MD vs. DO thread-- Final Resting Place

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
When you do compare make sure to note that DO has their own programs which only DOs are allowed. The ones who didn't get matched in the DO program would then go into the allo side since DO match comes before MD match (of course there are those who apply solely to MD). In addition if they do match in DO, their app is automatically withdrawn from the MD match. In addition to all this, the total number of DO students are much smaller than MD students in general. It is difficult to do a comparison when you have so many factors involved.

Members don't see this ad.

it seems to me, from hanging around these threads, that everyone who applied to MD schools as well jumps ship as soon as an MD school comes calling. that tells me something about what people really feel about going the DO route.

it seems to me, from hanging around these threads, that everyone who applied to MD schools as well jumps ship as soon as an MD school comes calling. that tells me something about what people really feel about going the DO route.

Thats not true at all. There are plenty of people who have chosen to apply to DO only (and not just b/c their scores were low) and also people who choose to go DO even while holding an MD acceptance. In addition, you can't just assume that if somoeone chooses MD school X over DO school Y, that it was because of the degree. There are so many other factors that go in to choosing a school, and personally, I can say that the degree wasn't even on my radar.

Members don't see this ad :)

Its hard to know what factors influence those decisions..Im sure the percieved "DO stigma" or lack of knowledge of the degree later down the road commonly has something to do with it. Oh well, for every person that jumps ship there will be one more person getting an acceptance that is more committed/excited to be where they are! I'd rather have classmates that are happy to be in my class than wishing they had an MD acceptance their whole time at school.

I personally don't give a rats a** whether some people jump ship for the MD, let em go. like I said I probably wouldn't enjoy their company as much as someone more committed to the DO route or more importantly a school that fits them best.

Last edited:

It's because they're worried about how they'll explain their credentials at a cocktail party. What they don't realize is that no one gives a rat's ass.

It's because they're worried about how they'll explain their credentials at a cocktail party. What they don't realize is that no one gives a rat's ass.

At a cocktail party, I'd just say "I'm a doctor". Just like I'd say "medical school" instead of "osteopathic medical school".

All the same. ;)

At a cocktail party, I'd just say "I'm a doctor". Just like I'd say "medical school" instead of "osteopathic medical school".

All the same. ;)

Ah, but what if you get: "Wow. An MD?"

And whenever you say you go to medical school, it's without fail followed up with: "Where?"

I realize once you're a fully licensed doc (or in residency for that matter), you just say your specialty. But in the period leading up to it, you may have to get a little creative to avoid getting into some annoying conversation where you end up trying to qualify yourself.

And whenever you say you go to medical school, it's without fail followed up with: "Where?"

I realize once you're a fully licensed doc (or in residency for that matter), you just say your specialty. But in the period leading up to it, you may have to get a little creative to avoid getting into some annoying conversation where you end up trying to qualify yourself.

I think your first hypothetical response isnt very likely. People arent going to ask you something they already assume is true. If you say doctor, 99% of people will automatically assume MD.

Your 2nd question i could totally see coming up a lot, but its not that hard to avoid the md/do discussion

Where do you go to school?

Des Moines Univeristy. Its a medical school in Iowa.
Western University....its in pomona, CA
AT Still Univeristy...
Pacific Northwest....
Midwestern University....
Touro University...
Rocky Vista University...
Nova Southeastern University.....
Pikeville College....
Kansas City University....

And if you go to a school that is just named after the City + College of Osteopathic Medicine you just explain very easily that its just another pathway in the US to becoming a doctor, and thats the end of the convo.

You make a good point.

However, why would one ask "an MD?" if they're unaware that there's another option anyway? They would just assume it's MD, then. And vice versa; if they do ask "an MD?" they probably know there's another option: DO. In which case the person probably has some idea what it is.

Also, how many cocktails are we talking here? :laugh:

great minds think alike, right semilcolon? :laugh:

You make a good point.

