MBA without GMAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fisheyes

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Does it make a difference if u do MBA without giving gmat..coz some of the universities dont need gmat....
I am planning to do MBA in health care.
I need some guidance here...

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

fisheyes said:
Hi,

Does it make a difference if u do MBA without giving gmat..coz some of the universities dont need gmat....

Thanks

What is your ultimate career goal? Unlike med schools, where all are basically regarded as good, MBAs come in a wider range. As such employers tend to place more emphasis on the school ranking/pedigree. Most, if not all, of the MBAs that will open any doors will require the GMAT.
Bear in mind that MBA is not a professional degree, and is not required for any particular job. So it pays to have a target before launching yourself down this path. Good luck.

I have never heard of any reputable program (at least on the mid-atlantic) that didn't require GMAT. You can take classes for a semester usually but GMAT is usually required. Unless you have already sat for the MCAT, some schools if you are doing an MD/MBA will waive GMAT with good MCAT scores. You have to check into individual schools you are applying to though.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank u guys for the prompt reply..
I am a foriegn trained Dentist..i would like to do MBA in health care as i told u..as it will be helpful for me back in my home country...
My only concern was, there are uni like devry which admit students without giving gmat (Thats not my 1st option though)
I dont know the reputation of that university ...but anyway.. short cut route was kind of tempting me...
But if the uni is not so good its not worth it i guess......

fisheyes said:
Thank u guys for the prompt reply..
I am a foriegn trained Dentist..i would like to do MBA in health care as i told u..as it will be helpful for me back in my home country...
My only concern was, there are uni like devry which admit students without giving gmat (Thats not my 1st option though)
I dont know the reputation of that university ...but anyway.. short cut route was kind of tempting me...
But if the uni is not so good its not worth it i guess......

If you want the MBA just for the letters after your name, I suspect there are probably some questionably reputable routes (online and the like) that will give you one without having a GMAT, if you satisfy their curricula and pay the tuition. The degree would be pretty worthless and not get you much of a job here in the states, but I certainly cannot comment as to whether it would be regarded better or differently wherever your home country is.

I agree with u :thumbup:

thanks law2doc

You need to goto a top MBA program here in the states if you plan to apply to a top ranked firm.

If not.... then you can goto any dinky MBA program.

... for the paper degree

There are a few good MBA programs that do not require the GMAT; they just don't tell the applicants of their policy. The director of admissions at UFlorida told me that a person with a master's degree and a recent GRE does not need to take the GMAT. He then offered to take me into the program at $26,000 a year. No thanks!

deuist said:
There are a few good MBA programs that do not require the GMAT; they just don't tell the applicants of their policy. The director of admissions at UFlorida told me that a person with a master's degree and a recent GRE does not need to take the GMAT. He then offered to take me into the program at $26,000 a year. No thanks!

Just bear in mind that in the MBA world, the US News rankings are considered far more important than in medicine. While all allo med schools might be considered quite good and comparable to a residency director, a potential employer at, say, a big Wall Street finance shop or big name consulting firm might not even want to talk to someone outside of the top 20 graduate business schools. UFla is ranked tied for 41, and the degree is probably worth more regionally than nationally. Know your target job and their feeder schools before you jump into this path.

Law2Doc said:
Just bear in mind that in the MBA world, the US News rankings are considered far more important than in medicine. While all allo med schools might be considered quite good and comparable to a residency director, a potential employer at, say, a big Wall Street finance shop or big name consulting firm might not even want to talk to someone outside of the top 20 graduate business schools. UFla is ranked tied for 41, and the degree is probably worth more regionally than nationally. Know your target job and their feeder schools before you jump into this path.

I don't think that U.S. News is the most prestigious for ranking business schools. I've heard that Business Week and even the Wall Street Journal are looked upon more favorably. Also, U.S. News ranks individual departments. While UF's overall score is pretty low, the marketing and accounting departments are ranked in the top ten, if I'm recalling the rankings correctly.

deuist said:
I don't think that U.S. News is the most prestigious for ranking business schools. I've heard that Business Week and even the Wall Street Journal are looked upon more favorably. Also, U.S. News ranks individual departments. While UF's overall score is pretty low, the marketing and accounting departments are ranked in the top ten, if I'm recalling the rankings correctly.

US News is probably better than Business Week, as it is updated annually, rather than every two years, but if you prefer Business week, you should note that UF still didn't appear to make the top 50 in the last ranking that is on their website (2004)... I have no idea how employers regard specific departments within schools and whether they would deviate from the regular ranking based on that. Again, I suspect the school does better regionally, as there aren't a lot of better ranked local competitors, and Florida isn't the biggest market for things like finance.

fisheyes said:
Hi,

Thanks

Actually, there are some good MBA programs, like at the University of Michigan (Executive track) where if you have a professional degree (e.g., JD, MD, DDS, PharmD, etc.), you can skip the GMAT since you've proven your ability to tackle difficult graduate programs like the MBA. However, a foreign dental degree is usually a BDS or other undergraduate credential and may not permit you to bypass or forego the GMAT requirement since technically you do not possess a professional graduate level degree, unless you actually have a DMD or DDS.

Clark University in MA has an accredited MBA program that takes the GRE in lieu of the the GMAT, you just have to tell them you are using that score instead.

MedSchoolHopefu said:
Clark University in MA has an accredited MBA program that takes the GRE in lieu of the the GMAT, you just have to tell them you are using that score instead.

But you fall into the whole lack of ranking quagmire mentioned above.