APP sued by EPs for damages

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bravotwozero

Chronically ambitious
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Reactions: 4 users
These lay the groundwork for other corporate practice of medicine cases though

This can be just one of the bricks that one day help, god willing, overthrow all CMGs. Just needs a judgement in their favor, the amount is trivial imo

Reactions: 1 users
Big balls for suing a CMG. Both those docs will be blacklisted for life from APP, any subsidiaries and probably any other CMG who adequately screens them/does due diligence and notices the previous litigation and accurately identifies them as high risk for employment.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's admirable (if substantiated) but these kinds of suits are very dependent on a person's point of view and there are probably plenty of arguments to be made that hospitals/physicians are simply trying to do the best they can in extenuating circumstances. You could just as easily make the argument that there would be risk of danger to life if they abandoned their shift without adequate notice and/or time for someone to staff it.

I just don't think suits like this are worth it. If you're gonna sue private equity, make sure it's worth it and something big OR you are retiring in 6 months and have nothing to lose.

It reminds me of this doc that sued a top five CMG for lost wages, got blacklisted, moved to a new town, took a job with a CMG which got taken over by previous CMG and lost his job because they refused to hire him at any of their sites due to the previous litigation. All within a year. All for what....2 months lost wages? 1 month? (I don't know the details, just heard the story from a colleague...)

If you're gonna torch bridges, do it with a small private SDG in a state where you never want to work again. Don't do it with a national/regional CMG unless you've thought long and hard about the ramifications.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Gimme 2 million (clear) and I will walk away from EM altogether, and parlay my sidejams into a full time jam.

It would be less fun, but I don't think I would care.

Reactions: 5 users
Gimme 2 million (clear) and I will walk away from EM altogether, and parlay my sidejams into a full time jam.

Just start up a Podcast where you share your thoughts on life and stories about EM. I bet we'd all sign up, and you can live off the ad revenue.

Reactions: 5 users
Just start up a Podcast where you share your thoughts on life and stories about EM. I bet we'd all sign up, and you can live off the ad revenue.

1. Thank you. I fancy myself as "the Dennis Miller of EM".

2. Guaranteed I'd be "cancel cultured" fast.

• Haha
If you're gonna torch bridges, do it with a small private SDG.
I take your point on risk-avoidance, but what do you accomplish by suing a small SDG?

If their goal is a paycheck - your advice may apply.
If their goal is to "stick it to the man" well, that takes risk.

Big balls for suing a CMG. Both those docs will be blacklisted for life from APP, any subsidiaries and probably any other CMG who adequately screens them/does due diligence and notices the previous litigation and accurately identifies them as high risk for employment.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's admirable (if substantiated) but these kinds of suits are very dependent on a person's point of view and there are probably plenty of arguments to be made that hospitals/physicians are simply trying to do the best they can in extenuating circumstances. You could just as easily make the argument that there would be risk of danger to life if they abandoned their shift without adequate notice and/or time for someone to staff it.

I just don't think suits like this are worth it. If you're gonna sue private equity, make sure it's worth it and something big OR you are retiring in 6 months and have nothing to lose.

It reminds me of this doc that sued a top five CMG for lost wages, got blacklisted, moved to a new town, took a job with a CMG which got taken over by previous CMG and lost his job because they refused to hire him at any of their sites due to the previous litigation. All within a year. All for what....2 months lost wages? 1 month? (I don't know the details, just heard the story from a colleague...)

If you're gonna torch bridges, do it with a small private SDG in a state where you never want to work again. Don't do it with a national/regional CMG unless you've thought long and hard about the ramifications.
I would sue these asshats for that much any day of the week and then set up a booth at ACEP showing everyone how I did it with the title:

“CMGS HATE ME BECAUSE OF THIS ONE SIMPLE TRICK”

• Haha
Reactions: 9 users
I take your point on risk-avoidance, but what do you accomplish by suing a small SDG?

If their goal is a paycheck - your advice may apply.
If their goal is to "stick it to the man" well, that takes risk.
No, I mean if you’re going to sue someone better for it to be a non private equity corporate entity. It would take something pretty egregious for me to sue anybody. In general I don’t believe in burning bridges. This specialty is smaller than people think. I just don’t think it was worth it from what I’ve read in the above case but that’s me.