However, why would one ask "an MD?" if they're unaware that there's another option anyway? They would just assume it's MD, then. And vice versa; if they do ask "an MD?" they probably know there's another option: DO. In which case the person probably has some idea what it is.

Also, how many cocktails are we talking here? :laugh:

:laugh: A lot of cocktails.

My guess was that some may ask MD not to clarify MD/DO, but to separate the chiropracters of the world (among other professions) who call themselves doctor. I guess you could say "I'm a physician."

There's always: oh, you're an MD? I'm a medical doctor, yes. :shifty:

Members don't see this ad :)
I think your first hypothetical response isnt very likely. People arent going to ask you something they already assume is true. If you say doctor, 99% of people will automatically assume MD.

Your 2nd question i could totally see coming up a lot, but its not that hard to avoid the md/do discussion

Where do you go to school?

Des Moines Univeristy. Its a medical school in Iowa.
Western University....its in pomona, CA
AT Still Univeristy...
Pacific Northwest....
Midwestern University....
Touro University...
Rocky Vista University...
Nova Southeastern University.....
Pikeville College....
Kansas City University....

And if you go to a school that is just named after the City + College of Osteopathic Medicine you just explain very easily that its just another pathway in the US to becoming a doctor, and thats the end of the convo.
its even better if you go to a school that also has an allopathic school. you just say "i go to UMDNJ, Michigan state ....:D"

Im in no way ashamed to tell people Im going to an osteopathic school. It just saves time trying to explain to every soul on the planet what a DO is...

There's always: oh, you're an MD? I'm a medical doctor, yes. :shifty:

I think it's pretty rare for someone to mention degree in a conversation, especially if they you preface with the words, "physician" or "medical student." However, if someone does bring degree into the conversation, this probably implies that they know there is more than one degree for physicians. In that case, I would guess they know or at least have heard of DO's. So if someone asks, "Oh, you're an MD?" I might respond with, "No, I'm actually a DO." The only way to answer that direct question is to be completely factual.

Your response, while it avoids bringing up osteopathic medicine, might not be legally correct. Technically, the MD degree goes with "Medical Doctor" and the DO degree goes with "Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine." It might slide in casual conversation, but probably wouldn't work in a court of law.

What's true for me right now is that, "I'm a 2nd year medical student." That's generally how I respond. Usually, people then ask where I go to school, I respond, "Kansas City, MO." Sometimes, people will ask what school I attend, in which case, I simply tell them, "KCUMB, previously known as UHS." Locally, many people actually recognize the name and know what I'm talking about. However, if I'm out of state, people usually just go, "Oh" and the conversation generally shifts elsewhere, usually to, "what specialty are you interested in practicing when you finish school?" If they say they never heard of the school, I tell them there are three medical schools in the Kansas City area and name them. If I feel it'll be meaningful to the conversation, I might say specifically that my school is an osteopathic medical school. In any case, I've never had anyone question that I am going to be a physician or anything like that. Never had any issue with anything related to cocktail conversation on this matter...then again, I tend not to like small talk and avoid meaningless banter in general.

Last edited:
like I said I probably wouldn't enjoy their company as much as someone more committed to the DO route

Maybe they wouldn't enjoy your company as much, since you claim that your 7 on verbal was your reason for not applying MD. Real committed, man.:slap:

Maybe they wouldn't enjoy your company as much, since you claim that your 7 on verbal was your reason for not applying MD. Real committed, man.:slap:

A low score on the MCAT might impede someone from applying to MD schools but that doesn't mean that they are not committed to the osteopathic philosophy. There are some who would apply only to Caribbean schools with their low MCAT score because they want nothing to do with D.O.

woah there, I was going to apply to all the schools I did in addition to a few MD schools early on. Does that mean I prefer one over the other? no. Does that assume that I would have jumped ship from a DO school I liked just for the 'MD' degree? absolutely not. You assume too much :nono:

I think it's pretty rare for someone to mention degree in a conversation, especially if they you preface with the words, "physician" or "medical student." However, if someone does bring degree into the conversation, this probably implies that they know there is more than one degree for physicians. In that case, I would guess they know or at least have heard of DO's. So if someone asks, "Oh, you're an MD?" I might respond with, "No, I'm actually a DO." The only way to answer that direct question is to be completely factual.

