-"sudomonas"
-"ventricalator dependent"

and probably more to come in the future :thumbup:

-sontimeter (zoantimeter, with a nasal thing in the first syllable)

i once saw a schizophrenic guy who wrote his chief complaint as "seeing voices, hearing faces"

EctopicFetus said:
Uhh I had orangejello and lemonjello No joke.. then I brought this up somewhere I interviewed at and apparently it is semi-common.. They had an "Orangejello" before.. I wonder if it was the same patient but it was in 2 different parts of the country!

I remember at some point when I was a relatively young kid there was something in the news about twins whose parents named them Orangejello and Lemonjello (pronounced approximately "or-ahn-jullo" etc.). So perhaps a lot of other people heard about this and decided they loved the names? :laugh:

My husband's mother, a high school teacher, has had students named Male and Female, pronounced "Mah-lee" and "Fe-mah-lee." It's probably been mentioned here before, but my husband said it was only hearsay for him until he really met one of these kids. :p

My mother was an attorney in legal aid for a very long time, and did some interesting name changes. One was a woman named Schlitzella, who was named that because her parents apparently conceived her while drinking Schlitz. Another was an adult woman named Clitorus. God knows how she survived to adulthood with a name like that.

I had a patient in the past month or so named "Shemale" (Sheh-mal-ee)

The most recent ghetto word I've enjoyed is "conversate"

"You kinow, we wus up at the crib, just conversating, minding our business, when these two dudes . . ."

mike

tigress said:
I remember at some point when I was a relatively young kid there was something in the news about twins whose parents named them Orangejello and Lemonjello (pronounced approximately "or-ahn-jullo" etc.). So perhaps a lot of other people heard about this and decided they loved the names? :laugh:

My husband's mother, a high school teacher, has had students named Male and Female, pronounced "Mah-lee" and "Fe-mah-lee." It's probably been mentioned here before, but my husband said it was only hearsay for him until he really met one of these kids. :p

My mother was an attorney in legal aid for a very long time, and did some interesting name changes. One was a woman named Schlitzella, who was named that because her parents apparently conceived her while drinking Schlitz. Another was an adult woman named Clitorus. God knows how she survived to adulthood with a name like that.

I have had some recent interesting cases in central Texas while doing another EM elective. I saw a girl the other day and she had a little baby in the carrier next to her named Toshiba. She said she got the name while shopping at Target....heard something about Toshiba on the overhead and thought it was some kid's name who had been lost or something.

Then I had this guy who's family was stricken with the ever dreaded Texas wildfire (while-far) cancer and was worried he had it to. He said one day they would wake up with cancer, and the next day it had spread like wildfire and killed em.

SupportingOccam said:
Why don't you take it somewhere else? Oh yeah, you don't because it's socially unacceptable elsewhere. Gee, why is that.

You really have to make fun of 'medical ebonics' so that you don't burn out and quit medicine? Now THAT is funny.

This stuff is funny... plain and simple. I am sorry that you find it offensive, some people will. I find some things offensive too, like being told by a patient that it was my responsibility to learn to speak spanish because he didn't want to translate for his non-english speaking wife while at triage.... but I didn't grab a pen and jam it into his eye or anything.... We (meaning the staff) just laughed about it later.... because, yep you guessed it, it was funny... Life is meant to be fun and things are meant to be funny.... go ahead, laugh... it won't hurt unless it is really funny, careful though, you sometimes have trouble catching your breath....

I know your just trying to impart your will and protect those individuals that can't protect themselves and blah blah blah....but really, if you think about it....it really is funny....really

First post. Not a Doc, not in EM, not a nurse, not a medical student. I am glad that I found this site, though, and call an Amen! and raised hands a lot to ya'all. I am your friendly (sometimes) front office, the receptionist/clerk. It was the discussion of names that really got my attention (last names changed to protect HIPAA privacy):

1. Family James: Mom - "It's a family name."
Us (thinking) - Famil...Fa...You've gotta be joking, right?

2. Blesseth, Christian, Holy Hill: Can we sense a theme, anyone?

3. Aventaralimageorie Filamon: The nurses just call him George.

4. Nevaeh Mitchell: Me (on the phone with medicaid) - "Ma'am, how do you spell the baby's name?
Mom (apologetic shrug) - "It's just heaven spelled backwards."
Me (trying to think up something harsh about yet another oddly named child...but kinda touched by how tired and sweet this mom looks) - "Okay, thank you ma'am, we'll get it handled and the doctors will see her shortly. Have a seat."

