ABP match list break down by school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted158872

Does anyone have the 2015 match lists broken down by each school in the ABP?

Members don't see this ad.

if anyone is interested

Attachments

• Match-Talk-2015.pdf
    936.2 KB · Views: 261
  • CIMSA-Match-Talk-2014.pdf
    237.1 KB · Views: 163
  • 2016 Match Results V2.pdf
    902.7 KB · Views: 341
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Ouuu this is a fantastic idea, to collect all the ABP match list and place them together so no one has to go sifting through the www for it

Also what the hell at Trinity match in 2014? Neurosurgery, general surgery, pediatric surgery, ortho, neuro, anesthesia all in the states? Any particular reason for that ridiculous success, followed by somewhat disappointing match in 2015?

Also what the hell at Trinity match in 2014? Neurosurgery, general surgery, pediatric surgery, ortho, neuro, anesthesia all in the states? Any particular reason for that ridiculous success, followed by somewhat disappointing match in 2015?

Also terrible Trinity stats for 2016...

Do you know where to find the Trinity stats for 2016? Are you studying at TCD?

No I'm at a different school. Stats will be finalized soon, but so far they only had 3/9 match to CaRMS first round and a few to the States..

Last edited:
Wow that doesn't sound very good. Any reason why such a trend in the last two years?

The total match rate for Ireland in North America this year was 84.3%. The match document will be posted shortly. Absolutely fantastic year, couldn't be more proud of everyone in Ireland.

2016 stats for all Irish schools including 2nd round data. Absolutely excellent results all around :)

Attachments

• 2016 UCD Match Results V2.pdf
    905.6 KB · Views: 273
Reactions: 4 users
2016 stats for all Irish schools including 2nd round data. Absolutely excellent results all around :)
Really? I'm a bit concerned with UCDs data....great to see the 2016 class did well, but 2014 & 2015 what happened?

The 14 unmatched in Class 2015 is a bit concerning - what happened last year? and of that 14 that went unmatched last year....5 still remain unmatched this cycle...with 4 "staying in ireland or UK".

The 9 unmatched in class of 2014, only 5/9 matched in 2015, with 1 other matched in 2016....and 3 still remaining unmatched.

So between 2014 class and 2015 class...thats 8 people left with nothing and a lot of debt :S

Members don't see this ad :)
Also, the table that shows how "ireland" stacks up, is using incorrect statistics. It says 81.9% for CaRMS, which based on the provided data is incorrect.

For UCD the CaRMS match rate is shown as 10/13....and then 10/11 because 2 of those original 13 didn't match CaRMS but then proceeded to match NRMP. This is fine for overall match rates, but the match rate for CaRMS remains 10/13 NOT 10/11.

Same goes for for RCSI, the CaRMS match rate should remain 11/21 NOT 11/14.

Same for Limerick, CaRMs match rate is 20/25, NOT 20/21.

That would put the match rate for CaRMS to be:

UCD : 10/13
RCSI: 11/21
Limerick: 20/25
TCD: 5/ 11
CORK: 10/14
Galaway: 3/4

Total CaRMs : 59/88 = 67% for the 2016 Irish Class.

The disclaimer of stating : "If applied to both ERAS and CaRMS and matched to ERAS after CaRMS 1st iteration: Counted as an application to ERAS only" Is completely illogical. I totally get that if you fail to match round 1 CaRMS, then you either will match ERAS or forgo ERAS to try for Round 2 Carms (since order is : Round 1 Carms, ERAS, Round 3 CaRMS). So theoretically, some of those that went on to match ERAS after failing to match Round 1 CaRMS, MAY have matched Round 2 CaRMs. Match rates in round 2 are generally pretty low, but maybe then the 67% would be 70% or something to that effect.

Overall, still really decent match Rates in the respective matches, and Overall Match rate combined between Canada/US! Just needed to clarify the numerology used in its context.

Also, the table that shows how "ireland" stacks up, is using incorrect statistics. It says 81.9% for CaRMS, which based on the provided data is incorrect.

For UCD the CaRMS match rate is shown as 10/13....and then 10/11 because 2 of those original 13 didn't match CaRMS but then proceeded to match NRMP. This is fine for overall match rates, but the match rate for CaRMS remains 10/13 NOT 10/11.

Same goes for for RCSI, the CaRMS match rate should remain 11/21 NOT 11/14.