Reactions: 2 users
worked w a guy last year whom was let go really for his lack of effort at work (Averaging less than 1pph while the rest of us were near 2). He was previously Navy so he sued the hospital saying he was let go due to his navy status. The hospital settled with him for a small fee (30-40k if i recall). It has been about a year since that happened and he is still unemployed. He has tried to stay in the area, although Im sure he could find something if he left the area. Either way, small amount suits aren't worth it

No, I mean if you’re going to sue someone better for it to be a non private equity corporate entity. It would take something pretty egregious for me to sue anybody. In general I don’t believe in burning bridges. This specialty is smaller than people think. I just don’t think it was worth it from what I’ve read in the above case but that’s me.
I don’t know the merits of the suit but if we don’t stand up against the CMGs we will continue to be pushed out and squeezed individually and collectively.

You could just as easily make the argument that there would be risk of danger to life if they abandoned their shift without adequate notice and/or time for someone to staff it.

I agree with pretty much everything else you said, except this. If they tried to argue this point, they'll have a difficult time, because all the other CMGs in the area weren't really forcing docs to work despite having symptomatic covid, but would just offer bonuses to other docs if they picked up the shift and the shift would get filled. APP is especially stingy when it comes to bonuses, and refuses to offer them.

Members don't see this ad :)
worked w a guy last year whom was let go really for his lack of effort at work (Averaging less than 1pph while the rest of us were near 2). He was previously Navy so he sued the hospital saying he was let go due to his navy status. The hospital settled with him for a small fee (30-40k if i recall). It has been about a year since that happened and he is still unemployed. He has tried to stay in the area, although Im sure he could find something if he left the area. Either way, small amount suits aren't worth it
I mean it doesn’t sound like he had much else going on taking up his time. 30-40k compared to nothing ain’t bad.

Reactions: 1 user
I don’t know the merits of the suit but if we don’t stand up against the CMGs we will continue to be pushed out and squeezed individually and collectively.
Yes.
We are talking about (at least) 2 motivations to sue, and they neither entail nor exclude each other:

1 - I want to sue, because I want to recoup losses. In this case, apply @Groove 's reasoning.
2 - This is wrong, and I should resist it. In this case, apply @EctopicFetus 's reasoning.

I agree with pretty much everything else you said, except this. If they tried to argue this point, they'll have a difficult time, because all the other CMGs in the area weren't really forcing docs to work despite having symptomatic covid, but would just offer bonuses to other docs if they picked up the shift and the shift would get filled. APP is especially stingy when it comes to bonuses, and refuses to offer them.
I guess I'm talking about abandoning your shift. Blockbuster worker or barista is not such a big deal but ED doc? Aren't there potential hospital/state board repercussions? Talk about bad optics. Anyway personally, I'm kind of tired of seeing EPs with 3 COVID vacation holidays a year because they retest every time they develop a sniffle and then bam...out for 10 days while the rest of the group shoulders the weight. It's like working with a bunch of pregnant colleagues all taking maternal leave at the same time. (No offense to any pregnant ladies in here...)

The doc that tested themselves on shift and demanded to be let go? C'mon man... how lame is that. I mean, you suddenly develop fever, cough, anosmia and ageusia during your shift but felt fine on the 30 mins drive in from home? How easy is it for any of us to get a shift filled within 24-48 hours much less immediately? Just finish out the shift, double mask and test yourself when you get home. Maybe I've just been brainwashed by the system... Or maybe it's my string of nights putting me in a particularly cynical mood...

I hear you man and trust me...I would love to purge our specialty of private equity and corporate interests but we can't even mobilize our ranks enough to combat encroaching MLPs. Hell, we can't even all agree on which medical organizations to support much less galvanize a base to effectively lobby in our best interests on a state or federal level. Private equity is here to stay and like it or not, they control the majority of jobs in the U.S. I just don't think it's worth losing your career and ability to provide for your family in a case such as the one above. If anyone wants to sue the CMG and crucify themselves as a martyr...make sure it's time for retirement and there's enough funds in the bank to cover all those legal expenses...

