Med Spas (how to run one?)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jaider

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Can anyone help me out? :)

I'm looking for resources regarding the business aspects of running a medical spa.

I have to throw together a 10-page paper on some business aspect of medicine (Health Services Admin class). I think the competition of offering elective procedures is fairly interesting, hence the med spa idea. Big topic, small paper. My paper will probably include a quick intro to the rising popularity and the root of the med spa idea, then elaborate on some of the administrative challenges: marketing, etc. I'll be able to narrow my topic once I find some good resources.

Any ideas? Thanks a million.

Members don't see this ad.

Jaider said:
Hi,

Can anyone help me out? :)

I'm looking for resources regarding the business aspects of running a medical spa.

I have to throw together a 10-page paper on some business aspect of medicine (Health Services Admin class). I think the competition of offering elective procedures is fairly interesting, hence the med spa idea. Big topic, small paper. My paper will probably include a quick intro to the rising popularity and the root of the med spa idea, then elaborate on some of the administrative challenges: marketing, etc. I'll be able to narrow my topic once I find some good resources.

Any ideas? Thanks a million.

I did alot of poking around here...These started off being popular and are waning a bit, I talked to a MD who lost alot of $$$ on one and since Im steering clear. I think now they are being consolidated by corperations run from tax friendly southern locations and are staffed by RNs with medical directors who visit maybe 1x/week. Often the medical directors have no expertise in cosmetics at all, they are commonly kinda loser types or residents who want to pick up a small paycheck for doing this. Unfortunately for the laws regarding medical directorships have changed alot and these latchkey MD directors are gonna find they are up crap creek should something go wrong, while often the out of state corporations walk scott free. Sad but true. We get screwed by the man, YET AGAIN.

LADoc00 said:
I did alot of poking around here...These started off being popular and are waning a bit, I talked to a MD who lost alot of $$$ on one and since Im steering clear.

So what exactly went wrong here?

Are you saying this is more of a "quality control" issue?

Do you know any good resources to look into this topic?

Members don't see this ad :)
I am actually part of a corporation - we are developing a Med spa in Virginia it has actually been very successful sso far - we are in need of a Cosmetic Derm to join us!! and really when you think like a consumer there is still so much demand for the right practicioner!
We are very credible and conservbative in our practice
We want to be around a long time -hence, a lot of research is necessary
;)

QQ

Disciple said:
So what exactly went wrong here?

Are you saying this is more of a "quality control" issue?

Do you know any good resources to look into this topic?

Are you a Dermatologist? If you don't mind me asking.

So is this a franchise?

I forgot the name, but are you part of a spa consulting firm based out of Orange County?

This is an interesting thread.

I'm wondering how these medical spas get their financing initially for equipment, hiring staff, certification of the physical space, the actual building etc.

At some point, I plan to start a plastics practice, and this will be the most obvious hurdle for me.

Anyone want to throw out some numbers on what it took to get their medical spa off the ground?

In my case, we'd have a couple of ORs and all of the attendant gear, which will increase start up costs significantly.

thanks in advance for any info

xTNS

Disciple said:
Are you a Dermatologist? If you don't mind me asking.

So is this a franchise?

I forgot the name, but are you part of a spa consulting firm based out of Orange County?

in response to your first question -no, I am a Derm Hygienist -
No - it is not a franchise
and I am located in Culpeper,VA

thenavysurgeon said:
This is an interesting thread.

I'm wondering how these medical spas get their financing initially for equipment, hiring staff, certification of the physical space, the actual building etc.

At some point, I plan to start a plastics practice, and this will be the most obvious hurdle for me.

Anyone want to throw out some numbers on what it took to get their medical spa off the ground?

In my case, we'd have a couple of ORs and all of the attendant gear, which will increase start up costs significantly.

thanks in advance for any info

xTNS
I have run a Med Spa in Northern CA for about 18years and now I am doing it again- in a hospital setting in Culpeper , Va The numbers are demographic and really depend on who is involved,how much energy you can put into it

I forgot to ask - what Demographic area are you in???

pacific northwest

how did you finance your initial operation in CA, to get it off the ground?

bank?
investor group?