MD/MBA & DO/MBA ..Jobs after intern year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sixteenstones

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you want to go from internship directly into a job say with an insurance company or biotech company, how would you go about finding a position. Will anyone hire you with only an internship under your belt and little real world MBA experience. Any ideas?

Members don't see this ad.

A lot of it is going to depend upon networking and knowing what types of opportunities are available and what part of the country you are in. A great resource in Atlanta is www.atlantabiotechnetwork.org or you could just speak with any of the MD/MBA students or MD/MBAs in the city that you are living in. Another possibility would be to consult with a healthcare recruiter.

I'd be happy to post your resume on md-mba.org if you are interested. I could make a section for other MD/MBAs to do so as well.

If you're completing your internship, I would recommend taking step 3 and becoming fully licensed if you haven't already done so.

It depends on what you are looking for. Are you an MD/MBA or MD?

The industry that seems to pick up MDs straight out of school or after just a year of internship are consulting, banking, maybe biotech and pharma. Understand that the first two, especially banking, might just be interested in having someone with an MD (client based business thus to impress clients and get more business) than your actual medical knowledge.

From my internship recruiting experience this year, consulting (usually the "big four"- McKinsey, BCG, Bain, Booz) and banking (the powerhouses- Goldman, MorganStanley, Merrill, Citigroup etc) were very gun-ho on MDs especially MD/MBAs. They all have websites to submit apps. If interested, course through some.

Pharma and biotech were a little more cautious often recruiting MD/MBAs with undergrad business degree and/or business experience particularly in banking and consulting. They also seem to prefer experienced physicians or at least licensed.

I am an intern in a health insurance company BUT they did not recruit for MDs. They were on campus recruiting ex-bankers and ex-consultants from the regular MBA program. I went for them despite other offers because I was interested in payer/provider stuff (have since changed my mind- this stuff is too broken). They do not recruit MD or MD/MBA students BECAUSE they want medical experience (licensed, board-certified practicing physician) which they typically hire as medical directors.

That said they all like licensed physicians so take the Step 3 and go for it.

Hope this helps.

Members don't see this ad :)
ortho-mdmba said:
It depends on what you are looking for. Are you an MD/MBA or MD?

The industry that seems to pick up MDs straight out of school or after just a year of internship are consulting, banking, maybe biotech and pharma. Understand that the first two, especially banking, might just be interested in having someone with an MD (client based business thus to impress clients and get more business) than your actual medical knowledge.

From my internship recruiting experience this year, consulting (usually the "big four"- McKinsey, BCG, Bain, Booz) and banking (the powerhouses- Goldman, MorganStanley, Merrill, Citigroup etc) were very gun-ho on MDs especially MD/MBAs. They all have websites to submit apps. If interested, course through some.

Pharma and biotech were a little more cautious often recruiting MD/MBAs with undergrad business degree and/or business experience particularly in banking and consulting. They also seem to prefer experienced physicians or at least licensed.

I am an intern in a health insurance company BUT they did not recruit for MDs. They were on campus recruiting ex-bankers and ex-consultants from the regular MBA program. I went for them despite offers from consulting and banking because I was interested in payer/provider stuff (have since changed my mind- this stuff is too broken). They do not recruit MD or MD/MBA students BECAUSE they want medical experience (licensed, board-certified practicing physician) which they typically hire as medical directors.

That said they all like licensed physicians so take the Step 3 and go for it.

Hope this helps.

Since we're talking about jobs, I thought I might post this. There's a VC co. on the west coast looking for an MD/MBA who has completed residency. Here's a link through our website to the post:
http://www.learnlink.emory.edu/~mward04/careers.html

Here is a question about those that got a consulting internship? Was it actual consulting or was it really just high pressure direct sales? So many consulting positions have become high quota, direct sales positions.