MD vs. DO thread-- Final Resting Place

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi there,

Before I begin, I want to say that I am neither a MD or DO student. I will be applying to MD schools, only because this is what my country offers. I do want to comment on the DO vs MD debate in the US:

It is unfortunate that there is a stigma associated with being a D.O. You have probably heard people(pre-meds) saying that the M.D. is superior to the D.O. You probably also heard that D.O students are the ones who were not good enough to get accepted to M.D. medical schools.

Is this all true? I personally don't care. More importantly, your patient's wont care either. No one will care at the end of the day. No one will care if you did your M.D training in the Carribean either, but thats another story.

What does matter is how medically competent you are. At the end of the day, it is all about whether or not you are good at your job, and this is not determined by your MCAT, GPA, research experience, or EC's that you compiled when applying for Medical schools many years ago. This will be long forgotten once you actually are in the hospital, facing a patient in distress.

People need to understand that Medical schools select students based on variables that do not hold much weight when it comes to actually practicing Medicine.

If you think otherwise, then please prove to me that a student with a higher GPA or MCAT score will turn out to be a better doctor. Good luck with that.

P.S - I will greatly appreciate if MODS can duplicate this thread to the Pre-Allo thread.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Interesting question. I can't believe that nobody has ever pondered this before!

Just kidding, although that was laced with as much sarcasm as I could muster. Do a search on SDN - this topic is discussed daily. I'm sure that nearly every DO candidate ponders this at some point or another.

Interesting question. I can't believe that nobody has ever pondered this before!

Just kidding, although that was laced with as much sarcasm as I could muster. Do a search on SDN - this topic is discussed daily. I'm sure that nearly every DO candidate ponders this at some point or another.

Thanks for the pointless comment!

This post is not a question, but rather my take on the debate between the MD and DO.

I don't need to do a search on SDN, I have done enough research myself. I wanted to provide my input, and help other people on this forum end the discrimination against DO's.

Members don't see this ad :)

This post is not a question, but rather my take on the debate between the MD and DO.

I don't need to do a search on SDN, I have done enough research myself. I wanted to provide my input, and help other people on this forum end the discrimination against DO's.

wow, chill out for a second, what was mentioned is true, nearly every md vs do thread preaches the same philosophy that you initially described, and in truth there is no need to start yet ANOTHER thread to start up another crazed/heated discussion

There are many people doing the same. I have my own explanation on my blog, in my signature. Lots of DO students and even some residents/attendings post in the MD v. DO threads... basically, a lot of people are trying to educate pre-meds about the DO thing. Your sentiment is in the right place, but your post is redundant to those of us who have been on the forums a while. :)

In the guys defense, your post reiterates thousands of similar posts on similar threads. But since we're on the subject,

People will choose what they want. But if they overlook the end result, which is that DO's are medical physicans with unrestricted practice rights and are paid as such, and decide to limit their options because of some perceived stigma or because they want the MD initials, or some other stupid reason, then they are doing themselves a disservice.

There are only two reasons you should limit yourself to US MD schools
1. You are absolutely, without a doubt, competitive for US MD schools and have no desire to learn OMM.
2. It is your first application cycle and you have no desire to learn OMM.

Otherwise it is a waste of time and money to continue applying to schools when you could be on your way to becoming a physician.

People will say what they're going to say but it is all about the end result. Premeds should remember that.

OH FREAKY HELLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WHY on earth would you RESURRECT this flipping thread to say the same ole ****????? OMG, GIVE IT A REST ALREADY!!!!!!!!!!!
Its the same freaky post over and over and over again. Just LET IT DIE!!!!!!!!!! UGH.:mad:

OH FREAKY HELLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WHY on earth would you RESURRECT this flipping thread to say the same ole ****????? OMG, GIVE IT A REST ALREADY!!!!!!!!!!!
Its the same freaky post over and over and over again. Just LET IT DIE!!!!!!!!!! UGH.:mad:

I was thinking the exact same thing a second before I scrolled down and saw this post. Yes, let's move on.