This is not funny at all. I cannot believe you are sitting here making fun of people who rely on you to help them because of their cultural differences or their socioeconomic challenges. I mean, damn. Make fun of them for something they can help, like sticking lightbulbs in their rectum. That's funny. This is not.

Oh, and after all, they can't read this, right? :rolleyes: Think again. I found it, and I could be any one of these patients and recognize my story being told here.

Makes me really rethink how I view doctors. Thank you, you're doing a great service to your profession here.

Oh, and I have tattoos AND teeth. Do I still qualify for mandatory sterilization?

Horrified said:
This is not funny at all. I cannot believe you are sitting here making fun of people who rely on you to help them because of their cultural differences or their socioeconomic challenges. I mean, damn. Make fun of them for something they can help, like sticking lightbulbs in their rectum. That's funny. This is not.

Oh, and after all, they can't read this, right? :rolleyes: Think again. I found it, and I could be any one of these patients and recognize my story being told here.

Makes me really rethink how I view doctors. Thank you, you're doing a great service to your profession here.

Oh, and I have tattoos AND teeth. Do I still qualify for mandatory sterilization?

Question for you: how do you blow off steam when you are frustrated with work and absolutely MUST talk about it with someone?

Possible answer: go sit in a bar with a beer and talk about it.

Unfortunately, in many cases, doctors can't vent this kind of stuff over a beer, for fear of breaking privacy laws. So they (and someday I will) come here.

When I worked in clinical research, I occasionally had the most frustrating days, where my study patients admitted non-compliance and told me all kinds of s--- I didn't want to know. I couldn't then sit in a bar in my patient's hometown discussing it.

Admittedly, some of the stories are not about frustration, but rather about lack of education in our patients. Is it at all possible that we share those stories partially out of a desire to lament this sorry state of affairs?

Doctors are human too. The sooner the general public begins to accept that we are not G-d (although we do occasionally play him on TV), the better off everyone will be.

The reality is if we took all the situations seriously I dont think we could have a soul left. Once you work with patients and see what a sad state of affairs we are in you are left with 2 choices. You can internalize it all which IMO would lead to depression, sadness and rapid burnout, or you can joke about these things and realize that people do silly and funny things, many dont take their education seriously and choose to not conform to societal standards.

Horrified, you should realize that we are nothing more than educated people, the expectations placed on us are unrealistic. You have to understand that while we have fun here, in real life we work our tails off often for people who have little chance of surviving and even more often for people who think that they are doing us a favor.

FoughtFyr said:
My wife's brother-in-law's nieces (convuluted enough for you?) are named Hailey, Mary and Grace...

- H

Not all those crazy names are new...I have a looooong dead (~200yrs) female relative named "Thankful". Took us a while to work out that it was her 1st name. Her tombstone reads:

"Thankful, wife of Thomas" It was a while before anyone noticed the ',' in the somewhat weatherworn stone.

Horrified said:

No but you should qualify for a new procedure called dermal pachynization.

ReceptionClerk said:
4. Nevaeh Mitchell: Me (on the phone with medicaid) - "Ma'am, how do you spell the baby's name?
Mom (apologetic shrug) - "It's just heaven spelled backwards."
Me (trying to think up something harsh about yet another oddly named child...but kinda touched by how tired and sweet this mom looks) - "Okay, thank you ma'am, we'll get it handled and the doctors will see her shortly. Have a seat."

Since I'll be having my first child soon, I've recently been frequenting pregnancy and baby websites. You'll be interested to learn that in the near future you will be meeting quite a few more Nevaehs. Apparently Nevaeh has become a very popular name. I have no clue how it's pronounced. Neh-vay-uh?

Actually, now that I think about it, it's sort of pretty. But I'm not sure who came up with the idea of spelling heaven backwards :p

tigress said:
Since I'll be having my first child soon, I've recently been frequenting pregnancy and baby websites. You'll be interested to learn that in the near future you will be meeting quite a few more Nevaehs. Apparently Nevaeh has become a very popular name. I have no clue how it's pronounced. Neh-vay-uh?