I’m not a litigious person, but wouldn’t be against pursuing if felt severely wronged by a CMG. Especially if had a chance to make a difference for myself/others and obtained career ending cash, but potentially needed to walk away because of difficulty in being hired again. Not worth it though just to make a point trying to fight the whole system as a single individual. EPs do need to use discretion per Groove’s argument. I’d never work for a CMG in the first place, but you have to be cognizant of burning bridges.

I do recognize that sometimes it takes a brave individual to take the first step. I do support suits against CMGs because I think they are abusive to EPs. Fully supportive of SDGs and docs taking back the practice of medicine from corporate America.

There also isn’t much point in bringing a suit against a SDG for the money unless you feel you have been severely wronged as the pockets aren’t as deep. I’m aware of an instant or two of decent payouts, but not walk away money from these types of situations.

I hear you man and trust me...I would love to purge our specialty of private equity and corporate interests but we can't even mobilize our ranks enough to combat encroaching MLPs. Hell, we can't even all agree on which medical organizations to support much less galvanize a base to effectively lobby in our best interests on a state or federal level. Private equity is here to stay and like it or not, they control the majority of jobs in the U.S. I just don't think it's worth losing your career and ability to provide for your family in a case such as the one above. If anyone wants to sue the CMG and crucify themselves as a martyr...make sure it's time for retirement and there's enough funds in the bank to cover all those legal expenses...
Agreed. These folks perhaps decided on a job at the VA or are quitting who knows. Yes it takes balls to do and there is risk. I assume they sorted that out.

Good for them and I hope they win. Our only hope is legislative but truly EPs are not a group that is easy to support.

We make 350k a year. That’s it hard stop. Your average joe doesn’t care about anything else. Most people will lick feces covered boots for 40 hours a week for that type of dough.

All these people know is the crappy experience they or their family member had at their local Ed.

I guess I'm talking about abandoning your shift. Blockbuster worker or barista is not such a big deal but ED doc? Aren't there potential hospital/state board repercussions? Talk about bad optics. Anyway personally, I'm kind of tired of seeing EPs with 3 COVID vacation holidays a year because they retest every time they develop a sniffle and then bam...out for 10 days while the rest of the group shoulders the weight. It's like working with a bunch of pregnant colleagues all taking maternal leave at the same time. (No offense to any pregnant ladies in here...)

The doc that tested themselves on shift and demanded to be let go? C'mon man... how lame is that. I mean, you suddenly develop fever, cough, anosmia and ageusia during your shift but felt fine on the 30 mins drive in from home? How easy is it for any of us to get a shift filled within 24-48 hours much less immediately? Just finish out the shift, double mask and test yourself when you get home. Maybe I've just been brainwashed by the system... Or maybe it's my string of nights putting me in a particularly cynical mood...
I think this was delta-era COVID where Methodist's standard of care was that symptomatic docs did not take care of patients unless an internal state of emergency had been declared, which it hadn't. These 2 docs work hard, seeing legit 20+% crit care, with most of the non-crit care being done in the waiting room because the entire ED is admitted holds and they were not looking to dodge shifts. They are being ballsy but APP is also crushing them currently (violating their contracted pay, making them pay for scribes when they don't actually have a scribe,etc) so they probably feel like they don't have a ton to lose.

Is it just me, or did APP do a serious heelturn in the past few years?
This is what all PE looks like when things aren’t producing massive profits or growth. They were stunningly under-organized given their size but were offering good pay and promise of keeping the local organization the same. Now they’re still administratively a cluster but they’re also trying to deliver profits their contracts can’t provide just by raising revenue.

I believe another very active member here was also screwed over by APP. I could have the CMG mixed up with one he truly worked for, but I do think it was APP. I'll let him chime in if he wants. I will respect his anonymity if he doesn't want it brought forward.

PE-backed CMGs are out for nothing but profit. They aren't there to provide a service to the people. They're there to make a profit. They will stop at nothing to ensure that profit happens.

