MCPHS Worcester Class 2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Blacjaguar

Never say never...
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
:soexcited:Hello everyone! I know it's early (I sent in my apps at the end of August), but I just found out I'm accepted for fall of '09!!! Anyone else?!

:horns:

Members don't see this ad.

I was accepted today too!!! Woo Hoo!!
Now, I have to worry about paying my $750 by 12/3 LoL

I was accepted today too!!! Woo Hoo!!
Now, I have to worry about paying my $750 by 12/3 LoL

The $750 was scarey enough...but now I'm wondering about the $90,000+ for three years of tuition! :smack: I Reeeallly hope student loans cover off-campus housing. :shrug:

Members don't see this ad :)
The $750 was scarey enough...but now I'm wondering about the $90,000+ for three years of tuition! :smack: I Reeeallly hope student loans cover off-campus housing. :shrug:

Guys I am pleased to say that i was also accepted today THANK GOD!! yes the 750 and the 90 000 plus i dont even want to think about..... Where do you guys plan on staying>>>

Congrads to all

Guys I am pleased to say that i was also accepted today THANK GOD!! yes the 750 and the 90 000 plus i dont even want to think about..... Where do you guys plan on staying>>>

Congrads to all

Yea! (So much for your user name ;))

I'm going to live off campus...I've heard about a couple complexes only a couple blocks away from the school ("600 Main St" and "Bancroft?") ...hopefully a student loan will cover rent and I'll be all set.

Congrats on your acceptance, *rejected577* lol (that is a funny user name) but I plan to stay at 600 Main St. I toured the apartments while I was there, they were really nice. I just need to find a roomie, because two bedrooms are more affordable.

As far as tuition, it is a lot! but look on the bright side, it balances out to the same price as a 4yr program. I wonder if the school offers scholarships and such. I also heard, through ms. denise, the admission secretary, that if we fill out our fasfa on time we get a 3k rebate. She wasnt quite sure though.

Congrats on your acceptance, *rejected577* lol (that is a funny user name) but I plan to stay at 600 Main St. I toured the apartments while I was there, they were really nice. I just need to find a roomie, because two bedrooms are more affordable.

As far as tuition, it is a lot! but look on the bright side, it balances out to the same price as a 4yr program. I wonder if the school offers scholarships and such. I also heard, through ms. denise, the admission secretary, that if we fill out our fasfa on time we get a 3k rebate. She wasnt quite sure though.
I might just live in the droms ... the way i look at it is that both options are going to be about the same price when all is said and done...

I might just live in the droms ... the way i look at it is that both options are going to be about the same price when all is said and done...

wat are ur stats?

wat are ur stats?

My stats are 3.1 overall GPA
3.1 in science and non science
5 years pharm tech at CVS
1 year research with anti-fungal meds(Echinocandins)
And i will graduate in May 09 in a bachelors in Biology

I have a lot of experience... and my grades are decent I mean my GPA could be higher but i played soccer for my college for two years and need money to help pay for school but i quit and made deans list and brought my GPA up a lot.

My stats are 3.1 overall GPA
3.1 in science and non science
5 years pharm tech at CVS
1 year research with anti-fungal meds(Echinocandins)
And i will graduate in May 09 in a bachelors in Biology

I have a lot of experience... and my grades are decent I mean my GPA could be higher but i played soccer for my college for two years and need money to help pay for school but i quit and made deans list and brought my GPA up a lot.

Yeah, working and going to school and have club/sports at the same time is really really tough. They probably liked the fact that you could manage everything and not drown! :thumbup:

Make sure you guys work a lot during the summer and save your money. I heard that its not a good idea to work a lot of hrs since the program is intense. Are you guys still shocked about your acceptance? I am!!! I cant believe I got in LOL !!!

Make sure you guys work a lot during the summer and save your money. I heard that its not a good idea to work a lot of hrs since the program is intense. Are you guys still shocked about your acceptance? I am!!! I cant believe I got in LOL !!!

Me, too! :banana:

I live paycheck to paycheck right now...so I have nooo idea how I'm going to live. The FAFSA will think I make a lot of money...doesn't take the bills into consideration I bet. Grr!