Same for Limerick, CaRMs match rate is 20/25, NOT 20/21.

That would put the match rate for CaRMS to be:

UCD : 10/13
RCSI: 11/21
Limerick: 20/25
TCD: 5/ 11
CORK: 10/14
Galaway: 3/4

Total CaRMs : 59/88 = 67% for the 2016 Irish Class.

The disclaimer of stating : "If applied to both ERAS and CaRMS and matched to ERAS after CaRMS 1st iteration: Counted as an application to ERAS only" Is completely illogical. I totally get that if you fail to match round 1 CaRMS, then you either will match ERAS or forgo ERAS to try for Round 2 Carms (since order is : Round 1 Carms, ERAS, Round 3 CaRMS). So theoretically, some of those that went on to match ERAS after failing to match Round 1 CaRMS, MAY have matched Round 2 CaRMs. Match rates in round 2 are generally pretty low, but maybe then the 67% would be 70% or something to that effect.

Overall, still really decent match Rates in the respective matches, and Overall Match rate combined between Canada/US! Just needed to clarify the numerology used in its context.

The author of the powerpoint mentioned it was tricky trying to compile stats in a way that makes sense. For example some of the people who applied to CARMS round 1 withdrew or deferred in order to match to the U.S. and leave round 2 as a back up. He wasn't sure if they should be counted as "unmatched" in the CARMS data so I think he left both numbers in to try and be as transparent as possible.

Holy crap, UL put so many people and so many competitive residencies. Is there a particular reason NUIG tends to place people in family and psych primarily over the last couple of years?

The author of the powerpoint mentioned it was tricky trying to compile stats in a way that makes sense. For example some of the people who applied to CARMS round 1 withdrew or deferred in order to match to the U.S. and leave round 2 as a back up. He wasn't sure if they should be counted as "unmatched" in the CARMS data so I think he left both numbers in to try and be as transparent as possible.
Actually no...you don't have to withdraw from CaRMS round 1 to match in the US. NRMP happens after CaRMS Round 1. So you can fully go through CaRMS round 1 and rank only places you want to attend, and then if not match, still have NRMP fully on the table.

Unless you mean, there were people who applied CaRMS, and somehow had a change of heart? Which wouldn't make sense, since you already invested the time and energy to apply, you may as well see it through. The only reason to withdraw from CaRMS is if every option in NRMP is superior to a applicant than the options offered in CaRMS. This would arise in the case of getting no interviews in CaRMS, or only a few interviews in a undesirable place. So while this person would withdraw, I would tend to lean towards them to be counted as "unmatched" rather than simply not having participated at all on the other end of the spectrum. They could also simply not rank any sites, same difference. Submit a rank order list with nothing on it, or withdraw. But I totally get what you mean - I just find it unlikely that ALL of those who ended up matching NRMP, that initially applied to CaRMS, did so on their own volition, rather than simply having not matched in CaRMS.

And I thought you can't apply to round 2 Carms, unless you applied to round 1 - or is this a incorrect understanding? I can definitely see what you mean by keeping Round 2 in the backpocket in case better options in NRMP don't pan out.

Last edited:
Actually no...you don't have to withdraw from CaRMS round 1 to match in the US. NRMP happens after CaRMS Round 1. So you can fully go through CaRMS round 1 and rank only places you want to attend, and then if not match, still have NRMP fully on the table.

Unless you mean, there were people who applied CaRMS, and somehow had a change of heart? Which wouldn't make sense, since you already invested the time and energy to apply, you may as well see it through. The only reason to withdraw from CaRMS is if every option in NRMP is superior to a applicant than the options offered in CaRMS. This would arise in the case of getting no interviews in CaRMS, or only a few interviews in a undesirable place. So while this person would withdraw, I would tend to lean towards them to be counted as "unmatched" rather than simply not having participated at all on the other end of the spectrum. They could also simply not rank any sites, same difference. Submit a rank order list with nothing on it, or withdraw.

And I thought you can't apply to round 2 Carms, unless you applied to round 1 - or is this a incorrect understanding? I can definitely see what you mean by keeping Round 2 in the backpocket in case better options in NRMP don't pan out.

