URM low gpa, chances at top Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Makeithappen14

Membership Revoked
Removed
5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello I'm new to this forum and I wanted to know what are my chances at a top Medical School (Harvard, Stanford, Wustl). I have a relatively low gpa and even though I'm still considered a sophomore I have been in school for four years. Due to high levels of stress and living with a mental illness, I have dropped a lot more classes than I have passed. When I say a lot, I mean I have a lot of W's on my transcript!!! If I were to apply right now my gpa would be around a 2.2 but I still have two and a half years left of school. So I'm just wondering If I were to get all A's for the remaining of my college career and then go to grad school and receive a 4.0 gpa, what will be my chances? By the way I'm an AA male and will be applying with a disadvantaged background.

As of now...
NO Ec's or Volunteer Hours yet
NO Research yet
& NO Direct Patient Contact yet

Members don't see this ad.

Focus on school and extracurricular activities. Then take the MCAT and see how that goes. You won't really know which schools to apply to till it's time to apply..

Reactions: 1 users
Methinks OP is trolling. Nothing you can do will get you into a top tier medical school once you are that far behind as far as GPA goes.

If you are for real you need to focus on getting better first. Then bring up your undergrad grades so you can finish undergrad with a GPA close to 3.0. get significant research and clinical experience while doing a DIY postbac. Getting a PhD or aNY other graduate degree will not help you get into medical school. And you will need to get above 90+ percentile on the MCAT.

Reactions: 2 users