Mistakes on medical license application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jhc02

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm currently applying for Texas medical license. I just submitted my application couple hours ago, and suddenly I realized that I have answered 2 questions incorrectly (unintentionally). These questions have to do with criminal history section: 1) have you been arrested? 2) have you been convicted?

So I did have a small misdemeanor history almost 10 years ago, and at that time I was NOT arrested (only charged to appear to court) and was NOT convicted (plea of guilty made that resulted in probational period and later case was marked "completed and cleared" which means NOT convicted).

I don't know what I was thinking, but out of panic (yes, every time I have to disclose this history on any licensing process I panic), I answered YES arrested, YES convicted.

Are there any inputs to my situations? If I withdraw my application to submit a corrected application, will it affect my future applications? (i.e. will it be a red flag?) If so, should I just try to keep it as it is, and submit additional statement explaining what ACTUALLY happened 10 years ago?

I can't believe what I have done to myself... I'm in a complete disbelief that I basically potentially ruined my own career. I really wish to move to Texas post-residency and this seems like a big deal at the moment. Will my application be rejected....

Members don't see this ad.

Hello all,

I'm currently applying for Texas medical license. I just submitted my application couple hours ago, and suddenly I realized that I have answered 2 questions incorrectly (unintentionally). These questions have to do with criminal history section: 1) have you been arrested? 2) have you been convicted?

So I did have a small misdemeanor history almost 10 years ago, and at that time I was NOT arrested (only charged to appear to court) and was NOT convicted (plea of guilty made that resulted in probational period and later case was marked "completed and cleared" which means NOT convicted).

I don't know what I was thinking, but out of panic (yes, every time I have to disclose this history on any licensing process I panic), I answered YES arrested, YES convicted.

Are there any inputs to my situations? If I withdraw my application to submit a corrected application, will it affect my future applications? (i.e. will it be a red flag?) If so, should I just try to keep it as it is, and submit additional statement explaining what ACTUALLY happened 10 years ago?

I can't believe what I have done to myself... I'm in a complete disbelief that I basically potentially ruined my own career. I really wish to move to Texas post-residency and this seems like a big deal at the moment. Will my application be rejected....
Ask a medical lawyer who works with boards in Texas. They will be able to answer this much better

Reactions: 5 users
Agree with the above. You need to talk to someone like that anyways so you'll have clarity on how to address these kinds of questions on all future applications of any kind. Don't mess around with medical license applications.

Reactions: 2 users
Talk to a lawyer who works with Texas medical board, but don’t panic.

You are much better off in the long run than if you had done the opposite and check NO when you should have checked YES.

I would not knee-jerk withdraw your application, as that alone is a question you'll have to answer for future credentialing/licenses if you do so (have you ever withdrawn your application for licensure/credentialing). Agree with talking to a lawyer before you do anything further.

Reactions: 1 user
I know the TMB can be a real bunch of a-holes, so I understand your concern.

My suspicion is that somebody is going to see that flag on your application and they will ask you for an explanation. That's when you tell them about the mistake, they add a comment to or amend your application, and off you go (still waiting 6-9 months because...Texas).

Having said that, I'm sure you can easily find a lawyer in Texas to help you deal with this (again, because...Texas) and I would recommend that.

I know the TMB can be a real bunch of a-holes, so I understand your concern.

My suspicion is that somebody is going to see that flag on your application and they will ask you for an explanation. That's when you tell them about the mistake, they add a comment to or amend your application, and off you go (still waiting 6-9 months because...Texas).

Having said that, I'm sure you can easily find a lawyer in Texas to help you deal with this (again, because...Texas) and I would recommend that.

I'm surprised that an explanation was not immediately prompted when completing the application. That should have cleared things up quicker.

I'm surprised that an explanation was not immediately prompted when completing the application. That should have cleared things up quicker.
You should never be surprised by lack of competence on the part of medical licensing or other administrative entities.

Reactions: 6 users
You should never be surprised by lack of competence on the part of medical licensing or other administrative entities.
True, but all that's required is a box either on a paper or electronic form asking for an explanation. A 6 year old at coding camp could add it. My state application which was paper as late as 2021 (I think they finally have electronic now) just had a line asking you to add an extra piece of paper to the application for any explanation to a "Yes" on any of those criminal or disciplinary action.

Even with the explanation, they will still make you withdraw it and resubmit a new one and pay the fee all over again. I had the wrong number of credit hours listed from my first residency and the TMB asked for an explanation and then made me withdrawal it and start anew. There is something in Texas law about not being able to grant a license to an application that is incorrect even it is an honest mistake.

Even with the explanation, they will still make you withdraw it and resubmit a new one and pay the fee all over again. I had the wrong number of credit hours listed from my first residency and the TMB asked for an explanation and then made me withdrawal it and start anew. There is something in Texas law about not being able to grant a license to an application that is incorrect even it is an honest mistake.
Because...Texas

Hey guys,

So I spoke with a medical license attorney in Texas, and they said I still have about 95% chance of getting the license no matter what. After talking in depth, I decided to hire a lawyer so they could collect all necessary documentations, submit and coordinate with the application analyst from the board. This way I can avoid any future mistakes and obstacles, otherwise it would be one heck of a 9 months of worry and anxiety. Thank you guys for your inputs, I really appreciated every single one of your advices.

Best luck to you all!

Because...Texas
TMB and MA are the worst. I don't know which is more worse, though. Meanwhile, Florida just gives out licenses for $25 even if you have no intention of working there.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Hello all,

You can not say anything hoping that nothing will show up

Hey guys,

So I spoke with a medical license attorney in Texas, and they said I still have about 95% chance of getting the license no matter what. After talking in depth, I decided to hire a lawyer so they could collect all necessary documentations, submit and coordinate with the application analyst from the board. This way I can avoid any future mistakes and obstacles, otherwise it would be one heck of a 9 months of worry and anxiety. Thank you guys for your inputs, I really appreciated every single one of your advices.

Best luck to you all!
Well this thread took a boring turn.

Are you sure you don’t want to wait around for page 3 where you tell us the real story for your “small misdemeanor” is that you did hard time back in college for impersonating a secret service agent while trying to steal drugs from a pharmacy? That would be more traditional…

Yes - you have to pay into NICA (Neurological Injury Compensation Association) each year, even if you don't do any obstetrics. It's $250 a year for non-OB physicians.
Yeah, no matter what they get their money. If you pay, do you need other malpractice?

With some of the DEA restrictions and claims of needing to be licensed both in the state the patient is physically in AND the state you are physically in to write any controlled scripts, I'm tempted to collect licenses anywhere I'd vacation.