Reactions: 4 users
Is it just me, or did APP do a serious heelturn in the past few years?
Major financial squeeze. As said cmg gotta CMG. They all start with whatever nonsense needs to be said to grow. Then whoops. Finances look rough. Then squeeze money every which way possible. APP will likely be the first chip to fall. $500m in debt for an over leveraged company in a market with soaring rates and lack of ability to see patients because hospitals won’t provide nurses is a recipe for default.

Disagree w/ most of your other posts on this thread, as I think these docs are undertaking an heroic action. But I do agree w/ the notion that we need to move past the paradigm of keeping folks w/ coldvid home from work. However, the correct way to do so is to make this official policy, not to require doctors to surreptitiously violate official policy.

Would APP have stood up for a doc who got accused of coming in to work sick w/ covid and passed it onto a patient if they made a stink about it? Doubtful.

Disagree w/ most of your other posts on this thread, as I think these docs are undertaking an heroic action. But I do agree w/ the notion that we need to move past the paradigm of keeping folks w/ coldvid home from work. However, the correct way to do so is to make this official policy, not to require doctors to surreptitiously violate official policy.

Would APP have stood up for a doc who got accused of coming in to work sick w/ covid and passed it onto a patient if they made a stink about it? Doubtful.
It's ok man, we've all got valid opinions in here. Mine might be unpopular and that's cool. I guess my point is that we've all been coming to work with flu and all sorts of viral URIs for our entire careers. Why are we treating COVID now so differently? Have you ever felt viral while at work and asked to go home? I would wager not. While I agree with the sick day concept, I've always felt after working in corporate America that we as physicians are held to a higher standard. Is that due to our training culture? Perhaps, but again...it's going to be difficult convincing the public that a doctor making almost half a million dollars per year needs to take 12 sick days or whatever the corporate norm.

And I think EPs have been undertaking heroic actions their entire careers, not just during COVID or through this lawsuit. Hell, we are heroic in just about everything we do and even more so during this pandemic. I just happen to think that if this suit is to somehow serve our greater interests, it will be a Pyrrhic victory at best. Good luck to them though. I don't think we necessarily disagree as much as you think. I hate what PE and CMGs have done to us but we need strategic and unorthodox war tactics....more Sun Tzus and fewer General Custers if we ever stand a chance of breaking free of our bondage. (And we ARE in bondage...enslaved to our corporate masters.)

Like it or not, this is how patient's see us and what they expect of an emergency medicine doctor taking care of them in their time of greatest need: (I've always thought this was such a cool photo. Dr. Religa after the first heart transplantation at 23h in the OR.)

humans-of-world-powerful-portrait-photography-17__880.jpg

It's not that I'm the healthiest guy in the world but I can only really think of one time in 13 years that I needed to get my shifts covered and that was for a PTX. Maybe docs with my mentality are bad for us.... Hell, sick days that don't cause shame and are freely accepted/encouraged in a physician group actually sounds great to me.

On a more depressing note, I was looking up a group of docs last night during my shift that graduated from my residency and had started a local SDG that had been successful for several years and noticed that a CMG has swooped in and taken over their contract in the past 1-2 years....sigh.

Last edited:
It's ok man, we've all got valid opinions in here. Mine might be unpopular and that's cool. I guess my point is that we've all been coming to work with flu and all sorts of viral URIs for our entire careers. Why are we treating COVID now so differently? Have you ever felt viral while at work and asked to go home? I would wager not. While I agree with the sick day concept, I've always felt after working in corporate America that we as physicians are held to a higher standard. Is that due to our training culture? Perhaps, but again...it's going to be difficult convincing the public that a doctor making almost half a million dollars per year needs to take 12 sick days or whatever the corporate norm.

And I think EPs have been undertaking heroic actions their entire careers, not just during COVID or through this lawsuit. Hell, we are heroic in just about everything we do and even more so during this pandemic. I just happen to think that if this suit is to somehow serve our greater interests, it will be a Pyrrhic victory at best. Good luck to them though. I don't think we necessarily disagree as much as you think. I hate what PE and CMGs have done to us but we need strategic and unorthodox war tactics....more Sun Tzus and fewer General Custers if we ever stand a chance of breaking free of our bondage. (And we ARE in bondage...enslaved to our corporate masters.)

