MCW Class of 2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I got my first interview! University of Pittsburgh, but it's in December. Nothing so far in November when I actually have vacation.

Congratulations!!

Members don't see this ad.

Don't know if anyone has heard about it, but on the San Francisco ballot they have Measure R:

The measure would rename the Oceanside Water Pollution Control Plant to the George W. Bush Sewage Plant.

Hilarious!

congrats Ashers and the city of San Francisco.

I saw some class of 2012ers studying at Tosa's alterra today. They were discussing how to follow carbons through the krebs cycle. Ugg, I'm sorry.

Members don't see this ad :)

I saw some class of 2012ers studying at Tosa's alterra today. They were discussing how to follow carbons through the krebs cycle. Ugg, I'm sorry.

Did we have to learn the Krebs cycle in med school? I remember learning it in undergrad but honestly I have no recollection of even seeing it in med school. Or using it, of course.

Hi all,

I have read some posts on gunner-ism and I would like to clarify on one fact. I was the girl who complained to the review committee how Dr. T's question was insulting the intelligence of us.

First of all, we are in Medical School, eventually going to treat patients who are going to expect you to help them the best that you can. Questions like " don't use the first thing that pops up on google etc. etc." is ridiculous. I could get my 14 year old sister to answer a question like that correctly.

If the faculty members are going to lob us easy gimme questions, then at least make them relevant to the topic at hand, which in Dr. T's case was Cystic Fibrosis.

Secondly, I'm sick and tired of everything bitching and complaining about how hard this block is. Honestly, I feel most people just slack off and reserve the last part of the Block (aka last week) to study. If you'd only be more focused, and efficient, you'd find that you can study and enjoy life as well.

That's my rant. You may call me a gunner, but I am one day going to call myself a excellent doctor whose patients will benefit from my hard work.

Did we have to learn the Krebs cycle in med school? I remember learning it in undergrad but honestly I have no recollection of even seeing it in med school. Or using it, of course.

Does citric acid cycle or TCA cycle sound familiar?

Oh man, did this in undergrad but never thought I would have to do this in med school. Sadness.

Secondly, I'm sick and tired of everything bitching and complaining about how hard this block is. Honestly, I feel most people just slack off and reserve the last part of the Block (aka last week) to study. If you'd only be more focused, and efficient, you'd find that you can study and enjoy life as well.
You should inform all of your classmates that you feel this way.

Hi all,

I have read some posts on gunner-ism and I would like to clarify on one fact. I was the girl who complained to the review committee how Dr. T's question was insulting the intelligence of us.

First of all, we are in Medical School, eventually going to treat patients who are going to expect you to help them the best that you can. Questions like " don't use the first thing that pops up on google etc. etc." is ridiculous. I could get my 14 year old sister to answer a question like that correctly.

If the faculty members are going to lob us easy gimme questions, then at least make them relevant to the topic at hand, which in Dr. T's case was Cystic Fibrosis.

That's my rant. You may call me a gunner, but I am one day going to call myself a excellent doctor whose patients will benefit from my hard work.

Clearly there is nothing wrong with working as hard as you can to make yourself the best doctor you can be. That was never the point. The point was twofold:

1. Your views regarding the gimme question, while valid, do not reflect those of the majority of students and thus you are bound to incur some hostility when complaining about such things. Remember that med school is immensely stressful for everyone and testing well is about psychology as well as medical knowledge, and for some of us those gimme questions are calming.

2. While you should certainly work as hard as you can, remember that you are never in a vacuum, neither in med school nor in practice, you must keep in mind how your actions will be perceived by others. If you appear to be trying to make yourself more visible or ingratiate yourself to people in positions of power, you may be resented by your peers. And a doctor who can not get along with her/his peers is not the best doctor s/he can be.

Meanwhile your colleagues/support staff will still be calling you a gunner.

Trust me when I tell you that some of the most laid-back folks in my class are AOA (I trust you already know about this organization). They are the kind of students who study hard but stay supportive of their classmates and understand that exams and grades are merely a means to an end, not the ultimate determinant of your ability as a physician.