Your response, while it avoids bringing up osteopathic medicine, might not be legally correct. Technically, the MD degree goes with "Medical Doctor" and the DO degree goes with "Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine." It might slide in casual conversation, but probably wouldn't work in a court of law.

What's true for me right now is that, "I'm a 2nd year medical student." That's generally how I respond. Usually, people then ask where I go to school, I respond, "Kansas City, MO." Sometimes, people will ask what school I attend, in which case, I simply tell them, "KCUMB, previously known as UHS." Locally, many people actually recognize the name and know what I'm talking about. However, if I'm out of state, people usually just go, "Oh" and the conversation generally shifts elsewhere, usually to, "what specialty are you interested in practicing when you finish school?" If they say they never heard of the school, I tell them there are three medical schools in the Kansas City area and name them. If I feel it'll be meaningful to the conversation, I might say specifically that my school is an osteopathic medical school. In any case, I've never had anyone question that I am going to be a physician or anything like that. Never had any issue with anything related to cocktail conversation on this matter...then again, I tend not to like small talk and avoid meaningless banter in general.
MD actually means Doctor of Medicine. Medical doctor is just a term people use to differentiate a physician from a PH.D. This being the case a DO can, in good concience, refer to him/her self as a medical doctor.

MD actually means Doctor of Medicine. Medical doctor is just a term people use to differentiate a physician from a PH.D. This being the case a DO can, in good concience, refer to him/her self as a medical doctor.

That's right.

Bring on the cocktail party.

i'm just curious, and dont bash me for this, but before i really did any research into the DO route i thought to myself "if they are completely equal, why are the requirements lower?" I personally am applying both MD/DO so i'm not putting it down in any way (i am actually really looking forward to going to western, assuming i get accepted), but is there any specific reason as to why the general gpa/mcat for accepted students is a good deal lower for DO schools than for MD schools?

personally i don't think how you do in Ochem/Gchem/Physics/MCATs determines how good of a physician you will be, but i'm just asking because it seems like if i had to explain MD vs DO to someone and they had a stat sheet of matriculated students for both that would be the main question asked.

Last edited:
i'm just curious, and dont bash me for this, but before i really did any research into the DO route i thought to myself "if they are completely equal, why are the requirements lower?" I personally am applying both MD/DO so i'm not putting it down in any way (i am actually really looking forward to going to western, assuming i get accepted), but is there any specific reason as to why the general gpa/mcat for accepted students is a good deal lower for DO schools than for MD schools?

personally i don't think how you do in Ochem/Gchem/Physics/MCATs determines how good of a physician you will be, but i'm just asking because it seems like if i had to explain MD vs DO to someone and they had a stat sheet of matriculated students for both that would be the main question asked.

There are a few reasons the scores are lower. Most of them have to do with the fact that people want to avoid all the possible conversation/explanation issues (already mentioned in this thread) that result from the fact that many people don't know that DOs even exist. So if someone gets accepted to both DO and MD, they often choose MD because it is more familiar. That is just one explanation.

Another explanation is that DO schools have become a draw for people who are non-traditional applicants (like me) who are older and have had other careers and were not always planning on being a physician. Because they weren't always planning to apply to med school, they may not have always paid as much attention to getting an A in every class.

There are many reasons but these are just a few.

There are a few reasons the scores are lower. Most of them have to do with the fact that people want to avoid all the possible conversation/explanation issues (already mentioned in this thread) that result from the fact that many people don't know that DOs even exist. So if someone gets accepted to both DO and MD, they often choose MD because it is more familiar. That is just one explanation.

