MCW Class of 2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
In June he was on gen surg at Froedtert...

I haven't seen him, don't know where he is, but me and my nosiness are just sooooo curious!!

DAVID SIGHTING DAVID SIGHTING!!!!11!!ONEHUNDREDELEVTY!!!

Walking the 10 feet from the pt waiting room to the psychiatrist's room at Racine Clinic today.

Members don't see this ad.

My favorite part of today? When I got the "David sighting" text message. Well done, Ash.

My favorite part of today? When I got the "David sighting" text message. Well done, Ash.

I thought you'd appreciate that. I texted you asap after I saw him. I actually did a double take as I was in the hall and saw him walk in then the Dr was like "OK, David, this way."

Members don't see this ad :)
DAVID SIGHTING DAVID SIGHTING!!!!11!!ONEHUNDREDELEVTY!!!

Walking the 10 feet from the pt waiting room to the psychiatrist's room at Racine Clinic today.
lol you make it sound like he's sasquatch or something

lol you make it sound like he's sasquatch or something

Well... nothing else was going on in the clinic today aside from ringworm, fungal otitis externa, osteoarthritis, and a FNA of a weird muscle mass.

Wow... today was actually my most varied day for diagnoses. Cool.

In case anyone was wondering, the Russian Sasquatch is called "Almas."

How do you keep track of this stuff? And where did I leave my brown hairclip?
I've got a memory like a lint trap. I could tell you the URL for Asher's Myspace, Splat's license plate, and the two guys that sat next to you in organic chem (and who sat behind you). One of the girls in our organic chem class is an employee over at the WAC, and the guy she sat next to is an M3 at UWisc SOM. ;)

Seriously though, that's the only avatar you've ever had, as far as I know.

I've got a memory like a lint trap. I could tell you the URL for Asher's Myspace, Splat's license plate, and the two guys that sat next to you in organic chem (and who sat behind you). One of the girls in our organic chem class is an employee over at the WAC, and the guy she sat next to is an M3 at UWisc SOM. ;)

Seriously though, that's the only avatar you've ever had, as far as I know.

Wait, GUYS sat next to me in O-chem? A guy sat on ONE side of me, that big guy who's a year ahead of us in med school now in Chicago. (I remember his name, too, but it's none of the Internet's business. But TWO guys? I forget now.

And yet in diagnostic workshop today I remembered what number they set the lens on on the opthalmoscope to look in my eye two or three weeks ago. And my best friend's phone number when I was 7 was 888-0692. I'm pretty sure even SHE doesn't know that. I will never understand my memory.

Oh yeah! Well, I remember the alphabet, and I learned that when I was 5. ;) (I'm not as smart as my sister, she took my kindergarten books and taught herself to read when she was 3.) =(

Wait, GUYS sat next to me in O-chem? A guy sat on ONE side of me, that big guy who's a year ahead of us in med school now in Chicago. (I remember his name, too, but it's none of the Internet's business. But TWO guys? I forget now.
Yeah, I knew he was in med school in Chicago. Perhaps you didn't sit between these two, but I'm thinking of the guy who was older, carried a briefcase, and annoyed Bennett with all of his questions. He had a pretty common name ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, I knew he was in med school in Chicago. Perhaps you didn't sit between these two, but I'm thinking of the guy who was older, carried a briefcase, and annoyed Bennett with all of his questions. He had a pretty common name ;)

Oh, I'm sure he didn't sit right NEXT to me. At least, not for long. I wouldn't be in med school if he'd sat within reach of my arm. I'd be in jail. Actually, I was thinking at the time that he might have high-functioning autism, didn't you?

I didn't have Bennett, though. I had Sorensen for Gen. Chem. Moran actually very kindly told Question Man to put a sock in it one day.

Oh, I'm sure he didn't sit right NEXT to me. At least, not for long. I wouldn't be in med school if he'd sat within reach of my arm. I'd be in jail. Actually, I was thinking at the time that he might have high-functioning autism, didn't you?

