MCPHS-Worcester Class of 2020

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has anyone else put down a deposit?
I did - I couldn't believe it was like half my current monthly rent...eeeessh. Glad I'm not doing on-campus housing.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
The interview went very well, I prepared well for it and I felt very comfortable engaging my faculty interviewer. It was in-person, which is what I wanted. There were two other people interviewing at the same time for the Pharm.D program, both were pharm techs, we all chatted and got to know each other before it all started.
Did you have a writing test before your tour and interview?

Members don't see this ad :)
Quick question...I applied through pharmcas. Do I need to complete a supplemental application also? I tried doing one but it only gave me the option to add the boston campus. Can someone please let me know! Thanks! :)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Quick question...I applied through pharmcas. Do I need to complete a supplemental application also? I tried doing one but it only gave me the option to add the boston campus. Can someone please let me know! Thanks! :)

They dont have supplemental application at Worcester Campus.

Anyone looking for rommate? :)

I am still debating whether or not to attend this school. I applied to two programs, MCPHS and University of Southern California (USC), got accepted to both but idk what would be the best option. I went in for an interview at MCPHS and I liked the campus and the area. However, as I was speaking to current students, they all complained about the structure of the program and how MCPHS only cares about the obtaining student's money. A current student informed that if you were to fail a class, you cannot go on to the next semester until you pass the course (meaning that you'll lose an entire school year while still paying tutition). Moreover, I do not understand why they do not allow parents or friends at the welcoming ceremony (although my parents are the ones who will be paying hundreds of thousands of dollars for me to attend this school). My experience in USC was a little different. You can tell that current students actually like school ambient and feel supportive from the faculty, USC is also one of the top programs in the country. However, tuition is higher than MCPHS and it is a 4 year programs instead of 2 years and 10 months. I also want to practice in Massachusetts (where I am originally from). Currently I am leaning more towards MCPHS because of the shorter time but idk yet, any thoughts ? I am so baffled.

I am still debating whether or not to attend this school. I applied to two programs, MCPHS and University of Southern California (USC), got accepted to both but idk what would be the best option. I went in for an interview at MCPHS and I liked the campus and the area. However, as I was speaking to current students, they all complained about the structure of the program and how MCPHS only cares about the obtaining student's money. A current student informed that if you were to fail a class, you cannot go on to the next semester until you pass the course (meaning that you'll lose an entire school year while still paying tutition). Moreover, I do not understand why they do not allow parents or friends at the welcoming ceremony (although my parents are the ones who will be paying hundreds of thousands of dollars for me to attend this school). My experience in USC was a little different. You can tell that current students actually like school ambient and feel supportive from the faculty, USC is also one of the top programs in the country. However, tuition is higher than MCPHS and it is a 4 year programs instead of 2 years and 10 months. I also want to practice in Massachusetts (where I am originally from). Currently I am leaning more towards MCPHS because of the shorter time but idk yet, any thoughts ? I am so baffled.

it's the same everywhere, if you fail you got held back a year depend on what class

I'm not from around the area so I'm hoping that they have an accepted students day or something, just so i could get a better feel of the school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ajlee42 did you put housing deposit too?
I didn't put down a housing deposit because I'm already living comfortably in the Worcester-area in my own apartment. I'm about a 9 min drive from the school, less when there's no traffic. I figured I'd be saving money in rent for now; not only that, I value my own kitchen hehe.

dcasmer, I think the key to clarity here is to really, really interrogate what you want for yourself and out of MCPHS or USC. LA definitely offers a different scene, and maybe more opportunities, so how set are you on practicing in MA? Revisit the reasons why you applied to MCPHS and do the same for USC. How would you prioritize your list of Pros and Cons? If the appeal of MCPHS is that you get your Pharm.D in less than three years, can you honestly and seriously handle that "type" of atmosphere? How much do you value a school's NAPLEX passing rate for it's students? Do those numbers matter? Just to get you thinking...