Another explanation is that DO schools have become a draw for people who are non-traditional applicants (like me) who are older and have had other careers and were not always planning on being a physician. Because they weren't always planning to apply to med school, they may not have always paid as much attention to getting an A in every class.

There are many reasons but these are just a few.

That. And, a quick primer on statistical interpretation, taken from PandaBear's Blog:

While the objective qualifications of allopathic matriculants (MCAT scores, GPA) are indeed slightly higher on average than their osteopathic counterparts, generally, if you’re not qualified for admission to an allopathic medical school you will not get into an osteopathic one either. Sure, the fierce partisans are quick to point out the higher average scores but these are the result of outliers. Like most things, the subjective qualifications distribute themselves normally and it is only at the extremes where the curves don’t overlap. For my part, since I was an average applicant (at least by MCAT scores and BPCM GPA), almost half of osteopathic matriculants had better qualifications.

i'm just curious, and dont bash me for this, but before i really did any research into the DO route i thought to myself "if they are completely equal, why are the requirements lower?"

I would say recognition by pre-meds, pure and simple. There are a lot fewer schools, therefore a lot less knowledge of the degree. Thats the impression I got especially being on the west coast/pacific northwest. If you look at the map of DO schools this will make sense. A pre-med applicant who has been working their butt off for 4 years is going to apply to what they know --> "MD". A "DO" is unfamiliar to a lot of my buds that are going into medicine, so they assume its not for them. Its an interesting phenomenon.

However, the upward trend for matriculating students is pretty staggering. In 5 years (my humble estimate :rolleyes:) the admissions requirements at a lot of the top DO schools will be very similar to what you see at allopathic schools these days. Heck, a lot of the schools are already up there gpa-wise (3.5-3.6+) and western has a 28 MCAT average or something like that.

generally, if you're not qualified for admission to an allopathic medical school you will not get into an osteopathic one either.

ehhh, thats a bit of a stretch..but true a fair amount of the time!

Well, then, I guess I stand corrected. I probably wouldn't answer in that way, though. I'd just say I'm a DO [insert specialty here], such as, "No, I'm a DO cardiologist working at General Hospital."

I've never had anyone ask me, "oh, so you're an MD (or MD student), right?" :rolleyes:

I don't know what this response has to do with my comment, but I'll say this...

you're not a doctor, so you've presumably never responded with "I'm a doctor" at a cocktail party. Saying you're a medical student is an entirely different response, and one that I wouldn't expect to be met with "an MD student?" I already said that medical student is met with "what school?"

You're not tracking this conversation very well.

I don't know what this response has to do with my comment, but I'll say this...

you're not a doctor, so you've presumably never responded with "I'm a doctor" at a cocktail party. Saying you're a medical student is an entirely different response, and one that I wouldn't expect to be met with "an MD student?" I already said that medical student is met with "what school?"

Oh good grief. If you don't want to open it up to discussion, then just say that you are a physician (or name your specialty, such as, "I'm a cardiologist") from the get go. Given that, I don't think anyone is going to ask you if you are an MD and if they do, then they know there are two degrees for a physician. Many of my good friends are attending physicians (I'm a non-trad) and at every social event I've been to, nobody as asked about the degree. Nobody.

You are thinking I've had no exposure to these types of things... that is just not true.

Perhaps you are right. I'm too busy to be involved in this banter anyway. Go forth and discuss meaningless stuff... I can pretty much guarantee none of the stuff in this thread is going to be much of a concern post-pre-med.

Last edited:
If SDN doesn't bring me a bit of much needed levity in times of stress!
I laughed laughed hard when I read spicedmanna, your legal proclamation about DO's not being able to call themselves medical doctors. I'm still laughing!!

