Medical Residency requirements for a non EU doctor

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

us97013

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

Could anyone please tell me what are the requirements for a non-EU doctor for doing medical residency in Germany and what are the steps to enrol in a medical residency program in Germany (specially for doctors having MBBS degree from some other country)?

Thanks,

Arsalan

Members don't see this ad.

well thanks man i found u
as i m Dr shahbaz khokher had done my graduation MD from Ukraine in 2007 and now i m looking for the germen language corce to get the residency in general surgery but the question is that ,does german accept the Ukraine Degree either cerdit Hours which got from Ukraine on the other hand i m registerd Medical Practioner in Pkistan as m working Medical officer leggally ....kindky reply me and help me out i will b thankfull to you....either tell me the way out how to get information .... cheer in waiting here

You should read through the other threads (and my posts) about medicine in Germany- there has been a lot of information posted recently about non-EU doctors and residency.

To sum it up:
speak German, apply for a Assistenzarzt position, get a job offer, get a working license "Berufserlaubnis"

The equivalency of your degree (as well as language skills etc..) will be determined when you apply for the work permit. This process varies from state to state and is done on an individual basis. The best resource is the "Landesaerztekammer" for the state you are planning to work in.

Members don't see this ad :)
well thanks 1st of all
so you wana say that i shud start the german ang and then when i will b in german then i get the information about it ?
r u in german and wat do you do? COULD YOU PLEASE HELP ME TO TO KNOW THE GOOD GERMAN LANG UNIVERSITY?:love:

You should read through the other threads (and my posts) about medicine in Germany- there has been a lot of information posted recently about non-EU doctors and residency.

To sum it up:
speak German, apply for a Assistenzarzt position, get a job offer, get a working license "Berufserlaubnis"

The equivalency of your degree (as well as language skills etc..) will be determined when you apply for the work permit. This process varies from state to state and is done on an individual basis. The best resource is the "Landesaerztekammer" for the state you are planning to work in.

mmmiles, thanks for the helpful info. Any idea which states are easier to find a job in and have less strict rules?

Also, how does one start looking for positions? search medical schools' websites? but how about non-university hospitals?

Also, can you please shed light on visa issues. AFAIK, it depends on the state you're training in. I heard you get a visa for 5 years and you can't practice thereafter. The only way to practice in Germany is to become a citizen which takes 8 years, but most likely your visa won't last for 8 years. Any ideas?

To sum it up:

can you pease tell me how can i get residency in cardiothoracic surgery. i am ready to learn german but is it assured that i could get a residency. i from bangladesh and ihave done MBBS and MS