Mba

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CMeaker

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What can one do with a MBA if this is your only graduate degree? I am contemplating different areas for graduate school and this is one area I would like to know more about.

Members don't see this ad.

CMeaker said:
What can one do with a MBA if this is your only graduate degree? I am contemplating different areas for graduate school and this is one area I would like to know more about.

For most, an MBA isn't a degree for an entry level job, but permits advancement beyond a certain point in many fields. That is why many MBA schools ideally desire one to have worked (in business) prior to attendance. The typical MBA majors/fields are in finance (including banking), accounting, management (including consulting) and marketing. (Some places offer MBAs in entrepreneurship or international business, but these are usually subsets of those I previously mentioned.) Thus if you pursue any of these fields professionally, you will at some point want/need an MBA.
In medicine, I believe the MBA would be most helpful if you pursue careers in hospital administration or medically-related business consulting -- anyone who went to a school that had a health-related MBA should chime in on this part.

Law2Doc said:
For most, an MBA isn't a degree for an entry level job, but permits advancement beyond a certain point in many fields. That is why many MBA schools ideally desire one to have worked (in business) prior to attendance. The typical MBA majors/fields are in finance (including banking), accounting, management (including consulting) and marketing. (Some places offer MBAs in entrepreneurship or international business, but these are usually subsets of those I previously mentioned.) Thus if you pursue any of these fields professionally, you will at some point want/need an MBA.
In medicine, I believe the MBA would be most helpful if you pursue careers in hospital administration or medically-related business consulting -- anyone who went to a school that had a health-related MBA should chime in on this part.

To add onto your last two, I would also say VC, pharma, and biotech.

Members don't see this ad :)
An MBA can get you to the Apprentice 5. If you are interested in that kind if stuff!

BESTPHARMACY said:
An MBA can get you to the Apprentice 5. If you are interested in that kind if stuff!
who would be interested now that they say martha stewart is going to run things. trump was the only reason to watch.

vc, pharma, and biotech--yeah!