But now that we've settled pre-meds aren't clamouring to MD school so they can capitalize on the patented "medical doctor" lead in at parties.. :laugh:

I chose the DO route and my school with long-researched and calculated intent.
And if we pre-DO's, DO medical students, and DO's take the time to explain to our peers at social gatherings what Osteopathic Medicine is, we are doing the profession a favor. Friendly introductions beget more professional exposure in the laypopulation.

My take on the pre-med debackle, the conundrum that many college students find themselves in; they don't want to be part of a minority party, they absolutely don't want to be stigmatized or even threatened with stigmatization (and why should they?, high school is over!), but maybe most importantly they don't quite fully grasp the history and force of politics. There's all that at play, but it's largely the unconscious effect that is being registered, fueled by one principal facet: "DO's must be inferior because the admissions process has different criteria". I'm a non-trad like slim78, I've always liked the underdog, and I know that belonging to a group label isn't nearly as powerful as being a big fish in a small pond, exercising your perogative, talent, and ambition to serve...
apply it to whatever. Group thinking is largely lazy, unless it's steered (by you). And pre-meds aren't in the drivers seat on this matter, just unintentionally getting caught up and propogating echos of the past, IMO.

you sound like an English major. am i right?

I'm glad I could provide some comedic relief, Lovepark. That's something useful. :) I was, of course, thinking more about how to answer such a question during a malpractice case, but I think I might have mixed up some of my recollections or facts, unsurprising, perhaps, given the gazillion bits of knowledge I have to stuff into my head for tomorrow's final. Forgive my error. I guess the feedback I'm getting is that it was at least humorous.

For the record, I have no desire to, nor do I often see a reason to, avoid discussing my degree. I consciously chose to do what I am doing. End of story.

I'm glad I could provide some comedic relief, Lovepark. That's something useful. :) I was, of course, thinking more about how to answer such a question during a malpractice case, but I think I might have mixed up some of my recollections or facts, unsurprising, perhaps, given the gazillion bits of knowledge I have to stuff into my head for tomorrow's final. Forgive my error. I guess the feedback I'm getting is that it was at least humorous.

For the record, I have no desire to, nor do I often see a reason to, avoid discussing my degree. I consciously chose to do what I am doing. End of story.

Well I'm laughing with you :p
Good luck on the final, by the way!! Taking breaks on SDN to break up the brain coma from too much textbook reading? Me too! lol.

The number one reason is market forces. More people apply to MD schools than DO schools. Below are my own opinions as to why.

1. There are more MD schools than DO schools, especially on the West Coast. Many people don't know about the DO degree and a typical premed from UC or Cal State somewhere with a 3.8 and 32 will apply to MD schools because familiarity breeds security (this isn't the only reason).
2. A lot of people are turned off by the "DO philosophy," and those I've talked to who've heard about it think it's some holistic mumbo jumbo. They're misinformed. The truth is there is no philosophy. The only difference between an MD and DO education that I know of is DO schools teach OMM on top of everything else.
3. Cost. In general, DO schools cost more than MD schools. Why go to a 40k/year school when you can go instate for half of that.
4. Some people simply think the DO degree is inferior. They'll point to the lower entrance requirements, which if you followed my reasons has become, to some extent, a self perpetuating thing. It's opened the door for people who just have lower stats and apply DO because they stand a good chance of getting in. Or they'll point to the grade replacement, because some people who earned excellent stats the first time around will have a problem sitting in the same class as a non-trad with a 2.8 undergrad and a 4.0 postbacc.

personally i don't think how you do in Ochem/Gchem/Physics/MCATs determines how good of a physician you will be
I agree, but it is an indicator of work ethic and science ability, and I personally don't like this rationale because it sounds like an excuse for doing poorly. Then again, I don't think an explanation on either side will "sound right" anyway. The 4.0 student will sound like a smug *******, and the 2.8 student will sound like an insecure twit. The most important thing is being comfortable with your choice of school.

but i'm just asking because it seems like if i had to explain MD vs DO to someone and they had a stat sheet of matriculated students for both that would be the main question asked.