There's four main reasons people apply to CARMS and withdraw:
1. As you mentioned, they liked their options in the U.S. significantly better and choose to take a chance.
2. Return of service: most spots are in Ontario and there are lots of students who'd prefer to do residency in the states and move home over spending almost a decade in Ontario. (the reason they apply to CARMS in the first places is in case they don't get enough U.S. interviews for that to make sense)
3. Couples match: if they don't get interviews in the same city or programs they will often opt to withdraw from CARMS to couples match in the U.S. (U.S. has an excellent couples match rate)
4. Partner / loved one in the U.S. (again mainly want to go to the U.S. but, apply to CARMs in case they don't get enough U.S. interviews)

If you apply to Round 1 of CARMS and withdraw before the rank order list deadline you are eligible to apply for round 2.

There's four main reasons people apply to CARMS and withdraw:
1. As you mentioned, they liked their options in the U.S. significantly better and choose to take a chance.
2. Return of service: most spots are in Ontario and there are lots of students who'd prefer to do residency in the states and move home over spending almost a decade in Ontario. (the reason they apply to CARMS in the first places is in case they don't get enough U.S. interviews for that to make sense)
3. Couples match: if they don't get interviews in the same city or programs they will often opt to withdraw from CARMS to couples match in the U.S. (U.S. has an excellent couples match rate)
4. Partner / loved one in the U.S. (again mainly want to go to the U.S. but, apply to CARMs in case they don't get enough U.S. interviews)

If you apply to Round 1 of CARMS and withdraw before the rank order list deadline you are eligible to apply for round 2.

I made an edit on the above post just as you posted:

"But I totally get what you mean - I just find it unlikely that ALL of those who ended up matching NRMP, that initially applied to CaRMS, did so on their own volition, rather than simply having not matched in CaRMS."

The way the data is presented assumes not a single person who matched NRMP, and had initially applied to CaRMS round 1...went unmatched in CaRMS round 1. I think it would be more prudent to show both the 67% CaRMS match rate, and the 81% CaRMS match rate - and say its somewhere in between there. Depending on how it played out.

Regardless, the overall match rates of combined Canada/US is more important, and it seems decent - all things considered. Still worriesome about that 15% unmatched, but c'est la vie.

I made an edit on the above post just as you posted:

"But I totally get what you mean - I just find it unlikely that ALL of those who ended up matching NRMP, that initially applied to CaRMS, did so on their own volition, rather than simply having not matched in CaRMS."

The way the data is presented assumes not a single person who matched NRMP, and had initially applied to CaRMS round 1...went unmatched in CaRMS round 1. I think it would be more prudent to show both the 67% CaRMS match rate, and the 81% CaRMS match rate - and say its somewhere in between there. Depending on how it played out.

Regardless, the overall match rates of combined Canada/US is more important, and it seems decent - all things considered. Still worriesome about that 15% unmatched, but c'est la vie.

Yup I agree the phrasing could be different. The author's reasoning was that he thought it didn't make sense to count the same applicant twice if they matched to either U.S. or Canada (as unmatched in one and matched in the other). He did count an unmatched person twice if they applied to both and didn't match to either.

I would phrase it as: 67% of people who applied to CARMS matched to CARMS and 81% of people who applied to CARMS matched to either CARMS or ERAS.

Yup I agree the phrasing could be different. The author's reasoning was that he thought it didn't make sense to count the same applicant twice if they matched to either U.S. or Canada (as unmatched in one and matched in the other). He did count an unmatched person twice if they applied to both and didn't match to either.

I would phrase it as: 67% of people who applied to CARMS matched to CARMS and 81% of people who applied to CARMS matched to either CARMS or ERAS.

Beauty! It just makes more sense that way, at least to me.

I am a current UL 4th year and just want to clarify our match stats.
1st round CaRMS: 18/25 (4 went into US Match)
ERAS: 15/17
2nd round CaRMS: 2/5

Total: 35/39 = 89.7%

A general question, the above numbers all show those who matched/unmatched. Is there any data on how many in a given class didn't participate in the matches at all? (I.e. opted to do "Research" or had some sort of hiccup and needed to take extra time etc etc), or is pretty much everyone who participated in the match all of the 2012 intake?

A general question, the above numbers all show those who matched/unmatched. Is there any data on how many in a given class didn't participate in the matches at all? (I.e. opted to do "Research" or had some sort of hiccup and needed to take extra time etc etc), or is pretty much everyone who participated in the match all of the 2012 intake?

