Med school prestige, MD vs DO, specialty arguments are completely toxic

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
LMAO! I appreciate the perspective. To be honest, that sounds like something similar to what a younger, teenage version of myself would have done in certain situations. Finding a strong sense of community is one of the primary motivators in my life, and I would gladly sacrifice certain definitions "success" for stronger community bonds. This "security guard vs my peers" analogy isn't something I meditate on frequently. I was using it to try to prove my point, which is: medical school culture can breed or selective for narcissistic, unempathetic, greedy people.

I don't want to get specific about my experiences here for fear of my anonymity. But... well. I've had many interactions like this, but one of the most prominent in my mind was inviting my partner to a private class function. The administration had rented out a local venue and you had to show your badge to get in. My partner arrived a little bit after I did. Upon introducing her to some of my classmates, in front of a group of maybe 6 or 7, the first response is from one of the most vocal students in my class, "how did you get in here?" Accompanied by a very hostile expression. My partner and I are quite, non-confrontational people and we were both very confused if this was actually hostility or we had misinterpreted. We looked at each other with concern. "umm...we..just..." but our conversation was cut short as the student pulled the group a few steps away and started conversing amongst themselves.

That is such a small thing, but it is pervasive. It feels nasty and hurtful. Countless times with peers. With the "mentors" it feels more like a quite, playcating until the problem just goes away. Its minor enough that theres nothing to really be done about it, aside from complain on SDN. (SORRY)

All I'm trying to say is, maybe theres a inverse correlation between prestige and community. At interviews, the community is touted at my school. In practice, its been something thats made me consider a leave of absence or even discontinuing with my education.

Sounds like you have some real douche canoes at your school. My school is nothing like that.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
You can completely dissociate yourself from classmates. Many of the married + kids classmates I had showed up for school but afterwards they did their own thing at home. They weren’t looked down upon or rejected from the rest of the class. Everyone has their choices and responsibilities. Keep yours to yourself, your partner, and some friends you find outside of school. You don’t have to interact with anyone from your school in anything except a professional manner. It’s certainly not worth throwing it all away over

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
You can completely dissociate yourself from classmates. Many of the married + kids classmates I had showed up for school but afterwards they did their own thing at home. They were looked down upon or rejected from the rest of the class. Everyone has their choices and responsibilities. Keep yours to yourself, your partner, and some friends you find outside of school. You don’t have to interact with anyone from your school in anything except a professional manner. It’s certainly not worth throwing it all away over

Yikes.

Reactions: 1 users
LMAO! I appreciate the perspective. To be honest, that sounds like something similar to what a younger, teenage version of myself would have done in certain situations. Finding a strong sense of community is one of the primary motivators in my life, and I would gladly sacrifice certain definitions "success" for stronger community bonds. This "security guard vs my peers" analogy isn't something I meditate on frequently. I was using it to try to prove my point.

I don't want to get specific about my experiences here for fear of my anonymity. But... well. I've had many interactions like this, but one of the most prominent in my mind was inviting my partner to a private class function. The administration had rented out a local venue and you had to show your badge to get in. My partner arrived a little bit after I did. Upon introducing her to some of my classmates, in front of a group of maybe 6 or 7, the first response is from one of the most vocal students in my class, "how did you get in here?" Accompanied by a very hostile expression. My partner and I are quite, non-confrontational people and we were both very confused if this was actually hostility or we had misinterpreted. We looked at each other with concern. "umm...we..just..." but our conversation was cut short as the student pulled the group a few steps away and started conversing amongst themselves.

That is such a small thing, but it is pervasive. It feels nasty and hurtful. Countless times with peers. With the "mentors" it feels more like a quite, playcating until the problem just goes away. Its minor enough that theres nothing to really be done about it, aside from complain on SDN. (SORRY)

All I'm trying to say is, maybe theres a inverse correlation between prestige and community. At interviews, the community is touted at my school. In practice, its been something thats made me consider a leave of absence or even discontinuing with my education.

This just screams immaturity in all sense of the word. Anyone who even has an idea of how the real world is would never do this. I'm sorry you experienced this. I'd feel equally as hurt and, probably, more so angry/frustrated. But it helps to know that only naïve and immature babies act like this.

This just screams immaturity in all sense of the word. Anyone who even has an idea of how the real world is would never do this. I'm sorry you experienced this. I'd feel equally as hurt and, probably, more so angry/frustrated. But it helps to know that only naïve and immature babies act like this.
That’s kind of you to offer support. Thank you. It didn’t bother me much at the time. It was par for the course. Similar things had happened in to me before this. But it hurt my partner. She has a hard time attending school related functions now. So we usually don’t go, and just catch up on old movies or shows instead. Lol.

That’s kind of you to offer support. Thank you. It didn’t bother me much at the time. It was par for the course. Similar things had happened in to me before this. But it hurt my partner. She has a hard time attending school related functions now. So we usually don’t go, and just catch up on old movies or shows instead. Lol.

Yeah I can’t imagine that’s widespread among most med schools. If someone tried to pull everyone away from one person or couple to ignore them and **** at a school event here, the other people would definitely call that out for what it was. Or at least wouldn’t just go along with it.