Here is my dealio...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

omiart

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm an MRT who has only recently realized that I wanted to pursue a career in medicine. Unfortunately, by the time I had this revelation I had already royally screwed over my GPA. I have a bachelors in garbage and my cGPA is 3.49. So I come to you, SDN, restless and disheartened, for advice. How do I do this? Go back to undergrad? Do a masters? Go overseas? What would you do?

Members don't see this ad.

I can barely understand what you are saying. Maybe edit your post to make better sense.

well are you canadian? If so i would suggest going back to undergrad rock those years and apply to the few schools that take those applicants based on 2 years

Members don't see this ad :)
You have a bachelor degree in Garbage??

You could take the MCAT and if you do really good apply to one of the schools that accepts students only based on mcat score.

l advise you to not be so pessimistic. you cGPA is actually not bad...if it demonstrates an upward trend. if this is the case, you can try western, u of t, sask, queens, etc.

well are you canadian? If so i would suggest going back to undergrad rock those years and apply to the few schools that take those applicants based on 2 years

Yes I'm Canadian. So you think its possible to apply after retaking the first two years of undergrad?

You have a bachelor degree in Garbage??

You could take the MCAT and if you do really good apply to one of the schools that accepts students only based on mcat score.

Yes.. I took a joint degree/diploma program at UofT and the Michener Institute. I received a bachelor in medical radiation science, but to be honest I don't believe that the program was rigorous enough to dispense degrees for it. I feel like my degree is a sham.

Do you really think that a good MCAT score could counter a bad GPA?

l advise you to not be so pessimistic. you cGPA is actually not bad...if it demonstrates an upward trend. if this is the case, you can try western, u of t, sask, queens, etc.

I would consider my cGPA terrible for someone who is hoping to apply to medical school in Canada. There isn't any real trend to my GPA. I had ups and downs throughout undergrad. It doesn't really help that my entire senior year was clinical and some electives. I didn't really have a GPA for my senior year.

Yes.. I took a joint degree/diploma program at UofT and the Michener Institute. I received a bachelor in medical radiation science, but to be honest I don't believe that the program was rigorous enough to dispense degrees for it. I feel like my degree is a sham.

Do you really think that a good MCAT score could counter a bad GPA?

I would consider my cGPA terrible for someone who is hoping to apply to medical school in Canada. There isn't any real trend to my GPA. I had ups and downs throughout undergrad. It doesn't really help that my entire senior year was clinical and some electives. I didn't really have a GPA for my senior year.
Thanks you for the post.