MCAT cutoff for the ABP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jamie_kee_mac85

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know the MCAT and/or GPA cutoffs for any/all of the schools participating in the Atlantic Bridge Program in Ireland. My MCAT scores are starting to worry me, and after looking at each schools website, all I found was that the MCAT and GPA scores "need to be competitive". Can anyone shed some light on this one. Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

I know where you're coming from. I'm worried about mine too. I emailed Louis kennan about cutoffs for an application to be considered and he emailed back saying that there are no "cutoffs." I asked him how much weight is placed on the MCAT and he said "equal weight to other factors."

There really isn't a clear answer to how competitive our scores will be so I've decided to apply to all 4 schools and see what happens. How about you? What are your thoughts on this?

it's always best to have an MCAT that's competitive, but not all schools look at the MCAT (ie. Trinity doesn't). But all things do seem to have "equal weight"...your PS, grades/courses, research experiences, unique extracurriculars and courses, etc. I know some here who have good MCATs and some who have...rather bad ones.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just to give you an idea, I got in on my 1st try to UCC but not Trinity or UCD with a 28 S (11VR, 9BS and 8PS). Many others I know have much better scores than me but I got in so I don't really care any more. All you can do is try. The worst they can do is say no. Cheers,
M

Just to give you an idea, I got in on my 1st try to UCC but not Trinity or UCD with a 28 S (11VR, 9BS and 8PS). Many others I know have much better scores than me but I got in so I don't really care any more. All you can do is try. The worst they can do is say no. Cheers,
M

Thanks for that post. It is worth a try but at times it seems like a shot in the dark and the selection process is so vague and subjective. but what the hell, $300 isn't too bad
:oops:

When did they start MCAT scores being required for entry? The only school I remember back in 97 was Surgeons ... unless my memory is failing me; I don't remember needing to get my scores forwarded to them either.

When did they start MCAT scores being required for entry? The only school I remember back in 97 was Surgeons ... unless my memory is failing me; I don't remember needing to get my scores forwarded to them either.

In the application instructions they ask us to print off a record of our MCAT scores and include it with our essay, resume, research, etc.

Crappy huh??? But since Trinity doesn't require MCAT, is it harder to get into? For Canadian schools, McMaster is one of the only ones that doesn't require the MCAT and the're very weird in their selection process.

Crappy huh??? But since Trinity doesn't require MCAT, is it harder to get into? For Canadian schools, McMaster is one of the only ones that doesn't require the MCAT and the're very weird in their selection process.
I wouldn't say that about Trinity - the fact that if you are applying to med school as a North American applicant, the chances of you writing it are pretty good anyway.

There is a pretty good chance that many who are applying to Irish schools also from North America either - have poorer MCAT scores and/or GPA as well. Others that apply include Americans who feel that it is relatively cheaper than the US, Canadians who find it too competitive in Canada and those who genuinely want a good medical education or medical/life experience. The big thing about going there is that for both Canadians and Americans, it is harder to get into specific programs back home (eg. orthopedics, emergency, ophthalmology, etc).

I think you'll see that the MCAT has a greater weight now. Moreso than GPA.

sorry nolagas. posted under your account in the computer lab.
remember to log off next time

Most people is my class who didn't do well bombed the verbal reasoning section.

I think the strength of your undergraduate institution is a major factor. Everyone I can think of from my class went to a pretty strong college.

Most people is my class who didn't do well bombed the verbal reasoning section.

I think the strength of your undergraduate institution is a major factor. Everyone I can think of from my class went to a pretty strong college.

So are you in an Irish Med school now person2004?? If so, which one?

Just curious, how would people in Ireland know the strength of colleges in NA? I'm not familiar with admissions abroad but I'm guessing there are known names that are recognized as good colleges but the majority of others are pretty equal I would say.

As for the verbal MCAT, I hope that's the case since that's the section that screwed me over :)

So are you in an Irish Med school now person2004?? If so, which one?

Just curious, how would people in Ireland know the strength of colleges in NA? I'm not familiar with admissions abroad but I'm guessing there are known names that are recognized as good colleges but the majority of others are pretty equal I would say.

As for the verbal MCAT, I hope that's the case since that's the section that screwed me over :)

No, I used to be in med school there.

I'm sure there are lots of good schools in NA that are unknown in Ireland, but there are many schools that are well known. Almost everyone in my class and the classes above and below mine were from top private schools such as Columbia, Stanford, Rice, Vanderbilt or higher ranking public schools such as Michigan, Texas, Virginia, U of Toronto. Maybe they just happen to get applications from people from relatively high ranking schools, but I think their admissions decisions probably picked these students on purpose. How important a factor is your undergraduate college? I really can't say. I was just suggesting that it seems to be a factor.