I didn't have Bennett, though. I had Sorensen for Gen. Chem. Moran actually very kindly told Question Man to put a sock in it one day.
Oh, yeah, I knew that. I didn't take biochem with him though - I had Surerus, who has all the charisma of a mushroom.

The construction worker returning to school to be pre-pharm (late 40s, studied like a machine, usually friendly but kinda gruff :p) once asked Question Man if he wanted to study with him, and Question Man told him "Well, if I knew the answers, why would I tell you?" :laugh: I suppose that could be a form of high-functioning autism, but up until you suggested that, I was going under the assumption of arrogance.

Oh, yeah, I knew that. I didn't take biochem with him though - I had Surerus, who has all the charisma of a mushroom.

The construction worker returning to school to be pre-pharm (late 40s, studied like a machine, usually friendly but kinda gruff :p) once asked Question Man if he wanted to study with him, and Question Man told him "Well, if I knew the answers, why would I tell you?" :laugh: I suppose that could be a form of high-functioning autism, but up until you suggested that, I was going under the assumption of arrogance.

It just always seemed to me that it never occurred to him that he was disrupting the flow of the class with his incessant questions and comments and people might be irritated with him. It never seemed as if he was doing it to show how smart he was, but rather because he was into whatever his question was about and thought it was fine to delve deeper into it RIGHT NOW.

It just always seemed to me that it never occurred to him that he was disrupting the flow of the class with his incessant questions and comments and people might be irritated with him. It never seemed as if he was doing it to show how smart he was, but rather because he was into whatever his question was about and thought it was fine to delve deeper into it RIGHT NOW.
I thought he was showing off, as did a bunch of the people who sat behind you, but I didn't really think about the possibility of an inability to grasp other people's frustration. There was one time that most of the class collectively went "SHHHHHH!" to him. I think that might have been in 104 though.

I thought he was showing off, as did a bunch of the people who sat behind you, but I didn't really think about the possibility of an inability to grasp other people's frustration. There was one time that most of the class collectively went "SHHHHHH!" to him. I think that might have been in 104 though.

I remember at least one "SHHHHH!" moment. There was just something about the way he carried himself and the lack of eye contact that made me think he was not socially attuned to the world around him. I usually try to find other motivations for people's annoying behavior than my initial, irritated interpretation. Sometimes I can't be bothered, though. And of course, sometimes people are just jerks.

Hey guys! I'm excited to be attending the MCW class of 2012. But I just have to know, is the cold weather exaggerated? I'm used to a lot of rain, but are we talking lots of snow and ice? I'm sure I'll be back with more questions soon - thanks in advance!

Hey guys! I'm excited to be attending the MCW class of 2012. But I just have to know, is the cold weather exaggerated? I'm used to a lot of rain, but are we talking lots of snow and ice? I'm sure I'll be back with more questions soon - thanks in advance!

Yes, there will be snow and ice, but only about as often as you're probably used to rain. It won't snow every day, and people will generally plow/shovel/throw salt down as quickly as possible so that the pavement is not impossible to walk on for too long. You will want warm clothes, layers, excellent winter boots, and should look into the shoveling requirements and heat included provisions of your lease for an easier adaptation to the winter wonderland.

Where are you from?

No the cold is not exaggerated. It's also a fun walk to from the parking lot to the school wearing ski goggles in addition to many other layers in order to keep moderately non-chilly.

btw. I'm from only warm places, that may skew my judgement.

Yes, there will be snow and ice, but only about as often as you're probably used to rain. It won't snow every day, and people will generally plow/shovel/throw salt down as quickly as possible so that the pavement is not impossible to walk on for too long. You will want warm clothes, layers, excellent winter boots, and should look into the shoveling requirements and heat included provisions of your lease for an easier adaptation to the winter wonderland.

It doesn't snow everyday because a lot of the time, it's too cold to snow.

Where are you from?

I'm from the northwest. Ski goggles???? Are you serious, thats freakin nuts!!! Just out of curiosity, are you required to complete your third and fourth year in Milwaukee?

