What are your methods for dealing with chatterbox patients?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hungry_Anxiety8703

Reaction score
Especially on a busy day. I've been having a bit of a problem getting behind on busy days because even one or two of these types of patients can throw off the flow and once I'm behind it is nearly impossible to catch up again.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
definitely a tough problem…If you find a fool proof solution let me know. I find that these patients are also more likely to complete patient reviews. I do one of two things.

1. Pull the Midwest move of slapping the knees and say… let’s do (insert plan) and pick this conversation up next time

2. Say in Midwest accent “ope must be going, take care, and tell your family hi”

Reactions: 3 users
I have emailed my MA from the room telling her to come save me. But with that being said it is a hard problem.
I thought about different ways to get someone to come in and tell me I have a call from the ER to get me out in really bad cases when people can't take a hint.
But basically I stop contributing to the conversation and listen until the next breath and say something like "I am sorry" or "that is neat" or whatever they are talking about warrants. Then I recap what the plan is and open the door. At that point I should be good, if not the MA comes in and I let her deal with them.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Fake a phone call from 'the ER'

Reactions: 1 users
"Welp, our time is up." [stands up and heads towards door]

Reactions: 3 users
A lot of things can help in my exp...

-say, "well, I need to take care of a few other patients, so we will see you back soon..." or "ok, we have run over time on this appointment, but we can talk more next visit.."

-use non-verbal clues most people will understand: take your gloves off, lower their chair, tell them they can go ahead and put socks and shoes on, stand up, wash your hands, tell MA follow up duration and closing instructions, turn away from pt and towards door, etc. Some people need a couple, but their light bulb that the visit is ending will usually click... just repeat clues as needed and do them more or less flagrantly and pay attention to ppl's responses. I'm giving you gold here.

-get them moving towards the check out... "your PT form will be at the desk; I need to go sign it," "they will get you my card and we can talk more at follow-up," "I need to go sign your Norco and she'll show you the boot," etc

-avoid scheduling known time-consuming or problem pts (wheelchair, wound, new, pre op, post op 1 or 2, etc) before lunch or end of day

-be BUSY... seems illogical, but it works. If ppl are scheduled out a bit, can't immediately r/s if they miss appt, see a busy wait room, run full staff, etc... then most realize you're in demand and value your time. If youre new, structure 2-3 busier days over 5 slow ones; it is hard to get respect with no MA and clearly no other patients in the office. If clearly busy, then it is much less likely the pts and fam try to keep asking "one more question" or being demanding... most are happy to have limited time + advice from an in-demand doc.

-the fake MA call from the ER or another doctor or hospital... or the legit reminder from MA that you have other patients waiting should be a last resort seldom needed if you do the other things right, but it's a trump card... yeah. Have a code to trigger that.

-have gray hair (I don't yet, but everything from talking surgery to pt trust to billing to copping out of going to happy hour with your staff or ASC nurses since you go to bed at 9pm just works better with gray hair). There is obviously the other extreme of looking 80+ and that you should have retired years ago. If you dont have the salt n pepper or other signs of not being young anymore, then the next best thing is to just dress nice, wear white coat, have glasses, etc... but in the end, it's mainly just ideal to carry yourself well. YOU GET WHAT YOU ALLOW.

....between these things and the subtle tactics to give impression of longer appointments and better quality (i posted awhile ago and many ppl added), those are tremendously important skills for anyone who deals with customers/clients/patients/etc to grasp. Many struggle for decades and decades. Learn and practice :thumbup:

1670168568473.png

Last edited:
“Oh no, the Taco Bell is kicking in!”, and then I run out the room clutching my stomach.

• Haha
I have my assistant open the door and say “doctor excuse me, your parole officer is on the phone”.

Reactions: 2 users
I have my assistant open the door and say “doctor excuse me, there are some memes that need to be deleted”.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users