Actually, now that I think about it, it's sort of pretty. But I'm not sure who came up with the idea of spelling heaven backwards :p

Just as long as you don't start to see too many boys named Lleh. :)

Horrified said:

Oh Christ, man, relax. I'm not a doc, nurse, or currently involved in ANY medical field (spent 8 years as EMS, as I said in another thread), myself, and I find this stuff HILARIOUS.

I'm also one of the patients these folks share their stories and laugh about, at times, guarenteed (would have to be, with 2 of 7 gunshot wounds being self-inflicted through hubris..both cases, I KNEW better than to do what I did, and thought "well, I've been handling guns so long, I know how to do this safely enough"...WRONG ANSWER, Bobby!...not to mention multiple trips to the E.R., as required by workman's comp laws, from getting overenthusiastic while roofing with an air stapler, two incidents with "precussion hammers" during home-inprovement projects, an incident where I inadvertantly constructed a "sparkler bomb" in my hand, trying to light a whole box of the metal core sparklers at once during a block party, etctetera....I don't doubt that the local E.R. team just about EVERYWHERE I've lived since turning 18 has developed an automatic response to my appearance at their doors of grinning and wondering how hard they'll laugh behind my back THIS time...as I did at some of the more...shall we say "rediculous" of the folks I got to play "taxi" for, in my days.

Also...the tooth/tattoo ratio they're referring to is a NEGATIVE one...as in more tatts than teeth...a fair way of measuring a person's attention to certain subjects that DO have an impact on overall health and intelligence, circumstantially....at least when you're talking about subjects with fewer than 15 discrete pieces of artwork on their skin...I've personally never met anyone with fewer teeth than tats, AND fewer than 15 tatts who was anyone I'd trust to safely operate a toothpick on the basis of written AND oral instruction...though I've met multiple ink-wearers who have more tatts than teeth, but have more than 32 tatts, who demonstrate that an affinity for ink != lack of mental accuity.

Sorry for the double post, here...had to get the rant out of the way.

A few picked up during my EMS time, and from my own family.

Grandma, in the 70's, had issues with her "lamb bagel" (and claimed that the ONLY way she could have got such a disease was through the "Jew doctor" who'd done her histerical-tomy. Thank God such Chicago-Shanty-Irish willful ignorance didn't infect Dad to be passed to us.)

Had a pickup on a first generation Viet-American who'd "americanized" his name by reversing patronymic and given names...Yiu Phuct (pronounced by HIM "Yoo Fooked"...you can guess how everyone who reads it pronounced it at first).

Had a gal we picked up on a "Johnny Bench" (imminent birth) call complain that her "uddah lips, dey's been makin' cottage cheese fo' abou' 8 weeks" (NOT an AA gal talking like this, either)

Had a complaint on a pickup of "pain in my dirtypillows" (old AA grandmother, sweet as hell, this was her way of describing pain in the chest...actually sat home through the night, and called in for advice at 9AM on a nurse's hotline, who naturally IMMEDIATELY got the information, and had us pick her up...she'd waited because "I didn't want to be a bother to anyone, and I figgered it couldn't be TOO serious, or my arm woulda hurt, too, like last time")

"He's had juicytootles for three days" from the mother of a 3y/o pickup suffering siezures, 104.7 temp, and in extreme dehydration...apparantly she meant liquid stool with lots of gas.

"I get these accesses from usin' the same needle too much" from a homeless junkie picked up after being "stomped" in an argument over who had rights to after-sundown use of a certain park (yeah, he had "accesses", some serious lacs, and what appeared to be serious fx of cheekbones and jaw)

"My wife doan' brush her teefs enuff, so I got dis infection when I knocked sum of 'em out lass munf. Ainchoo da guy pick her up, den?" (no, I'm not, but I'm definately going to tell one of the cops hanging around the ER nurse's desk "just in case" about that admission, give them my contact info, and hope they "do the right thing"...silly me...nurse later told me the guy was T&R)

