Med School Chances? Low GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ajzoe_95

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Currently I am a senior at a 4 yr university. Here are the stats

Major: Chemical Eng. switched to Biochem
Overall GPA (w/o recalc): 2.9 ... (w/): 3.1
Scien. GPA: (same as overall)

Gen. chems : A,A,B
Orgo 1,2: B, F, (retake) B
Analytical chem: C
Bio's: A, A, B
Genetic.:C
Physics(engineering): C,C
Pre Calc, Cal.1, Cal.2, Cal.3: A,C,B,B
Mostly A's in humanities/ social science.
*2 semesters left

Extra Curr.'s : collegiate athlete (12-20 hrs week), internship/research at medical examiner's office 2 years, 60+ hrs community service, paid tutor(span/lower level chem)

Most of my C's and F came from my jr. year . Found out I couldn't have kids, abusive relationship, and went into depression. I've wanted to be a medical examiner since I was a kid and have had so much exposure to the field I cant see myself doing anything else. I feel terrible because that one semester really messed me up, but I'm trying to move forward. I know I can specialize in forensic pathology with a D.O but I really want to go M.D. Haven't taken the MCAT yet but would like to know what my chances are? Or other options at least

Members don't see this ad.

Hmmmm....Those grades are not good. You can try anyway.

I applied with a 2.9 cgpa and yea.... 3/5 of my acceptances are full ride MD schools. I only attended 5 II out of 15 due to low funds. Depends on your whole app

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I applied with a 2.9 cgpa and yea.... 3/5 of my acceptances are full ride MD schools. I only attended 5 II out of 15 due to low funds. Depends on your whole app
Where did you apply if I may ask?? My stats will be around here if not >3.0

Where did you apply if I may ask?? My stats will be around here if not >3.0
Too many to list. But off the top of my head I received interviews (the schools that rejected me may not be of interest to you) from Howard, Columbia, Carver, UTSW, UT Rio, Uniformed Services, UCLA-Drew, ARCOM, BCOM, Kansas City (DO), and a few other places. These are the ones off the top of my head that showed me love quickly. I will have a more comprehensive excel sheet list that I will post in the underdog thread at the end of the cycle.

Reactions: 8 users
Too many to list. But off the top of my head I received interviews (the schools that rejected me may not be of interest to you) from Howard, Columbia, Carver, UTSW, UT Rio, Uniformed Services, UCLA-Drew, ARCOM, BCOM, Kansas City (DO), and a few other places. These are the ones off the top of my head that showed me love quickly. I will have a more comprehensive excel sheet list that I will post in the underdog thread at the end of the cycle.
What was your MCAT score? My gpa is low but I have a strong upward trend. Also I have over 2.5 years of research experience.

Zurc at what point do you think a post-bac or SMP is needed for someone with that GPA? And what do you attribute your success to this cycle?

Zurc at what point do you think a post-bac or SMP is needed for someone with that GPA? And what do you attribute your success to this cycle?
If you are close to a 3.0 (3.2-3ish) you should do a post bacc. If you are below a 3.0 then you should without a doubt do a post bacc. An extensive one at that. To answer your other question, I attributed my successful cycle to many things. Mostly my post bacc since that was my weak area. I was advised by a very well know dean at a top school to do a post bacc. I asked him if I should do a SMP or DIY post bacc and he said it's just as effective to take classes for cheap at my undergrad. I was advised to take two years off and do about 40 credits. Due to personal reasons I did 50 in a year. Luckily I did well lol. The post bacc combined with the rest of my app made me very competitive. My AMCAS GPA was a 2.93 or so and I was only asked about my GPA at one MD school. PM me for more info because I know I'm being vague.

Reactions: 6 users
If you are close to a 3.0 (3.2-3ish) you should do a post bacc. If you are below a 3.0 then you should without a doubt do a post bacc. An extensive one at that. To answer your other question, I attributed my successful cycle to many things. Mostly my post bacc since that was my weak area. I was advised by a very well know dean at a top school to do a post bacc. I asked him if I should do a SMP or DIY post bacc and he said it's just as effective to take classes for cheap at my undergrad. I was advised to take two years off and do about 40 credits. Due to personal reasons I did 50 in a year. Luckily I did well lol. The post bacc combined with the rest of my app made me very competitive. My AMCAS GPA was a 2.93 or so and I was only asked about my GPA at one MD school. PM me for more info because I know I'm being vague.
So do you think OP should consider a post-bac or is that MCAT dependent? I'm asking cause you obviously destroyed this cycle so your opinion and advice is very valuable to future students that may find themselves in OP's situation.

Currently I am a senior at a 4 yr university. Here are the stats

Major: Chemical Eng. switched to Biochem
Overall GPA (w/o recalc): 2.9 ... (w/): 3.1
Scien. GPA: (same as overall)

Gen. chems : A,A,B
Orgo 1,2: B, F, (retake) B
Analytical chem: C
Bio's: A, A, B
Genetic.:C
Physics(engineering): C,C
Pre Calc, Cal.1, Cal.2, Cal.3: A,C,B,B
Mostly A's in humanities/ social science.
*2 semesters left

Extra Curr.'s : collegiate athlete (12-20 hrs week), internship/research at medical examiner's office 2 years, 60+ hrs community service, paid tutor(span/lower level chem)

Most of my C's and F came from my jr. year . Found out I couldn't have kids, abusive relationship, and went into depression. I've wanted to be a medical examiner since I was a kid and have had so much exposure to the field I cant see myself doing anything else. I feel terrible because that one semester really messed me up, but I'm trying to move forward. I know I can specialize in forensic pathology with a D.O but I really want to go M.D. Haven't taken the MCAT yet but would like to know what my chances are? Or other options at least
DO route offers grade forgiveness. Your current DO GPA will be higher than a 2.9. Nonetheless Retake anything that is </= to a C and have at least 2 of the classes I have mentioned: anatomy, physio, immuno, and micro Gl

DO route offers grade forgiveness. Your current DO GPA will be higher than a 2.9. Nonetheless Retake anything that is </= to a C and have at least 2 of the classes I have mentioned: anatomy, physio, immuno, and micro Gl
Not anymore. AACOMAS released a statement saying that they will average grades like AMCAS from now on. This means that post-bacs and SMP are going to be the new norm for applicants needed help with their GPA

Reactions: 1 user
Not anymore. AACOMAS released a statement saying that they will average grades like AMCAS from now on. This means that post-bacs and SMP are going to be the new norm for applicants needed help with their GPA
Well that sucks

My advice stands, op. Retake any Clare's with bad grades and try to fit some upper science classes too upper level classes show admissions that you can handle the coursework and have a foundation in the material

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user
What?!!! Man it's getting real out here. DO schools are gonna get harder and harder to get into.

So do you think OP should consider a post-bac or is that MCAT dependent? I'm asking cause you obviously destroyed this cycle so your opinion and advice is very valuable to future students that may find themselves in OP's situation.
Yea, op still needs to do a strong post bacc with a decent MCAT. OP buckle down and get ready for a bumpy ride. You're going to have to really go savage on any class that comes between you and med school. During my post bacc I ended up literally sleeping in the library (brought pillow and little blanket) for about 4 hours before my exams. People thought I was crazy but when you have your dream on the line, you gotta do what you gotta do. Looking back, those sleepless nights were well worth it. Yes the MCAT with be extremely critical but you cannot depend on that alone.

Reactions: 3 users