It's also important to remember that we are all in it together, so the support and camaraderie will be there - no matter what school you choose.

dcasmer, I think the key to clarity here is to really, really interrogate what you want for yourself and out of MCPHS or USC. LA definitely offers a different scene, and maybe more opportunities, so how set are you on practicing in MA? Revisit the reasons why you applied to MCPHS and do the same for USC. How would you prioritize your list of Pros and Cons? If the appeal of MCPHS is that you get your Pharm.D in less than three years, can you honestly and seriously handle that "type" of atmosphere? How much do you value a school's NAPLEX passing rate for it's students? Do those numbers matter? Just to get you thinking...

It's also important to remember that we are all in it together, so the support and camaraderie will be there - no matter what school you choose.
MCPHS it is, honestly I do not think I will be able to handle 4 more years of schooling. I would rather do a shorter time and get it over with. Thank you and see you all in August :)

64% NAPLEX pass rate BAHAHAHHAH.
Anyone with half a brain would stay far away from this scam of a school.

New to these forums, although I have been following them for years. I want to give my spill on MCPHS and why you shouldn't ignore that 64% NAPLEX pass rate. I have been researching this school for a few years now and I have ignored most of the negative posts in regards to their school. Firstly class sizes of 250 is absolutely insane and almost unheard of, the retention rate is the second highest of any other established pharmacy school. The pass rate last year for the NAPLEX was the third worst of all pharmacy schools and all scores will likely be worse this year, due to the new changes made to the test. I have interviewed there and been accepted with scholarship and I'm choosing a smaller school in the midwest. They do a great job pitching the school, but you cant help but feel like they're selling you a lemon. Don't discredit all these forums and posts guys, it might save you a bit of money/grief in the long haul.

Cheers

The number is bad, yes, but the 2016 NAPLEX scores were overall lower on average for all first-time test takers across the US. I'm on the outside looking in, so I have no idea if the changes (and there were changes) to the NAPLEX "caused" the passing rate to drop - a simple correlation based on the 2016 scores would suggest so. A few folks I know at MCPHS are saying the school is implimenting a new curriculum starting in September 2017. That maybe good/bad for this class (of 2020), but only time will tell.

my file has been in review for weeks what can i do

I am new on here. Urgent Help Please!
I am having a skype interview in a week! I am saying things to keep myself calm. But I can feel the nervousness creeping in.
Can someone that had the skype interview give me some pointers. Or what kind of question you guys got asked or what I should expect? This would be my first pharmacy interview. Thank you for all the help :)

I am new on here. Urgent Help Please!
I am having a skype interview in a week! I am saying things to keep myself calm. But I can feel the nervousness creeping in.
Can someone that had the skype interview give me some pointers. Or what kind of question you guys got asked or what I should expect? This would be my first pharmacy interview. Thank you for all the help :)
I have interview in next week too 28 of Feb. I see lots of people have already acceptance in their hands.

I have interview in next week too 28 of Feb. I see lots of people have already acceptance in their hands.

Hey Sima,
I wish you best of Luck! Hopefully we can be classmate. Yours is before mine. Mine is on March 2. Would you please let me know how it goes? Much would be appreciated.
Is yours through skype also?

Hey Sima,
I wish you best of Luck! Hopefully we can be classmate. Yours is before mine. Mine is on March 2. Would you please let me know how it goes? Much would be appreciated.
Is yours through skype also?
Yes. It goes by skype. I will notify you how it goes. But generally I like better in person interview.

Yes. It goes by skype. I will notify you how it goes. But generally I like better in person interview.
Hello Sima,
How was your interview? May I ask what questions you got and the writing section topics? Thank you.

Hello Sima,
How was your interview? May I ask what questions you got and the writing section topics? Thank you.

1) Why Pharmacy?
2) Why MCPHS?
3) A question about your application(Open File interview)
4) You have any questions?
Writing prompt) There's quite a few, but they're easily answerable.

1) Why Pharmacy?
2) Why MCPHS?
3) A question about your application(Open File interview)
4) You have any questions?
Writing prompt) There's quite a few, but they're easily answerable.