Meanwhile your colleagues/support staff will still be calling you a gunner.

Trust me when I tell you that some of the most laid-back folks in my class are AOA (I trust you already know about this organization). They are the kind of students who study hard but stay supportive of their classmates and understand that exams and grades are merely a means to an end, not the ultimate determinant of your ability as a physician.

So true. Working your butt off doesn't mean you are a gunner. Working your butt off is a good thing, but to marginalize the percieved abilities of your classmates and showing off how knowledgable you are is considered Gunner. I know several people who work hard, but are modest and are very supportive of their classmates.

Hi all,

Don't go judging people based on what you see or how they complain. I complained about how hard a block was, and I studied my butt off for it, but some people like to complain. They could possibly be studying at home, at a coffee shop, somewhere where you don't study, so you don't actually know how much they study. I know someone in my class who didn't consider what most normal people consider studying to be studying, so she'd say she didn't "study" until the night before, but really, she had studied a fair amount. I doubt most people are putting everything or most stuff off until the last week. BUT it is true that the total amount of studying will drastically increase in the week before the test, that is the nature of the beast in med school (all years).

You're making a bad name for yourself. Take the easy questions when you can get them. They don't insult your intelligence; the professors are TRYING to be nice.

With your current attitude, you may be in for a surprise M3 year. You may get some patients that "insult your intelligence." "Like, seriously, you came to a doctor for this, you wasted MY 15 minute slot for this little problem."

Of course, this is coming from one of the soon to be stupidest of stupid doctors, since I am going into orthopaedics. And you know what they say about orthopods, strong as an ox and half as smart. But what does that make me know about medical school? Except maybe how to do well.

Does citric acid cycle or TCA cycle sound familiar?

I think he was kidding.

Oh, I've gotten pimped about an obscure part of TCA cycle. That sucked it was a fast "I don't know."

Oh man, did this in undergrad but never thought I would have to do this in med school. Sadness.

I don't remember having to do this in med school or undergrad.

So true. Working your butt off doesn't mean you are a gunner. Working your butt off is a good thing, but to marginalize the percieved abilities of your classmates and showing off how knowledgable you are is considered Gunner. I know several people who work hard, but are modest and are very supportive of their classmates.

Right, and these people tend to be well liked and have friends. Like Funk and Splat and Gimlet and akpete, etc (all smart nice people) (and I hope me, sometimes).

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
...Right, and these people tend to be well liked and have friends. Like Funk and Splat and Gimlet and akpete, etc (all smart nice peopl) (and I hope me, sometimes).

Sorry Prowler, didn't make Ashers' cut. I wonder if it was the "nice" or the "smart." :hungover:

That "gimme" question was probably included as a semi-funny way to soothe the statistical distribution of the test.

The good news is that most people will have forgotten about that test in 6 months. The bad news is that people in all 4 current classes have heard about the crazy girl who was offended by a gimme question.

That "gimme" question was probably included as a semi-funny way to soothe the statistical distribution of the test.

The good news is that most people will have forgotten about that test in 6 months. The bad news is that people in all 4 current classes have heard about the crazy girl who was offended by a gimme question.
word

Guys, how do I take a patient's respiratory rate?

Also, on a female patient, I feel kind of embarrassed to put the stethoscope on their chest. Advice?

Count the number of times they breathe in 30s. Say you're going to take their pulse for a minute, take the pulse for 30s, then see how many times their chest moves.

Also, on a female patient, I feel kind of embarrassed to put the stethoscope on their chest. Advice?

Get used to it. If you need to, have them move their breast.

pretend they're a man. If it's an SP, they're used to it, so don't sweat it. If there's boobs in the way, use the backside of your other hand to hold them out of the way. You can also listen to the mitral valve when they're supine for your abdominal exam.

or do what most nurses do and put "16" unless it seems sorta slow. then put "6." And if it seems fast, but "30."

