Anyone here go to Guelph Biomed?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Uzr

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Did anyone here attend Guelph for Biomedical or McMaster for Life Science? Someone I know is trying to choose between the two. The person will be living on campus but my concerns are more about research oppurtunity.

From what I understand, the Guelph Biomedical program is smaller (120 students) and actually similar to that 'prestigious' McMaster Health Science program and the McMaster Life Science program is similar in structure to other life science programs (lecture/lab/test). This person's first choice was the McMaster Health Science program and the average was good enough (though in most Ontario schools now getting mid-high 90's is a lot easier than it used to be) however I guess the essay short-answer portion of the application was not so they didn't get admission.

I personally went to both campuses and I really liked Guelph. The kids their seemed quite friendly and helpful but I know the uni is known more for producing Vets than students who apply or get into Medical school. They do have a separate biological science complex but I don't know how good health related research positions from there would be compared to McMaster which has hospitals right on campus.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Its always possible to do research in the summer which would make your friend eligible to do research wherever he lives in the summer. I'm sure its possible to find research in Guelph since most likely they will be doing lab based research rather than clinical research (which requires a hospital). Since the program is smaller there probably will be less competition for spots as well.

I went to a UofT campus for Life Science. I've heard great things about McMaster's Health Science program and the Guelph biomedical one seems to follow a similar curriculum minus the prestige part and the hospitals but the problem I had was that UofT's life science program at that campus was really poor. I know the McMaster Life Science one follows the same type of curriculum and also has a very very large class size so it'll have similar issues.

I was unsatisfied with the academics but my problem was more about everything else....I never really got to know my science profs at the UofT campus very well, I was unable to get a research position on campus because of how many people with better grades, and it was really hard to get involved in this program. They say that at that university you're treated like a number and that's probably true for all of them to some extent but after going their I really feel that it's an accurate saying for most minus some of the smarter or fortunate students who do get a research position.

Guelph Biomed Sci was my undergrad. I loved it, and had an opportunity to do lab-based research (they have the vet school, so lots of tissue available - my research was on parthenogenesis using bovine oocytes). Don't know how it compares to the other programs, but it was really nice and friendly. My best friend went to UoT for pre-med and she described insane levels of competitiveness and angst.