Thank you JimLahey!
Did you just recently got done with your interview?

I did - I couldn't believe it was like half my current monthly rent...eeeessh. Glad I'm not doing on-campus housing.
On campus housing is pretty good in terms of pricing compared to a lot of the places in worcester.

If you are able to do so, please go to the school and visit the area.

What were all of your stats?

Hey Ahossain. My stats aren't great. I have at least 3.3 gpa. But I will be earning my B.S. in Biology this Spring. I also work as a pharmacy intern and volunteer 4 years at a hospital.

Last edited:
NutriPharma, May I ask how was your first year of pharmacy at MCPHS Worcester? Thank you.
My experience has been disheartening and a struggle. I am in the group of students (there are more than at least 60 out of the 300) who are struggling to keep that marvelous 10k scholarship even with the low GPA requirement (2.2 to stay out of academic probation and 2.5 to keep scholarship). Believe me, the low GPA should be a warning sign. Yes we are allowed to get D's but trust me you'll be fighting for that D. We have lost many students after the 1st semester, I believe around 50.
Our professors have mentioned the fact that the group who just took the naplex practically bombed the stats. So they are trying to become more "strict" with giving out points. We get curves but they aren't enough to cushion you in anyway. I was a cum laude, 2 honor society student working two jobs in undergrad while in a biology program. This school has changed my entire life in a negative way. However, I will stay and make it out in a timely fashion.

I'm sure the warning posts have scared everyone away but then you get sucked in with that beautiful scholarship and a quick view of the "city". That was me :D. Worcester is not a fun area even though they say its a "college town" because there are 12 colleges. The food choices are below subprime - if that even exists. The fun activities/nightlife is non existent due to the residents who don't want change to come to their town. They have shut down all the fun things on Main St. and moved them to Water St. Even with that improvement, many call Worcester a ghost town because after 5pm - everyone leaves and goes to their own town.

I was accepted to multiple schools including the nearest 3 year program - University of Saint Joseph and I do regret not attending USJ. My stats were okay - i was a pharm tech and I worked another job as well. I was on eboard and active on campus during undergrad. My PCAT was mid range. I did research in undergrad.
A few suggestions:
1. look at the stats of the school (the stats that actually matter for getting a career once you graduate)
2. visit Worcester, drive around a bit, find places you like and write them down because the city won't change
3. Check out the housing options - most of us want to live in Foster but we can't get in because its in such high demand. 379 main is a good option but nothing out here is cheap. There are apartments for $500/room with 3 rooms that are about 10 minutes away but its up a very steep hill and during the winter it gets worse.
4. Understand that the work you put in will be at least 5 times more than you have expected.
LOOK AT OTHER OPTIONS FOR SCHOOLS. DO NOT APPLY TO THIS SCHOOL JUST BECAUSE YOU DIDN'T TAKE THE PCAT.
5. If you do decide to attend this school.... take a piece of advice and learn ALL of the top 200 drugs w/ generics and indications. (it will save you a ton of time and heart ache for one our your classes)
6. prepare yourself in the summer, or even now if you can, for the workload. Ask people if they know subjects and topics.
7. become friends with the upperclassmen because they will be your "mentors".
Side note about the "mentors": our school does not have a tutoring system like other schools where you can schedule an appointment online with various tutors and meet at a time in a tutoring center. We have mentors who are the upperclassmen (P2). Just like us, they will be studying/cramming and scrambling around to survive. Sometimes they do neglect us, as the previous classes have told us that they would help their underclassmen tremendously. We haven't received that special treatment I guess.
8. If you are of a certain ethnic or cultural background, you can certainly make friends and study groups a lot easier. We have a VERY diverse class which is great.
9. We have a new Dean and I was told the curriculum and other things are changing rapidly so your class may not be the same as ours.
10. Look at the curriculum now and look at the credit load - compare it to a normal undergrad credit load. Example: Our biochemistry is 2 credits but it feels like 4 credit work because it is and it is crammed into a 15 week semester.
11. THIS IS IMPORTANT - know that you will have at least 2 exams every week, most often back to back. Sometimes you will have 3 exams. You cannot neglect any material.
12. Once you are behind in the work, you are behind forever unless you a. pull a couple of all nighters b. forget acing that exam and focus on the new material being taught or c. you miraculously find another option like creating a 36 hour day or stopping time.
13. Not everyone is friendly and willing to give advice, once you get in, know who you are working and dealing with.
14. The organizations are obviously great for your resume but please choose wisely and know what you want to do before you start. If you don't know what type of pharmacist you would like to become - DO YOUR RESEARCH NOW (like now, like yesterday)
15. We take exams like robots, be prepared for the stress. If you have anxiety and/or etc - you should seek options of coping with your doctor before starting so you are prepared.
16. Flood my inbox with (reasonable) questions. No I cannot give you answers to the exams. No I don't have material for you. No I cannot tutor you because I honestly can't keep up myself. BUT I will be honest and I understand where everyone is right now because I was once there.