Congrats to all of you already accepted!!
My interview is Thursday and I am SO nervous. Can anyone give me a little bit of insight on what to be prepared for??

Members don't see this ad :)
Me, too! :banana:

I live paycheck to paycheck right now...so I have nooo idea how I'm going to live. The FAFSA will think I make a lot of money...doesn't take the bills into consideration I bet. Grr!

I know ill be getting a large raise at CVS because interns make more money but since im in the accelerated program I will make more than those in a 4 year :D

My problem is I bought a 2008 lancer GTS haha and owe liek 12000 0n it so my goal is to pay that sucker off by summer ...... Dear GOD please help me ha

Yeah, working and going to school and have club/sports at the same time is really really tough. They probably liked the fact that you could manage everything and not drown! :thumbup:

Ya well i think in my case my schools grading systems sucks.. no minus a B is an 85-88 and B+ 89-92 and A 93- 100 so you can easily see how i could struggle with that lol but i think they realized in my case how hard you have to work just to get a B+ let alone an A

Can we apply for our intern license now, since we received our acceptance letter? Also, how much does CVS p1 interns make? I work there too!!! lol

Can we apply for our intern license now, since we received our acceptance letter? Also, how much does CVS p1 interns make? I work there too!!! lol

Im not sure about the license thing... as far as CVS interns that was the point i was making lol.. you dont go in as a p1 you go in as a p2 or p3 i think its p3 tho.... usually p1 is 11 p2 is 12 an hour thats... but it all depends.. I wont no till January the exact amount ill let you know tho

Congrats to all of you already accepted!!
My interview is Thursday and I am SO nervous. Can anyone give me a little bit of insight on what to be prepared for??

Be prepared to ask yourself five minutes into the interview, "Why the heck was I so nervous??" :laugh:

They were nice, laid back, great...no worries!!!!

Im not sure about the license thing... as far as CVS interns that was the point i was making lol.. you dont go in as a p1 you go in as a p2 or p3 i think its p3 tho.... usually p1 is 11 p2 is 12 an hour thats... but it all depends.. I wont no till January the exact amount ill let you know tho

I dont understand how we will start off as a p2 or p3 if this will be our first year of pharmacy school

I dont understand how we will start off as a p2 or p3 if this will be our first year of pharmacy school

true but its goes but entry level... Look at it like this a p1 at another pharmacy school makes sumthin like this
p1-11 an hour
p2-12 an hour
p3-13 an hour
p4-14 an hour

So if your only going to be in the program for 2 years ten months you should start at a p2 or p3... Why b/c if you start at p1 u get 11 then your p2 12 hr then ur p3 13 but what about extern rate n fourth yr rate...im pretty sure that by the time we are done our 2 years we can become ex terns and that is like 25 an hour.. so in reality you should start at a p3 due to the program you are in .... Anyway this is what my boss told me... And it makes sense especially if you compare 4 yr program vs 3 year... SO if im a p2 n just finished all my pharmacy related class and someone i work with is a p3 still taking class they make more than me?? just an example

Hi Everyone!!

First off, congrats to all your acceptances!! it's great!! When it was me 2 years ago.. I think i only applied around now! november.. so you guys are WAY ahead of the game.

To clarify some things here:

Regarding Intern licenses: You cannot apply for them ahead of time. They will tell you that at orientation. There is a window period after classes start (a week or two) that people can still do add/drop, after that, the registrar's office would have to stamp your intern application and mail it in, this is to prove that you are currently ENROLLED and taking classes at an accredited institution.. so patience!!

Regarding pay rates: Different companies would calculate the pay rate a different way. For accelerated schools, I am currently a P2 and I get paid the "5th year intern" pay rate. However, I know some others in my class that do get paid the "4th year" intern pay rate. It all depends how your company figures it out. The way we do it, I work for Rite Aid, they calculate how many more years to go until graduation, in my case, 2 years, so I'm considered 5th year interns.. I hope it clarifies that for most of you guys...