"The doc last night said he thunk I had a concession from bein hit in the haid with a pool ball, but the wait was too long, and my boys was axepekkin me, so I lef', an took a cab back to da bar, drank til closin', an' wen' home ta sleep off da haidachin. It din't go 'way, even doe I slep' till dam' neah tree o'clock dis affernoon, so I had a cupla beers ta take the edge off tha hangovah, an' when DAT din't hep, I cawled you guys." (translation, I got hit in the skull with a fist wrapped around a pool ball last evening, had a preliminary Dx of a concussion, decided that rather than wasting valuable drinking time, I'd sneak out the side doors, cab back to the bar, drink all night, have trouble waking up, AND wake up with a headache, figure it was a hangover, kill at LEAST a six-pack, and, when the headache STILL persisted, decide MAYBE I ought to let a doctor treat me this time)

"I got da cancer...da real mean one...started in my t'roat, and den became meganasties all ovah" (metastasized, I assume)

An original "some dude" story, I think: "See, I was walkin home from my Gran's, an I saw Some Dude juss wailin' the crap outta my homeboy, so what cood I do, y'know? I coon't juss let Steeb (that's how he pronounced it, honestly) get beat down, right? So I kinda jumped in wit dis piece a pipe I juss foun' lyin on the groun'. Then this Other Dude, he had juss been standin' on a poche (poach, said REALLY fast), he dun come down, an' he mussa been bigger dan he look from up dere, cause he hit me in da back, an' it felt like sumbuddy dun drove a cah inta my kid-knees, so I fell dahn, an de guy been whippin' on Steeb dun pick up da pipe, an buss me one in da sholler and da head, den dey bof runned off down da street. (Ok, so how come you were found in the yard of a B&E call in by a guy who'd called the cops, saying he'd driven the burglar out with a baseball bat BY the cops responding, who'd then called for US...10 blocks from where you CLAIM this happened? The homeowner had REALLY clobbered him...he'd lost some 4 years, three months and several hours (it was winter '82 near dawn, he thought it was fall '78, early evening)

Horrified said:

Yes, but not because of your tattoos.

mike

Reactions: 1 user
Have to add mine:

While picking up a patient at her house and asking her husband about her meds he mentioned that she really didn't like using those "depositories"

4 yo girl named "Candida"

Pt. told me he had "Hi-5", took me a few minutes to realize that he was talking about HIV.

Over heard a student nurse saying that the patient, whose room I was headed into, had "Cootiefunkitis" and I pondered this as I was about to enter the door. As I walked in I knew what she meant, he smelled really, really bad!

Overheard a cop say to a buddy that he had to go make a fan run. I asked a cop buddy of mine who explained that this was actually an acronym "F.A.N.". It stands for Feet Ass and Nuts and is the smell left behind by some prisioners that requires a trip to the station for cleaning.

Doing a rotation in the extreme south of Texas right now, literally a stones throw from Mexico. I've noticed that a lot of my patients say "I drank my medicine" or "I drank my pills". It must be a translation thing.

Transcription errors attributed to outsourcing:

1. "breast sounds", I will look for these in the future.
2. "fetal impaction", I really hope this was a transcription error.

Was at a diabetes screening fair the other day when a woman told me she had a "hit-the-rectum" a couple of years ago...oh, you mean a hysterectomy!

DropkickMurphy said:
No but you should qualify for a new procedure called dermal pachynization.

This is not about being thin-skinned. This is about racism/classism. Surely you are educated enough to know that.

mikecwru, you are an dingus, but that is probably just my ignorant uneducated dippiness speaking.

And whoever said, "We're just educated individuals..." Yeah, with a serious superiority complex.

Tell me, is the picture of the patient's tattoo still up in that other thread? Surely that is a violation of ethics, if not HIPAA.

Yes, I do have frustrating days at work. And yep, I sure do vent about it with colleages. IN PRIVATE.

I really dont think this is the issue of racism or classism.. The reality is this "issue" has more to do with people being uneducated and not caring about their level of knowledge and docs who dont spend enough time explaining things to their patients and not making sure that patients understand what is going on with their health. Of course some patients are too afraid of asking questions for a number of reasons. I am sorry you dont see the humor in this but oh well..

I think one of the things you are missing Horrified is that MOST people choose to work with this "uneducated" population most do so for less money and it isnt because they dont have other opportunities.

You don't work in medicine 'horrified', do you ?

f_w said:
You don't work in medicine 'horrified', do you ?