Hope this helps and sorry it was so long.

Reactions: 5 users
Ok. So 10k scholarships and skype interviews are the tactics this school is using to sucker in students? I was wondering what their new methods were.

Does anyone know about the changes in the new curriculum?
I wonder if it's related to the law pass rate of Naplex 2016

does this follow a block format curriculum? and is this the worst one when compared to manchester?

My experience has been disheartening and a struggle. I am in the group of students (there are more than at least 60 out of the 300) who are struggling to keep that marvelous 10k scholarship even with the low GPA requirement (2.2 to stay out of academic probation and 2.5 to keep scholarship). Believe me, the low GPA should be a warning sign. Yes we are allowed to get D's but trust me you'll be fighting for that D. We have lost many students after the 1st semester, I believe around 50.
Our professors have mentioned the fact that the group who just took the naplex practically bombed the stats. So they are trying to become more "strict" with giving out points. We get curves but they aren't enough to cushion you in anyway. I was a cum laude, 2 honor society student working two jobs in undergrad while in a biology program. This school has changed my entire life in a negative way. However, I will stay and make it out in a timely fashion.

I'm sure the warning posts have scared everyone away but then you get sucked in with that beautiful scholarship and a quick view of the "city". That was me :D. Worcester is not a fun area even though they say its a "college town" because there are 12 colleges. The food choices are below subprime - if that even exists. The fun activities/nightlife is non existent due to the residents who don't want change to come to their town. They have shut down all the fun things on Main St. and moved them to Water St. Even with that improvement, many call Worcester a ghost town because after 5pm - everyone leaves and goes to their own town.