I'm from the northwest. Ski goggles???? Are you serious, thats freakin nuts!!! Just out of curiosity, are you required to complete your third and fourth year in Milwaukee?

all of third year you have to do here. You can do up to 4 away electives 4th year, and then there's vacation months.

I'm the only one that wore ski goggles to walk from the parking lot, and only on 3 days last year. I got the idea from my brothers who go to school in Spokane.

I've worn them on the bike before, but not walking. We may have as much as a week of sub-zero weather some winters. A new car battery is a nice going-away present to ask for.

I wonder how full the class is by this time of year

The cold being exaggerated all depends on where you're from. I think it's exaggerated. It's not like your hanging out outside all day or anything.

And Ashers, if I had actually seen you wearing the goggles, I would've been laughing my ass off. I have never seen that in my life.

It really doesn't snow that much. Nothing compared to upstate NY or something. I would even say MN gets more snow. I think the temp is usually in the 20s for the most part. Like samenewme said, there's typically a week or 2 long stretch of really cold weather.

Just make sure you have a good coat, scarf, mittens, and you're fine.

The cold being exaggerated all depends on where you're from. I think it's exaggerated. It's not like your hanging out outside all day or anything.

And Ashers, if I had actually seen you wearing the goggles, I would've been laughing my ass off. I have never seen that in my life.

It really doesn't snow that much. Nothing compared to upstate NY or something. I would even say MN gets more snow. I think the temp is usually in the 20s for the most part. Like samenewme said, there's typically a week or 2 long stretch of really cold weather.

Just make sure you have a good coat, scarf, mittens, and you're fine.

I'm sure when I'm walking to the hospital in surgery in Jan/Feb I'll be utilizing them again. ;)

Most people did laugh when they saw me walk in and I had goggles, even in my hand. I don't care, I was warm.

Hand and foot warmers are also nice.

i'm looking forward to busting out my ninja mask again for the really cold stuff.

So... I decided to visit MCW again, and thus I am in Milwaukee right now hangin out with the student who had me over during interviews four weeks back -- I can't believe how generous these students are!!! Anyways, ya, I went to get a late night snack and its pretty freakin cold outside. Am I the only one who thinks the freeway system in Milwaukee SUCKS!! Nonetheless, very excited to be back and will be studyin at the library tomorrow. :D

So... I decided to visit MCW again, and thus I am in Milwaukee right now hangin out with the student who had me over during interviews four weeks back -- I can't believe how generous these students are!!! Anyways, ya, I went to get a late night snack and its pretty freakin cold outside. Am I the only one who thinks the freeway system in Milwaukee SUCKS!! Nonetheless, very excited to be back and will be studyin at the library tomorrow. :D

Not all that glitters is gold!!!!

Not all that glitters is gold!!!!

As a general statement, I would agree. In this situation, I don't know what exactly you are implying (MCW is platinum baby!), but I get a very strong feeling your full of hot air (in which case this thread is not the appropriate place to be acting cocky, go toot your own horn somewhere else)... Just my impression.

As a general statement, I would agree. In this situation, I don't know what exactly you are implying (MCW is platinum baby!), but I get a very strong feeling your full of hot air (in which case this thread is not the appropriate place to be acting cocky, go toot your own horn somewhere else)... Just my impression.

LOL!

Why did you decide to visit again? Choosing between schools? Anyway, have fun studying at the library, take a sweatshirt, it gets in cold there, not as cold as outside though. Today's supposed to be one of the last nice days -- high 50s.

LOL!

Why did you decide to visit again? Choosing between schools? Anyway, have fun studying at the library, take a sweatshirt, it gets in cold there, not as cold as outside though. Today's supposed to be one of the last nice days -- high 50s.

yeah, the library is cold year round. twice i've had to cave and buy an extra long sleeve shirt or sweatshirt at the bookstore because it was too cold and I couldn't study anywhere else.

well i dont' think i lik emedical school very much but i think i love it here!!!! even tho its getting really cold the people are super nice!!!!!!! whats your deal arsenwager???? its not like people are steeling you're lunch money!!!

sorry i haven't been around guyz i've been studying really hard and things are going better!!!

