med school saying here: Is it true or false?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Avicenna04

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
"If you register in 3rd year, you will get 'points' even though you don't get in and when you end up applying in 4th year, you will have an advantage"

I heard this from a buddy today. True? or not true?

Is it true that if they see you have applied before they will see you as being commited and give you "points"??

If you've heard this too, tell me what schools.

Cheers,

Members don't see this ad.

Avicenna04 said:
"If you register in 3rd year, you will get 'points' even though you don't get in and when you end up applying in 4th year, you will have an advantage"

I heard this from a buddy today. True? or not true?

Is it true that if they see you have applied before they will see you as being commited and give you "points"??

If you've heard this too, tell me what schools.

Cheers,

I dont understand your question.

Historically, people tend to get in after their 2nd or 3rd time applying (there was a woman who applied and finally got in on her 7th time last year).

That being said, me and others got in at their first try, so I dont think that there is any special points for re-applying. I think people who got in after applying one or twice is because they have learnt what the med school is looking for or that they have gained insight on why they want to become doctors, or perhaps more life experience, which gives them more confidence and maturity.

Did I understand your question right?

Cheers x

shetland said:
I dont understand your question.

Historically, people tend to get in after their 2nd or 3rd time applying (there was a woman who applied and finally got in on her 7th time last year).

That being said, me and others got in at their first try, so I dont think that there is any special points for re-applying. I think people who got in after applying one or twice is because they have learnt what the med school is looking for or that they have gained insight on why they want to become doctors, or perhaps more life experience, which gives them more confidence and maturity.

Did I understand your question right?

Cheers x
I think he means applying in the third year of a four-year program, even if you know you aren't competitive that year, just so they "remember" you.

As far as I know, the previous year's candidacies are simply scrapped and they start over from scratch. There may be individual people who could remember you, but it depends how many times you applied (just one previous time probably wouldn't be too memorable, unless you have some activity or history that is amazingly unique) as well as at what stage you get rejected (if you don't get an interview, the adcomm members never even see your file - just the admissions admin. staff does, and they have no discretionary power AFAIK).

I wouldn't recommend applying in a year when you know you aren't competitive, because if they do remember you it might be as "arrogant" or "having bad judgment" to have actually applied without a real shot. Just my opinion, and I'm not on an adcomm. :oops:

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah you guys got the question.

Are you sure about that? or is that an opinion?

I would think that they keep you on file for a few years after you apply. You're saying there is no record that you applied after you get rejected? Hard to believe.....

Avicenna04 said:
Yeah you guys got the question.

Are you sure about that? or is that an opinion?

I would think that they keep you on file for a few years after you apply. You're saying there is no record that you applied after you get rejected? Hard to believe.....

From what I remember pretty much every school in Canada deletes your application after the cycle. They state this pretty clearly on their websites. The only reason that 2nd/3rd time applicants will have an advantage (other than adding extra years worth of things to the app) is that they will have a better grasp of the interview. Especially at UBC, MAC, UofC, Western etc... where the interviews are completely standardized. If you know the questions before hand you will have a definite advantage.