Low GPA and motherhood

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FitDoc1

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well my situation is so incredibly difficult to explain. I graduated technically in 2011 although I was supposed to in 2010 with a very low gpa. A few years after graduation I started my family. Now I am trying to get back into school I was considering Nursing or PA but my heart is still on the MD/DO track. I am looking into the post bacc program at university of North Carolina in Greensboro. So I guess my question is should I pursue a second bachelors or go through a postbacc? My first degree is in biology. Also are there any mothers who have successfully completed professional school?

Members don't see this ad.

Well, it depends on how low your GPA is. I've attached a file to help you calculate the number of units you'd need to get to a desired GPA, it says "science GPA" but you can def use the table to calculate cGPA if you just enter all of your courses. I think a second bachelor's would only be necessary in the case where your GPA was like 1.0 or something. Otherwise a post bacc+ possibly an SMP would probably be better. Or even a post bacc with like 40-60 credits of straight As+ a decent MCAT score (anything above 510) would be a good way to reinvent your GPA and improve your application chances.
Not sure if I can post links here but here's a blog of a current gen surgery intern who is also a single mother, her story might be instructive: Aspiring Minority Doctor: About Me

Attachments

• Blank_GPA_Calculation_Worksheet.xls
    35 KB · Views: 71
Well my situation is so incredibly difficult to explain. I graduated technically in 2011 although I was supposed to in 2010 with a very low gpa. A few years after graduation I started my family. Now I am trying to get back into school I was considering Nursing or PA but my heart is still on the MD/DO track. I am looking into the post bacc program at university of North Carolina in Greensboro. So I guess my question is should I pursue a second bachelors or go through a postbacc? My first degree is in biology. Also are there any mothers who have successfully completed professional school?
read this:
Goro's advice for pre-meds who need reinvention