Like it or not, this is how patient's see us and what they expect of an emergency medicine doctor taking care of them in their time of greatest need: (I've always thought this was such a cool photo. Dr. Religa after the first heart transplantation.)

View attachment 356630

It's not that I'm the healthiest guy in the world but I can only really think of one time in 13 years that I needed to get my shifts covered and that was for a PTX. Maybe docs with my mentality are bad for us.... Hell, sick days that don't cause shame and are freely accepted/encouraged in a physician group actually sounds great to me.

On a more depressing note, I was looking up a group of docs last night during my shift that graduated from my residency and had started a local SDG that had been successful for several years and noticed that a CMG has swooped in and taken over their contract in the past 1-2 years....sigh.
Yeah, my point was basically that I agree that we should go back to a policy of 'work unless you're too sick to', but that needs to actually be the policy.

Every hospital I've been at recently still has signs up directing staff not to enter if they have a fever/cough/sob/etc. If they want people to come to work sick, then they should take down those signs.

Yeah, my point was basically that I agree that we should go back to a policy of 'work unless you're too sick to', but that needs to actually be the policy.

Every hospital I've been at recently still has signs up directing staff not to enter if they have a fever/cough/sob/etc. If they want people to come to work sick, then they should take down those signs.
But I think the signs at the hospital are mostly for the nurses and ancillary staff. Probably if 1 out of 47 nurses on shift has covid they should not work given they usually have more closer contact with patients than we do. And probably the lab tech coughing covid onto the covid tests would be less than helpful. But there’s almost always a barebones staffing for the ER physicians. I haven’t purposely gone to work with covid , but I’m sure I had it at some point in the last 2.5 years, and unless your shop has a call system, there isn’t really a way to get shifts covered at the last minute. I’m sure the hospitals are looking at it From a liability sense - if someone gets covid from the nurse that spent an hour changing them I think that would be a big deal for the hospital. Surely most of us can double mask and take a Sudafed and do our 90 second assessment without getting people sick, I’d think.

Man. 2 million should be doable for all EM docs within 10 years. The problem is the moving goalposts. 2 quickly becomes 3,4,5…10

But I think the signs at the hospital are mostly for the nurses and ancillary staff. Probably if 1 out of 47 nurses on shift has covid they should not work given they usually have more closer contact with patients than we do. And probably the lab tech coughing covid onto the covid tests would be less than helpful. But there’s almost always a barebones staffing for the ER physicians. I haven’t purposely gone to work with covid , but I’m sure I had it at some point in the last 2.5 years, and unless your shop has a call system, there isn’t really a way to get shifts covered at the last minute. I’m sure the hospitals are looking at it From a liability sense - if someone gets covid from the nurse that spent an hour changing them I think that would be a big deal for the hospital. Surely most of us can double mask and take a Sudafed and do our 90 second assessment without getting people sick, I’d think.
Maybe we should address those problems in ways other than making docs work while sick?

Maybe we should address those problems in ways other than making docs work while sick?
There’s sick and then there’s sick. Probably even having a fever would impact my ability to think clearly , but if you truly just have the sniffles? I think most people can make it through the rest of their 8-12 hour shift even if they start having URI symptoms halfway through. I will say that my group has been fairly stable over the last 10 years (now our CMG and hospital both pissing us off and about 1/3 have quit in the last year) and we have all covered and needed coverage for significant illness requiring hospitalization, premature deliveries, or deaths in the family - I remember getting a weekend midnight shift covered with 3 hours notice when my dad died and no one even expected me to find coverage. Every group has to find the balance. Some will set up a call schedule. Personally I don’t want to be on call several extra days per month ; I don’t want to pay someone else to be on call ; I don’t want to be told to stay late or come in early to cover someone ; I don’t want to make significantly less per hour to increase coverage ; so I’m not sure what the answers are.