Members don't see this ad :)
No, I used to be in med school there.

I'm sure there are lots of good schools in NA that are unknown in Ireland, but there are many schools that are well known. Almost everyone in my class and the classes above and below mine were from top private schools such as Columbia, Stanford, Rice, Vanderbilt or higher ranking public schools such as Michigan, Texas, Virginia, U of Toronto. Maybe they just happen to get applications from people from relatively high ranking schools, but I think their admissions decisions probably picked these students on purpose. How important a factor is your undergraduate college? I really can't say. I was just suggesting that it seems to be a factor.

Ok now, that's just scary. :scared:

I second that...freakin' scarry :)

I second that...freakin' scarry :)

Was that meant to be sarcastic? :p It seems to work out in your situation (which is why you asked in the first place)...which uni or college do you go to?

Was that meant to be sarcastic? :p It seems to work out in your situation (which is why you asked in the first place)...which uni or college do you go to?

Sorry dude...not meant to be sarcastic at all...I was actually agreeing with you :)
I went to a small private university in BC...I'm almost positive no one in Ireland would've heard of it.

Sorry dude...not meant to be sarcastic at all...I was actually agreeing with you :)
I went to a small private university in BC...I'm almost positive no one in Ireland would've heard of it.

I went to Mount Allison in New Brunswick and St Mary's in Halifax - pretty sure no one in Ireland had heard of them either, and here I am. Yes, a big name probably can't hurt your admission chances, but you don't need to have graduated summa cum laude from Duke to get in to an Irish med school. I repeat, I am here and I have a lowish MCAT and relatively low GPA (3.58 cumulative for my BSc but much lower if you factor in my arts degree - lower than the absolute GPA cut-off for McMaster for all you Canadians out there, which tells you it is low indeed). Marks are part of the package, but so is your personal statement and how you look overall. I think it is a pretty subjective process really (actually, I know it is a really subjective process); you just have to try and seee if you fit the med school's picture of what they want their class to look like that year. Same as Canada really,
M

Hmmm...to change the subject how can the oldest medical school in the Republic of Ireland only be since 1711(Trinity)?? That is relatively recent...

What the hell did Ireland do the for physicians the prior 2000 years??

I went to Mount Allison in New Brunswick and St Mary's in Halifax - pretty sure no one in Ireland had heard of them either, and here I am. Yes, a big name probably can't hurt your admission chances, but you don't need to have graduated summa cum laude from Duke to get in to an Irish med school. I repeat, I am here and I have a lowish MCAT and relatively low GPA (3.58 cumulative for my BSc but much lower if you factor in my arts degree - lower than the absolute GPA cut-off for McMaster for all you Canadians out there, which tells you it is low indeed). Marks are part of the package, but so is your personal statement and how you look overall. I think it is a pretty subjective process really (actually, I know it is a really subjective process); you just have to try and seee if you fit the med school's picture of what they want their class to look like that year. Same as Canada really,
M

Thanks M for the encouraging post. I'm a little more worried now though knowing that there aren't interviews except at RCSI...but ohh well, we'll see where this process takes us.

Medical facilities and an actual course at TCD were formally established in Trinity in 1711, but medicine teaching through Trinity took place before then.

Also, while what pattycanuck is generally correct, things have changed a little bit and more of the people applying now have decent MCATs/Grades (ie. US-comparable) and it is a decreasing excuse that people who didn't have good enough scores to get into the US are being accepted (or applying). Trinity is interesting in that although it doesn't require the MCAT (nowadays, all colleges but Trinity require it), competition for Trinity places isn't really affected.

Trinity seems to like people with unique experiences who aren't your "typical" premed student. I know that goes for all of the schools, but just in my own class, we have a ranked surfer from Cali, a guy who sings for the Boston Pops, people who've done interesting Masters and PhD's with interesting and different life experiences, as well as those who've published extensively. Also to mention, very good athletes (both Irish and international world / Olympic champions). Even among the north americans, there's a mix - many lived abroad for a substantial period of time, but some of them are your home-grown Americans.

Also, while what pattycanuck is generally correct, things have changed a little bit and more of the people applying now have decent MCATs/Grades (ie. US-comparable) and it is a decreasing excuse that people who didn't have good enough scores to get into the US are being accepted (or applying). Trinity is interesting in that although it doesn't require the MCAT (nowadays, all colleges but Trinity require it), competition for Trinity places isn't really affected.
Generally? Almost all the time :p :D :p :D

If you have a good idea of what specialty you want to go into, you may want to think about the following: if you are considering the "biggie" residencies like orthopedics, radiology, ophthalmology, etc. even the highest MCAT and GPA scores and more specifically even if you rank at the top of your Irish medical graduating class, you will still have no chance at getting in ... there may be an itty bitty chance if one of your parents is the chief of the department at the university you wanted to apply to or even the Dean of the Faculty of Medicine (but if the latter were the case, you'd be accepted into that medical school).