There are 10 North Americans in my year (2016) who did not apply/chose to stay in Ireland for intern year

It's hard to get legitimate data on that because it would have to be volunteered information and not everyone responds to those surveys whereas the schools know who applied and matched and can give the anonymous data to the NIMSA, AMSA, CIMSA groups. There were definitely a handful of people who had some sort of hiccup (I know 3 off the top of my head) however; there were also others (I can think of 2) who didn't apply because their goal was to stay in Europe (personal reasons, loved ones etc.) or they wanted to delay a year so they could enter the couples match with their partner who was a year behind them.

i want to know how many people in a class delayed the USMLE Step I or did not apply to the match and why.
i think including this data would better reflect the success rates of AB programs.

There were definitely a handful of people who had some sort of hiccup (I know 3 off the top of my head) however; there were also others (I can think of 2) who didn't apply because their goal was to stay in Europe (personal reasons, loved ones etc.) or they wanted to delay a year so they could enter the couples match with their partner who was a year behind them.
what kind of hiccups?

There are 10 North Americans in my year (2016) who did not apply/chose to stay in Ireland for intern year
do you know why?

Last edited by a moderator:
what kind of hiccups?

By far the most common "hiccup" is either failing or not writing a board exam because the student didn't feel ready or adequately prepared. This is can be due to lack of effort / time management etc. however, unfortunately personal/family issues do happen as well.

Reactions: 1 users
The stats were done to reflect the overall match rate of people who applied for residency. The author of this info removed people who didn't match to CaRMS who had then gone on to ERAS to reflect that at UCD, 90% of people who applied for a North American residency got a position, whether it be through CaRMS OR ERAS.

Yes, it is hard to match to CaRMS, the match rate for people applying to CaRMS is lower. This is bound to happen with the structure of CaRMS; for family med, there are only 100 or so spots that IMG's can take, whereas in the states, IMG's can apply for over 3,000 spots in family medicine. Its not even comparable. Your chances are exponentially better in ERAS, absolutely. If you are someone who isn't willing to go to the states, the IMG route is not for you.

The important stat to take from here, 100% of people (at least at UCD) who applied to BOTH CaRMS and ERAS matched. That's what you have to do to virtually guarantee yourself a job as an IMG.

In 2015, the NAC OSCE was introduced as a Canada wide requirement and caused the MCCEE exam to have to be written 6 months earlier to meet this new examination timeline. Multiple people chose not to write these examinations or did poorly due to the examination timeline being changed/pushed up. Since this match (2016) was only the second year that these new regulations in place, there has been a lack of information on what scores are required on the MCCEE now with the new timeline and how to succeed on the NAC. Many students from the 2015 year and 2016 year actively chose not to write these exams and not apply for the Canadian match, take a year out and wait until there was more data available on required MCCEE cutoffs etc. This makes up a SIGNIFICANT portion of people who did not apply. It was a specific and possibly smart choice on their parts, not that they failed exams or couldn't get their application ready in time. You can see that many graduates who are now a year out did match into positions this year, once they did take these examinations.

As you can see, people who apply broadly and smartly do well. There were lots more matches into family med and internal med since there are way more spots in these specialities and its a lot more comfortable for IMGs to apply and match into those specialties, which have lower cut offs and more spots. Lots of people use these as a "back up" and match into them when they don't get Gen Surg or Radiology. Smart move as an IMG. People who don't match at all either didn't apply to both CaRMS and ERAS or applied too narrowly, or to a specialty for which they didn't have competitive scores for. There's a reason behind that. People who did not apply at all vary from they chose not to to play it safe, or there were some who truly did struggle with examinations. The reasons for that also vary - people have had sick parents, Irish partners with which they were debating over whether or not to apply to North America at all etc.

From my own class I can give you a list of reasons people didn't apply:
- Sick parent, couldn't take exams
- Irish partner, waiting to couples match with partner after they complete intern year (multiple people)
- Partner back home in NA, waiting to match with them after they are finished
- Fail on Step 1 (x2)
- Fail on MCCEE
- Did not write MCCEE and NAC OSCE due to new examination timeline; preferred to take a year off and write these exams later to get higher scores (multiple people)
- Wanted to do a research year
- Wanted to go to the UK and had EU citizenship

People aren't holding back on applying just because they generally "don't feel ready". There are really particular reasons and in some cases, are actually strategic. People also have different preferences and citizenships. Some North Americans who are also EU citizens end up wanting to stay in Ireland or the UK to be near family or partners.