It was “the 4 M’s,” which stood for “Motrin, mask, man-up and must not test.”

Such a catchy slogan I imagine will cut both ways...motivate the staff now...and convince the jurors of your negligence later.

There’s sick and then there’s sick. Probably even having a fever would impact my ability to think clearly , but if you truly just have the sniffles? I think most people can make it through the rest of their 8-12 hour shift even if they start having URI symptoms halfway through. I will say that my group has been fairly stable over the last 10 years (now our CMG and hospital both pissing us off and about 1/3 have quit in the last year) and we have all covered and needed coverage for significant illness requiring hospitalization, premature deliveries, or deaths in the family - I remember getting a weekend midnight shift covered with 3 hours notice when my dad died and no one even expected me to find coverage. Every group has to find the balance. Some will set up a call schedule. Personally I don’t want to be on call several extra days per month ; I don’t want to pay someone else to be on call ; I don’t want to be told to stay late or come in early to cover someone ; I don’t want to make significantly less per hour to increase coverage ; so I’m not sure what the answers are.

So from the hospital epidemiologist side, this gets interesting. HCWs who work sick never think they infect anyone else, but we have good evidence they do, coworkers, patients, etc. They’re just oblivious because they often don’t see the downstream effects. We’re getting better at studying and tracking this as whole genome sequencing comes into wider use.

I had to handle a HMPV outbreak at our nursing home the year before covid. Traced it back to a sick staff member, who infected a resident, that resident infected her 2 dinner table mates, one of them was hospitalized, the others were both pretty sick, several staff then got it. One of them was dx’d with pneumonia and got really sick. Once we got people to actually stay home when sick it stopped.

I’ve seen norovirus take out large numbers of staff, including almost the entire lab to the point the lab director lectured everyine to stop coming to work sick because he’d rather have one or to people off than the whole damn dept. out. Then go from me being down a couple staff to being down so many it’s incapacitating.

That was all before covid of course.

Patients who need emergency care or a hospital stay or nursing home stay don’tmhave a choice in the matter. I think people have a right to get care without getting something else preventable on top of whatever they’re already in for. The issue is it might only be a minor illness for the staff but can be a a major problem for someone else.

I’m guilty of it too of course. I worked the night shift in the lab for many years and you only called in if nearing death cuz coverage would be a problem. I had my coworkers send me to the ER one night cuz I was in so much pain I couldn’t stand up straight and was reportedly quite grey.

But there’s no good reason we can’t have systems in place to let people stay home who are legit sick, for their own well being and the well being of everyone else. Our system just lacks the will to do it and we’ve all been trained to martyr ourselves and feel good about it.

Exactly. Even when I've had the flu and feel terrible.... It's pretty remarkable what 1g Tylenol, 800mg ibuprofen and 25mg dextromethorphan can do for you. I feel almost back to my normal self after taking those and only start to regress a couple hours before the end of my shift.

Call systems would probably be a good way to encourage sick days among EP docs and make it more acceptable but are notoriously unpopular in our field because we like to have our day offs protected and most call systems do not pay the doc to be on call though that would make it more tolerable I suppose.

2 million? Give me 1 million in fanduel credit, and I'd call it even. Haha

Exactly. Even when I've had the flu and feel terrible.... It's pretty remarkable what 1g Tylenol, 800mg ibuprofen and 25mg dextromethorphan can do for you. I feel almost back to my normal self after taking those and only start to regress a couple hours before the end of my shift.

Call systems would probably be a good way to encourage sick days among EP docs and make it more acceptable but are notoriously unpopular in our field because we like to have our day offs protected and most call systems do not pay the doc to be on call though that would make it more tolerable I suppose.
It could be made to work. Pay someone 50% of a shift to be on for 24 hours for illness or volume. Problem solved. People don’t want to pay. In EM we have a very strong incentive to be at work. We get no sick pay (with rare exception).