This is by far my favorite med school month ev-ar. YAY ortho trauma. I don't like it getting cold though boo northernly latitudes not near the ocean.

LOL!

I was initially deciding between MCW and GWU. Even though GWU has a really sweet location, I didn't like the facilities and I was far more impressed with the students at MCW. Anyone's personal thoughts on this rivalry are appreciated.

Does anyone care to explain why its so warm in this library right now?? :laugh:

Good luck deciding, and congrats on having options! I can't tell you much about GW - I made it to the pre-interview hold there, but no further.

Yeah, it gets cold, but it could always be colder! Plus, it's nice to have a change in the seasons and snow is pretty for the most part.

As for the freeway system, it's a work in progress.

Can't tell you anything about the library. I only enter when I have to. I'm a home/starbucks studier.

Can't tell you anything about the library. I only enter when I have to. I'm a home/starbucks studier.

The cold is not that big of a deal, I'll live. I'm a big library study person, and I think the library at MCW is pretty exquisite -- the GWUMC library can hardly compare in that arena.

The cold is not that big of a deal, I'll live. I'm a big library study person, and I think the library at MCW is pretty exquisite -- the GWUMC library can hardly compare in that arena.

be careful, the library will steal your personality.

I have secret study locations where there are no other med students.

be careful, the library will steal your personality.

I have secret study locations where there are no other med students.

Ah-hah! So YOU'RE the reason the women's restroom in the journals section is always occupied.

I was initially deciding between MCW and GWU. Even though GWU has a really sweet location, I didn't like the facilities and I was far more impressed with the students at MCW. Anyone's personal thoughts on this rivalry are appreciated.

Does anyone care to explain why its so warm in this library right now?? :laugh:
DC = very expensive
MKE = not nearly so

I know a law student in DC who's spending almost as much on rent as I am on tuition. No thanks....

Even colder than the library is Kerrigan (the 1st year auditorium). This past week they had what felt the air conditioning on and you could feel the breeze. It was terrible.
Although I don't study at the library very much I do think it's very nice. When you walk in turn right. It'll take you to an area surrounded by windows. It's gorgeous when the sky is blue. Then it makes me want to not study. Even though, I'm having a hard time adjusting to Milwaukee out of my school choices I felt the best vibe here. I definitely feel we have a great program.

Even colder than the library is Kerrigan (the 1st year auditorium). This past week they had what felt the air conditioning on and you could feel the breeze. It was terrible.
Although I don't study at the library very much I do think it's very nice. When you walk in turn right. It'll take you to an area surrounded by windows. It's gorgeous when the sky is blue. Then it makes me want to not study. Even though, I'm having a hard time adjusting to Milwaukee out of my school choices I felt the best vibe here. I definitely feel we have a great program.

Just imagine Kerrigan about 15° cooler. Every time I walk into Kerrigan now, I think it's warm. It was horribly cold 1st year. We all complained, and they finally turned down the a/c.

I like studying in that area, especially when I can get my desk before the chinese lady.

I need to find where your desk is. I like the big giant tables. I don't think I cold imagine Kerrigan any colder. I almost want to bring a blanket even wearing a sweater. Ugh... at least it keeps me awake during biochem. Is the chinese lady stealing your desk an M1?

What a great advice!
I did not intend to get u riled up. I am happy that you like MCW and that you think it is a great place. My intention is, and indeed was, to help you put things into perspective. Just a reminder, that first impressions normally do not say a lot about people's real behavior/attitude. I hope you still feel the same way after your block 2.

NB.Ignore my first post and best of luck in all your future endeavors.

What a great advice!
I did not intend to get u riled up. I am happy that you like MCW and that you think it is a great place. My intention is, and indeed was, to help you put things into perspective. Just a reminder, that first impressions normally do not say a lot about people's real behavior/attitude. I hope you still feel the same way after your block 2.

NB.Ignore my first post and best of luck in all your future endeavors.

Thanks. You too, best of luck --

Just out of curiosity, are you a student @ MCW?