Bottom line is, people who get their exams done and apply broadly match.

Holy crap, UL put so many people and so many competitive residencies. Is there a particular reason NUIG tends to place people in family and psych primarily over the last couple of years?

Applicant preference, it varies year by year and is specific to the people. Family medicine and psych have exponentially more spots than other specialties and lower cut offs. As an IMG its not easy to decide to go for a specialty with few spots and high cut offs - its a risk. Lots of people do apply to competitive specialties, then use family medicine or psych as a back up and end up matching to those. Some people just legitimately like these specialities and some just want to play it a bit safer. There's nothing about the school itself that makes you more or less likely to match to a competitive specialty.

Thanks for the insights! Its just important for prospectives to know these sorts of things that go into the data.

Life happens that's for sure, just good to have the complete picture.

Thanks for the insights! Its just important for prospectives to know these sorts of things that go into the data.

Life happens that's for sure, just good to have the complete picture.

Absolutely! Its very important to have an accurate idea of what's going on and how risky it is etc.

The new MCCEE and NAC OSCE changes definitely have been messing with application attempts and match stats the last 2 years. Myself, when I chose to write it, I was writing it 6 months earlier than previously was required, before having completed many of my core rotations. My class also didn't have the match stats for 2015 yet available and we literally had no idea what scores would be required or if we could achieve them. Same issue with the NAC OSCE, which was a new exam altogether. I absolutely back my classmates who chose to hold off and take an extra year to make sure they do great on these exams, its a safer route while things settle down and we get more information.

TCD has not done well in the match year over year, RCSI, UL seem to have the best or more consistent track records with UCD, UCC and NUIG having decent ones. This is just from what i've observed over the years.

This years CaRMS match list for UL is unreal, Uro, Anesthesia, Emerg, 2 Gen Surg, 2 Neuro, 2 Peds, 3 Internal and 8 Family so 20/25 people matched and out of the 5 left 4 matched to ERAS.

The most important thing about a medical school is how much elective time it gives you and at what time, its hard to match if your school is very traditional and does not give you much leeway or flexibility.

Last edited:
TCD has not done well in the match year over year, RCSI, UL seem to have the best or more consistent track records with UCD, UCC and NUIG having decent ones. This is just from what i've observed over the years.

This years CaRMS match list for UL is unreal, Uro, Anesthesia, Emerg, 2 Gen Surg, 2 Neuro, 2 Peds, 3 Internal and 8 Family so 20/25 people matched and out of the 5 left 4 matched to ERAS.

The most important thing about a medical school is how much elective time it gives you and at what time, its hard to match if your school is very traditional and does not give you much leeway or flexibility.

TCD has an issue with poor communication between senior students and junior students. I've been approached by TCD students (I'm a UCD student) asking for matching advice because they really aren't helped along the way. They get 2 summers of elective time, since they're a 5 year program so that's not the issue, but certainly it would be really hard to go through the process without senior students guiding you on how to get electives, do well on boards and match.

Those that failed boards (or scored poorly), are they just completely screwed?

edit; did some reading, I guess the answer is yes, don't let this happen to you.

Last edited:
Those that failed boards (or scored poorly), are they just completely screwed?

edit; did some reading, I guess the answer is yes, don't let this happen to you.

Ya failing a board exam really puts you behind the eight ball. You can still match if you network like crazy and apply to the lowest competitive specialties and regions. Problem is everyone who failed a board exam will be competing for those more lenient programs. Scoring poorly on a board exam can be overcome particularly if the rest of your application is solid. You will be at a significant disadvantage due to ERAS filters but, if you get a few interviews you should be able to show that this was an anomaly and you are still a strong candidate. Nobody wants to be in either position so don't let it happen.

Last edited:
I am a current UL 4th year and just want to clarify our match stats.
1st round CaRMS: 18/25 (4 went into US Match)
ERAS: 15/17
2nd round CaRMS: 2/5

Total: 35/39 = 89.7%

very strong match stats.

I'm curious, when they list the "RCSI" match statistics, are they including graduates from RCSI-Bahrain campus as well? Or is it strictly the students from RCSI-Ireland campus?

I'm curious, when they list the "RCSI" match statistics, are they including graduates from RCSI-Bahrain campus as well? Or is it strictly the students from RCSI-Ireland campus?

Most likely strictly RCSI Ireland, since it is published by the north american irish medical students association.