600 Main Street and Bancroft apartments are both a block or 2 away from school, easily walkable (10 minutes). I think they do come in cheaper than the dorms, but then, it all depends what you like. I like to roll out of bed, throw something on, and just walk to class (don't even have to walk outside)... i live in the dorms, btw.. haha... just in case I hit *snooze* too many times :p

regarding working during school:

It is all different for most people. Some people here advise you not to work, especially if you already have experience, you'd most rather focus on studying. However, if you don't have experience, it is a VERY GOOD IDEA to get experience BEFORE you start pharmacy school and/or before the Summer semester starts.. because the knowledge, even if very little, that you gained working in a pharmacy will facilitate your memorizing some of the drugs for quizzes, and PPP lab in the summer. I know some people who work once a week, some work once a month, some don't work at all, we all do it differently.

Good luck everyone!

true but its goes but entry level... Look at it like this a p1 at another pharmacy school makes sumthin like this
p1-11 an hour
p2-12 an hour
p3-13 an hour
p4-14 an hour

So if your only going to be in the program for 2 years ten months you should start at a p2 or p3... Why b/c if you start at p1 u get 11 then your p2 12 hr then ur p3 13 but what about extern rate n fourth yr rate...im pretty sure that by the time we are done our 2 years we can become ex terns and that is like 25 an hour.. so in reality you should start at a p3 due to the program you are in .... Anyway this is what my boss told me... And it makes sense especially if you compare 4 yr program vs 3 year... SO if im a p2 n just finished all my pharmacy related class and someone i work with is a p3 still taking class they make more than me?? just an example

Sorry if this is a dumb question, im pretty sure it is. Will we get an intern license in Mass or the state in which we are coming from? Also, can we use the license in any state? For instance, if i get a mass license and want to work during my breaks in georgia will I be able too??

You will have to get a MASS license by spring, which is when you have to do your shadowing experience here.

If you want to work anywhere else outside of Mass, you will have to get their respective state licenses.

Sorry if this is a dumb question, im pretty sure it is. Will we get an intern license in Mass or the state in which we are coming from? Also, can we use the license in any state? For instance, if i get a mass license and want to work during my breaks in georgia will I be able too??

You will have to get a MASS license by spring, which is when you have to do your shadowing experience here.

If you want to work anywhere else outside of Mass, you will have to get their respective state licenses.

Do we get paid to shadow? I was wondering how I was going to pay for my mac 'n' cheese and Ramen...:D

Do we get paid to shadow? I was wondering how I was going to pay for my mac 'n' cheese and Ramen...:D

Congrats to everyone that's been accepted! Greatdeals is right, it is still very early. I also agree that you should get some pharmacy (retail) experience prior to coming to school. I had none and now wish I did. Even though I am doing fine without it, it would have been nice to have that extra edge, especially for Intro to Pharmacy Practice. I make the type of mistakes that most people with pharmacy experience already know like second nature. I myself don't work, but that is mostly because I commute a big distance everyday. But I am considering finding a job over winter break though. I'd say about 1/4 of our class works - usually 1 day on the weekends. I think it just all depends on what your life is like outside of school.

For the shadowing that's included in the program you do not get paid, nor will you for any type of school rotation. The school will show everyone how to get MASS intern licenses, so don't worry about that now.

Qustion for all attending/interested in MCPHS - Worcester. I know it is accelerated program. However, they also have an optional specialty track(after 3rd year) which I am not so sure about. What is it for? link is given below. http://www.mcphs.edu/academics/programs/pharmaceutical_sciences/accelerated_pharmd/

The specialty track is within your 3 years, not after. Think of it like you're taking a minor.. but the courses would be within the electives required for the program, so you're not really taking more classes, but you will be limited in the electives you will be taking since they have to satisfy that specialty track.

i read that people done wth interveiws signed something and can't talk about it. thanx anyway,:)

I sent in my deposit on Friday, woo hoo! Anyone else?