So if you want to get into those types of residencies above, as well as go to California directly after graduation, or loosely anywhere outside of the NE USA, stay back on this side of the Atlantic.

I agree with leorl: there are many distinguishable people there in Ireland. All different walks of life, all different stories to tell!

Is there another Olympic champion besides the one who graduated in my year from Trinity? He's finishing up his residency in my home town about now.

This thread is depressing me. Half the time I feel like I'll get in, and then I come here and my dreams are shattered. :oops:

Olympic champions? My god.....

I can do the best trampoline flips...does that count for anything?!?!? :D

I can do the best trampoline flips...does that count for anything?!?!? :D

Ah lads, lads (as Dr Hogan would say), I think we are getting a little worked up about what we don't ahve and not concentrating on what we do have. Seriously, I probably wouldn't have applied if I had read all of this first, since I am not a world class athelete in anything (as those of you who know me in person will tell you) and, as posted above, do not have spectacular marks. However, I am rich in life experience and here I am.
Most schools look at a balance of 1)marks, 2) volunteer experience and 3) life experience with a dash of 4) hobbies and 5) your personal statement and then decide if you look interesting enough to let in. That's all there is to it. Apply and await the result folks. Don't waste your time trying to take up a sport at Olympic level or write a Booker prize winning novel (no, noone in my class has done this but I bet it would look awesome on the application!:laugh: ). Just be yourself and try to keep the BS on the personal statement down to a minimum - it will be spotted and will not help you get in. Really, it would be the eternal conundrum, "What do they want to see on my application so I can get in". People in my class have done masters degrees, come straight from undergrad, worked as nurses and EMT's, worked as a bug eating naturalist in a museum (that would be me, and believe me, the bug eating part of my job description was a nasty post-hiring surprise), been starving artists (me again, I'm afraid) and done myriad other odd jobs. Like most other things in life, sadly there is no magic formula. Don't be frightened away by all the things you haven't done, be pleased with all the things you have done and present them in the best possible light (I don't usually put the bug eating part of that job on my CV's).
Anyway, good luck to you all. Hope to meet some of you in Cork next fall. Cheers,
M

I agree with leorl: there are many distinguishable people there in Ireland. All different walks of life, all different stories to tell!

Is there another Olympic champion besides the one who graduated in my year from Trinity? He's finishing up his residency in my home town about now.

Not as of yet, that guy was already a gold medalist before coming to TCD and so very nearly did it again 10 years later, the year after he graduated! The international athletes I know have been world champions, but not Olympic champions yet even though one of them has competed. So hopefully 2008!

Not as of yet, that guy was already a gold medalist before coming to TCD and so very nearly did it again 10 years later, the year after he graduated! The international athletes I know have been world champions, but not Olympic champions yet even though one of them has competed. So hopefully 2008!
I know ... as I recall he said that he was in the final cut ... didn't matter as the crew got their a$$es whipped that olympics.

Med2UCC,

How are you finding the school in Cork? Sounds like a nice place.

Cool, I go to UBC...

It'd be awesome if we both end up in Ireland next year :luck:

Med2UCC,

How are you finding the school in Cork? Sounds like a nice place.

Cork and the med school are both great. I really like living in Cork despite the occasional very wet and rainy day and the completely unpredictable weather, but then I lived 16 years in Halifax, NS, so I am used to unpredictable weather:) Profs here are very approachable for the most part, and everyone at the med school office knows your name - in many ways it is like Mount Allison, which is small enough that you get to know most of the people there and your profs get to know you too. Classes are well taught for the most part although there are the occasional ones that are seemingly pointless, but I think you get that anywhere. Certainly in my extensive experience of university education (I've been a student off and on since 1983) that is the case.
Cork is a nice small city, lots of things to do but still navigable for the most part on foot or by bicycle. I occasionally take the bus or take a taxi but only if it is very wet or I have a lot of parcels. Rents are cheaper than in Dublin, and you can still fly from Cork to most of Europe for ridiculously cheap fares. Dublin is also close enough and cheap enough to visit frequently. Anyway, I like it, although I do have to admit I hated it for the first 4 months I was here (the city, not the university), but I think that was me, not Cork. Cheers,
M