What you're suggesting is a matter of pride. Approach it from a practical standpoint. Ask yourself if [insert specialty] physicians with a DO degree make the same as those with a MD degree. Ask yourself if they have the same scope of practice and responsibilities. I live in Southern California; I volunteered at a local hospital for a year and a half, where I met a number of DO's, and shadowed a DO physician in San Diego. These experiences answered both my questions, and since then I've been comfortable with the DO route.

I've had classmates @ my postbacc school ask where I've been accepted. Some of them who know how I do in class respect my choice, regardless of what they think about DO schools. Some have flat out told me that DO's don't get enough respect, don't get paid the same, or whatever their reasons, and they're full of **** because I've seen DO's at hospitals, and my experiences trump their second hand knowledge. My friends congratulated me when they found out. My parents are glad I'm moving on with my life. My point is, everyone has an opinion, and that's why you should look into the facts to keep things level.

The number one reason is market forces. More people apply to MD schools than DO schools. Below are my own opinions as to why.

1. There are more MD schools than DO schools, especially on the West Coast. Many people don't know about the DO degree and a typical premed from UC or Cal State somewhere with a 3.8 and 32 will apply to MD schools because familiarity breeds security (this isn't the only reason).
2. A lot of people are turned off by the "DO philosophy," and those I've talked to who've heard about it think it's some holistic mumbo jumbo. They're misinformed. The truth is there is no philosophy. The only difference between an MD and DO education that I know of is DO schools teach OMM on top of everything else.
3. Cost. In general, DO schools cost more than MD schools. Why go to a 40k/year school when you can go instate for half of that.
4. Some people simply think the DO degree is inferior. They'll point to the lower entrance requirements, which if you followed my reasons has become, to some extent, a self perpetuating thing. It's opened the door for people who just have lower stats and apply DO because they stand a good chance of getting in. Or they'll point to the grade replacement, because some people who earned excellent stats the first time around will have a problem sitting in the same class as a non-trad with a 2.8 undergrad and a 4.0 postbacc.

I agree, but it is an indicator of work ethic and science ability, and I personally don't like this rationale because it sounds like an excuse for doing poorly. Then again, I don't think an explanation on either side will "sound right" anyway. The 4.0 student will sound like a smug *******, and the 2.8 student will sound like an insecure twit. The most important thing is being comfortable with your choice of school.

What you're suggesting is a matter of pride. Approach it from a practical standpoint. Ask yourself if [insert specialty] physicians with a DO degree make the same as those with a MD degree. Ask yourself if they have the same scope of practice and responsibilities. I live in Southern California; I volunteered at a local hospital for a year and a half, where I met a number of DO's, and shadowed a DO physician in San Diego. These experiences answered both my questions, and since then I've been comfortable with the DO route.

I've had classmates @ my postbacc school ask where I've been accepted. Some of them who know how I do in class respect my choice, regardless of what they think about DO schools. Some have flat out told me that DO's don't get enough respect, don't get paid the same, or whatever their reasons, and they're full of **** because I've seen DO's at hospitals, and my experiences trump their second hand knowledge. My friends congratulated me when they found out. My parents are glad I'm moving on with my life. My point is, everyone has an opinion, and that's why you should look into the facts to keep things level.

A well written post cheezman. And a late congrats on your acceptance. :thumbup:

Just thinking about how the anesthesiologists at my hospital are abbreviated "MDA." Which, I guess, would make the osteopathic equivalent a "DOA"?

Just thinking about how the anesthesiologists at my hospital are abbreviated "MDA." Which, I guess, would make the osteopathic equivalent a "DOA"?
Where exactly are they abbreviated MDA? For administrative purposes? On paper work? On their ID tags? I'm assuming that their coats, if they wear one, still say MD after their names, right?

Where exactly are they abbreviated MDA? For administrative purposes? On paper work? On their ID tags? I'm assuming that their coats, if they wear one, still say MD after their names, right?

