MDM for New patients - 2 out of 3 vs 3 out of 3?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Steveington

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently went to a coding class but and there was some confusion with new vs established patients.
Using the Elements of Medical Decision Making chart, the Level of MDM for established patients is based on 2 out of 3 elements of MDM. (ie, a 99213 can have low complexity, no data and low risk)

But for a New Patient, is it also based on 2 out of 3 elements (ie a 99203 can have low complexity, no data and low risk)

This is how I have always thought it was. But the instructor said for NEW patients, that to qualify for a particular level of medical decision making you need to have all 3 of the 3 elements of MDM must be met or exceeded.

Is that true? I haven't found anything else online to confirm the 3 out of 3, just the 2 out of 3.

Members don't see this ad.

I just keep it simple and bill everything as a level 4 and keep my money in a Swiss bank account.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I just keep it simple and bill everything as a level 4 and keep my money in a Swiss bank account.
A simple strategery I call "what would Donald Trump do?"

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
I recently went to a coding class but and there was some confusion with new vs established patients.
Using the Elements of Medical Decision Making chart, the Level of MDM for established patients is based on 2 out of 3 elements of MDM. (ie, a 99213 can have low complexity, no data and low risk)

But for a New Patient, is it also based on 2 out of 3 elements (ie a 99203 can have low complexity, no data and low risk)

This is how I have always thought it was. But the instructor said for NEW patients, that to qualify for a particular level of medical decision making you need to have all 3 of the 3 elements of MDM must be met or exceeded.

Is that true? I haven't found anything else online to confirm the 3 out of 3, just the 2 out of 3.

The instructor is wrong.

1677108325393.png

1677108387739.png

Reactions: 3 users