It could be made to work. Pay someone 50% of a shift to be on for 24 hours for illness or volume. Problem solved. People don’t want to pay. In EM we have a very strong incentive to be at work. We get no sick pay (with rare exception).
The problem is that an appropriately set up system for calling in sick makes everybody a little bit angry. The doc on call is going to be angry because it's a day they can't f$%# off to the mountains/rivers/ocean and can't reliably schedule anything during on top of their (likely) already crushing normal load of shifts. The people paying for the sick call aren't going to be happy because it either cuts into the profits of the CMG/oligarch(s) or it cuts into the revenue pool that the SDG pays out. Best system is having a truly massive group where everybody has 1-2 days a month of call, with/without a call stipend. 2nd best solution is having a director that's not working much clinically who just covers if they're a call out. You either have to concentrate the pain in one place or distribute it out so wildly that nobody really notices it.

The problem is that an appropriately set up system for calling in sick makes everybody a little bit angry. The doc on call is going to be angry because it's a day they can't f$%# off to the mountains/rivers/ocean and can't reliably schedule anything during on top of their (likely) already crushing normal load of shifts. The people paying for the sick call aren't going to be happy because it either cuts into the profits of the CMG/oligarch(s) or it cuts into the revenue pool that the SDG pays out. Best system is having a truly massive group where everybody has 1-2 days a month of call, with/without a call stipend. 2nd best solution is having a director that's not working much clinically who just covers if they're a call out. You either have to concentrate the pain in one place or distribute it out so wildly that nobody really notices it.
Having a director take 24/7/365 call is a little much. The group would have to pay a massive stipend for that and even then it’s probably not worth it. Your first option seems much more viable.

I think that not paying to cover a reasonable call schedule is just hiding the cost and putting it on the docs. If you work in a CMG and elect to do that to yourself, well that's one thing. But if you're working for a hospital system or a CMG, they should pony up the cost of making the job safe and sustainable...what else are they getting paid for?

I think that not paying to cover a reasonable call schedule is just hiding the cost and putting it on the docs. If you work in a CMG and elect to do that to yourself, well that's one thing. But if you're working for a hospital system or a CMG, they should pony up the cost of making the job safe and sustainable...what else are they getting paid for?
They’re getting paid to create value for their shareholders or to enlarge the assets under management of their non-profit. A one time bonus (even if there’s 4 or 5 of them) versus the same $$$ amount on a fixed line item on the budget isn’t a contest. Every expense you can move from reoccurring to a one off is a win in corporate world.

A lot of this depends on scale. Massive groups can pay One doc to cover multiple sites. Pay half of what u normally make in a shift and then if called in pay 2x hourly.
for SDG it doesn’t impact the revenue pool. The “profit” might be cut but the amount paid out by definition doesn’t change.
my group has a backup schedule. Everyone signs up for their share.
regarding the Crushing number of shifts give it 4-5 more years and there will be a ton of spare capacity of em docs.

So a little update - one of the docs who was party to the lawsuit has been fired. Don’t know the exact circumstances but you can bet it was because of the lawsuit.

In a monumental display of administrative incompetence, the hospital sent a system wide email to every single doc that works for APP, (except the guy that got fired) - including yours truly (prn only with them and haven’t worked a shift in like 2 years) saying that since you no longer work for the staffing company we use in the ED, you also no longer work for us. Lolz.

Another system wide email followed shortly thereafter with a retraction and an apology for ‘any anxiety this may have caused’. Hopefully they didn’t have a bunch of no shows on shift by EPS who thought they got fired….

So a little update - one of the docs who was party to the lawsuit has been fired. Don’t know the exact circumstances but you can bet it was because of the lawsuit.

In a monumental display of administrative incompetence, the hospital sent a system wide email to every single doc that works for APP, (except the guy that got fired) - including yours truly (prn only with them and haven’t worked a shift in like 2 years) saying that since you no longer work for the staffing company we use in the ED, you also no longer work for us. Lolz.

Another system wide email followed shortly thereafter with a retraction and an apology for ‘any anxiety this may have caused’. Hopefully they didn’t have a bunch of no shows on shift by EPS who thought they got fired….

The worst thing about it is that fired doctors are hard to employ and the lawsuit won’t get results for a couple of years 1 million minus lawyer fee is like 600k so it’s just two years of doctor pay