Just on paperwork, where they need to specify anesthesiologists versus nurse anesthetists (MDA or CRNA). They don't tend to wear coats, and their ID's just say "MD - Anesthesia."

To add my two cents to the actual topic of this thread, I think most people who make decisions on MD or DO school base their decisions largely on the price and location of schools. That's true in my case. I'd happily go to LECOM-B, without a second thought. But if I'm accepted to my in-state school, which is allopathic, I'll go there, because I won't have to uproot my family, and it's a little cheaper (about $5k/year). There just aren't osteopathic options very close to home for me.

That. And, a quick primer on statistical interpretation, taken from PandaBear's Blog:

While the objective qualifications of allopathic matriculants (MCAT scores, GPA) are indeed slightly higher on average than their osteopathic counterparts, generally, if you're not qualified for admission to an allopathic medical school you will not get into an osteopathic one either. quote]
not true, an applicant with a 3.5/27 ect. will probably not get into an MD school but is competetive at every DO school in the country.

You know what the last couple of posts made me think of?

I've got big balls
I've got big balls
And they're such big balls
Fancy big balls
And he's got big balls
And she's got big balls
(But we've got the biggest balls of them all)

here is a recent conversation i had which highlights the difficulty of explaining the DO schools

Uncle: congratulations, I heard that you got into medical school
me: thank you
uncle: so, where did you get in
me: UMDNJ school of osteopathic medicine
uncle: osteopathic medicine, what's that?
me: it's medical school just they have a slightly more holistic philosophy
uncle: (confused) oh, so you are going to be a homeopath?
me: no it's regular med school just a slightly different philosophy. also we learn manipulative teqniques.
uncle: so...it is like a chiropracter?
me: no it is medical school, I will be a doctor
uncle: but you wont be able to do surgery or things like that, will you?
me: (banging my head against the wall at this point) yes DO's can do surgery
uncle: so why dont you just go to a regular med school
me: I applied to "regular" med schools also
uncle: but you didn't get in ?
me: not yet
uncle: so is it easier to get into DO schools?
me: (hesitantly) a bit
uncle: (eyes narrowed suspiciosly) hmm.... i see

next conversation with random relative/friend
relative/friend: congrats on getting into medical school
me: thanks
relative/friend: so where did you get in
me: I got into UMDNJ :D

Reactions: 1 user
here is a recent conversation i had which highlights the difficulty of explaining the DO schools

me: no it's regular med school just a slightly different philosophy. also we learn manipulative teqniques.

I think you messed up as soon as you said "holistic". It isn't really...

I can soooo relate

well, like i said, i'm applying DO so you didn't need to sell me, i was just curious as to why the stats are different, and I think if i lived on the east coast that i wouldn't think DOs are so unknown (right?) but out here if you talk about DO to anyone but a premed student they probably won't know what you're talking about (also live in socal)... In that sense it seems that in the coming years as it becomes mroe and more popular there won't be a question, seems like eventually (dunno, maybe 10 years down the line) the MD/DO schools will merge somewhat... either way thanks for the info, it makes perfect sense

a bit off topic, but as far as DO schools go, is there some sort of ranking system that lists the DO schools, i mean either way i would go where i felt the best fit, but just curious...

***is there a place to get DO stats, like number of students applied/matriculated per year, just want to see how it's gone up in the past 5 years***

***is there a place to get DO stats, like number of students applied/matriculated per year, just want to see how it's gone up in the past 5 years***

There is a DO equivalent to the MSAR out there, I forgot what its called. That will tell you last year's stats on stuff like that. The school's websites also have some info about such things if you dig deep enough.

No ranking system. A few of the DO schools are in the USA Today rankings (MSU, TCOM, WVSOM??) mixed in with all of the MD schools but thats about it. I ranked the schools in my own head after visiting, that seems to work well :D