I was accepted to multiple schools including the nearest 3 year program - University of Saint Joseph and I do regret not attending USJ. My stats were okay - i was a pharm tech and I worked another job as well. I was on eboard and active on campus during undergrad. My PCAT was mid range. I did research in undergrad.
A few suggestions:
1. look at the stats of the school (the stats that actually matter for getting a career once you graduate)
2. visit Worcester, drive around a bit, find places you like and write them down because the city won't change
3. Check out the housing options - most of us want to live in Foster but we can't get in because its in such high demand. 379 main is a good option but nothing out here is cheap. There are apartments for $500/room with 3 rooms that are about 10 minutes away but its up a very steep hill and during the winter it gets worse.
4. Understand that the work you put in will be at least 5 times more than you have expected.
LOOK AT OTHER OPTIONS FOR SCHOOLS. DO NOT APPLY TO THIS SCHOOL JUST BECAUSE YOU DIDN'T TAKE THE PCAT.
5. If you do decide to attend this school.... take a piece of advice and learn ALL of the top 200 drugs w/ generics and indications. (it will save you a ton of time and heart ache for one our your classes)
6. prepare yourself in the summer, or even now if you can, for the workload. Ask people if they know subjects and topics.
7. become friends with the upperclassmen because they will be your "mentors".
Side note about the "mentors": our school does not have a tutoring system like other schools where you can schedule an appointment online with various tutors and meet at a time in a tutoring center. We have mentors who are the upperclassmen (P2). Just like us, they will be studying/cramming and scrambling around to survive. Sometimes they do neglect us, as the previous classes have told us that they would help their underclassmen tremendously. We haven't received that special treatment I guess.
8. If you are of a certain ethnic or cultural background, you can certainly make friends and study groups a lot easier. We have a VERY diverse class which is great.
9. We have a new Dean and I was told the curriculum and other things are changing rapidly so your class may not be the same as ours.
10. Look at the curriculum now and look at the credit load - compare it to a normal undergrad credit load. Example: Our biochemistry is 2 credits but it feels like 4 credit work because it is and it is crammed into a 15 week semester.
11. THIS IS IMPORTANT - know that you will have at least 2 exams every week, most often back to back. Sometimes you will have 3 exams. You cannot neglect any material.
12. Once you are behind in the work, you are behind forever unless you a. pull a couple of all nighters b. forget acing that exam and focus on the new material being taught or c. you miraculously find another option like creating a 36 hour day or stopping time.
13. Not everyone is friendly and willing to give advice, once you get in, know who you are working and dealing with.
14. The organizations are obviously great for your resume but please choose wisely and know what you want to do before you start. If you don't know what type of pharmacist you would like to become - DO YOUR RESEARCH NOW (like now, like yesterday)
15. We take exams like robots, be prepared for the stress. If you have anxiety and/or etc - you should seek options of coping with your doctor before starting so you are prepared.
16. Flood my inbox with (reasonable) questions. No I cannot give you answers to the exams. No I don't have material for you. No I cannot tutor you because I honestly can't keep up myself. BUT I will be honest and I understand where everyone is right now because I was once there.

Hope this helps and sorry it was so long.

Thank you very much NutriPharma! No it's not too long! Thank you for putting out the time to write it! For me I have not receive my acceptance package yet so I have no clue what's the scholarship is about. But for some reason I am drawn to MCPHS. I really like their labs. But I am nervous for the program. But to me every pharmacy program require you to put in double amount of work/time to do well. It is just crazy. I do want to go to MCPHS but reading the comments about MCPHS makes me nervous. May I also ask how summer courses went for you? 12 credits during the summer?!?!? that is... Wow.... I can feel the stress creeping in and I haven't even started. Lol. May I also ask are you currently working or anything? Thank you.

Last edited:
Thank you very much NutriPharma! No it's not too long! Thank you for putting out the time to write it! For me I have not receive my acceptance package yet so I have no clue what's the scholarship is about. But for some reason I am drawn to MCPHS. I really like their labs. But I am nervous for the program. But to me every pharmacy program require you to put in double amount of work/time to do well. It is just crazy. I do want to go to MCPHS but reading the comments about MCPHS makes me nervous. May I also ask how summer courses went for you? 12 credits during the summer?!?!? that is... Wow.... I can feel the stress creeping in and I haven't even started. Lol. May I also ask are you currently working or anything? Thank you.
I have not done a summer semester yet, it is coming up after this semester. I am not working because it would be more than impossible. What labs do you like at MCPHS? We only have one lab - where they cycle students because we all can't fit. The workload here is not bad, but its POORLY ORGANIZED. It is not set up correctly, causing mayhem + chaos.

Yes, the curriculum is changing due to their poor naplex scores.

I GOT ACCEPTED!

Interview: 3/2/17
Accepted: 3/10/17

I got an email saying I got accepted and that they just mailed out my acceptance letter.
Congrats?!!! So happy for you. Yes I have got acceptance letter by email I am waiting for the package

Congrats?!!! So happy for you. Yes I have got acceptance letter by email I am waiting for the package
Thank youuu! Congrats to you too!!!! Hey Sima are you planning on attending MCPHS Worcester then? If so we should stay in contact! Let me know if you want to meet up. I can email you my number!