Of course, I'm mostly kidding.

speaking of auscultating the mitral valve area...one of our male classmates was practicing on a female classmate and he just cupped her breast and lifted. hahahah. no warning or anything...just cup and lift.

fail-owned-virginia-license-plate-fail.jpg

fail-owned-invisibility-win.jpg

speaking of auscultating the mitral valve area...one of our male classmates was practicing on a female classmate and he just cupped her breast and lifted. hahahah. no warning or anything...just cup and lift.

Is that proper technique or should you ask your patient to move their breast for you?

Opinions vary on who moves the breast.

Options I have heard are:
1. ask the patient to move it.
2. use the back of your hand.
3. just move the darn thing and get on with it.

But it is proper to tell someone what you are doing before you start shoving her breasts around.

And you do this by saying somthing like, "I'm going to move your breast so I can hear your heart." ???

How about instead of "I'm going," say "I need to move your breast so I can listen to your heart." That way, it doesn't sound like a foregone conclusion that the breast will be moved, giving the patient at least the illusion of a choice in the matter and also they will feel like they are helping you by cooperating with the exam.

This stuff seems weird at first, but once you get more used to the idea of breaking the physical contact barrier with your patients it will seem less unnerving. I still feel weird about it sometimes, especially if I try to do the exam like my attending this month who just shoves her hand up the patients' shirts to listen.

Eh, I avoid the specifics. I tell them I'm going to listen to their heart and start with the right second intercostal space.

Awesome, I think we learned this today in anatomy lecture. The rt 2nd intercostal space would be to hear the.... um..... aortic valve? And the left 2nd intercostal would be the pulmonary valve.

Awesome, I think we learned this today in anatomy lecture. The rt 2nd intercostal space would be to hear the.... um..... aortic valve? And the left 2nd intercostal would be the pulmonary valve.

yep. Spells Apt. M (apartment M) as you go left and inferiorly.

All Patients Take Meds

am i the only one who never learned a mneumonic for this?

how about April P takes money?

Hey guys, so what is the deal with Evidence Based Medicine? Everyone thinks it is boring as hell. We had the lecture on Wednesday and she just blazed through some stuff and most people were like wtf? We also have small group stuff, which I personally dislike. :thumbdown:

Hey guys, so what is the deal with Evidence Based Medicine? Everyone thinks it is boring as hell. We had the lecture on Wednesday and she just blazed through some stuff and most people were like wtf? We also have small group stuff, which I personally dislike. :thumbdown:

Get used to it...it's what you'll be doing for the rest of your life.

EBM makes more sense after you have seen several different methods of treatment in action.

Any sort of alternative teaching format during 1st and 2nd year exists strictly for the sake of being listed on the mcw webpage and in the MSAR.

EBM makes more sense after you have seen several different methods of treatment in action.

Any sort of alternative teaching format during 1st and 2nd year exists strictly for the sake of being listed on the mcw webpage and in the MSAR.

Exactly...stuff to attract the pre-meds, who won't want to do it when they're actually med students. It's like how every applicant makes "clinical exposure" during the first two years a deciding factor in where they go to school, but it actually turns out to be a pain in the ass to have to do clinical stuff when you're trying to study for a path exam.

Oh, and BAHD - sorry, that wasn't a very helpful answer in my last post...I was a little drunk.

Oh, and BAHD - sorry, that wasn't a very helpful answer in my last post...I was a little drunk.

I liked your other answer because it's so true.

My EBM is, if it's worked for 100 years, may as well keep doing it. Except for those stupid FHT monitors. No evidence for them. Let's get rid of them.

...Except for those stupid FHT monitors. No evidence for them. Let's get rid of them.

....yes there is! But I won't bore you with the details. :)

So I'm reviewing anatomy today, and I have a question about the heart. Kolesari made a point about the transverse sinus saying that a cardiac surgeon would wrap a finger/thumb around the aorta for...... something. Would you guys happen to know what that something is?

On a related note, I decided to try and hear my own valves, but it all sounds the same. :(