I think thats quite obvious.. to "horrified" the nurses and techs are the worst when it comes to this.. :laugh:

Horrified said:
This is not about being thin-skinned. This is about racism/classism. Surely you are educated enough to know that.

mikecwru, you are an dingus, but that is probably just my ignorant uneducated dippiness speaking.

And whoever said, "We're just educated individuals..." Yeah, with a serious superiority complex.

Tell me, is the picture of the patient's tattoo still up in that other thread? Surely that is a violation of ethics, if not HIPAA.

Yes, I do have frustrating days at work. And yep, I sure do vent about it with colleages. IN PRIVATE.

Horrifying is raped with a broken stake. Horrifying is shot in the face with a shotgun over a drug deal. Horrifying is a 4 year old child starved to death by parents, who insist "she's faking it".

Virtually everybody in the US are good people, but the ones that aren't - are not. Malapropisms are not "horrifying", unless you don't have a scale to compare to for proportionality.

And yes, it is an issue of being thin-skinned. If you are horrified by words, you would not have the words to described how you would be if you see what we see - daily.

Reactions: 1 user
:clap:
Apollyon said:
Horrifying is raped with a broken stake. Horrifying is shot in the face with a shotgun over a drug deal. Horrifying is a 4 year old child starved to death by parents, who insist "she's faking it".

Virtually everybody in the US are good people, but the ones that aren't - are not. Malapropisms are not "horrifying", unless you don't have a scale to compare to for proportionality.

And yes, it is an issue of being thin-skinned. If you are horrified by words, you would not have the words to described how you would be if you see what we see - daily.
:clap:

Horrified said:

First off, I removed the photo (I don't want anything to do w/lawyers)

and now....
PRIVATE? The patient had recieved tickets for having the tatoo OUT IN PUBLIC!!! So, if someone has something that is publically displayed multiple times, is it a HIPAA violation to show it on a public forum??? I'm pretty sure it isn't.

Do I think that it was a violation of ethics?!?! NO!!! He stated that it was funny that he was ticketed for it, proceeded to show the entire staff of a busy ED his tat, and then allowed multiple people to take photos of it. We had permission to take pictures as well as verbal consent to post his tat (which he was proud of).

i've heard (from friends - direct experience) of a baby named ny'sseria.
and there are a slew of Boya and Boyb twins around here.

Apollyon said:

A-friggin'-men.

well dressed, middle-aged man comes in and refuses to sit at triage. says he has "honeymoon balls"

epididymitis

thats a gim'me i guess

Flipchick said:
I find this thread totally offensive and racist. Show some class, people--you're going to be doctors (or you already are docs, unfortunately) who are going to be taking care of a diverse group of patients--and you laugh at them and the way the speak?

Wish I knew where you are all going to practice so I can avoid you.

Please, have a sense of humor. I consider EM my mission field which I take very seriously. I try to treat each patient as if I were treating Christ Himself. We all need to be able to enjoy our patients and that includes finding humor in the things they say and laughing with them. If anything, it personalizes them and makes it easier to treat them as another person instead of a "diagnosis". It keeps us loose and less likely to treat them in a sub-standard manor especially in a high stress environment like the ED. If you are the type that insists on finding offense in trivial issues then I dare say you are the type of physician I would try to avoid. Lighten up.

f_w said:
> Identical twins named Precious and Unique

....who to make matters worse changed their first and lastnames twice during the first week of life and adding to the confusion developed the same complications, even on the same body side....
I knew these two roommates in college named Young and Preeti (pronounced "pretty"), always sounded so funny on the answering machine..

in my clinic, mom and daughter, child's name is wi-von-ee (asked her to spell it for me.. yvonne..)

Horrified said:

Did you get that sterilization yet?

A friend in another country told me these names of babies he had delivered:

Usnavy: pronounced oos-nah-vee (Mom saw it on the side of a boat and liked it)

Polyester: Dad liked the sound of it after he read it on a shirt label

The medical language we all speak is often so difficult for our patient's to remember....I really respect the one's who give us some word association when they can't remember exactly what the complicated word was that the last doctor used. Sometimes it really helps figure out what the past history and treatment was; although translating can be tough!

A recent example: "They gave me something like VO 5 to put on my noxema." Translation: They gave me Hydrocortisone 0.5% for my Eczema.