The specialty track is within your 3 years, not after. Think of it like you're taking a minor.. but the courses would be within the electives required for the program, so you're not really taking more classes, but you will be limited in the electives you will be taking since they have to satisfy that specialty track.

since there is no extra courses one need to take outside curriculum, he would have completed same number of classes whether he does optional track or not...correct?
and it is optional, right?

since there is no extra courses one need to take outside curriculum, he would have completed same number of classes whether he does optional track or not...correct?
and it is optional, right?

yes

Count me too..
Class of 2012.
Got my acceptance letter yesterday !!!!!!!!!

i regret not applying to Worcester... i applied to Boston because I thought I would prefer to the 4 year, but after seeing the schedules between 4 year and 3 year, I like 3 year better. Congrats to you all

Last edited:
i regret not applying to Worcester... i applied to Boston because I thought I would prefer to the 4 year, but after seeing the schedules between 4 year and 3 year, I like 3 year better. Congrats to you all

It is no where near too late to apply to Worcester.

I was on MCPHS website looking at the cost of on campus housing and for a 2 person room is said about 9,000 a year, or something along the lines of that. Does anyone know if thats the price per person or is it divided by two?

I was on MCPHS website looking at the cost of on campus housing and for a 2 person room is said about 9,000 a year, or something along the lines of that. Does anyone know if thats the price per person or is it divided by two?

I'm pretty sure that's per person. It would be ridiculously cheap to spend only $4,500 on a year's worth of on-campus housing...I don't think MCPHS would do that to themselves :D

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, though. Too bad on-campus housing doesn't accept pets and boyfriends :rolleyes:

Yeah your probably right. LoL
Well, Ive been doing some thinking, and I want to live on campus as long as I can get a 2, 3, or 4 person room. Anything other than that, I have to live off of campus! Did you guys hear that there will be a new pharmacy building for Fall 09?

Oh Yeah, Did anyone get a facebook request from MCPHS?
I did, hhhmmmm LoL

$9000 is per person.

Boyfriends would count as visitors, so they have to follow visitor policies..
pets. only fishes allowed.. :D

I'm pretty sure that's per person. It would be ridiculously cheap to spend only $4,500 on a year's worth of on-campus housing...I don't think MCPHS would do that to themselves :D

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, though. Too bad on-campus housing doesn't accept pets and boyfriends :rolleyes:

Yeah your probably right. LoL
Well, Ive been doing some thinking, and I want to live on campus as long as I can get a 2, 3, or 4 person room. Anything other than that, I have to live off of campus! Did you guys hear that there will be a new pharmacy building for Fall 09?

make sure you put your housing app in ASAP. By the time many of my classmates tried to get on campus housing this year there was nothing left, yet alone a 6 person.

How many international students are in Worcester campus?
Anyone any idea,, What are their criteria for accepting an international student?

How much should I write to the following question from supplemental application? Only the first question.

1. Describe specifically why you want to attend the accelerated Doctor of Pharmacy program at Massachusetts College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences. Please also include any impressions that you may have of MCPHS and the Worcester, MA or Manchester, NH area.

Is this like essay? How much u wrote?

Here's the official Supp App: http://www.mcphs.edu/admission/docs/PharmD%20supplemental%20application%20-%20WorcMan.pdf

My name is James Lukose. I also got accepted to the MCPHS Worcester Class of 2012. I applied to that school back in November 2005 and got waitlisted. Now, I am a nursing student at the University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio and going to graduate with a BSN on December 2008. I am excited about the graduation and more excited about the pharmacy school. I have some questions for you guys. What's your opinion on a 4 year program versus 3 year program? I have a good chance to get into a 4 year program. What do you guys think about staying at the dorm? Visit my funny looking website. http://jameskerala.tripod.com/

Hey!!

I just got my acceptance letter today. So much stress off my mind. =)
I will definitely be able to chill back this Christmas. w00t!

Anyway. see all of you real soon and CONGRATS!
:)

How much should I write to the following question from supplemental application? Only the first question.

1. Describe specifically why you want to attend the accelerated Doctor of Pharmacy program at Massachusetts College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences. Please also include any impressions that you may have of MCPHS and the Worcester, MA or Manchester, NH area.

Is this like essay? How much u wrote?

Here's the official Supp App: http://www.mcphs.edu/admission/docs/PharmD supplemental application - WorcMan.pdf

This one is a one paragraph answer. Don't write an essay. MCPHS does not require supplemental essay. Just provide reasons why you want to attend this school. The reasons should be very obvious and straight forward. Normally people just say what the school has to offer them and what they can offer the school. Good luck!