Medical school mistakes haunting me on state licensing applications

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FoolishSleeper

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
When I was in med school I was frankly a lazy unprofessional idiot. I studied hard but was never on time and slept in during an exam in my second year (and didn't reach out to admin).

That triggered a meeting with admin, and then another a few months later where they said it looked like I learned my lesson and to keep it up. This never came up again. Later on when I was a 3rd year, I failed COMLEX PE.

Now years later I'm applying for an unrestricted license and they have a question asking if I was ever given "a warning" in med school, residency, fellowship, etc.

My plan was to succinctly say what happened, describe my change in outlook and how I learned from that incident. But the pessimist in me who's read horror stories about these medical boards denying people for having issues with depression, etc make me wonder if I should just omit this. I really doubt this was mentioned in my Dean's Letter.

I'm curious what others who have possibly been in this position have done or would do in my place. I'm not very comfortable with the idea of omitting anything but I would hate for a character defect I had successfully fixed years ago to stop my career before it even gets started. I'm already going to be on the radar for failing my PE exam... Am I being too paranoid and overthinking things?

Members don't see this ad.

If this isn't on your transcript, I wouldn't report it. It doesn't seem like you were ever formally on probation, so I wouldn't report an admin informally telling you to not sleep in through exams.

Reactions: 9 users
It's not on my transcript unless they alluded to it in some way in my Dean's Letter. I asked point blank during my 4th year and was told it was not on there.

It's funny reading someone else restate the issue back to me, definitely makes me feel like I'm overthinking it, thank you. I will say though that this was a scheduled meeting with a whole panel of people. They took this very seriously at the time. I wrote a letter apologizing and they ultimately allowed me to take that exam at a later date with no interference to my curriculum, time off, etc.

Reactions: 1 users
It's not on my transcript unless they alluded to it in some way in my Dean's Letter. I asked point blank during my 4th year and was told it was not on there.

It's funny reading someone else restate the issue back to me, definitely makes me feel like I'm overthinking it, thank you. I will say though that this was a scheduled meeting with a whole panel of people. They took this very seriously at the time. I wrote a letter apologizing and they ultimately allowed me to take that exam at a later date with no interference to my curriculum, time off, etc.
They did you a favor with that. You clearly took it seriously going forward, which was the point.

Now it's time to forget about it and move on.

Reactions: 14 users
They did you a favor with that. You clearly took it seriously going forward, which was the point.

Now it's time to forget about it and move on.
Agreed. I got into a spot of trouble during residency and was told that if I kept my nose clean it wouldn't go on any permanent record of any sort.

I've never mentioned it on any documents.

Reactions: 1 users