ABP Application financial/tuition question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PhysioMD

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
You know the question that asks people to be specific about how they will fund their studies. How specific were people? Like 10% from x, 25% from y, 45 % from z, etc. Or did you actually state numbers like - I have savings of this amount or I have a college fund to cover all etc.

I'm wondering if this might be a factor in acceptance. For instance if someone says - My parents have this much money and will pay for 75% or I have this much savings etc vs someone who says 75% will come from bank loans. I wouldn't want them to look down on an applicant. All the people I know who went to Ireland happened to be quite wealthy (from wealthy parents), and I wonder if this might impact an application???

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think so. For my personal application, I just listed all the possible sources of funding without percentage specification. I said most of my tuition and living expenses will be from a line of credit.

It's such a minor part of the application, I doubt they spent much time on it. I think it's more to see if you've thought about how to fund your education. It also never came up in any of my interviews, so I would think it's not a big factor in the decision making process.

Edit: At least I really hope it wouldn't. MCAT/GPA and the personal statement/activities seem to have more weight. It wouldn't make sense to accept a wealthy student whose parents are completely funding them if they have a low MCAT and may theoretically not do well on the board exams.

Last edited:
i put 100% will be from federal loans. i got accepted so i don't think it has an impact on my application.

PS: National University of Ireland Galway , The University of Limerick and Royal College of Surgeons – Medical University of Bahrain are currently not eligible for US Financial Aid.

i put 100% will be from federal loans. i got accepted so i don't think it has an impact on my application.

PS: National University of Ireland Galway , The University of Limerick and Royal College of Surgeons – Medical University of Bahrain are currently not eligible for US Financial Aid.
Which ABP school(s) did you get accepted to, if you don't mind me asking?