Practicing 2 specialties (one of them Derm)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Premedico

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do you know of anyone who has trained in a combined Med/Derm residency program or has done 2 residencies (PEDS/IM/FM and DERM) and has ended up practicing both in some capacity? What is the feasibility of this?
Also, anyone aware of dermatologists who only practice in the inpatient setting?

Members don't see this ad.

Do you know of anyone who has trained in a combined Med/Derm residency program or has done 2 residencies (PEDS/IM/FM and DERM) and has ended up practicing both in some capacity? What is the feasibility of this?
Also, anyone aware of dermatologists who only practice in the inpatient setting?

I do know people who have trained in combined programs and have practiced both in some capacity. The vast majority focus solely on derm. Those with a nearly 100% inpatient derm practice have to (obviously) be linked in with an academic program. Those positions do exist but are rare.

Thanks for your reply.

Could you elaborate on what kind of set up these folks (who practice both) have? Do have separate IM & Derm clinic days/weeks? How is their time divided? Are in academics?

With their permission, would you be able to get me in touch with them?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for your reply.

Could you elaborate on what kind of set up these folks (who practice both) have? Do have separate IM & Derm clinic days/weeks? How is their time divided? Are in academics?

With their permission, would you be able to get me in touch with them?

If they have a significant IM component, it's usually divided into different weeks or different months where they have IM responsibilities vs derm responsibilities. This was in an academic setting as few to zero private practices would let you step away from your derm responsibilities for that period of time

Unfortunately, I don't this person well enough to get you in contact. My recommendation would be to find prominent faculty members within the Derm/IM programs you are interested in. They will likely be the ones with said schedule (or a similar one)

In the last 2-3 years there's been a big surge in so called 'derm hospitalists' and they even now have a society with meetings and stuff. These people do nearly 100% inpatient consult and have been at the forefront of some really interesting literature. If you're interested in this you should read some of the work coming out of UCSF from Lindy Fox and Kanade Shinkai. I think they are both boarded in medicine and dermatology. Their presentations at AAD year were phenomenal.

Reactions: 1 user
In the last 2-3 years there's been a big surge in so called 'derm hospitalists' and they even now have a society with meetings and stuff. These people do nearly 100% inpatient consult and have been at the forefront of some really interesting literature. If you're interested in this you should read some of the work coming out of UCSF from Lindy Fox and Kanade Shinkai. I think they are both boarded in medicine and dermatology. Their presentations at AAD year were phenomenal.

Is there a website where we can see these presentations?